Ghost Dog - The Way of the Samurai - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ghost Dog - The Way of the Samurai Reviews

June 13, 2016
but how are pigeons samurai?
May 30, 2016
This movie consisted of 15 minutes of boring assassination scenes, 25 minutes of useless dialogue, and an hour of Forest Whitaker silently walking, reading, driving, listening to music, and thinking. This movie moves at a painfully slow pace and the final conflict resolution left me annoyed and dissatissfied. Although praised for assimilating different cultures, this film is forgettable. I cannot possibly recommend this movie to anyone as it left me so bored.
½ April 1, 2016
Very well told and a cool soundtrack that follows. Forest Whitaker + A samurai sword= Awesome!
½ March 22, 2016
A poetic and visually striking mixture of samurai and gangster films that is calm at times and heartstopping at others.
January 22, 2016
Unapologetically imaginative and original, it's a freak meeting of the samurai and gangster genres and one that is perhaps surprisingly involving.
June 7, 2015
Forest Whitaker Is One Of My Favorite Film Actors.
½ June 5, 2015
Cool action and filmed well.
½ May 31, 2015
This film has neither a ghost, nor a dog in it. Very disappointed.
May 19, 2015
I honestly can't say anything particularly bad about this film, that isn't a personal gripe. Everything from the acting to the soundtrack/score, to the staging, was executed very well, and the use of samurai code in a modern society is almost refreshing.
½ March 29, 2015
Strange movie about a man and his principles...and two big ass guns. Ghost Dog is a ridiculous, yet intriguing film that catches you off guard and draws you in as you follow a man who follows the ancient way of the samurai in his own way while carrying out hits for the mob...until the wrong person witnesses the crime and the mob comes after the wrong man. Well worth the 116 minutes.
½ March 29, 2015
The best by Jim Jarmush that I have seen, after Dead Man. It seems that Jarmusch is at ease when he has to describe killing people.
The mafiosi are quite ridiculous, they looks as they have been taken from some operetta. But the plot is strong, and the movie quite good.
One thing is to noted, to my opinion: usually Jim Jarmusch tells the difficult, or impossibility, in communicating. In Stranger than Paradise, the Hungarian immigrant wants to be American, refuse to speak any language but American English, he tells "I am American just like you"; despite this, he can never communicate.
Here an African American living like an old Japanese samurai is the best friend of another black man that can speak only French. They do not have a common language, but they communicate perfectly.
February 9, 2015
I'm surprised so many people liked this. Forrest is fairly good in supporting roles, but I can no way see an old, lazy-eyed, out-of-shape Ghost Dog continually practice his Samuri abilities on roof tops when he isn't overly concerned with what he's playing on his car stereo which happens all too often and wastes movie time. The acting wasn't very good and the effects are like what we used to do with a 1990s camcorder. Throw in quoted morals of an actual Samurai book for extra cheese and a few good stereotypical Italian mobsters can't save this film from being bad.
February 3, 2015
Jim Jarmusch's ''Ghost Dog'' is gritty and packed with action, but also makes the public have sympathy for the main character and delivers clever dialogue and some philosophical thoughts.
January 16, 2015
Loved the movie. In spite of its action and violence theme thought it also seemed quite humorous the way he followed the way of the Samurai. Especially loved it being a fan of the book Hagakure ! Well acted with some cool direction.
December 30, 2014
Solid man. Probably because of the awesome RZA soundtrack
November 12, 2014
October 17, 2014
I know this is going to sound weird;
I *loved* Ghost Dog, I just don't know why! I didn't so much enjoy it as I was *fixated* by it
It was definitely surreal, and Whitaker was perfect. After the scene with the ice cream vender, I remember thinking to myself, "does the dog speak French, too?"
My husband & son enjoyed it also, they just haven't bothered to figure out why ; )
October 6, 2014
While the premise is certainly original, and, of course, it's worth watching for a perfect Whitaker performance, it's unfairly hampered down by a disappointing plot that neither makes use of the movie's originality nor does it try to mesh samurai/gangster conventions organically. As a character mood piece, it gets the job done.
½ September 25, 2014
A rather original film, but it seems remote and Whitaker wasn't the best choise.
September 10, 2014
A little too slow and unprofessional