Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers Reviews

July 20, 2017
It felt like Michael was back with the scares. The new story was not what I wanted but I still liked it.
June 18, 2017
Halloween 4 e sínico, ao ignorar a morte de seu principal personagem. Moustapha Akkad e Paul Freeman mostram toda sua avareza ao produzirem uma sequencia que já teve um final. Esse gesto de ignorância resulta em uma cópia barata de si mesmo, um autoplagio escandaloso e desagradável.
½ June 12, 2017
Being the third film to feature Michael Myers in the Halloween franchise, especially after 7 years, it's evident that an effort was actually made in order to create this movie, unlike the case with Halloween II. In attempt to reboot the series, the movie does come off to a rocky start. However, it does eventually adopt its own, unique, story, impressively without trying to totally copy the magical atmosphere of Halloween and Halloween II. In fact, Halloween 4 decides not to completely forget the plot of the originals. Instead, it cleverly expands and reinforces the motives and mythology of Michael Myers.

The plot is decent in a supernatural, if sometimes a little ridiculous, way. You won't see much that's too out there, though. It's not like the film isn't trying to be what it is; which is a slightly supernatural horror film. It's full of daydream sequences that involve the protagonist, Danielle Harris, channeling Michael Myers through nightmares and hallucinations, seemingly increasing as Michael becomes aware of her existence. The movie takes this risk of adding a very strange, supernatural, unheard of, extra conflict to the main conflict itself, especially for a slasher film.

Also, it's pretty blatant that this isn't nearly as good as Halloween. It's definitely comparable to Halloween II, though. The performances in Halloween 4 are pretty great, surprisingly. It has a bit of an intricate, one-track plot, and the characters actually feel real, with emotions and an individual role in the movie, even though it does feel cliché and tacked on at times.

But, on the disappointing side of things, Halloween 4 feels very convenient and illogical many times throughout the movie. Sometimes things will happen that are downright inexplicable, even though the film is a supernatural horror. The writing feels lazy and not accounted for multiple times throughout the film.

Lastly, Halloween 4 doesn't have any common realization, moral, or theme behind its story, other than the same, just very minimized, look into evil itself, in Michael himself, that's been in both of Michael Myers' films before this one. There are moments, though, where another moral or point to the story could've so easily been added, which is disappointing. And, because of this emptiness, sadly, the film is overall forgettable. It's pointless, in fact.

All that Halloween 4 tries to do is just reintroduce the same main conflict and morals from the original films. The only things it does differently is, minimize the film's focus on morals, add a supernatural twist to the conflict, and change around the character roles and events of the story. At heart, Halloween 4 is a rehash and pointless sequel to the original Halloween films.
May 15, 2017
A nice return to the heart of the series. Not all it could have been but I definitely didn't leave disappointed
April 26, 2017
This Movie Turned 25 Years Old In 2013 When 2009 Was 4 Years Old.
March 27, 2017
Not as great as Halloween 1 and 2, but it has an interesting plot and handles it well.
March 3, 2017
It doesn't recapture the magic of the original, but seeing Michael Myers again, albeit with a different actor and a new mask, is still a gleefully terrifying sight indeed. As far as slasher sequels go, this one delivers the goods, with an unexpectedly disturbing ending to boot.
½ February 20, 2017
So much better than part 3!!! This belongs among the classic 80's horror movies, but only because it is both scary and ridiculous at times. Donald Pleasence is a treat to have back as well. If you like slasher flicks, you should like this one. It may not always make sense, but that is part of what made it fun.
½ February 16, 2017
Its not bad, but it just gets annoying and old to see Michael Myers not die and do the same thing he always does. It also gets old seeing Doctor Loomis pursue Michael and save the day at the end. Altohugh Donald Pleasance's performance is still great. But the story in this is a little unexplained. Michael stops pursuing Laurie Strode, waits ten years to break out of confinement (prison or not) and pursues Laurie's daughter Jamie Lloyd (Danielle Harris). Now why don't they ever explain who Jamie's father is and how Laurie had a kid and how she had to let her go into foster care. Maybe to keep her safe from Michael? But we will never know because they don't explain it and the movie isn't very well at explaining her story. This film also isn't as scary as the others and doesn't have suspense and non-predictability that the original certainly had and the second film somewhat had. Also there is no Jamie Lee Curtis. The plot twist is very cool though but it doesn't make the film great like the first and second. But it is well acted, directed, and edited. So for that I'll give it three and a half out of five. It also has a crazy ending that makes viewers want to see the sequel.
February 3, 2017
the suspense is ok, as is the directing, so it makles it bearable, but the story... is idiotic. Every possible wrong turn is taken, dialogues are inane, and almost every single character is dumb and mean, like its been written by bad people or something. I realize 80's movies thought obnoxious was cool but this one is way too heavy in this department.
½ January 16, 2017
Okay I Liked this movie because they returned Michael Myers Which everybody wanted But I don't know if I should say If it was good Film Like The story was good Well Because THEY Returned Michael Myers Thank You Very Much I'll Give It SOMETHING Nice! OH AND HERE'S A COOKIE!
½ November 5, 2016
Donald Pleasence and Danielle Harris were pretty good but the rest is mostly bland.
November 1, 2016
It's fun, and much better than Halloween III, but it could have been better and lacked scares like the first film.
October 31, 2016
An average film, with nothing too original or intriguing to hold onto.
October 30, 2016
While not as suspenseful or original as the first two, this Myers follow-up captures the Haddonfield atmosphere perfectly while adding some to the original story.
½ October 29, 2016
Even with Mikey's return, this film was way over the top in the kill scenes. Many totally unbelievable or way cheesy. The highlight is the ending, it gets a couple of stars by itself.
½ October 23, 2016
A decent attempt at making Michael Myers return. This movie is somewhat a good sequel just there were to many bad things in it for me to say it was a decent sequel. First off the mask was horrible, and the characters were kind've boring. Also in this movie it's almost like Michael can teleport. He gets from the roof to ground level in a minor 3 seconds. Donald Pleasance was Fantastic as his roll as Dr.Loomis. One last comment is how did Michael, and Loomis survive that fire. That fire was more of an explosion.
½ October 20, 2016
The dawning of the Danielle Harris era, this film is very near and dear to me. It was the first Halloween film I saw many years ago. What stuck with me so much was the ending. It's such a bone chilling moment. It has its issues with the story but overall it's great. I may be overly high on it for being sentimental to it, but. I don't care lol. Its one of my favorites!
October 16, 2016
Although it is very similar to the original, Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers is at least a step up from the third entry.
½ October 15, 2016
Good but not great but still a good chapter in the franchise