Red Riding Hood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Red Riding Hood Reviews

November 20, 2016
Red Riding Hood is a disappointing film. It is about a young girl falls for an orphaned woodcutter much to her family's displeasure. Amanda Seyfried and Gary Oldman give horrible performances. The script is badly written. Catherine Hardwicke did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
November 10, 2016
completely loved the story that i watched it 4 times in a row XD !!!!!
October 30, 2016
i really like this movie because amanda seyfried is os hot and gorgwous and such a good actress
June 25, 2016
A very different story then the childhood "Little Red Riding Hood" but a very good spin off. Yes she still goes to Grandma's house, yes she still meets a wolf, but its way different.
June 18, 2016
It's such a beautiful movie for me. I would really love it if there's going to be a sequel. Maybe a story going about Valerie and Peter having a child and them being in danger and such.
June 14, 2016
No is a bad movie, but, yes very silly.
April 30, 2016
One of my all time favorite movies of all time. I love this movie and I love Amanda Seyfried. She is such a great Red riding hood.
March 26, 2016
I really liked it. The only movie to make a interesting werewolf that I've seen. I'm surprised with all the bad reviews.
½ March 26, 2016
Reminds me of Twilight. Poor acting, poor story telling, and it was just bad just bad.
½ March 24, 2016
Fantastic!!!!!=) I absolutely thought Amanda Seyfried looked a lot better, when she's with the guy that was dressed in black as Shiloh
Fernandez.
March 1, 2016
O, for the love of all that is Grimm, what hath 'twilight' wrought? Now with even more to answer for, Ex-production designer turned melodramatic TV special director Catherine Hardwick has produced an excruciating Twilight clone that can only be described as one of the worst supernatural thrillers in recent memory, Red Ridding Hood.

Mythology has once again been reinvented cashing in on familiarity rather than creativity by rearing its ugly head in the shape of a wolf.

In a secluded mountain village, ethereally beautiful young towns maiden Valerie (Amanda Seyfried) is torn between two suitors: her choice is a humble childhood-sweetheart woodcutter Peter (Shiloh Fernandez), but her parents have arranged for her to marry the wealthier and far less adventurous Henry (Max Irons).

Valerie and Peter plan to run away together when they learn that Valerie's older sister has been killed by the big bad werewolf that has prowled the dark forest surrounding their village for years.

Until now, the denizens of this picturesque village have appeased the marauding creature in an uneasy truce, offering a monthly animal sacrifice to keep him abstained from taking human life. But under a blood red moon, the wolf ups the stakes by breaking this treaty and killing unprovoked.

The village minister (Lukas Haas) calls on famed werewolf hunter, Father Solomon (Gary Oldman) for aid and guidance however impatient and hungry for revenge, the townsfolk gather their pitchforks and scythes and head into the forest to 'kill the beast'.

As expected, they return home not only without the head of the beast but also weighed down by more human loss. Arriving shortly after with his own band of warriors and a large metal elephant torture device for extracting information, Father Solomon explains that taking a human form by day the wolf is hidden among them.

Turning families and friends on each other, Father Soloman warns that under the blood moon, 'a man bitten, is a man damned' and anyone attacked by the beast will face judgement.

After and intriguing and very intimate encounter with the werewolf where she is able to distinguish its intent, Valerie fears that the animal could in fact be someone she loves. Unable to keep her distinctly lupine tendencies unnoticed, Valerie is accused of witchery and Father Solomon's holy man act drops to show him as little more than a mercenary. Offering Valarie as the ultimate sacrifice can father Solomon flush out the beast? Can Peter or Henry save her? Which red herring will it be?

Taking extreme creative licence, this Brothers Grimm original fairytale has now been cross-pollinated to yet another Catherine Hardwick twi-hard melodrama fantasy thriller. With a medieval setting but contemporary vibe, look and sound, a preposterous love triangle, soap opera theatrics, dreadful dialogue and ludicrously comatose acting nothing about this strenuous project comes together.

Even as far as the production design, which is striking due to Director Hardwick's extensive experience, the film doesn't fit. Too Glossy, Synthetic and sterile the story's over emphasised fanciful roots clash with unseasonal colours and evocatively overextended scapes, even acclaimed Australian cinematographer Mandy Walker can't contain the misguided concepts.

The Verdict: Red Ridding Hood is not as romantic as Twilight nor as threatening, and considering they were 'vegetarian' vampires that's really saying something. Oh Red Ridding hood; my, what big pretensions you have....

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 01/04/2011
February 16, 2016
Pretty cool, pleasantly I watched. Nicely done wolf.
February 6, 2016
While the idea of 'Twilight' director Hardwicke doesn't thrill me, the trailer looks interesting. And Gary Oldman's in it. Sold!
January 28, 2016
This is a good movie it is a Mistry movie of who the werewolf is. And it has good music to this movie. This movie is scary and creepy it would make a good Halloween movie. It is a good movie! I do not recommend this movie to children
January 23, 2016
You want to see Twilight version Red Riding Hood? Here it is.
Positives: Good looking guys to distract you from the horrible plot.
Negatives: Twilight continues.
½ January 22, 2016
the book was better.
January 20, 2016
Kinda Lame, But Hey Amanda Seyfried...
½ January 7, 2016
While the story and characters are forgettable (especially Gary Oldman in a disappointing role), Catherine Hardwicke finds some salvation in its beautiful Twilight-like setting, enchanting score, and solid visual effect of the Big Bad Wolf.
½ November 9, 2015
Laughable but not offensive
½ October 11, 2015
I actually thought this was a clever movie - it also could have been filmed in one small set up - so it was probably cost effective - grin. I am not sure what people are looking for when they rate average movies so badly. This is a fairly interesting twist on the story, told well enough. No Oscars or anything, but worth watching to escape for a couple of hours