Girl With a Pearl Earring - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Girl With a Pearl Earring Reviews

April 24, 2018
Does anyone notice that Catherina's first costume was almost exactly the same as the figure in Woman in Blue Reading a Letter?
½ February 7, 2018
Cinematography was stunning, so many scenes were paintings. The lighting was fabulous and historical scenery and costumers lovely. The storyline left some gaps and empty resolutions. Johansson played her role well with shyness but still curious with touches of determination.
½ February 2, 2018
Boring and nothing happens in the movie. Slightly more entertaining than watching paint dry on the canvas.
December 30, 2017
colin firth with long hair, definitely worth a watch!! it wasnt lighthearted, but haunting..if u've read the book b4, u'll probably find the movie 2nd rate
December 15, 2017
Watched it on HBO. I had never heard of it before. Excellent!!
December 2, 2017
Johannes Vermeer's new house assistant is something special. She is very pretty, some like her a bit too much, others are more sceptical about her presence and unexperienced ways. She does what she is told, but when Vermeer himself ask her to model for one of his pieces, things turn tricky - what will his jealous wife say?

Solid performances by Scarlett Johansson as the girl and Colin Firth as Vermeer. It looks very well dated, and the scenery looks like the guys pictures at times. Some subplots are added on this film based on a book based on a picture. I wrote a piece of this special adaptation some years ago, but I never read the book or saw the film (haha, teachers) but it's really a nice film.

Nothing exciting, but something pretty and interesting as it's loosely based on things that may have happened. The true story will probably never be told.

6.5 out of 10 girls in pearls.
October 28, 2017
Good production and full of beauty until the story derails into jealousies and inappropriate desires. It gets ugly after. A bit too english for my taste though.
½ October 7, 2017
Pretty good. I liked it.
August 4, 2017
Story about 1600's Holland and a class struggle during that period between a maid, a painter, his wife, and their benefactor. Extremely well done. One of my favorite movies. Colin Firth should have won best actor for this movie.
½ June 1, 2017
I really like the film adaptation of the Girl with a Pearl Earring novel. The attention to historic detail is fantastic, the acting is great, and the music is beautiful. It's somewhat slow, but I think that's part of its charm. I hope it comes to Blu-Ray at some point, the DVD version doesn't look very crisp.
March 4, 2017
Delicate, for those who like softness
November 5, 2016
A wonderful film that speculates on the creation of one of the masterpieces of Vermeer. A 16-year-old peasant girl becomes the subject of the famous painter's work. Vermeer's wife is jealous with Griet who is harrassed by Vermeer's patron. Neither Vermeer or Griet have a thought of maintaining relationships, no words of love are pronounced, but the viewer understands that both of them have deep feelings which are coveyed through glances, gestures, silence and a few words about the essence of art. The film is a good example of the detals' symbolism.
½ October 22, 2016
3,5/5 Ratings for The Girl with a Pearl Earring
F: 72%
R: 28%
Science Art Drama
½ September 26, 2016
Atmospheric but fictional story behind the painting of the famous picture. The film captures the tension in the relationships as people try to use a servant girl to meet their own ends.
February 7, 2016
Visually stunning, but lacks of emotions
½ November 27, 2015
An intriguing drama centered on the strong sexual tension between Johannes Vermeer and a woman who would supposedly become the subject of his most famous painting - but even if visually stunning, the result could have been a bit more involving.
½ September 12, 2015
Visually stunning but the lack of substance and excessive lengthiness make it a definite snoozer.
August 22, 2015
Content to be simple, with subtle performances and some very serene moments.
½ July 31, 2015
So boring I turned it off
½ July 27, 2015
Love the painting. Love both actors and even the way the director chose the grainy way of presenting life in the 17th century, but really, it's a bit of a dud.