Get on the Bus Reviews

• Marcus W Super Reviewer
    Jun 17, 2016

Here Spike Lee tackles black history as always, but this time presents more rounded arguments and opinions.

• Apr 26, 2016

Fictionalized account of the million man march is marred by slow pacing and one dimensional stock characters.

• Dec 08, 2015

Looking through the movies that I like, Get On The Bus is probably not a title you would think to find on a list of movies that I really like. Not only did I really enjoy this movie as a drama with what I found to be good writing along with good very authentic acting but I felt like a came away learning something. Maybe learning is not the best word, but came away with a better understanding of what the movie touched on. I am from Philadelphia I walk the same streets and breathe the same air everyday with African American men. I am friendly with just about everyone I come across, only being somewhat close to a few in my life though. I felt like a gained some knowledge and a better understanding in my eyes of in my opinion a somewhat misunderstood group of people in American society. A group full of black men on their way to the million man march? How could a movie about this be interesting at all without being overly preachy and "pro black." Well put what you feel like you may think about this movie aside and give it a chance, and you just may enjoy it like me. You get all aspects on this bus trip. From a distant father who is trying to teach his son some culture and history, but with a twist he has his son handcuffed to him because he is a criminal. The old school guys in the back of the bus who like to reminisce about the old day sand sing old tunes acapella, and overall want to have a good time. Then you also have the reformed gangbanger who has tried to turn his life around, there are many layers to this drama. It is interesting what these men come to argue about, and how relationships and bonds are made and broken on this journey to the march. But regardless of their differences it is a story of brotherhood and unityin the face of adversity.

• Apr 28, 2015

A little know gem from Lee that mixes humor with intense drama.

A little know gem from Lee that mixes humor with intense drama.

• Jim H Super Reviewer
    Oct 19, 2014

A cross-section of African-American men travel cross-country by bus to the Million Man March. There are films that rise above their politics, films that promote a particular political ideology but also tell an intimate, human story. In literature, I think of Upton Sinclair's The Jungle as a representative example. This is not one of those films. Spike Lee's Get on the Bus is so pat and obvious in its politics that it doesn't get a chance to breathe on its own and its characters never rise above the types they represent. Lee's talent keeps the film afloat, and his camera tricks give the film an energy that we've come to expect from a "Spike Lee Joint," but the real problem remains in the script. This is not Lee or writer Reggie Rock Bythewood debating with himself; if you're confused about the film's politics, Charles S. Dutton lays it all out at the end for you. Overall, I don't have a lot of opinions about the political statements themselves, but I can say that the film is confined by its message.

• Aug 15, 2014

Pretty good but not my favorite Spike Lee movie.

Pretty good but not my favorite Spike Lee movie.

• Jul 03, 2014

One of the best movies of the 90's, spike lee's profound understanding of his culture is depicted well in this african-american masterpiece.

• Feb 26, 2014

Another winner from Spike lee, with a great cast and a great story to tell.

Another winner from Spike lee, with a great cast and a great story to tell.

• Jul 29, 2013

Comme d'habitude, Spike Lee nous sert un film touchant, drole, humain, bien plus intelligent qu'il ne le laisse paraitre au premier abord. Interprete par un ensemble cast fabuleux, Get on the Bus est mis en scene avec genie par Spike Lee, qui utilise les filtres de couleur avec la dexterite d'un Soderbergh ou d'un Oliver Stone, et se voit magnifie par une bande-son de haute volee. Get on the Bus est un film indispensable.

• May 28, 2013

I always heard Spike Lee is a huge black power kinda guy and this movie really shows it. It's a group of black men on their way to the million man march. Partially the whole movie takes place on a bus, with tons of pretty interesting conversation but it does get old after awhile. The characters were pretty interesting but it gets a little dumb when you find out their back stories that seem to be a bit far fetched. This offered a few good laughs and kept you entertained but lost me toward the end.