Gladiator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gladiator Reviews

½ April 13, 2018
crowe is good, but he's stuck in a film that underwhelms. it approaches the feel of a gladiator match while awkwardly shoving in speechifying on the nature of crowds to give the former a reason to exist. with crowe's tale of personal vengeance and an out-of-place subplot of empire-defying, ridley scott entertains but makes a forgettable story.
April 10, 2018
amazing screenplay. dramatic. raw. life through the eyes of emotion, focus and self-discipline. sociopath vs man.
April 7, 2018
Excellent story telling with great performances. Discovered how good was Joaquin Phoenix through that movie.
March 29, 2018
A thrilling movie about revenge,betrayal,love and awesome fight scenes!The acting is fantastic,every character is believable and memorable thanks to the actors and actresses.I have to highlight Joaquin Phoenix here who is playing Commodus,a emperor addictet to revenge on Maximus and Joaquin Phoenix is just and acting as him.Even though the movie has a runtime of 171 minutes,the movie just doesn't get boring,not even a second.Overall a outstanding movie!
½ March 22, 2018
This is the king of film I would like not to like. First and foremost because of Russell Crowe. But Ridlay Scott makes it hard for me.
March 18, 2018
Gladiator is a truly great movie that most definitely deserved its best picture and best actor Academy Awards. The Roman world is brought to life in this intense and exquisitely detailed historical drama. All of the actors are superb and memorable in their roles. Russell Crowe is outstanding, and will forever be remembered General Maximus. The costumes, settings, and above all, the gladiator battles demonstrate superlative skills of movie production. It is only a credit to the intricacy and beauty of the movie that there was so much discussion regarding historical accuracy. This is a film for the ages. Yes, we are most completely entertained.
March 18, 2018
A masterfully constructed historical adventure; the reason I go to the cinema.
½ March 15, 2018
A direction that gave "Gladiator" its prestige, Ridley Scott managed to create an epic movie with all the non-required artistic choices. One used to watch this kind of movies as simple entertainment but now Scott created art whilst providing entertainment. Russel Crowe was phenomenal as the titular gladiator but for me the one who really stands out is Joaquin Phoenix. His performance simply made Commodus real, he gave him depth, he morphed him into a despicable being. Hans Zimmer's score helps shape the entire story, lifts the movie into higher levels. Can this man simply do no wrong?
PS: It felt so good watching Richard Harris on screen again, such a nice surprise. Also.does young Joaquin Phoenix look like a younger Michael Stuhlbarg? Can you see the resemblance or is it only me?
March 8, 2018
"Gladiator" is a flat and watered down sword-and-sandal epic that isn't one of Ridley Scott's finest.
March 3, 2018
I love this film. You understand all of the characters motivation & empathize with those on all sides of the story.
February 24, 2018
For all its excesses, the brutality and emotion of the combat come off as grounded and gut-wrenching more often than not. While the movie has flaws-the terrible score and the bloated pacing slowing the action down quite a bit-the clever dialogue and incredible performances lift this epic above the usual sand-and-sword tropes. Yes, we're entertained.
February 24, 2018
Best picture. 1001 movies to see before you die.
February 22, 2018
76% critic rating? This is quite possibly the best film ever made. It's right up there with Alien, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Godfather, Citizen Kane, Back to the Future, and other great classics. The soundtrack was fantastic by Hans Zimmer, the special effects were decent, the fight choreography was executed quite well, the story was flawless, and the writing was intriguing overall. What else is so special about it? Maximus Decimus Meridius, the main protagonist and disgraced commander who was betrayed by Lucius Aurelius Commodus, later gets his revenge on Commodus after he gave the order to murder Maximus' wife and son. After Commodus murdered Marcus Meridius, the father of Maximus, for not picking him to become the next emperor earlier in the film, Commodus became the next emperor and chose to betray Maximus by default. Maximus is captured, and is forced to work against his will as a gladiator. At the end of the film, Emperor Commodus stabs Maximus in his back with a knife prior to his arrival at the center of the amphitheater for one last fight. Despite the pain he was in, he was still able to kill Commodus. Furthermore, Maximus died at the end of the film and I was actually shocked by this. There aren't too many movies where both the villain and hero are killed off at the end. The Tomatometer and audience score on this site prove that this film is one of the most underrated films of all time.
February 19, 2018
Insane to see how much Crowe's character is respected by his army at the beginning. He seems like he is a fair leader. Jeez, way to start a movie. All that action and the battle sequence. Phew! I can't help but admire how beautifully filmed this is. The cinematography is off the charts.

I can't help but think of Skyrim, watching this movie. Especially the armor and the setting locations of the different places. You can see how unfit Commodus is for being an emperor and also how compassionate Aurelius is towards Maximus, it's really sweet. Wow, Commodus is a son of a bitch, so vicious and malicious.

I can't believe how beautiful some of these shots of the locations are. It looks like Cappadocia. It's crazy how almost flawless the story progresses and unfolds. This movie was brilliantly written. Crazy how back in the days, entertainment was humans fighting humans or lions. It hasn't changed much, only that we're not fighting with bladed weapons on national TV, now it's with our fists.

What a badass though, cut right through all those enemies. The story kind of reminds me of Barry Lyndon's. Seeing all the gladiators work together in the Colosseum was awe inspiring. Fucking ambush is bullshit. I will say around the third quarter of the movie it does get a bit dull around the edges. But I understand it's for consistency. You really see Commodus' colors shine towards the end. You get a good understanding of who he really is: a conniving piece of shit.

The ending was perfect. Justice was served and the scales were balanced. Maximus got what he really wanted: to be with his family on the farm. But he not only died with honor, he died as a hero who wanted to see Rome back on it's feet. Very beautiful ending.

Overall, fantastic movie with a really good story line and terrific acting. I watched it in theaters when it came out but I was too young to understand how good it was. I'm glad I re-watched.
February 13, 2018
Captures Rome, and it's good and bad all at the same time. Watch this and look at America today.
½ February 13, 2018
Considering the amount of problems Scott and the team faced while making Gladiator, the end product is doubly impressive, with CGI way ahead of it's time, a massive sense of scale and performances that make painful dialogue much more tolerable, Gladiator is a spectacular piece of art with one of the best endings I've ever seen.

A
February 11, 2018
Crowe was made for this role
½ February 6, 2018
Cinematography/Editing: 5
Age/Originality: 4
Total: 22/25
February 2, 2018
Although i'm not sure if it's truly worthy of the best picture Oscar, this was still a grand spectacle of fine cinema. Those who enjoy a modern sweeping epic should enjoy Ridley Scott's efforts that includes intriguing characters and a compelling protagonist in Russell Crowe. Although i thought Joaquin Phoenix was bit of a miscast as the arch nemesis, every other cast member carried their weight. Of course, the film is visually stunning with the great Roman Coliseum as the center of it all. Are you not entertained indeed...
January 31, 2018
(2000) FILM: "GLADIATOR "
Director: Ridley Scott
Lead Actors: Russell Crowe/Joaquin Phoenix
FLAWLESSLY MONUMENTAL!
EMOTIONALLY PIERCING!
BRUTALLY SEDUCTIVE!
Legendary filmmaker Ridley Scott never ceases to amaze me and does it yet again by FINALLY receiving a much deserved Oscar for masterfully constructing the (2001) Academy Award winner for BEST PICTURE. Scott's film also led the 73rd Annual Academy Awards by impressively receiving 5 out of 12 nominations. The sublimely orchestrated film "GLADIATOR" is a cinematic masterpiece that is astonishingly unforgettable and will forever be a sure fire lock in my "TOP 20 MUST SEE FILMS BEFORE YOU DIE."
With a remarkably entrancing musical score, impeccable cinematography and soul wrenching performances all the way around, this critically acclaimed motion picture will be forever mentioned and remembered as one of the greatest creations to ever grace the silver screen.