Ghost Dog - The Way of the Samurai - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ghost Dog - The Way of the Samurai Reviews

½ June 17, 2017
So brilliant on so many levels. First and foremost you have to watch it at least twice to appreciate its brilliance. Oscar winning performance by Forest Whitaker. Interesting to see his versatile skill set as a martial artist.

Some funny parts that weren't meant to be funny. Those are usually the best. Like the dog that continually stares at Whitaker lol. Also the dialogue in the park between Peraline played by Camille Winbush & Whitaker, hilarious. One of the funniest parts was the Italian mobster Sonny (Cliff Gorman) rapping and dancing to Flavor Flav Public Enemy lol! Oh and last but not least, the music soundtrack put together by The Rza, fabulous! Go see it!
June 10, 2017
Cool as hell. Whitaker is quite the coolheaded badass as he drifts through contract killings, adhering to his code. The film is full of quirky, interesting characters, a great score, some really funny moments, and style to spare.
April 10, 2017
It'd been years since I had revisited this one and I recently gave it a spin in conjunction with Le Samourai, upon which it's loosely based, and I would honestly say that this one spoke to me more than the original for whatever reasons. Maybe it's fond nostalgia to revisit this one, maybe it's simply a better film in my mind, but I dug this one just a little bit more.

Forest Whitaker plays the titular Ghost Dog, a taciturn killer who works only for one mobster, who had saved him from an attack several years earlier. He works to serve as a 'retainer', following the way of samurai, but eventually the Italians find a reason to turn on him and our hero is left out in the open to fend for himself.

I love this film and it's definitely recommended.
½ March 22, 2017
As inspired as it is unconventional, "Ghost Dog" is brilliant.
February 20, 2017
classic Jarmucsh movie!
January 12, 2017
Not bad. Forest Whitaker is good and I love the soundtrack by RZA.
December 21, 2016
Not buying it. The whole thing... trying too hard.
½ December 1, 2016
I forgot how great this is. RZA!
November 28, 2016
An unusual movie, like a sailboat built on the roof of a derelict building.
½ November 22, 2016
Dont kick a sleeping dog, or at least dont try to kill Ghost Dog. Dumb mafioso wants revenge on something themselves set up. The Ghost dog lives in the spiritual path, with honour and control. Stylish modern american adaption of a samurai tale.
September 25, 2016
One of Jim Jarmusch's less arty and annoying films. This is actually a very cool film. Forrest Whitaker is a quite hitman who lives his life to the rules of the Samurai. His master, to whom he owes his life, is part of one of the most silly mafia organisations ever portrayed on the big screen. The film is very quirky and, at times, funny.
September 1, 2016
A truly unique film. A man steeped in honor and tradition who finds himself indebted to and serving a crowd of mob thugs. Also some really offbeat humor. The exchanges between Ghost Dog and the French ice cream man are priceless.
June 13, 2016
but how are pigeons samurai?
May 30, 2016
This movie consisted of 15 minutes of boring assassination scenes, 25 minutes of useless dialogue, and an hour of Forest Whitaker silently walking, reading, driving, listening to music, and thinking. This movie moves at a painfully slow pace and the final conflict resolution left me annoyed and dissatissfied. Although praised for assimilating different cultures, this film is forgettable. I cannot possibly recommend this movie to anyone as it left me so bored.
½ April 1, 2016
Very well told and a cool soundtrack that follows. Forest Whitaker + A samurai sword= Awesome!
½ March 22, 2016
A poetic and visually striking mixture of samurai and gangster films that is calm at times and heartstopping at others.
January 22, 2016
Unapologetically imaginative and original, it's a freak meeting of the samurai and gangster genres and one that is perhaps surprisingly involving.
June 7, 2015
Forest Whitaker Is One Of My Favorite Film Actors.
½ June 5, 2015
Cool action and filmed well.
½ May 31, 2015
This film has neither a ghost, nor a dog in it. Very disappointed.