Graffiti Bridge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Graffiti Bridge Reviews

½ August 28, 2016
This sequel to Purple Rain is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The story is boring, ridiculous and nearly incoherent. The acting is terrible. I know it is Prince, but even the music isn't very good. It was painful to watch.
½ June 3, 2016
The movie itself is just atrocious. But, as usual, the music stands out.
½ May 15, 2016
Teachable movie moment of what not to do in a film. Amazing soundtrack poor story poor technical moviemaking. Prince you get a pass on this one. Still love ya' but damn damn damn
May 11, 2016
If you just watch the music performances and remind yourself that this movie came out in 1990,you can get through it, great soundtrack!
½ May 7, 2016
I think this gets a bad rap. First of all it's insane, literally non-stop musical numbers with the barest minimum of plot. But it's so crazed and weird that you can't look away. Prince is almost a side character but that's okay, because Morris Day steals the show with his goofiness. It's hard to say if this is a "good" movie but it's incredibly watchable.
May 6, 2016
Mad whack. A couple good things in it, but most of the songs aren't very good and it's kind of incomprehensible in a Clive Barker-ish way. But not as good as Clive Barker's personal brand of incomprehensibility. Worth seeing if you're a die-hard Prince fan, probably should be skipped if you aren't. Definitely watch the Still Would Stand All Time part though, that's mad good, good song and good vibe.
April 27, 2016
"Purple Rain 2" technically. This movie was not that good, had some good musical numbers, I still have a soft spot for it though.
½ April 24, 2016
Really don't get the point of this sequel
March 25, 2015
Unfocused,trippy hour thirty five minute music video.
February 26, 2015
There's a point in this movie at which Morris Day doubles over and throws up on the floor. I'm convinced that scene was not scripted -- but rather Morris Day's sincere reaction upon realizing the magnitude of the artistic abomination he'd gotten himself sucked into.

I'm a lifelong Prince fan, and I'll say he's doing some of his best work even today. But Graffiti Bridge is cinematic tennis elbow. It is an incoherent mess of bloated ego, retarded spirituality, and junior high poetry. It's the only movie that can make six week old babies sit up and ask "what the hell is going on?" Every time someone watches this movie, monkeys become more emboldened to take over the planet. Every time someone watches this movie and enjoys it, a cancer researcher applies to law school.

Prince's performance here is downright creepy. He delivers half his lines as if he's an adolescent boy imitating his own androgynous swagger from Purple Rain (and failing miserably) and the other half as if he's addressing dogshit he just noticed on his shoe. Morris Day, who is supposed to provide the comic relief, is funny only when he's trying to be threatening. Ingrid Chavez, in every scene, adopts a demeanor that is somehow both detached and bubbly, and her attention flits about so randomly that I wonder if there's a strain of Alzheimer's that specifically targets android hamsters metamorphosed into human form.

The soundtrack used to be one of my favorite Prince albums, but now I can't listen to it anymore. Partly because of the unspeakable horror of being reminded of this movie -- but more so because as soon as the end credits rolled, my CD disappeared in a puff of smoke that left the odor of abject humiliation and tearful apology lingering in my living room for seven days.
February 16, 2015
While the soundrack was decent at best, Prince's loose sequel to Purple Rain steers away from the so-bad-it's-good charm of the original and goes into so bad it's horrible territory.
½ August 29, 2014
the purple one. ..Prince!
June 20, 2014
Bad. Just horrible. Not even funny bad like Under The Cherry Moon. Just plain horrible. Music is good though. Props to the person who made the sets though.
June 7, 2014
About 22 minutes into this, characters IN THE MOVIE starts walking out. Reminds me, that a friend of mine saw this in the theatre. He saw a dude sneak in to see it. Then saw him sneak back out. There's a legend that says Prince suffered from a bad Ecstasy trip back in 1988, which caused him to see devils chasing him. This prompted the last minute shelving of The Black Album, and the quick assemblage of it's replacement, Lovesexy. It's clear that he continued to work through his acquired demons even two years later, with '89's Batman soundtrack ignoring the movie and documenting his own spiral into insanity which brings us to this... this... work of therapy. The following decade would find him killing off Prince to become a symbol, so that he could learn to become Prince once again.
April 23, 2014
This was my favorite Prince album before I saw the film. No. No. No.
November 24, 2013
Entertaining! GO PRINCE!!!!
½ October 6, 2013
"Graffiti Bridge": A laughably incompetent and hopeless vanity project from Prince. The film is quite directionless, meandering around a weak "fairy tale" storyline in the hopes that the film will become charming. The writing is some of the worst. My favorite awful line being, "You know what your problem is? You've got too many problems! That's your problem!". Prince spends ninety minutes embarrassing himself on a cheap set, spouting lyrics that make "Alphabet Street" look dignified.

As a piece of Prince's filmography, how does this hold up? Well, I didn't really care for "Purple Rain" as a film. Visually, it was interesting, and it had a great soundtrack. It was basically a bunch of music videos intercut with cheesy scenes of romance and Prince being a jerk. "Under the Cherry Moon" was a very misguided comedy, but had an interesting atmosphere to it that I kind of liked. This film was dead from conception and had very little to offer. Saying that I hated this film would imply that the film elicited an emotion. It didn't.
August 7, 2013
THIS IS THE GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME, OF ALL TIME EVER IN INFINITY. Prince, the Time, New Jack Swing, and the debut of the New Power Generation? THE GREATEST. MOVIE. OF ALL. TIME.
April 8, 2013
I think this is a profound movie. It has a message behind it versus Purple Rain. Not that I am putting Purple Rain down, I personally loved both movies. But this movie reflects on the previous movie and shows how The Kid has grown and continues to grow, while Morris and his crew are only concerned about money, sex and winning when it comes to The Kid. He still brings up low down things like the fact that The Kid's mother went crazy after the father passed. Therefore, after everything I believe it is good.
February 1, 2013