Girl With a Pearl Earring - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Girl With a Pearl Earring Reviews

½ June 1, 2017
I really like the film adaptation of the Girl with a Pearl Earring novel. The attention to historic detail is fantastic, the acting is great, and the music is beautiful. It's somewhat slow, but I think that's part of its charm. I hope it comes to Blu-Ray at some point, the DVD version doesn't look very crisp.
March 4, 2017
Delicate, for those who like softness
November 5, 2016
A wonderful film that speculates on the creation of one of the masterpieces of Vermeer. A 16-year-old peasant girl becomes the subject of the famous painter's work. Vermeer's wife is jealous with Griet who is harrassed by Vermeer's patron. Neither Vermeer or Griet have a thought of maintaining relationships, no words of love are pronounced, but the viewer understands that both of them have deep feelings which are coveyed through glances, gestures, silence and a few words about the essence of art. The film is a good example of the detals' symbolism.
½ October 22, 2016
3,5/5 Ratings for The Girl with a Pearl Earring
F: 72%
R: 28%
Science Art Drama
½ September 26, 2016
Atmospheric but fictional story behind the painting of the famous picture. The film captures the tension in the relationships as people try to use a servant girl to meet their own ends.
February 7, 2016
Visually stunning, but lacks of emotions
½ November 27, 2015
An intriguing drama centered on the strong sexual tension between Johannes Vermeer and a woman who would supposedly become the subject of his most famous painting - but even if visually stunning, the result could have been a bit more involving.
½ September 12, 2015
Visually stunning but the lack of substance and excessive lengthiness make it a definite snoozer.
August 22, 2015
Content to be simple, with subtle performances and some very serene moments.
½ July 31, 2015
So boring I turned it off
½ July 27, 2015
Love the painting. Love both actors and even the way the director chose the grainy way of presenting life in the 17th century, but really, it's a bit of a dud.
June 29, 2015
Good script and fine acting at a snails pace but still a worthy watch.
May 22, 2015
I somehow feel that the book should be better. The movie is okay.
April 28, 2015
Great movie - beautiful and touching...:) I simply loved its atmosphere and the actors were perfect too... :)
½ March 22, 2015
Not very dramatic, took a while to get going. Ok film, not the worst I've ever seen.
March 22, 2015
A slow burn of a film, visually unique and some subtle performances. Enjoyed it.
½ February 28, 2015
Was a tad slow but well acted and a good story.
February 21, 2015
Pearl earring? Did the dude pull out at a funny angle or something?
½ February 2, 2015
Every shot is a painting; every silence is the best dialogue. It's a striking remainder of the beauty and intensity that filmmaking has.
January 3, 2015
Love Scarlet Johanssen in this surprising indie flick.