Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers Reviews

May 15, 2017
A nice return to the heart of the series. Not all it could have been but I definitely didn't leave disappointed
April 26, 2017
This Movie Turned 25 Years Old In 2013 When 2009 Was 4 Years Old.
March 27, 2017
Not as great as Halloween 1 and 2, but it has an interesting plot and handles it well.
March 3, 2017
It doesn't recapture the magic of the original, but seeing Michael Myers again, albeit with a different actor and a new mask, is still a gleefully terrifying sight indeed. As far as slasher sequels go, this one delivers the goods, with an unexpectedly disturbing ending to boot.
½ February 20, 2017
So much better than part 3!!! This belongs among the classic 80's horror movies, but only because it is both scary and ridiculous at times. Donald Pleasence is a treat to have back as well. If you like slasher flicks, you should like this one. It may not always make sense, but that is part of what made it fun.
½ February 20, 2017
Being the third film to feature Michael Myers in the Halloween franchise, especially after 7 years, it's evident that an effort was actually made in order to create this movie, unlike Halloween II. In attempt to reboot the series, the movie does come off to a rocky start. However, it does eventually adopt its own, unique, story, impressively without trying to totally copy the magical atmosphere of Halloween and Halloween II. In fact, Halloween 4 decides not to completely forget the plot of the originals. Instead, it cleverly expands and reinforces the motives and mythology of Michael Myers.

The writing is decent in a supernatural, if sometimes a little ridiculous, way. You won't see much that's too out there, though. It's not like the film isn't trying to be what it is; which is a slightly supernatural horror film.

And, finally, it's pretty blatant that this isn't nearly as good as Halloween. It's definitely comparable to Halloween II, though. The performances in Halloween 4 are pretty great, surprisingly. It has a bit of an intricate, one-track plot, and the characters actually feel real, with emotions and an individual role in the movie. But, on the disappointing side of things, Halloween 4 feels very convenient and illogical many times throughout the movie, which is one of the only things about this movie that really drags it down.
½ February 16, 2017
Its not bad, but it just gets annoying and old to see Michael Myers not die and do the same thing he always does. It also gets old seeing Doctor Loomis pursue Michael and save the day at the end. Altohugh Donald Pleasance's performance is still great. But the story in this is a little unexplained. Michael stops pursuing Laurie Strode, waits ten years to break out of confinement (prison or not) and pursues Laurie's daughter Jamie Lloyd (Danielle Harris). Now why don't they ever explain who Jamie's father is and how Laurie had a kid and how she had to let her go into foster care. Maybe to keep her safe from Michael? But we will never know because they don't explain it and the movie isn't very well at explaining her story. This film also isn't as scary as the others and doesn't have suspense and non-predictability that the original certainly had and the second film somewhat had. Also there is no Jamie Lee Curtis. The plot twist is very cool though but it doesn't make the film great like the first and second. But it is well acted, directed, and edited. So for that I'll give it three and a half out of five. It also has a crazy ending that makes viewers want to see the sequel.
February 3, 2017
the suspense is ok, as is the directing, so it makles it bearable, but the story... is idiotic. Every possible wrong turn is taken, dialogues are inane, and almost every single character is dumb and mean, like its been written by bad people or something. I realize 80's movies thought obnoxious was cool but this one is way too heavy in this department.
½ January 16, 2017
Okay I Liked this movie because they returned Michael Myers Which everybody wanted But I don't know if I should say If it was good Film Like The story was good Well Because THEY Returned Michael Myers Thank You Very Much I'll Give It SOMETHING Nice! OH AND HERE'S A COOKIE!
½ November 5, 2016
Donald Pleasence and Danielle Harris were pretty good but the rest is mostly bland.
November 1, 2016
It's fun, and much better than Halloween III, but it could have been better and lacked scares like the first film.
October 31, 2016
An average film, with nothing too original or intriguing to hold onto.
October 30, 2016
While not as suspenseful or original as the first two, this Myers follow-up captures the Haddonfield atmosphere perfectly while adding some to the original story.
½ October 29, 2016
Even with Mikey's return, this film was way over the top in the kill scenes. Many totally unbelievable or way cheesy. The highlight is the ending, it gets a couple of stars by itself.
½ October 23, 2016
A decent attempt at making Michael Myers return. This movie is somewhat a good sequel just there were to many bad things in it for me to say it was a decent sequel. First off the mask was horrible, and the characters were kind've boring. Also in this movie it's almost like Michael can teleport. He gets from the roof to ground level in a minor 3 seconds. Donald Pleasance was Fantastic as his roll as Dr.Loomis. One last comment is how did Michael, and Loomis survive that fire. That fire was more of an explosion.
½ October 20, 2016
The dawning of the Danielle Harris era, this film is very near and dear to me. It was the first Halloween film I saw many years ago. What stuck with me so much was the ending. It's such a bone chilling moment. It has its issues with the story but overall it's great. I may be overly high on it for being sentimental to it, but. I don't care lol. Its one of my favorites!
October 16, 2016
Although it is very similar to the original, Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers is at least a step up from the third entry.
½ October 15, 2016
Good but not great but still a good chapter in the franchise
October 12, 2016
Solid entry into the "Halloween" franchise not only for returning the focus to Michael Myers (after the misfire of "Halloween III") but also being a smart, scary film in it's own right. Donald Pleasance makes a nice return as Loomis, giving the same gravitas as he did in the first two films, while Danielle Harris, even at a young age, showed she was well on her way to her future scream queen status. Behind the camera, director Dwight Little keeps things moving quickly and effectively, with some smart touches, showing Myers taking proactive steps to cripple the town of Hadonfield before attacking while the police & towns people instantly react when he appears instead of trying to stupidly deny him. If there is a flaw in the film is that is moves too quickly, not giving enough character development for either Jamie or Michael (it's hinted they have a psychic connection, being uncle & niece). Plus, there is a missed opportunity in showing how Myers reign of terror effected Hadonfield (one quick but effective scene has a bunch of kids dressed as him for fun). Nevertheless, one of the best of the "Halloween" sequels, and a nice addition to the holiday rotation.
October 9, 2016
Good flick that brings back Michael Myers (Halloween III didn't have him). The little girl (Danielle Harris) gives a very strong performance and so does Pleasence. Halloween 3, 4,5,and 6 were missing Jamie Lee Curtis and this hurt the films in my opinion. Don't get me wrong though, I still liked this movie. I also liked the interesting ending it had... 6/10 OR 3/5