Ghost Dog - The Way of the Samurai - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ghost Dog - The Way of the Samurai Reviews

January 12, 2017
Not bad. Forest Whitaker is good and I love the soundtrack by RZA.
December 21, 2016
Not buying it. The whole thing... trying too hard.
½ December 1, 2016
I forgot how great this is. RZA!
November 28, 2016
An unusual movie, like a sailboat built on the roof of a derelict building.
½ November 22, 2016
Dont kick a sleeping dog, or at least dont try to kill Ghost Dog. Dumb mafioso wants revenge on something themselves set up. The Ghost dog lives in the spiritual path, with honour and control. Stylish modern american adaption of a samurai tale.
September 25, 2016
One of Jim Jarmusch's less arty and annoying films. This is actually a very cool film. Forrest Whitaker is a quite hitman who lives his life to the rules of the Samurai. His master, to whom he owes his life, is part of one of the most silly mafia organisations ever portrayed on the big screen. The film is very quirky and, at times, funny.
September 23, 2016
First and foremost, this movie is so deep you have to watch it at least twice to appreciate its brilliance. Interesting to see the versatile skill set of Forest Whitaker as a martial artist. Matrix meets a Samurai. Go see it!
September 1, 2016
A truly unique film. A man steeped in honor and tradition who finds himself indebted to and serving a crowd of mob thugs. Also some really offbeat humor. The exchanges between Ghost Dog and the French ice cream man are priceless.
June 13, 2016
but how are pigeons samurai?
May 30, 2016
This movie consisted of 15 minutes of boring assassination scenes, 25 minutes of useless dialogue, and an hour of Forest Whitaker silently walking, reading, driving, listening to music, and thinking. This movie moves at a painfully slow pace and the final conflict resolution left me annoyed and dissatissfied. Although praised for assimilating different cultures, this film is forgettable. I cannot possibly recommend this movie to anyone as it left me so bored.
½ April 1, 2016
Very well told and a cool soundtrack that follows. Forest Whitaker + A samurai sword= Awesome!
½ March 22, 2016
A poetic and visually striking mixture of samurai and gangster films that is calm at times and heartstopping at others.
January 22, 2016
Unapologetically imaginative and original, it's a freak meeting of the samurai and gangster genres and one that is perhaps surprisingly involving.
June 7, 2015
Forest Whitaker Is One Of My Favorite Film Actors.
½ June 5, 2015
Cool action and filmed well.
½ May 31, 2015
This film has neither a ghost, nor a dog in it. Very disappointed.
May 19, 2015
I honestly can't say anything particularly bad about this film, that isn't a personal gripe. Everything from the acting to the soundtrack/score, to the staging, was executed very well, and the use of samurai code in a modern society is almost refreshing.
½ March 29, 2015
Strange movie about a man and his principles...and two big ass guns. Ghost Dog is a ridiculous, yet intriguing film that catches you off guard and draws you in as you follow a man who follows the ancient way of the samurai in his own way while carrying out hits for the mob...until the wrong person witnesses the crime and the mob comes after the wrong man. Well worth the 116 minutes.
½ March 29, 2015
The best by Jim Jarmush that I have seen, after Dead Man. It seems that Jarmusch is at ease when he has to describe killing people.
The mafiosi are quite ridiculous, they looks as they have been taken from some operetta. But the plot is strong, and the movie quite good.
One thing is to noted, to my opinion: usually Jim Jarmusch tells the difficult, or impossibility, in communicating. In Stranger than Paradise, the Hungarian immigrant wants to be American, refuse to speak any language but American English, he tells "I am American just like you"; despite this, he can never communicate.
Here an African American living like an old Japanese samurai is the best friend of another black man that can speak only French. They do not have a common language, but they communicate perfectly.
February 9, 2015
I'm surprised so many people liked this. Forrest is fairly good in supporting roles, but I can no way see an old, lazy-eyed, out-of-shape Ghost Dog continually practice his Samuri abilities on roof tops when he isn't overly concerned with what he's playing on his car stereo which happens all too often and wastes movie time. The acting wasn't very good and the effects are like what we used to do with a 1990s camcorder. Throw in quoted morals of an actual Samurai book for extra cheese and a few good stereotypical Italian mobsters can't save this film from being bad.