Hairspray - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hairspray Reviews

½ December 5, 2016
This film had me gagging on a terrible, sugar-coated movie with equally as terrible and sugar-coated music. It make me uneasy and generally weird. This film did not have to exist.
November 28, 2016
Absolutely the best musical film.
November 28, 2016
It would have been better without John Travolta!

11/28/16 Upon a second viewing JT didn't bother me as much. I am still sad about some of the songs they left out though.
November 14, 2016
A feel-good musical...
½ August 10, 2016
Director Adam Shankman bombs our screens with this fun, loud, colourful and musical extravaganza, adapting the popular Broadway and West End sensation. Though Hairspray could have so easily been a camp and irritating mess, this 2007 film showcases irresistibly catchy songs, an entertaining and thought-provoking story and an all-star, all-hair cast, making it an unqualified success. Newcomer Nikki Blonsky is brilliant in the lead role as the big girl with a big heart, Tracy Turnblad, aided by Christopher Walken, Michelle Pfeiffer and a hilarious John Travolta in drag. Based around the TV segregation of 1960's America, Hairspray manages to convey an important message, whilst still keeping a light-hearted and easy feel. Overall, Hairspray, expected by many to be too tumultuous for film, succeeds in being an entertaining and polished film, that is faithful to its source material, whilst also giving its own interesting spin.
August 6, 2016
Fuck! This! Movie!
It is so repulsive there really isn't anything to say about it,
I'm just thinking on what to say because it's so bad as in fact flawless in every possible level, I just can't believe it got such high reviews, It doesn't deserve that!

Score: 0/10
August 4, 2016
I ???????? Hairspray!
jamrcla
½ July 30, 2016
Boring, Need I say anymore?
July 28, 2016
Funny, energetic and inspiring, Hairspray boasts perfect musical numbers, lively performances from a terrific cast and still manages to do justice to its social issues.
July 18, 2016
john travolta as a woman, how can i miss it?!
July 12, 2016
Definitely the best musical movie of the current century, and among the best ever made.
July 12, 2016
This was good too similar to the orginal though.
July 11, 2016
Delightful and fun and yet it has a serous message. Ah if only we could resolve all our differences and conflicts with dancing and singing.
The music is fun but... not really memorable I thought. The costumes were great. Felt that it was longer than it was... prob with all the singing.
Felt much
July 2, 2016
Everytime it is on tv I always sing along to the breathtaking music montages. John Travolta's performance in this is hysterical. A definite must see.
June 27, 2016
I must say I am more a fan of the original John Waters flick.  (He makes a chuckle worthy cameo during "Good Morning Baltimore.")  This version is pure camp.  Nikki Blonsky sings her little heart out and she has such a terrific voice.  I like all of her songs.  One question about her wardrobe...were they trying to make her look unflattering?  I did however think she looked much better in her 60s dresses. My favorite song I originally thought was "Welcome to the 60s" but after listening to the soundtrack which I promptly got my greedy little hands on I decided it was without a doubt "Good Morning Baltimore."  That adorable girl doesn't need any dialogue or John Travolta interrupting her singing.  And speaking of Travolta he looked hideous!  I mean nasty.  Didn't he used to sing pretty well (or was that all in my head)?  His singing is painful in Hairspray.  I'll admit I've never been to Baltimore (it's true).  Is Travolta's accent a real accent?  I mean who in the wide world talks like that?  Moving along I used to watch "What I Like About You."  I now recall Amanda Bynes got on my nerves in that TV show too.  Boy she's annoying.  Michelle Pfeiffer was wicked as Velma.  Christopher Walken, James Marsden (don't mind looking at him plus he's got a nice set of pipes), Queen Latifah and Brittany Snow were all fantastic.  Jerry Stiller loyal to his Hairspray roots makes a cameo.  I now know why so many young girls are in love with "High School Musical."  Even if he is a presumed primadonna Zac Efron is nice to look at and is a great singer.  I don't think I could enjoy him on "High School Musical" though.  I was more attracted to his 60s mod/Beatles look.  Slicked back hair and tight pants look nice on that kid.  I bought this for my mom for Christmas.  It's not one I would own though.  It's cute.  I'll leave it up to you.
June 25, 2016
John Travolta dressed as a woman ... what a cool sight that was
June 8, 2016
First things first this will never beat the original but it certainly give it a run for its money. Hairspray features the talents of christopher walken and john travolta. Making this remake feel fresh and damn right hilarious, a retelling of the ultimate feel good film. Hairspray can be watched again and again.
½ May 22, 2016
I've seen this movie and I really appreciate the humor. John Travolta does a great job playing Edna Turnblad, and Michelle Pfeiffer also is great in this movie. Penny, the friend of Tracy Turnblad, is especially hilarious in some of the romance scenes with Seaweed J. Stubbs!
May 9, 2016
Not only do I love this film, but this is one of my favorite movies of all time. I love the characters, the story, and especially the music. The acting is pretty good as well. This film has a big cast, and all of the actors do great. I really like Tracy and how determined she is. I really like Penny, Link, Seaweed, and Motormouth Maybelle, and Corny. I love that the story touches upon racism as well. The best aspect of this film is of course the music. I can't help but listen to these songs over and over again. They're just so catchy and fun. I don't even know what else to say. I think Hairspray is a fun, energized treat with enjoyable characters, a good story, and awesome songs. It's one of my all time favorite movies. I loved it as a kid and I'll love it from years to come.
May 2, 2016
suprisingly enjoyable remake.will have you dancing away and singing the songs with your mates when too much alcohol has been consumed. watch out for the John Waters cameo