Reviews

• Sep 19, 2021

I like Julianne Moore & John Turturro, but they sometimes make poor choices of films in which to be involved. This was one of those. Don't bother. It was a sadish story and told in a rather mundane manner.

• Jun 01, 2021

This was a "stuck on a plane for the next 6 hours" film for me, otherwise I would've never watched it all the way through. After viewing it, I really started to question how airlines pick these films, as this one went nowhere, except you get to see Julianne Moore's breasts while she's read poetry. So, if that's what you were looking for...Lo and behold! This film is for you, and that's about all you'll get out of it, because the dialogue stares longingly at itself through its own a@#hole, and plays like an immature art school brat production. The draw here for me was John Turturro, as his character was loaded with agony due to the relationship with his wife and his daughters. I kept watching because his character's story had me intrigued, and it went nowhere. I was disappointed, although--again, he does read poetry to Julianne Moore's breasts, and the conversation is deep while her breasts are out. So...it's not the best movie to watch on a plane, because your neighbor can't really hear the poetry, but they can see you watching Julianne Moore's breasts.

• Feb 06, 2021

Not Good. Despite everyone's acting best efforts it is simply not a very good movie. If one watches another person's boring life struggle for 2 hrs there has to be some message, some purpose, some reason, some redeeming conclusion at the end, some lesson to be learned or taken away which would justify our suffering. Regretfully there is not. Who greenlights this stuff and why? Who when they read this idea or screenplay said 'Yes, that would make an entertaining movie'? I'm perplexed and so is just about everyone who sat through it.

• Dec 05, 2020

A subtle masterpiece. The filmmaker brilliantly captures the mid life experience. Julianne Moore is transcendent. John Tuturro is wonderful. Great cast. Great film.

• May 17, 2020

Unvarnished realism and brave performances by all

Unvarnished realism and brave performances by all

• May 10, 2020

Julianne Moore was mesmerising. Evoking feelings that can't be worded, and only communicated through masterful visual storytelling. The movie did not shy away from the difficult, uncomfortable and awkward. Instead, it was fully confrontational and left the audience having no choice but to face realities brushed over in life.

• Mar 12, 2020

A curiously enchanting study of hopelessly-parochial breadth.

A curiously enchanting study of hopelessly-parochial breadth.

• Feb 23, 2020

I would typically consider myself a defender of the "slow movie," but I really cannot bring myself to justify the excruciating snail pace of Gloria Bell. Moore does indeed take time to evolve this mysterious, complicated woman, but aside from her dedicated performance, there is not much else enjoy. Don't get me wrong, the film begins with potential and develops cleverly written relationships and characters, but the entire story, which takes a full 90-some minutes to build up, ends with a ridiculous two-minute climax that is supposed to be a joke, forgetting about giving its audience any sort of closure or explanation. It feels like one of those films which sadly had several great components aside from the most important one: a plot.

• Feb 09, 2020

A great cast wasted as was our hubby and wife date night with the narratively uneven, 'Gloria Bell'. Music too on the nose, inexplicable character turns, and chronic inauthenticity plague what could have been something with a better script. Julianne Moore just didn't have a chemistry with the equally brilliant, but partaking in a different movie John Turturro. I'm not sure if they were cast this way, but it's important to remember that this is the english-language remake of 'Gloria', a Chilean film with the same director and writer, Sebastian Lelio. This didn't work for us on a myriad of levels, but namely, the relationships didn't ring true. It's not hard to feel the passion between the two leads, but you can also in adult films. It's really the only emotion that felt authentic. There was no plausible explanation to how almost every character behaves. Some shift gears inexplicably in the same scene without any just cause. Believability is a major factor for us when it comes to the story and the characters therein and we didn't buy what 'Gloria Bell' was selling. Wife: 5.7/Hubby 4.5 Average Final Score: 5.1/10

• Jan 13, 2020

A slow, dull and boring drama about a woman's uninteresting life. Definitely not worth watching.