Ghost Dog - The Way of the Samurai - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ghost Dog - The Way of the Samurai Reviews

January 6, 2018
A good crime movie. The shootouts are not so impressive but it's good
½ January 5, 2018
Bloody, schlocky, and a great performance by Forest Whitaker.
December 2, 2017
Quirky Gangster/Hitman film by Jim Jarmusch. Forest Whitaker is pretty good in the lead, just have a hard time buying into him being a Samurai and looking so out of shape. Maybe if it was Way of the Sumo, then I could buy into it more. But all jokes aside this movie is pretty fun and has a nice little story. A couple of the gangsters are pretty funny.
October 25, 2017
So brilliant on so many levels. First and foremost you have to watch it at least twice to appreciate its brilliance. Oscar winning performance by Forest Whitaker. Interesting to see his versatile skill set as a martial artist.

There are some funny parts that weren't meant to be funny as well, those are usually the best lol. Like that dog who continually stares at Whitaker in the park lol. Also the dialogue in the park between Peraline (Camille Winbush) & Whitaker, hilarious lol! One of the funniest parts though was the Italian mobster Sonny (Cliff Gorman) rapping and dancing to a song by Rap Artist Flavor Flav of Public Enemy lol! Oh, and last but not least, the music soundtrack put together by The Rza, fabulous! Go see it!
October 6, 2017
By turns hilarious and cool, Ghost Dog is up there with the most genuinely awesome movies of all time, which is only one of many titles this mediation on human essence has to boast, along with an assortment of jaw-dropping action sequences that are perhaps the best since Costa-Gavras's Z.
June 10, 2017
Cool as hell. Whitaker is quite the coolheaded badass as he drifts through contract killings, adhering to his code. The film is full of quirky, interesting characters, a great score, some really funny moments, and style to spare.
April 10, 2017
It'd been years since I had revisited this one and I recently gave it a spin in conjunction with Le Samourai, upon which it's loosely based, and I would honestly say that this one spoke to me more than the original for whatever reasons. Maybe it's fond nostalgia to revisit this one, maybe it's simply a better film in my mind, but I dug this one just a little bit more.

Forest Whitaker plays the titular Ghost Dog, a taciturn killer who works only for one mobster, who had saved him from an attack several years earlier. He works to serve as a 'retainer', following the way of samurai, but eventually the Italians find a reason to turn on him and our hero is left out in the open to fend for himself.

I love this film and it's definitely recommended.
½ March 22, 2017
As inspired as it is unconventional, "Ghost Dog" is brilliant.
February 20, 2017
classic Jarmucsh movie!
January 12, 2017
Not bad. Forest Whitaker is good and I love the soundtrack by RZA.
December 21, 2016
Not buying it. The whole thing... trying too hard.
½ December 1, 2016
I forgot how great this is. RZA!
November 28, 2016
An unusual movie, like a sailboat built on the roof of a derelict building.
½ November 22, 2016
Dont kick a sleeping dog, or at least dont try to kill Ghost Dog. Dumb mafioso wants revenge on something themselves set up. The Ghost dog lives in the spiritual path, with honour and control. Stylish modern american adaption of a samurai tale.
September 25, 2016
One of Jim Jarmusch's less arty and annoying films. This is actually a very cool film. Forrest Whitaker is a quite hitman who lives his life to the rules of the Samurai. His master, to whom he owes his life, is part of one of the most silly mafia organisations ever portrayed on the big screen. The film is very quirky and, at times, funny.
September 1, 2016
A truly unique film. A man steeped in honor and tradition who finds himself indebted to and serving a crowd of mob thugs. Also some really offbeat humor. The exchanges between Ghost Dog and the French ice cream man are priceless.
June 13, 2016
but how are pigeons samurai?
May 30, 2016
This movie consisted of 15 minutes of boring assassination scenes, 25 minutes of useless dialogue, and an hour of Forest Whitaker silently walking, reading, driving, listening to music, and thinking. This movie moves at a painfully slow pace and the final conflict resolution left me annoyed and dissatissfied. Although praised for assimilating different cultures, this film is forgettable. I cannot possibly recommend this movie to anyone as it left me so bored.
½ April 1, 2016
Very well told and a cool soundtrack that follows. Forest Whitaker + A samurai sword= Awesome!
½ March 22, 2016
A poetic and visually striking mixture of samurai and gangster films that is calm at times and heartstopping at others.