Gladiator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gladiator Reviews

February 19, 2017
Russell Crowe is my favorite actor. I really like his performance here. And to me, the fight sequences are realistic and exciting. It gave me the feel that I was really looking in the past when the Coliseum was still used.
February 11, 2017
Favorite movie ever! :D
½ February 8, 2017
This is what movies are all about; transporting us to a forgotten era with a dazzling aesthetic; introducing us to an admirable hero with an enticing quest; and filling us with an incredible array of the emotions that ultimately complement the powerful narrative at hand. Ridley Scott's "Gladiator" is a masterwork of both the moving image and the written word, featuring striking visuals and production design as well as an appealingly classical narrative with welcomed Shakespearean undertones. Russell Crowe's Oscar-winning performance is just the icing on this blood-soaked cake, but what a furiously memorable icing it is. Also, let's not go without mentioning Hans Zimmer's wonderfully apt score either, as one can always count on the man to elevate a truly cinematic moment into the heights of iconicism. And, "iconic" is just the way to describe the film in sum. A true masterwork of the cinematic art and one that no person should skip out on.
February 8, 2017
This movie, although not fully accurate in historic terms, is still a masterpiece. The soundtrack is fantastic and obviously similar to that of the one in the renowned "pirates of the carribean" series. However, more than that, the camerawork is stunning. Whether it is a sweeping shot of the screaming citizens of Rome, or the hazy yet oddly focused picture of Maximus's flashbacks, the image is always absolutely breathtaking. Above that, the historical accuracies that do exist within the film elevate it above the typical cheesy ancient history movies. Whether it is the depiction of the brutal slave trade, close-up of the cruel nature of man to man combat, or the trap doors and hypogeum of the Roman Colosseum, it is impossible to deny their contributions to the quality of the film. Russell Crowe does a terrific job in an almost certainly career defining role, and joaquin phoenix is equally enthralling. The politics of the film are nicely balanced with the violence of the Colosseum, and viewers are never bored. Twists are abundant, and it follows no cheesy or cliche plot lines. Overall, it is a fantastic movie and well worth watching.
½ February 7, 2017
Set in 180 AD, Hispano-Roman General Maximus Decimus Meridius (Crowe) leads the Roman army to a decisive victory against the Germanic tribes near Vindobona, ending a long war on the Roman frontier and winning the favour of the Emperor Marcus Aurelius (Harris). Maximus, weary of battle, desires to retire to his Spanish farm estate to be with his wife and son, but the ageing Emperor appoints Maximus as regent to help save Rome from corruption.
February 2, 2017
I love this film. You understand all of the characters motivation & empathize with those on all sides of the story.
½ February 2, 2017
Gladiator spoils its deep emotional potency and well-developed characters with unsettling violence and unnecessary plot elements.
February 1, 2017
Gladiator is great fun, and considering how few truly great sword and sandal epics there are now, I would definitely recommend it.
January 26, 2017
Still awesome to this day. 5 out of 5 stars. They haven't made an epic like this since.
January 16, 2017
Gripping and inspiring!
One of the best I have seen...
½ January 10, 2017
This is a solid action revenge historical epic. I view this as a precursor to the also excellent gangs of New York. What can I say? The storyline line is thrilling. Ridley Scott's directing is top notch, the action is excellent and Russell Crowe gives a powerhouse performance in the lead role. I don't personally think it's the best movie of 2000, but I can understand why it won the academy award for best picture. Overall, a solid must see and it can also really inspire people.
January 3, 2017
Gladiator is too generic, unoriginal, unhistorical, and familiar to call it an epic of our day, but I has its entertaining moments, one of the, not being being Russel Crowe's vapid performance.
December 14, 2016
Amazing movie great message
November 25, 2016
As long as it isn't R i would love to see it
October 22, 2016
Have watched this movie multiple times after first seeing it when I was 10. My father and I watched it together the first time, since my sisters were a few years younger and he didn't want want them to see the violent scenes. But still to this day (as I am currently watching it again at 26) this movie is an amazing blend of every aspect that makes a good movie. From the action, drama, and suspense to the sound track, visuals, and story. Maybe my love of this film is a more nostalgic love, yet I still watch this film and love/feel every moment almost as if its my first time watching it. I don't have many movies which I love that do such a great job of encompassing such a broad pallette of emotions. From adrenaline, love, suspense, empathy, enmity, etc.
½ October 19, 2016
An Epic Historical Vengeance film about a Roman general turned Gladiator who is determined to avenge the death of his family from the one who murdered them.

Being extremely well produced and well-constructed makes Gladiator one of the finest films of the 21st Century. It's exhilarating storyline and strong themes make it stand out, especially when events occur in the setting of ancient Rome. It's certainly one of a kind and that's, for me, what makes it so epic.

Whilst being constructed beautifully, Gladiator has an excellent cast on show, including memorable performances from both Russell Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix. Crowe portrays a strong honorable man and Phoenix the polar opposite, an untrustworthy unmoral man. Both are outstanding in their respective roles, making for an entertaining climax when the two meet.

The story is fantastic, it really grabs hold of the audience and as a viewer you go on a journey with the main protagonist (Crowe) and as he goes through the motions you do too. We feel his pain, we feel his sorrow and we feel his desire for vengeance. A Great Story.

A powerful and stunning film directed by the great Ridley Scott.
October 12, 2016
One of the greatest movies of all time. For once I was in total agreement when this took Best Picture. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?
September 29, 2016
A thrilling cinematic adventure coupled with a stirring score, Gladiator is one of the top films of the decade. History buffs will love the epic opening battle and will be willing to overlook the slight inaccuracies which are only slightly based in reality. In real life, Commodus did indeed fight in the arena but ruled as sole emperor for 12 years before being assassinated.
½ September 25, 2016
Blood curdling action inevitably in the swords and sandals epic. Crowe dominates proceedings here.