The Green Mile - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Green Mile Reviews

½ May 25, 2017
(First viewing - Early 2000 in theaters)
May 9, 2017
Everything about this movie is fantastic! All the acting is great, and the plot is straightforward and the story fresh. I would recommend this movie to anyone!
April 30, 2017
The Green Mile Manages to give a soulful drama about hurt with tear-jerking performances from Tom Hanks and Michael Clarke Duncan
April 29, 2017
This film gets me every time! It's quite possibly one of the saddest films I've ever watched. Some people have said its a very long movie, yeah it is but its a very good movie and I never feel bored watching it. Tom Hanks is great as always but Michael Clarke Duncan gives the performance of his career in this.
½ April 15, 2017
Ikke akkurat subtil hele veien, men det er da heller ikke Stephen King, så jeg velger å tro at Darabont er tro mot boka. Michael Clarke Duncan er sårt savnet. Han er enestående her.
½ April 14, 2017
I think this movie is better than Forest Gump, it has heart, it has sadness, and it has cornbread.
½ April 6, 2017
A long, emotional journey with fantastic performances. Tom Hanks and Michael Clarke Duncan of course take this movie to another level, which all adds up to a grief-filled story, with slight heartwarming moments.
April 4, 2017
Warning: This Review May Contain Spoilers.

While The Shawshank Redemption is widely called the best jail/prison movie ever made, The Green Mile is often compared to it and the 2 films can easily be seen as rivals. What's interesting is that both films were directed by the same person, Frank Darabont. However, there is something major which sets both of them apart. The Shawshank Redemption was mainly from the prisoners perspective. The Green Mile, on the other hand, is mainly focused on the prison guards perspective. I was very interested in seeing this movie because I was curious of what he was going to do with it. I was not disappointed when I saw it and I'm glad that I did.

After an African American man is sent on death row after supposedly killing 2 young girls, the prisoners and prison guards are shocked when they realize that he has a miraculous gift. They soon start to think that he probably didn't commit the crime and he may be killed for something he didn't do.

The best thing about The Green Mile is that it is an emotionally absorbing experience with well-developed characters that I cared for deeply. The movie lets us know that just because the prisoners did something bad once in their lives, they still have a charming and kinder side to them and they might not be as bad as most would expect a death row inmate to be. The movie uses this to make you care for the characters. And you know what, it does a great job at it. Scenes when they die are very sad because of the kinder side the gives to them. I have to give this movie credit for making me grow a connection to death row inmates.

There are also characters that you really hate and want to see killed instead of ones you like. There is Wild Bill, a crazy and immature prisoner who acts rude to everyone. The movie did a great job making me hate his character. However, the character that I hated the most was Percy Wetmore. He treats all of the prisoners poorly and shows no respect to any of them. He is even hated by all of the prison guards. There were a few sadistic things he did which I felt were slightly exaggerated and over-the-top, but that's not to say that those actions didn't cause me to develop any sort of vendetta or hatred towards him. All in all, the movie does a great job with most of the main characters. There were some characters which I had a strong emotional attachment to, and there were other ones which I had a bitter hatred for.

Another thing I really loved about the movie was its fantasy aspect. It made the movie very interesting and it made the ending kind of thought provoking. I can understand why someone might find it to be jarring, but I didn't find it to be that at all. I think that it fit just fine in the movie and it is one of the things which made John Coffey such a great character. It immediately made me become drawn to him and the film becomes much more interesting once he gets introduced. Also, the ending is thought provoking because it makes the viewer speculate why Paul is living so long. It begs the question whether Paul's gift of living longer is actually a gift or a punishment. It also makes me wonder how long he will live.

In mine and many other people's opinions, John Coffey's death is the saddest movie death scene of all time. It was not only fleshed out very well, but it was also proven that John Coffey was innocent. This isn't the first film to have a wrongly convicted convict, but it is definitely the film which fleshed it out the most and made the nature of it hit the hardest. Also, the scene when he dies is very sad since it has numerous things in it which can make the viewer feel sad. It could be his last words, it could be the fact that Paul was hesitant to give the final order, it could be the part when he shakes his hand goodbye, or several other things which happen in it.

Despite everything I said so far, the movie is not perfect. The issues in it mainly rely on its pacing and length. Its pacing flaws are most noticeable in the first act as it takes way too long for John's gift to be introduced as the movie deals with numerous sub-plots first and it takes way too long to introduce us to all of the characters. The movie introduces us as to how Percy loses his temper easily by having him break someone's fingers, it shows us a flashback of John being caught, it introduces us to the Warden and his wife, it shows the guards find a mouse and let Del keep it as a pet, it shows another execution, and many other scenes. Also, I felt like it sometimes took a long time for the movie to move along near the middle of it and some parts of it seemed bland. The pacing and length needed work, but that's my only major complaint with the film.

Despite the pacing and length, The Green Mile was well worth my time. It was an emotionally absorbing experience with well-developed characters that I cared for greatly. This is the kind of a movie where you keep on rooting for a happy ending even though you know that it's probably going to have a tragic one. I also really liked the fantasy aspect to it, and it made the movie very interesting and the ending somewhat thought provoking and even more poignant. It's not going to be replacing The Shawshank Redemption anytime soon, but I still recommend it and I think that it is worth your time.
½ April 3, 2017
Tom Hanks like able as always. Bits of humor - always good. So many understanding prison guards was hard to buy. Gruesome electric chair scene - pretty effective though. Sharp shooter from Private Ryan was one of the guards - really good actor - has that stage presence that dominates when he's on screen. The black inmate wasn't bad, but too much of a caricature to deserve supporting actor Oscar.
½ April 1, 2017
Openly racist movie with the stereotype of the black, kind uncle tom. Strangely, he's is the only black guy in the corridor of the death even if we know that the condemned to death are mostly black.
½ March 23, 2017
An amazing movie, the addition of the powers made me wary at the beginning because it adds an element of fantasy to the movie rather than staging it like a fact, but the ending really brought everything home. In the end, it serves to show how good a man John Coffey really was, and the 'shards of glass' simile was the perfect description for what he felt. The jury watching him tore me apart.
½ March 23, 2017
By the end you'll be holding back tears.
March 20, 2017
Very sad and terrific movie.
March 20, 2017
One of the two films to make me cry. Very long but I wouldn't change anything about it. Even Hanks gives a good performance for a change. Duncan of course steals the film from him. Heartbreakingly brutal.
March 11, 2017
Pretty perfect adaptation of the novel with great casting and terrific, assured direction from Darabont.
February 28, 2017
It's lengthy run-time is a challenge in endurance, but for those that make the trek, The Green Mile has an emotionally powerful caper.
February 7, 2017
Based on the novel of the same name by Stephen King. Prison Warden Paul Edgecomb (Hanks) had never encountered someone like John Coffey (Duncan) on death row before, a massive black man convicted of brutally killing a pair of young girls. Coffey had the size and strength to kill anyone, but not the demeanor. Paul begins to doubt that Coffey actually committed the crime he has been sentenced to death for.
February 1, 2017
Great emotional movie.
½ January 31, 2017
The overly long but fascinating story about tolerance and forgiveness. Probably too sentimental but in overall it's a powerful experience.
½ January 26, 2017
Stephen King is freakishly genius.
I watched this movie when i was 10 year old. but i can't forget it until now. If i have four thumbs, i'm gonna give all of them to this movie and , of course, Mr. Stephen King. You did a very good job ??????