Grizzly Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Grizzly Man Reviews

February 23, 2017
I knoooow, I'm late to the party, who cares. this is Werner Herzog's documentary film on a bear-loving wacko who ends up getting eaten by a grizzly in Alaska. I mean, what's NOT to like?!
½ January 29, 2017
Don't feed the bears.
½ January 23, 2017
Really good documentary. Mr Treadwell was a character.
½ January 11, 2017
Interesting story, but, thought it was a little disappointing overall
January 2, 2017
Werner Herzog's documentary is a brutal, horrifying, and beautiful look at the mindset and exploits of (probably disturbed) nature lover Timothy Treadwell.

By playing stretches of Treadwell's home video footage in the wilderness as well as interviewing people who supported and criticized him over the years, Herzog takes his time to carefully explore this bizarre but endlessly fascinating infamous figure from the 90s. He even weighs in with own opinions, making sure to not be too critical but also not too lenient on Treadwell either. It's a much appreciated approach. Herzog respects his audience and doesn't hit you over the head with his film's ideas.

Perhaps best of all though, Herzog allows much of Treadwell's home videos to speak for themselves. The footage of bears is both intense and extraordinary. Nobody can say that Treadwell didn't have a talent for film-making. However, you also see the rants and ramblings of a man who seemed to be on the verge of a mental breakdown. It's frightening and tragic to see such instability on video.

Grizzly Man is a masterfully crafted car wreck - and I mean that in the most positive way. It's genuinely horrific and upsetting but you just can't stop watching. This is one documentary that is not to be missed.
½ December 31, 2016
Amazing documentary, uniquely depicting nature photography like you've never seen, and the ultimately fatal psychological collapse of a very strange human being. In turns as daft as it is incredibly dark. Worth a watch.
½ December 1, 2016
Interesting, yet delusional.
½ November 4, 2016
"Grizzly Man" is another fascinating, masterful documentary from Werner Herzog, in which he profiles the eccentric Timothy Treadwell, a man who studied the bears and desired nothing more than to live amongst them. Whether you believe that Treadwell's mission, beliefs, or lifestyle was right, wrong, or completely insane is irrelevant, Herzog explains best with his closing statement:

"It is not so much a look at wild nature, as it is an insight into ourselves, our nature, and that, for me, beyond his mission, gives meaning to his life and to his death."
October 26, 2016
What makes Herzog rise above other documentarians is his ability to take a side but not force it on its audience. He clearly has an opinion of the subject, but at the same time doesn't manipulate us into agreeing with him. He gives us a fair and balanced look at Treadwell and allows us to develop our own opinion of him, which is what makes this such an exceptional documentary.
October 16, 2016
I didn't like the subject matter but I like Werner Herzog. I felt Timothy was a weirdo and it was interesting to a degree, but they paint to be a very weird and unsympathetic character so I didn't like him.
½ October 3, 2016
Werner Herzog does what he does: Find a captivating subject and fairly chronicle that subject in every way.

Part biography and part nature documentary, "Grizzly Man" is a unique perspective on a unique man and from a place that no man has gathered footage before or since. Timothy Treadwell, the grizzly man, is the type of person who provokes many emotions. Unfortunately, Treadwell is like a car wreck. You know you shouldn't pay attention, but few have the ability to look away. The footage of the bears is incredible.
½ October 2, 2016
A powerful examination of a bizarre and fascinating individual. Herzog embraces the elusiveness of Treadwell and even manages to find poignancy in his seemingly senseless death.
½ September 22, 2016
Lo lejos que puede llegar un hombre para alcanzar un poco de notoriedad, me enferma, me hace sentir cosas inexplicables.
½ September 8, 2016
Timothy Treadwell, everything about your courage and motivation is an astonishing legacy.
July 24, 2016
Utterly moving. In it is the story of one man's passion, love, and dedication for mature and life. It moves you making you feel every bit of emotion that Timothy Tredwell must have ever felt. Anyone who has ever had a deep unbridled passion for anything; art, music, film, nature, you can relate. Because this is not only a story of one man's life, it's a universal story about passion and humanity.
July 24, 2016
A man goes to Alaska to live amongst the grizzlies. There are some amazing shots of wildlife and landscape, but you will watch the story thinking Timothy Treadwell did more damage than good.
July 19, 2016
Herzog is amazingly empathetic when it would have been much easier to ridicule. A surprisingly human portrait.
July 11, 2016
Civilization is a natural disaster who's menace constantly encroaches on the last redoubts. One person cares so much that he becomes as close to one with the creatures he seeks to protect as is viably possible. In the end too close.
May 15, 2016
Truly one of the best documentaries out there about grizzly bears and awareness of them. It is sad that Tim got eaten alive by of them. It shows a great aspect of life towards how we have to be aware of the grizzly bear and at the same time value what we have.
April 30, 2016
I guess what makes this doc interesting is the flawed nature of the lead protagonist.