The Hanging Tree Reviews

• Aug 07, 2018

Doc Joe is one cool customer.

Doc Joe is one cool customer.

• Nov 20, 2016

Interesting western with the gold rush as its background. Gary Cooper gives us a characterful frontier doctor.

• Sep 29, 2016

Doctor and professional gunfighter, Doc Joe Frail making a new transition to a mining community. He would then come across Rune (Ben Piazza) and makes him to be aid and servant with revelations about Docs personal life to follow.

• Sep 26, 2015

Solid western about an old west doctor, Gary Cooper, who sets up office in a wild mining camp. Cooper's character has a mysterious past with a shadow surrounding the death of his wife and him as the prime suspect. There are a few story threads to the film, one with Karl Malden trying to strike it rich, Cooper helping a blind girl, and also a dangerous religious fanatic played by George C. Scott in his film debut. Not a classic, but it's gorgeously filmed and features a strong cast.

• Aug 13, 2015

Good setup but poor ending. A doctor, Dr Frail (played by the legendary Gary Cooper), moves into a gold rush town in Montana in the 1870s. He's a no-nonsense, tough-as-nails type with a few skeletons in his past. Then a stagecoach is robbed nearby and its female occupant becomes a patient... Interesting and intriguing from the word go. Gary Cooper is obviously the hero, but for once he is less than perfect. Good action and a hint of romance. Decent, but not great. The story is often uneven, going on tangents, and the plot not always consistent. The ending is so random and silly it almost ruins the movie. Solid performance from Gary Cooper in the lead role. Good support from Maria Schell, Karl Malden and Ben Piazza. George C Scott appears in his first cinematic role (though he had appeared in TV series and a TV movie before this). Only really worth watching if you're a Gary Cooper fan.

• May 22, 2015

I don't advise you to go through life with your eyes closed. A local doctor and rancher in the mid west has gained his riches and isn't worried about the local miners and gold diggers belief that riches are in the hills surrounding his property. He lets them be and occasionally nurses the wounded back to health from the mines. A young lady is found in the hills badly wounded and widowed. The doc nurses her back to health but refuses to have a personal relationship with her. She begins her own gold hunting and the doctor suddenly starts paying attention to what everyone is doing around him and the widow. "All he said was something about a house burning down..." Delmer Daves, director of An Affair to Remember, Destination Tokyo, Dames, Dark Passage, 3:10 to Yuma, Broken Arrow, and To the Victor, delivers The Hanging Tree. The storyline for this picture is very good and contains a unique blend of western with the struggle of making it in the west without a gun. The acting is very good and the cast includes Gary Cooper, George C Scott, Virginia Gregg, Karl Swenson, Maria Schell, and Karl Malden. "...and she's been blinded..." I came across this film on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and decided to DVR this classic. I found the film very well done and different than I expected. The conclusion was very well written and executed by the director and cast. Overall, this is a classic western that is definitely worth your time. "The lost lady is found." Grade: A-

• Mar 30, 2015

not his best,he looked I'll.

not his best,he looked I'll.

• Nov 02, 2014

141102: One just can't wait to see Malden...get what he deserves in this film. Very enjoyable but a couple morally corrupt villains and early day rioters turn my stomach. Should likely be four stars but I just hate movies which portray the positive side of people. Excuses people, that's all they are, excuses. Take responsibility for your actions. Jeez, I've fallen into a rant. This gun toting doctor movie is well worth watching.

• Oct 30, 2014

Cooper struggles being good with his checkered past, while protecting a Christian immigrant Swiss girl from a motley crew in a remote Montana mining town.

• Oct 20, 2014

a very good western movie with a good story line ,cast, and nice horses.

a very good western movie with a good story line ,cast, and nice horses.