Gladiator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gladiator Reviews

½ June 1, 2018
Ridley Scott enchants with his contemporary Spartacus.

Gladiator is a classic film and likely the very best movie of the year 2000. Ridley Scott directs at his peak with historical epics like Kingdom of Heaven, American Gangster, and All the Money in the World. Gladiator is all class in a highly entertaining depiction of a gladiator's tough life.

Admittedly, It is long, but the extended edition is worth the watch. The CGI has not aged well, Hans Zimmer's score is remarkably similar to his work for Pirates of the Caribbean. However, the entire film is a testimony to Scott's painstaking recreation of Rome, gladiator fights, war battles, and highly skilled drama.

Gorgeous landscapes and environments scale alongside beautiful sets. The scenery is accompanied by bloodshed of the most engaging and thrilling type. Scott's style oozes off the screen. We get a fantastic story, nuanced acting, and a glorious finale. Gladiator deserves all its praise.

Speaking of acting, Russell Crowe gives his career best in all possibility. Crowe's sorrow and righteous indignation is only comparable to his perfect performances in A Beautiful Mind or Master and Commander that follow Gladiator. Connie Nielsen lays down one of the most sympathetic roles ever captured on film. Joaquin Phoenix portrays one of the most heinous and reviled villains in cinema history. It is a creepy role that he absolutely sells.

Action and excitement are everywhere alongside heartfelt drama. Gladiator will never be forgotten. It will stay with you.
May 27, 2018
A veritable classic that tells a historical tale in an epic way. It isn't particularly profound but delivers a fun (albeit long) adventure.
May 19, 2018
Very cool movie. I am someone who is interested in the Roman Empire so it was cool to see it being depicted in this movie regardless of how accurate it is or isnt. Not the greatest movie ever, but I definitely recommend it!
May 16, 2018
Maximus: My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.
and i will watch this movie in this life or the next.
May 8, 2018
tbh I do not understand why this does not have a 90 or above tomatometer smh this is my ultimate favorite movie!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 1, 2018
(2000) FILM: "GLADIATOR "
Director: Ridley Scott
Lead Actors: Russell Crowe/Joaquin Phoenix
BRUTALLY SEDUCTIVE!
VISUALLY ASTONISHING!
MONUMENTALLY FLAWLESS!
Legendary filmmaker Ridley Scott finally received the eight in a half pound, thirteen inch, golden statue that goes by the name of Oscar, for marvelously constructing the (2001) Academy Award winner for BEST PICTURE. Winning five out of its twelve total nominations, the brutally spectacular and sublimely orchestrated (2000) film "GLADIATOR" impressively led all films at the 73rd Annual Academy Awards. With a gracefully entrancing musical score, impeccable cinematography and gut wrenching performances all the way around, this critically acclaimed motion picture will be both forever mentioned and remembered as one of the greatest creations to ever grace the silver screen. A genuine cinematic masterpiece that's unforgettably astounding and will forever be a sure fire lock into my "TOP 20 MUST SEE FILMS BEFORE YOU DIE."
½ April 30, 2018
one of the greatest action films of all time, Russel crow captured our eyes while Hans Zimmer captured our hears, it is a must watch.
½ April 13, 2018
crowe is good, but he's stuck in a film that underwhelms. it approaches the feel of a gladiator match while awkwardly shoving in speechifying on the nature of crowds to give the former a reason to exist. with crowe's tale of personal vengeance and an out-of-place subplot of empire-defying, ridley scott entertains but makes a forgettable story.
April 10, 2018
amazing screenplay. dramatic. raw. life through the eyes of emotion, focus and self-discipline. sociopath vs man.
April 7, 2018
Excellent story telling with great performances. Discovered how good was Joaquin Phoenix through that movie.
March 29, 2018
A thrilling movie about revenge,betrayal,love and awesome fight scenes!The acting is fantastic,every character is believable and memorable thanks to the actors and actresses.I have to highlight Joaquin Phoenix here who is playing Commodus,a emperor addictet to revenge on Maximus and Joaquin Phoenix is just and acting as him.Even though the movie has a runtime of 171 minutes,the movie just doesn't get boring,not even a second.Overall a outstanding movie!
½ March 22, 2018
This is the king of film I would like not to like. First and foremost because of Russell Crowe. But Ridlay Scott makes it hard for me.
March 18, 2018
Gladiator is a truly great movie that most definitely deserved its best picture and best actor Academy Awards. The Roman world is brought to life in this intense and exquisitely detailed historical drama. All of the actors are superb and memorable in their roles. Russell Crowe is outstanding, and will forever be remembered General Maximus. The costumes, settings, and above all, the gladiator battles demonstrate superlative skills of movie production. It is only a credit to the intricacy and beauty of the movie that there was so much discussion regarding historical accuracy. This is a film for the ages. Yes, we are most completely entertained.
March 18, 2018
A masterfully constructed historical adventure; the reason I go to the cinema.
½ March 15, 2018
A direction that gave "Gladiator" its prestige, Ridley Scott managed to create an epic movie with all the non-required artistic choices. One used to watch this kind of movies as simple entertainment but now Scott created art whilst providing entertainment. Russel Crowe was phenomenal as the titular gladiator but for me the one who really stands out is Joaquin Phoenix. His performance simply made Commodus real, he gave him depth, he morphed him into a despicable being. Hans Zimmer's score helps shape the entire story, lifts the movie into higher levels. Can this man simply do no wrong?
PS: It felt so good watching Richard Harris on screen again, such a nice surprise. Also.does young Joaquin Phoenix look like a younger Michael Stuhlbarg? Can you see the resemblance or is it only me?
March 8, 2018
"Gladiator" is a flat and watered down sword-and-sandal epic that isn't one of Ridley Scott's finest.
March 3, 2018
I love this film. You understand all of the characters motivation & empathize with those on all sides of the story.
February 24, 2018
For all its excesses, the brutality and emotion of the combat come off as grounded and gut-wrenching more often than not. While the movie has flaws-the terrible score and the bloated pacing slowing the action down quite a bit-the clever dialogue and incredible performances lift this epic above the usual sand-and-sword tropes. Yes, we're entertained.
February 24, 2018
Best picture. 1001 movies to see before you die.