Hairspray - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hairspray Reviews

July 18, 2016
john travolta as a woman, how can i miss it?!
July 12, 2016
Definitely the best musical movie of the current century, and among the best ever made.
July 12, 2016
This was good too similar to the orginal though.
July 11, 2016
Delightful and fun and yet it has a serous message. Ah if only we could resolve all our differences and conflicts with dancing and singing.
The music is fun but... not really memorable I thought. The costumes were great. Felt that it was longer than it was... prob with all the singing.
Felt much
July 2, 2016
Everytime it is on tv I always sing along to the breathtaking music montages. John Travolta's performance in this is hysterical. A definite must see.
June 27, 2016
I must say I am more a fan of the original John Waters flick.  (He makes a chuckle worthy cameo during "Good Morning Baltimore.")  This version is pure camp.  Nikki Blonsky sings her little heart out and she has such a terrific voice.  I like all of her songs.  One question about her wardrobe...were they trying to make her look unflattering?  I did however think she looked much better in her 60s dresses. My favorite song I originally thought was "Welcome to the 60s" but after listening to the soundtrack which I promptly got my greedy little hands on I decided it was without a doubt "Good Morning Baltimore."  That adorable girl doesn't need any dialogue or John Travolta interrupting her singing.  And speaking of Travolta he looked hideous!  I mean nasty.  Didn't he used to sing pretty well (or was that all in my head)?  His singing is painful in Hairspray.  I'll admit I've never been to Baltimore (it's true).  Is Travolta's accent a real accent?  I mean who in the wide world talks like that?  Moving along I used to watch "What I Like About You."  I now recall Amanda Bynes got on my nerves in that TV show too.  Boy she's annoying.  Michelle Pfeiffer was wicked as Velma.  Christopher Walken, James Marsden (don't mind looking at him plus he's got a nice set of pipes), Queen Latifah and Brittany Snow were all fantastic.  Jerry Stiller loyal to his Hairspray roots makes a cameo.  I now know why so many young girls are in love with "High School Musical."  Even if he is a presumed primadonna Zac Efron is nice to look at and is a great singer.  I don't think I could enjoy him on "High School Musical" though.  I was more attracted to his 60s mod/Beatles look.  Slicked back hair and tight pants look nice on that kid.  I bought this for my mom for Christmas.  It's not one I would own though.  It's cute.  I'll leave it up to you.
June 25, 2016
John Travolta dressed as a woman ... what a cool sight that was
June 8, 2016
First things first this will never beat the original but it certainly give it a run for its money. Hairspray features the talents of christopher walken and john travolta. Making this remake feel fresh and damn right hilarious, a retelling of the ultimate feel good film. Hairspray can be watched again and again.
½ May 22, 2016
I've seen this movie and I really appreciate the humor. John Travolta does a great job playing Edna Turnblad, and Michelle Pfeiffer also is great in this movie. Penny, the friend of Tracy Turnblad, is especially hilarious in some of the romance scenes with Seaweed J. Stubbs!
May 9, 2016
Not only do I love this film, but this is one of my favorite movies of all time. I love the characters, the story, and especially the music. The acting is pretty good as well. This film has a big cast, and all of the actors do great. I really like Tracy and how determined she is. I really like Penny, Link, Seaweed, and Motormouth Maybelle, and Corny. I love that the story touches upon racism as well. The best aspect of this film is of course the music. I can't help but listen to these songs over and over again. They're just so catchy and fun. I don't even know what else to say. I think Hairspray is a fun, energized treat with enjoyable characters, a good story, and awesome songs. It's one of my all time favorite movies. I loved it as a kid and I'll love it from years to come.
May 2, 2016
suprisingly enjoyable remake.will have you dancing away and singing the songs with your mates when too much alcohol has been consumed. watch out for the John Waters cameo
April 22, 2016
Fun characters that dealt with a serious issue at the moment. It was okay
April 5, 2016
I like the original, I like the musical... I'm sure it will be great whenever I get around to watching it.
½ March 28, 2016
Fun movie and musical, but not the most meaningful.
½ March 23, 2016
The level of joy that exudes from every frame of this film is off the charts. I am simply amazed by how much it made me smile basically from start to finish. One of the best aspects was how self-aware the entire film appeared to be. In every way they knew that the whole thing was a little silly, and so they just had fun with it. The actors were great at handling all the tongue-in-cheek moments while still keeping the story somewhat honest and heartfelt. I wish they had put less focus on Travolta, because they were clearly trying to make a big deal out of "man dressed as woman" even though the story of Tracy's mom is much less compelling (especially considering all the other stuff going on.) The surprise for me in this movie was the focus on integration, simply because I never knew that was a theme this musical tackled. The movie didn't seem disrespectful to the topic, even though it was handled in an over-the-top way. Also it made a nice parallel story for someone like Tracy who struggles with a form of discrimination because of her size. The songs are very fun, and had me tapping my toes and humming along. In fact, when the film ended I still had the songs echoing in my head and felt like dancing. Hairspray is not a masterpiece of cinema, it's not one of the great musicals, but something about the infectious happiness of it all grabbed me. I honestly can't wait to watch it again.
March 17, 2016
love it just watched it today
February 5, 2016
love this movie its so awesome!!!!! ;))))
January 16, 2016
Energetic, catchy, and heartfelt, Hairspray is a funny and uplifting musical adaptation that will make anybody want to sing and laugh
January 4, 2016
tireless musical mixes addictive songs and convivially interesting personages. but appeals to modern sensibilities to importune the past often makes 'hairspray' a propaganda exercise, rather than an impassioned search for tolerance.
December 29, 2015
im not sure why i want to see it, im pretty sure that i will always like the john waters version way more. but ill give it a try.