Hairspray - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hairspray Reviews

August 13, 2017
See the *Original Hairspray" Who wants to see John Revolta dressed as a big drag queen and the movie stinks!
July 17, 2017
A good adaptation of the musical based on the 80's film by John Waters. Fun and lighthearted for those looking for a feel good story which is never too serious.
July 12, 2017
I LOVE HAIRSPRAY!!! This was such a great movie. The singing, dancing, costumes, make-up and the hair were awesome! I have to see it again.
July 12, 2017
If ur looking for John Travolta Dressed in drag, then Hairspray is definitely for u
June 23, 2017
One of the best musicals I have seen, its choreographies are outstanding and very well done. A story about a girl who wants to be a dancer on her favorite TV show in the 1960s, amidst the events of racial segregation that affected that country. It's a pity Nikki Blonsky is not that famous nowadays, she's really talented. John Travolta's role is the highlight, though. Seeing him act as a woman is the most hilarious element of the movie.
½ May 18, 2017
Hairspray is directed by Adam Shankman, and it stars Nikki Blonsky, John Travolta, Michelle Pfeiffer, Christopher Walken, and Amanda Bynes in a musical comedy about a high school student in 1962 that wants to be a TV star in a dance show called The Corny Collins Show, but the manager of the show would not let her in because she is against big people for being in TV shows. It's been almost a decade since this movie was out in theaters, and I haven't seen it for a while, so I wanted to watch it again, even though I haven't seen the original yet. So with this, it's a really great film. The acting is pretty good which I'm surprised I haven't seen much of Nikki Blonsky in more films, and it's honestly really strange for John Travolta to be the main character's mother, and I thought he did fine, even though the singing is quite questionable in some moments. The songs are memorable, and the choreography is pretty fun to watch which the director did a good job of doing so. The subject matters that we're in the film were pretty interesting to see in a kids film, and it has a great balance and it done in a smart way that kids will understand due to a tight script from Leslie Dixon. The villain is a bit of fun from Michelle Pfeiffer just being enjoyably over the top. If there's one legitimate issue that I do have with the film, is that the last song in the end lasted a bit too long for me, and was stretched out for me. Those are the only issues as I had a lot of fun with Hairspray, more then I remember of it, and with the 2016 Academy Award Best Picture route coming to a close, the next film will definitely be the last one, which with this being a musical, you know what it might be.
½ April 14, 2017
while musically acute, the film's tone flips from fun, to corny, to serious and then seriously corny back to fun.
April 9, 2017
So wonderful and funny. I enjoyed every minute. Seaweed was amazing. Zac Effron was surprisingly great, and Nikki Blonsky was amazing. The only reason I docked half a star was John Travolta. He was horrific
February 24, 2017
Wow, this musical brought me so much joy. It's a kind of joy I get only from watching musicals. We're familiar with the John waters film, but this one knocks the crap out of the original. With infectious songs and top notch dancing, there is no way you cannot possibly want to get up and start dancing yourself. The only way you could not like this movie is if you have the cynicism of Thomas Hobbes. Or you just need to reevaluate your life, because there is so much joy in this film, it's irresistible. Easily in the top 5 of the best musicals of the 2000's!
February 13, 2017
Who doesn't like musicals? In this movie the music in this movie is like it makes you wanna dance the whole way though the movie. I gave it 5 stars because the music was awesome I mean all of the cast had an beautiful voice.
½ December 26, 2016
Hairspray is cliched, unoriginal and a bit boring, but its songs, cast and its performances are outstanding
½ December 5, 2016
This film had me gagging on a terrible, sugar-coated movie with equally as terrible and sugar-coated music. It make me uneasy and generally weird. This film did not have to exist.
November 28, 2016
Absolutely the best musical film.
November 28, 2016
It would have been better without John Travolta!

11/28/16 Upon a second viewing JT didn't bother me as much. I am still sad about some of the songs they left out though.
November 14, 2016
A feel-good musical...
½ August 10, 2016
Director Adam Shankman bombs our screens with this fun, loud, colourful and musical extravaganza, adapting the popular Broadway and West End sensation. Though Hairspray could have so easily been a camp and irritating mess, this 2007 film showcases irresistibly catchy songs, an entertaining and thought-provoking story and an all-star, all-hair cast, making it an unqualified success. Newcomer Nikki Blonsky is brilliant in the lead role as the big girl with a big heart, Tracy Turnblad, aided by Christopher Walken, Michelle Pfeiffer and a hilarious John Travolta in drag. Based around the TV segregation of 1960's America, Hairspray manages to convey an important message, whilst still keeping a light-hearted and easy feel. Overall, Hairspray, expected by many to be too tumultuous for film, succeeds in being an entertaining and polished film, that is faithful to its source material, whilst also giving its own interesting spin.
August 6, 2016
Fuck! This! Movie!
It is so repulsive there really isn't anything to say about it,
I'm just thinking on what to say because it's so bad as in fact flawless in every possible level, I just can't believe it got such high reviews, It doesn't deserve that!

Score: 0/10
August 4, 2016
I ???????? Hairspray!
jamrcla
½ July 30, 2016
Boring, Need I say anymore?
July 28, 2016
Funny, energetic and inspiring, Hairspray boasts perfect musical numbers, lively performances from a terrific cast and still manages to do justice to its social issues.