Godzilla Resurgence (Shin Godzilla) Reviews

• 4d ago

beautiful, funny and strange film about godzilla where the monster also undergoes an initial transformation, even if the movements of godzilla are not beautiful but the special effects of the laser are beautiful

• Jul 09, 2019

Shin Godzilla is perhaps the best Godzilla movie to date, for what that's worth. We get new images of baby Godzilla squirming through Tokyo, destroying everything in its path, with sights reminiscent of the 3/11 earthquake and tsunami clearly meant to resonate with the Japanese audience. Godzilla turns into a toddler, just tearing apart everything in its path, like its human counterpart, before reemerging as a full-grown monster. There seems to be an allegory about the West imposing solutions on Japan, and Japan insisting on finding its own way to deal with its troubles. While I can suspend disbelief enough to accept a giant lizard emerging from the sea and shooting atomic rays from its mouth and dorsal plates, I couldn't buy Satomi Ishihara as an overly cute special envoy of the U.S. president. She peppers her dialogue with nonsensical English lines delivered with a heavy Japanese accent, and we're supposed to accept she is destined to be the President of the United States in the not too distant future. The filmmakers are clearly in love with her, but it comes off as silly in an otherwise even and serious monster movie.

• Jul 03, 2019

enjoyable however.... definitely a different take

enjoyable however.... definitely a different take

• Jun 30, 2019

was very entertaining. the one problem it had was the subtitles could be hard to follow at times but i do recommend this to any godzilla fan.

• Jun 28, 2019

fantastic, specially for evangelion fans

fantastic, specially for evangelion fans

• Jun 27, 2019

This movie is a perfect reboot for the godzilla franchise great way how godzilla goes threw evolutions and I love how the need was a cliffhanger one of the best godzilla films out there

• Jun 24, 2019

Shin Godzilla is an incredible movie made by someone who understands Godzilla. Godzilla isn't captain planet or superman, he is a creature that represents war and nuclear destruction or is a creature doesn't side with anyone and even when he does, it is soley for his own benefit. the people making this nailed the destructive side of Godzilla perfectly. The story itself is somewhat simaller to the original 1954 classic in that it is about a nuclear powered monster rampaging japan. However, the movie decides to tell the story from a fresh perspective, It isn't connected to the 1954 Godzilla movie. While it references the bombing in the 50's, it doesn't have this be a complete sequal and instead makes this movie it's own thing. It isn't copying the movie beat for beat either. It instead shows us how japan would handle the attack from Godzilla in modern times and works brilliantly. The scenes where people trying to figure out what is going on is well paced in the movie and extremely interesting. It is incredably critical of beauracies but does it in a way that is subtle and nowhere near as pandering as it could have been ( i'm looking at you Princess Monanokee and Howl's Moving Castle). Characters like the Prime Minister make choices that while dumb or bad make sense in the situation. They paint all sides in an even light which has been lacking lately. The acting is incredable as well. I do request that you watch the subtitled version of this movie as will make more sense in certain scenes and adds a more realistic touch to this movie. The effects are just incredable. Godzilla is both a guy in a suit and CG and they blend both perfectly. They used the CG as an enchancement and not as a crutch ( I am looking at you , Slender Man 2018). The camera work is absolutely perfect and gives a sense of epic scale. The music is gorgeously composed and perfectly fits with the scenes they are placed in. I can not recommend this movie enough. You need to see this movie as soon as possible. This is what remakes should be like (looking at you Black Christmas 2006 and Psycho 1998)

• Jun 24, 2019

Really blown away by the quality of this movie. This should be the standard by which all future Godzilla movies are to be held.

• Jun 23, 2019

Fresh air for the Godzilla universe. Politics, evolution, hope. I think there's a mix of all things which a Godzilla's film deserve. Great job.

• Jun 14, 2019

This Godzilla is no anti-hero, he is a MONSTER. They made alot of changes to Godzilla, but it felt like their baby to change. The movie was not only about Godzilla and but trouble with modern governments and red tape. Worth a watch and I cant wait for the sequel.