Gladiator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gladiator Reviews

February 24, 2018
For all its excesses, the brutality and emotion of the combat come off as grounded and gut-wrenching more often than not. While the movie has flaws-the terrible score and the bloated pacing slowing the action down quite a bit-the clever dialogue and incredible performances lift this epic above the usual sand-and-sword tropes. Yes, we're entertained.
February 24, 2018
Best picture. 1001 movies to see before you die.
February 22, 2018
76% critic rating? This is quite possibly the best film ever made. It's right up there with Alien, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Godfather, Citizen Kane, Back to the Future, and other great classics. The soundtrack was fantastic by Hans Zimmer, the special effects were decent, the fight choreography was executed quite well, the story was flawless, and the writing was intriguing overall. What else is so special about it? Maximus Decimus Meridius, the main protagonist and disgraced commander who was betrayed by Lucius Aurelius Commodus, later gets his revenge on Commodus after he gave the order to murder Maximus' wife and son. After Commodus murdered Marcus Meridius, the father of Maximus, for not picking him to become the next emperor earlier in the film, Commodus became the next emperor and chose to betray Maximus by default. Maximus is captured, and is forced to work against his will as a gladiator. At the end of the film, Emperor Commodus stabs Maximus in his back with a knife prior to his arrival at the center of the amphitheater for one last fight. Despite the pain he was in, he was still able to kill Commodus. Furthermore, Maximus died at the end of the film and I was actually shocked by this. There aren't too many movies where both the villain and hero are killed off at the end. The Tomatometer and audience score on this site prove that this film is one of the most underrated films of all time.
February 19, 2018
Insane to see how much Crowe's character is respected by his army at the beginning. He seems like he is a fair leader. Jeez, way to start a movie. All that action and the battle sequence. Phew! I can't help but admire how beautifully filmed this is. The cinematography is off the charts.

I can't help but think of Skyrim, watching this movie. Especially the armor and the setting locations of the different places. You can see how unfit Commodus is for being an emperor and also how compassionate Aurelius is towards Maximus, it's really sweet. Wow, Commodus is a son of a bitch, so vicious and malicious.

I can't believe how beautiful some of these shots of the locations are. It looks like Cappadocia. It's crazy how almost flawless the story progresses and unfolds. This movie was brilliantly written. Crazy how back in the days, entertainment was humans fighting humans or lions. It hasn't changed much, only that we're not fighting with bladed weapons on national TV, now it's with our fists.

What a badass though, cut right through all those enemies. The story kind of reminds me of Barry Lyndon's. Seeing all the gladiators work together in the Colosseum was awe inspiring. Fucking ambush is bullshit. I will say around the third quarter of the movie it does get a bit dull around the edges. But I understand it's for consistency. You really see Commodus' colors shine towards the end. You get a good understanding of who he really is: a conniving piece of shit.

The ending was perfect. Justice was served and the scales were balanced. Maximus got what he really wanted: to be with his family on the farm. But he not only died with honor, he died as a hero who wanted to see Rome back on it's feet. Very beautiful ending.

Overall, fantastic movie with a really good story line and terrific acting. I watched it in theaters when it came out but I was too young to understand how good it was. I'm glad I re-watched.
February 13, 2018
Captures Rome, and it's good and bad all at the same time. Watch this and look at America today.
½ February 13, 2018
Considering the amount of problems Scott and the team faced while making Gladiator, the end product is doubly impressive, with CGI way ahead of it's time, a massive sense of scale and performances that make painful dialogue much more tolerable, Gladiator is a spectacular piece of art with one of the best endings I've ever seen.

A
February 11, 2018
Crowe was made for this role
½ February 6, 2018
Cinematography/Editing: 5
Age/Originality: 4
Total: 22/25
February 2, 2018
Although i'm not sure if it's truly worthy of the best picture Oscar, this was still a grand spectacle of fine cinema. Those who enjoy a modern sweeping epic should enjoy Ridley Scott's efforts that includes intriguing characters and a compelling protagonist in Russell Crowe. Although i thought Joaquin Phoenix was bit of a miscast as the arch nemesis, every other cast member carried their weight. Of course, the film is visually stunning with the great Roman Coliseum as the center of it all. Are you not entertained indeed...
January 31, 2018
(2000) FILM: "GLADIATOR "
Director: Ridley Scott
Lead Actors: Russell Crowe/Joaquin Phoenix
FLAWLESSLY MONUMENTAL!
EMOTIONALLY PIERCING!
BRUTALLY SEDUCTIVE!
Legendary filmmaker Ridley Scott never ceases to amaze me and does it yet again by FINALLY receiving a much deserved Oscar for masterfully constructing the (2001) Academy Award winner for BEST PICTURE. Scott's film also led the 73rd Annual Academy Awards by impressively receiving 5 out of 12 nominations. The sublimely orchestrated film "GLADIATOR" is a cinematic masterpiece that is astonishingly unforgettable and will forever be a sure fire lock in my "TOP 20 MUST SEE FILMS BEFORE YOU DIE."
With a remarkably entrancing musical score, impeccable cinematography and soul wrenching performances all the way around, this critically acclaimed motion picture will be forever mentioned and remembered as one of the greatest creations to ever grace the silver screen.
January 30, 2018
Maximus! Maximus!
One of my favourite films of all time. Great directing and great performances all round especially Crowe. Fantastic story and a brilliant score to go with it.
Love it.
January 14, 2018
Ok mediocre not classic with chachin chinex and russel Crowe. The cinematography is really good but everything was so slow paced .
January 12, 2018
Favorite movie of ALL TIME. Spectacular story, wonderful acting, and one of the best soundtracks in history. Hans Zimmer is a genius, and really captures the audience with powerful melodic themes throughout the film. For me, this film sets the bar for what a masterpiece looks like.
January 10, 2018
"Are you not entertained?!!" :)
January 9, 2018
Gripping and emotional from beginning to end. Outstanding acting from the cast. Exceptional score.
January 3, 2018
althought it gets a bit boring when the mighty maximus is not on screen. but shit who cares. some of the best battle/fight scenes ever. excuse me if i gave this a guy's 5 stars...
roman empire kicks ass...
December 30, 2017
Top 3 in my list of favorite movies of all time, read some reviews and some people complain of too much violence, had to laugh at that, it's called gladiator because they fight to the death, not finger wrestling. The critics gave them 76% they have to be out of a Job, you know when 87% of over 34 Million people like it their opinion sucks lol. If you can't stand violence don't watch it. Great, great movie.
December 30, 2017
One of my top 3 movies of all time. Why do these Critics have a job after rating this movie 7.2/10 is baffling. Over 34 Million users have rated this movie and close to 9/10 people like it. Get rid of these joke of critics, they don't deserve a job or the title. But SW the last Jedi gets 91% FML. They shouldn't be allowed to pose any more of their opinions.
December 28, 2017
Amazing in every aspect.
December 28, 2017
Top 10 on my best movies of all time list.