Great Balls of Fire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Great Balls of Fire Reviews

½ March 15, 2016
The vivid, teen movie style of the 50s is captured here, using Lewis's music to reflect the highs and lows of his life. Winona Ryder is lovely as always, a very underrated talent.
February 9, 2016
Rock'n'Roll has given us many great movies, but if I had to choose, this is the ONE! Brilliant!
April 18, 2015
You'll either like or hate Quaid's over the top Lewis but you can easily see he had fun doing it.
March 4, 2015
love love love this movie
½ January 1, 2015
Movie was decent but I found Quaids performance to be overacting in a way.

Yes Jerry Lee Lewis was a wild sick individual but in a way I could tell he was acting.

I did like the movie in that I learned more about his life but overall it was just ordinary and average.
½ July 22, 2014
Quaid is perfect in the lead role, but Great Balls of Fire is held back by poor writing and directing, resulting in a very mediocre movie.
December 14, 2013
Although Dennis Quaid does a good job the story ultimately boils down to white guy plays black music and gets famous then looses it all by marrying his 13 year old cousin.
December 13, 2013
The history from your Early life time dear Iconic Jerry lee lewis!
December 4, 2013
not a bad film.. hard to take his love affair with his 13 yr old 2nd cousin but quite enjoyable fun film Dennis Quaid does a pretty convincing Jerry
½ May 7, 2013
While lacking any real substance Dennis' Quaid's fully committed performance holds this glossy somewhat bland bio pic together
½ April 21, 2013
well crafted bio-pic of jerry lee lewis
March 28, 2013
its so campy but you can tell the actors are having a good time especially dennis quaid as the larger than life jerry lee lewis. definitely one of my guilty pleasures haha.
March 27, 2013
This film takes a look at the controversial moment in rock and roll legend Jerry Lee Lewis' life when he married his 13-year-old cousin - a move that almost killed his career. It's not exactly the right kind of tribute a rock and roll icon like Jerry Lee Lewis would deserve, nevertheless it's a piece of almost bizarre entertainment also thanks to the fact that it doesn't take itself seriously.
½ January 20, 2013
One of my all-time favs. Quaid is WAAAYYY over the top but it is so fun watching him get there. Best underrated performances come from John Doe & Lisa Blount he exclaims "what's 50% of nuthin?" while she fills her perfectly rectangular pocketbook full of all Jerry Lee's devil money. Gorgeous techni-color. Makes me wish I heard all the music when it first made mom and pop's eardrums bust.
December 7, 2012
hehe....................
½ November 27, 2012
This was a really poorly paced film, but Dennis Quaid was a lot of fun to watch and the music is terrific.
August 26, 2012
I am sure if we got a more complete story about Jerry Lee Lewis we would find it to be a lot more depressing but it would at least be more compelling. This story leaves out a great deal about Jerry Lee Lewis and his life. Dennis Quaid was good at capturing the lively stage persona of the rock legend but thatâ(TM)s where the success stops. I was disappointed to see most of the focus on Lewisâ(TM) romance with his cousin. Quaid & Winona are pretty good together but this movie should have revolved way more music and a more complete story of the tragic fallout of his career. I think it is critical to tell the full Rock n Roll truth and not candy coat it by making a troubled and depressed individual into an untouchable legend. We do not fully come to understand this man or even his journey in this movie. This is a shallow biopic and it is sad not to get a better product than this for one of rock n rollâ(TM)s great pioneers. This should have been about Lewisâ(TM) wild spirit and the price he paid for his wild life.
August 19, 2012
I freaking love this movie.
½ August 16, 2012
It was interesting to see this after having watched Walk the Line. It wasn't as good though, but the performances were impressive.
August 13, 2012
I have seen this movie before and i have fallin in love with it, but i cant watch it agai! X^X