Goya's Ghosts Reviews

• Dec 29, 2019

This is one good movie that I have seen. The actors are excellent transferring their feelings of being lost, of hope and despair, and the movie itself was good. Javier Bardem is one of my favorite actors and I loved everything that he does and he was awesome in this film, In every scene he was, he just stole the movie until the end, and kept me watching until the end. So for that being said, I give " Goya's Ghost " A C.

• Apr 29, 2019

Featuring a Swedish Goya, a priestly prototype of Anton Chigurh's creepy sadism, Randy Quaid as a king---which is actually pretty apt---and yet it's Natalie Portman as both a young Spanish woman tortured into insanity and her prostitute daughter that makes for perhaps the strangest, boldest performance choice. Notwithstanding the titular painter, the story here really belongs to the ghosts, to the intersecting lives of Portman and to Bardem, with Goya providing more of a framing device. Yet there is also a sense of the artist's incredible breadth as the film follows its characters from the gilded halls of the Spanish aristocracy to their filthy madhouses to their dank dungeons; and as is Forman's fashion, though with uncharacteristic confusion and melodrama, the film draws parallels between these ostensibly isolated segments of society, demonstrating the violence and obscenity that runs through them all.

• Jan 21, 2019

Great film. More you virew it, better it is. Movie grows on you. Memorable. Portman's best. Bardem at his best, as always.

• Sep 10, 2018

This is a pretty good "period piece" film... It definitely Shows the absurdity of the Inquisition during that period of time in our history! Natalie Portman plays a fantastic role & shows her wide range of acting abilities. This film is very well written as well as well acted & filled with a fantastic cast. If your into Period films & love history, like myself, you won't be disappointed with this film.

• Sep 06, 2018

Bardem, Portman and Skarsgard give stunning performances in this handsomely filmed and gorgeously costumed period piece. The overall narrative is somewhat thin while the pacing is inconsistent.

• May 12, 2018

"A beautiful painting can't hide an ugly woman." Using the exact philosophical problem of the Spanish Inquisition (torture brings only desperation, not truth), Forman has created a posh nightmare disguised as a costume drama in Goya's Ghost. Like his masterpiece "Amadeus", he's showing the gritty, vile humanity underneath the garish outfits & wigs of mid-millennia high-society. All the performances are great, the story is great, everything looks great...30% on RT?? I don't get it; an underrated tone parable.

• May 04, 2018

I loved this movie!! I watched it in my Spanish Civilization and Culture class and I immediately fell in love with it. I really felt like I was living what had happened and I especially felt bad for Ines Bilbatua because of the crap she went through

• Mar 19, 2018

Very interesting story, period and costumes. Implausible plot.

Very interesting story, period and costumes. Implausible plot.

• Nov 10, 2017

I do not agree at all with the "Critics Consensus". I know quite well Goya's work, and as a Tourist Guide in Madrid, I will recommend the film to all my customers. I do think that it is a good general overview of that time period, the plot is not confused at all, but ... of course, not 30 shots per minute It is not an Action film, thanks God! The photografy is beautiful, the settings too, and yes, one needs to concentrate to follow the plot, is that so wrong? I loved it, and I am grateful to the producers for having done something so good.

• May 09, 2017

A fantastic, beautiful, and riveting film.

A fantastic, beautiful, and riveting film.