Great Balls of Fire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Great Balls of Fire Reviews

September 6, 2010
I loved this biography movie, and I don't usually like biopics that much. The actors are fantastic, and it's full of all the great songs from Lewis. I highly recommend this movie to both fans of the actors and Jerry Lee Lewis.
December 24, 2007
Ok movie.
July 6, 2009
OK, but unlike biopics where the actor "tranforms" into the character (Coal Miner's Daughter, Ray), Dennis Quaid didn't BEGIN to convince me that he the "Killer" Jerry Lee Lewis. Yeah, he had the moves and the energy, but the passion for the music was fake. Quaid didn't 'feel" it like Jerry Lee. Oh and his central Lousiana accent sucked balls. And Quaid is from right down the road in Texas. He should know better.
July 15, 2007
Movie about the life of Jerry Lee Lewis from his rise to stardom and his downfall after marrying his 13 year old cousin. He wanted to be bigger than Elvis but his own arrogance and poor judgement stops him in his tracks. Great performances by Dennis Quaid and a young Winona Ryder.
February 8, 2008
Quaid is almost clownish in his awful impersonation completely ruining the film.
March 6, 2007
Dennis Quaid's larger than life portrayal of the larger than life Jerry Lee Lewis and the songs are the main appeal of this glossy biopic, which has it has a tendency to "gloss" over some of the more distasteful elements of the man's life.
½ December 17, 2006
Some fun in this rousing, stylised look at some of the life of rocker Jerry Lee Lewis. Winona Ryder is particulary good as Lewis' third wife, who happened not only to be his cousin, but also only 13 years old.
March 9, 2006
"If I'm going to hell, I'm goin playin the pianna"
October 13, 2010
Dennis Quaid plays the legendary Jerry Lee Lewis who scandalized the world when he married his 13-year-old cousin Myra (Winona Ryder) and news of his marriage leaked out. The movie is based on how his life (and his wife's life) changed when his music was banned from most radio stations and he was hardly allowed to perform on Television, simply because of the marriage.

Energetic performance from Dennis Quaid as Jerry Lee Lewis makes the movie worth while watching. Alec Baldwin also turns in a good performance as Jerry Lee's cousin, preacher Jimmy Swaggart and young Wynonna Ryder give a convincing performance as his child-bride Myra.
½ January 4, 2009
Great bio-pic, couldnt have picked a better actor to portray Jerry Lee, Dennis Quaid was awesome and i still find him to date one of the most underated actors in the business. Great soundtrack
November 9, 2007
A hilarious film that leaves you laughing at every turn of the plot.
March 16, 2006
Not 'Walk The Line', but not bad.
August 29, 2010
I am sure if we got a more complete story about Jerry Lee Lewis we would find it to be a lot more depressing but it would at least be more compelling. This story leaves out a great deal about Jerry Lee Lewis and his life. Dennis Quaid was good at capturing the lively stage persona of the rock legend but thatâ(TM)s where the success stops. I was disappointed to see most of the focus on Lewisâ(TM) romance with his cousin. Quaid & Winona are pretty good together but this movie should have revolved way more music and a more complete story of the tragic fallout of his career. I think it is critical to tell the full Rock n Roll truth and not candy coat it by making a troubled and depressed individual into an untouchable legend. We do not fully come to understand this man or even his journey in this movie. This is a shallow biopic and it is sad not to get a better product than this for one of rock n rollâ(TM)s great pioneers. This should have been about Lewisâ(TM) wild spirit and the price he paid for his wild life.
½ July 29, 2012

I use to own the dvd to this, but I don't know what happened to it haha. I use to watch this movie every other day when I was little, I don't know why but I just loved watching it. I still do today!
September 21, 2011
Decent bio pic about Jerry Lee Lewis. He was pretty weird - married his 13 year old cousin and rock and roll'd pretty heavy for his day. Overall doesn't do anything any other bio pic hasn't done before or since.
July 5, 2009
(1989 Director: Jim McBride)"Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On," Replayed on network tv this early July 5th. in the wee hours. Setting: Back "in the day" in TN from Decenber, 1956. And I had not realized before--but guess who stars as Jerry Lee Lewis himself? Dennis Quaid!, a very feisty & young Dennis..alongside his religious cousin, Jimmy Swaggart, portrayed by a very young & thinner Alec Baldwin. What a great smile Alec Baldwin has! Winona Ryder is barely more than a pup in this colorful protrayal of the controversial life of early rock sensation Jerry Lee Lewis from before his fame up through his decline. Based on the book by Myra Lewis (his 3rd wife) interestlingly and NOT on one of his autobiographies. Lewis' cousin-in-law is played by the spunky Lisa Blount (who resembles Marlee Matley) Lewis (Quaid)'s piano playing reminds me of my dear departed Uncle Caroll Lee the way he tickles those ivories with erupting jazz. Jerry Lee is "discovered" by Stephen Tobolowsky. In case you DON"T know his story, expect to have a few eyebrows raised. Picture Jerry Lee alongside his peers: Elvis, James Brown, Chuck Berry.....Between you and me.didn't Jerry Lee HAVE to be an Aries?? Also co-starring John Doe (Jerry's cousin's brother) who is part of his band and Myra's father. Joshua Sheffield, and Mojo Nixon. Peter Cook plays a horridly prudish British news reporter who scandalizes Jerry Lee Lewis during the start of his first tour of England. Steve Allen has a small role as a British passport inspector.
½ October 10, 2008
For some strange reason, I never tire of this movie. Used to watch it all the time when I was a kid.
½ January 3, 2008
dennis quaid is a good actor, but this is not a good one for him...winona ryder plays her part well...but i don't think i'd watch this one ever again...not really worth it in my opinion.
December 31, 2007
Ooh, I saw this movie when I was in the 6th grade and was sort of disturbed that Dennis Quaid and Winona Ryder played cousins who married each other. And I think she was only like 13-years-old or something. Ew! The music is great though. And Dennis Quaid is very good. You can tell he's lip syncing but other than that, he's fun to watch.
½ May 4, 2007
Talking about being honest and creepy at the same time. The movie was just all of these things wrap in one big ball.