The Green Mile - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Green Mile Reviews

December 12, 2017
though falls slightly short of kings great book and shawshank the green mile still is true to its source and with great acting by the cast it leads the way for a character driven plot that makes for an even more heartbreaking ending.
December 3, 2017
Amazing. Highly recommend. Keep tissues near at hand.
November 16, 2017
Great movie. Very moving, with awesome acting,. I had tears in my eyes at some scenes. Genius.
½ September 30, 2017
another movie that gets better every time I watch it
September 14, 2017
It's not a personal favorite for me.

It's very Stephen King, very Frank Darabont.

And if you love those guys, you don't understand.

If you don't so much love those guys, I think you feel me.

The movie has a huge following because it's

*Optimistic
*Has a warm and soothing very linear narrative
*About men bonding and finding inner peace
*Doesn't really challenge the audience in terms of realism or complicated morals and ethics (good and evil are very simple lessons)
*Is filmed beautifully with a wonderful score (that's Darabont)
*Has a pretty good moral of the story: Work with society as much as you can to be a positive influence...if you're not appreciated, move on and don't look back.
*Had a great cast.

I think where it truly succeeded, and where The Green Mile failed, is that Shawshank tempered the emotional manipulation and the fantastic "miracles" of Stephen King's story, and focused more on the suffering of human beings for most of the movie, with a happy conclusion for the main characters.
The Green Mile got cocky and wanted way too much emotional catharsis from us, without earning it. The pathos it built was strange and uncomfortable. The characters were so over the top Evil and Good it wasn't nearly as affecting.
½ September 13, 2017
O filme é emocionante e desenvolve os personagens muito bem,e conta com um final muito bem dirigido
½ September 10, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Conmovedora y profundamente reflexiva, una historia encantadora con personajes entrañables que hacen de The Green Mile un hermoso pasaje a la empatía humana.
September 8, 2017
One of only a few Stephen King movie adaptations that really hits the mark in the prison drama with a hint of a fantasy. Tom Hanks plays Paul Edgecomb, a guard working on a death row known as 'the green mile' when John Coffey, played by Michael Clarke Duncan,is brought in for the rape and murder of two little girls. However we soon learn that there's something special about John and Paul sets out to learn what really happened and just what this gentle giant is capable of. This is a great ensemble piece from all of the actors involved and Tom Hanks and Michael Clarke Duncan in particular put in stunningly emotional and compelling performances. It's also very true to the source material, taking quotes from the book and bringing it to life with great set pieces and direction from Frank Darabont. Although this is a long film at just over 3 hours. it uses that time well and allows the viewer to really get to know and love characters so that by the end you won't be able to hold back your tears. Absolutely a must see, just keep some tissues handy.
½ September 7, 2017
A brilliant moving film with great actors based on a Stephen King story.
September 6, 2017
Writer and Director, Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption), wrote and directed this film based off of the novel by, Stephen King. Tom Hanks, David Morse, and Michael Clarke Duncan star in this film of a man (Duncan) who is falsely accused of the rape and murder of two little girls. This movie is a very effective and intense look inside prison and death row and it's inmates. Frank Darabont, directed this film with a vision and it shows. This film is a very emotional drama about the lives of four prison guards working on the, Green Mile, changed by, John Coffey (Duncan). This film is a terrific prison drama, and is worth a watch.
½ August 12, 2017
I do like the idea of Stephen King multi-verse. all the movies are their own worlds were other stories connect, and the "dark tower" is supposed to separate and protect them all from this "dark outer realm" that these creatures that infest and,plague most of the king stories example: the mist, it, the stand etc. but because of the man in black "who by the way is Randall flag" is attacking the towers and letting these monsters slip into those worlds. And that is why Pennywise the dancing clown is actually a giant spider. Our heroes with the "shining" ability like John Coffey have been put through out king's stories to help protect the the dark tower. I would have liked these movies to have put more emphasis on that. possibly leading to a much larger story.
August 7, 2017
The most amazing film I've ever seen.
August 5, 2017
This may not be a movie you watch again and again, but it is a movie that everyone should at least watch once to think about their own stance at moral, justice and the fact that we might not me as moral as we think and justice is rare.
½ August 4, 2017
The first half of the film is genuinely unsettling, providing a warning of how corruption and nepotism can erode standards and allow maliciousness to go unchecked. When it comes, the climax of Percy's sadism is shocking and brutal.

After this emotional gut punch, the film becomes slightly more tame, with the second half focusing mainly on the healing power of John Coffey. Coffey's character has been criticized as being of a 'magic negro' stereotype- a black character whose purpose in life is to solve a problem for or further the happiness of a white person. But Coffey's character exists partly to challenge the racism of the depression-era Louisiana setting- his pure innocence and benevolence in the face of a murder conviction confounds the expectations of those such as his lawyer, who's comparison of him to a vicious dog is the most obvious example of racism in the film.

Still, Coffey's innocence presents a problem. He becomes an almost messianical figure, a saviour who exists to take away other's pain but is never believably human. This is a shame, as he has some morally dubious points, such as when he uses his power to use Percy to kill 'Wild Bill' Wharton, in the process committing Percy to a mental institution. This is justified in the film as Wharton is a mass murderer and Percy is an abusive guard. But by failing to question Coffey's right to condemn those 'bad people' to death, the film misses and opportunity to reflect on the legal system's right to do the same.

The film is bookended by an unnecessary, sentimental flashback intro and outro, which drags it out to over three hours. Still, in the main body of the film various injustices are not resolved so neatly. These include the lack of proper retribution for Percy's torture of 'Del'. for Coffey's indirect murder of Wharton and institutionalisation of Percy, the lack of recognition of Coffey as innocent, and Wharton as guilty of the murder of the two young girls, not to mention the injustice of a system that executes it's criminals and subjects them to psychological torture as they wait on death row for their turn to walk the 'mile'. The 'Green Mile' could be a morally complex and challenging film about abuse of power and the right of authority to judge and execute. It is, but it loses some of it's potency in the overly sanctimonious portrayal of John Coffee.
July 17, 2017
Fantastic film. Engrossing and emotionally charged.
June 11, 2017
This is a great movie I have seen it like hundred time in the last few months sometimes it is sad but mostly funny
½ June 11, 2017
The Green Mile Manages to give a soulful drama about hurt with tear-jerking performances from Tom Hanks and Michael Clarke Duncan
June 3, 2017
The movie makes a great use of its length to flesh out the characters and their links, which makes the ending all the more powerful. A truly unique bittersweet tale and one of my favorites. Masterpiece
½ May 27, 2017
A near masterpiece. It's a powerful film on many levels. (First viewing - Early 2000 in theaters)
May 9, 2017
Everything about this movie is fantastic! All the acting is great, and the plot is straightforward and the story fresh. I would recommend this movie to anyone!