Gloria Bell Reviews

• Mar 12, 2020

A curiously enchanting study of hopelessly-parochial breadth.

A curiously enchanting study of hopelessly-parochial breadth.

• Feb 23, 2020

I would typically consider myself a defender of the "slow movie," but I really cannot bring myself to justify the excruciating snail pace of Gloria Bell. Moore does indeed take time to evolve this mysterious, complicated woman, but aside from her dedicated performance, there is not much else enjoy. Don't get me wrong, the film begins with potential and develops cleverly written relationships and characters, but the entire story, which takes a full 90-some minutes to build up, ends with a ridiculous two-minute climax that is supposed to be a joke, forgetting about giving its audience any sort of closure or explanation. It feels like one of those films which sadly had several great components aside from the most important one: a plot.

• Feb 09, 2020

A great cast wasted as was our hubby and wife date night with the narratively uneven, 'Gloria Bell'. Music too on the nose, inexplicable character turns, and chronic inauthenticity plague what could have been something with a better script. Julianne Moore just didn't have a chemistry with the equally brilliant, but partaking in a different movie John Turturro. I'm not sure if they were cast this way, but it's important to remember that this is the english-language remake of 'Gloria', a Chilean film with the same director and writer, Sebastian Lelio. This didn't work for us on a myriad of levels, but namely, the relationships didn't ring true. It's not hard to feel the passion between the two leads, but you can also in adult films. It's really the only emotion that felt authentic. There was no plausible explanation to how almost every character behaves. Some shift gears inexplicably in the same scene without any just cause. Believability is a major factor for us when it comes to the story and the characters therein and we didn't buy what 'Gloria Bell' was selling. Wife: 5.7/Hubby 4.5 Average Final Score: 5.1/10

• Jan 13, 2020

A slow, dull and boring drama about a woman's uninteresting life. Definitely not worth watching.

• Jan 02, 2020

In a year filled with small, quirky films about complicated women, don't forget to take "Gloria Bell" for a spin. This English-language remake by Sebastián Lelio of his 2013 Argentinian film "Gloria" (written by Lelio and Alice Johnson Boher) features a magnificent performance by Julianne Moore, one of the best actors of her generation, with strong support by John Turturro, in a return to form that deserved more awards buzz. The midlife crises captured here are uncomfortably real, and Gloria's passion for disco is transcendent, a reflection of her thirst to remain not young, but true to herself. (You may have a flashback to 2014's "Maps to the Stars" when you see Julianne Moore rocking out while driving.) "Gloria Bell" also has one of the best hell-yeah moments since Angela Bassett's in "Waiting to Exhale" (1995). When Gloria exhales, you will, too.

• Dec 13, 2019

Otra gran actuaciòn de Julianne Moore.

Otra gran actuaciòn de Julianne Moore.

• Nov 28, 2019

This is one where the critics really got it wrong. If you like watching a lonely woman's aging woman's struggles with loneliness and aging then this is for you. Otherwise watch a home movie.

• Nov 24, 2019

An inspired display of middle age. Sebastian Lelio's indie romance drama Gloria Bell (2019) is sweet art film giving middle aged women a chance to be free and find love again. I love the inspired and brave resolution to Gloria Bell that allows for Gloria to just move on and live her life. Lelio's direction is very loose this time again instead of his previous stricter structure. He coasts from scene to scene for a natural progression through Gloria's day to day life, but this can feel aimless at times. The pace is a bit slow towards the middle, but you are very satisfied with where things end up. Lelio continues to be an expressive and original director with his own flair, but I do prefer Disobedience and A Fantastic Woman more than Gloria Bell. Lelio's writing feels real and authentic to a woman of Gloria's age, which is refreshing to see. Gloria Bell is however, is a powerful depiction of a woman trying to be happy. Julianne Moore is outstanding and engaging as Gloria Bell herself. She is funny, sweet, sad, tragic, and sympathetic. You are always rooting for her no matter how bad things get. Moore gives Gloria a genuine good heart and realistic persona. John Turturro is great as Gloria's love interest Arthur, who is not who he says he is at all. Turturro makes Arthur almost charming, but still distant. They are riveting as the leads in Gloria Bell. Michael Cera, Brad Garrett, Holland Taylor, Sean Astin, and Rita Wilson all have nice supporting roles or cameos. They help build the atmosphere of loneliness surrounding Gloria. I really appreciated the endearing and empathetic performance from Caren Pistorius as Gloria's daughter Anne. Natasha Braier's cinematography is a gorgeous blur of purples glowing over everything. I found Gloria Bell to just look like a beautiful film. The wide shots outside and the medium shots everywhere else all feel isolating and intimate at the same time. Soledad Salfate's editing is creative, but not always coherent. You suddenly jump to another place or time without context, so I can see some audiences losing focus of what just happened. Salfate cuts several clever jump cuts as transitions with neat references to what was just on screen connecting that to what is now on screen. Gloria Bell is well shot and edited for what it's worth. I absolutely love the main theme to Gloria Bell. Matthew Herbert's score is awesome with a fun synth sound of pleasant melodies. The 1980's themed soundtrack is delightful, especially as Julianne Moore sings along to most of these popular tunes. In short, Gloria Bell is a cool art film that plods along a bit too much, but is astoundingly realistic and genuinely moving. Julianne Moore gives one of her best performances as an actress for Gloria Bell, despite the rest of the movie not entirely working.

• Nov 18, 2019

.5/5 stars An excruciatingly boring, pointless movie. Don't see it.

.5/5 stars An excruciatingly boring, pointless movie. Don't see it.

• Oct 19, 2019

There was no "there" there. And I get that is part of the design. But please. Average people battle the pointlessness of existence enough as it is. A movie/film doesn't need to take our money and hand us a mirror. We have iPhones and can record our own lives. Plus the spare use of dialogue made the characters just so banal. And please stop smoking weed in every Hollywood production. It's just too predictable. Surprise me. Entertain me. Enlighten me. Educate me. Make me forget that there are people who live such pointless little lives.