Gladiator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gladiator Reviews

January 16, 2017
Gripping and inspiring!
One of the best I have seen...
½ January 10, 2017
This is a solid action revenge historical epic. I view this as a precursor to the also excellent gangs of New York. What can I say? The storyline line is thrilling. Ridley Scott's directing is top notch, the action is excellent and Russell Crowe gives a powerhouse performance in the lead role. I don't personally think it's the best movie of 2000, but I can understand why it won the academy award for best picture. Overall, a solid must see and it can also really inspire people.
January 3, 2017
Gladiator is too generic, unoriginal, unhistorical, and familiar to call it an epic of our day, but I has its entertaining moments, one of the, not being being Russel Crowe's vapid performance.
December 14, 2016
Amazing movie great message
November 25, 2016
As long as it isn't R i would love to see it
October 22, 2016
Have watched this movie multiple times after first seeing it when I was 10. My father and I watched it together the first time, since my sisters were a few years younger and he didn't want want them to see the violent scenes. But still to this day (as I am currently watching it again at 26) this movie is an amazing blend of every aspect that makes a good movie. From the action, drama, and suspense to the sound track, visuals, and story. Maybe my love of this film is a more nostalgic love, yet I still watch this film and love/feel every moment almost as if its my first time watching it. I don't have many movies which I love that do such a great job of encompassing such a broad pallette of emotions. From adrenaline, love, suspense, empathy, enmity, etc.
½ October 19, 2016
An Epic Historical Vengeance film about a Roman general turned Gladiator who is determined to avenge the death of his family from the one who murdered them.

Being extremely well produced and well-constructed makes Gladiator one of the finest films of the 21st Century. It's exhilarating storyline and strong themes make it stand out, especially when events occur in the setting of ancient Rome. It's certainly one of a kind and that's, for me, what makes it so epic.

Whilst being constructed beautifully, Gladiator has an excellent cast on show, including memorable performances from both Russell Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix. Crowe portrays a strong honorable man and Phoenix the polar opposite, an untrustworthy unmoral man. Both are outstanding in their respective roles, making for an entertaining climax when the two meet.

The story is fantastic, it really grabs hold of the audience and as a viewer you go on a journey with the main protagonist (Crowe) and as he goes through the motions you do too. We feel his pain, we feel his sorrow and we feel his desire for vengeance. A Great Story.

A powerful and stunning film directed by the great Ridley Scott.
October 12, 2016
One of the greatest movies of all time. For once I was in total agreement when this took Best Picture. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?
September 29, 2016
A thrilling cinematic adventure coupled with a stirring score, Gladiator is one of the top films of the decade. History buffs will love the epic opening battle and will be willing to overlook the slight inaccuracies which are only slightly based in reality. In real life, Commodus did indeed fight in the arena but ruled as sole emperor for 12 years before being assassinated.
½ September 25, 2016
Blood curdling action inevitably in the swords and sandals epic. Crowe dominates proceedings here.
September 23, 2016
One of my favourite films of all time, without a doubt.
September 4, 2016
Ridley Scott's epic masterpiece entertains and shocks with brilliant invention!
August 27, 2016
Very good classic guy movie. intense action and story.
½ August 22, 2016
Russell Crowe is a gladiator level performance that shines throughout Ridley Scott's film. The power struggle between Maximus and Joaquin Phoenix as Commodua is fantastic, as well as the friendship with Djimon Hounsou. It is beautifully shot, and gets bonus points for large sets and effects.
August 19, 2016
While not a bad movie, I feel its really overrated. The battle scenes I would say are the best part of the film. On a technical level there isn't anything badly done. The problem I have with the movie is that the story and acting are incredibly uninteresting. Russell Crowe's performance is to have the same stoic face and monotone voice for the entire film. Joaquin Phoenix was pretty over the top at points and made it sometimes unintentionally hilarious. But besides that, this film feels extremely bland and kinda boring at parts.

68/100
August 19, 2016

68/100
½ August 18, 2016
A great historical adventure of epic scale. From outstanding cinematography, great acting performances (especially by Crowe, Hounsou and Phoenix) to a really good plot, including all it takes in the genre: great battle scenes, intrigues, interesting characters. This movie has all it takes to be the kind of classic it already is. Especially the gladiator fights are breath taking and stand the test of time, rivaling Ben Hur's great chariot race. To top it off Hans Zimmer writes one of the most beautiful end credits songs to a very moving ending. Outstanding film-making by Ridley Scott. Especially recommend: the Extended Version with several additional scenes.
August 16, 2016
yeah, it's whatever...
August 14, 2016
Ridley Scott takes the swords 'n sandals epics and adds a dash of brutality and realism to it, compared to earlier Roman empire films like Fall of The Roman Empire and Ben Hur, which were more theatrical. Joaquin Phoenix should have won the oscar for his performance, but lost to Benicio Del Toro for 'Traffic'.