Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters Reviews

November 11, 2016
Oh boy, this did not look good going in, and I was right. This is a strange meshing of modern weaponry and old-time fairy tales. The classic charters of Hansel and Gretel grow up to become bounty hunters of witches and monsters. They are equipped with machine guns, and elaborate gadgets. There is part of me that wants to take it for what it is and enjoy over-the-top explosive action mixed with magic. This could actually work, but the movie does not deliver those kinds of fast-paced thrills until late in the movie. The closing scene is the best and was just a taste of what this movie could have been. Instead, this movie attempts to make too much out of the characters and their back-story. Sometimes with a preposterous concept, the best thing to do is embrace the silliness. Join in on the joke and make a fun-loving spectacle with big action. I want to see the characters break the wall of reality down and make small jokes about the ridiculous things they are doing. Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton both play the part seriously, which is a shame. The same actors could have worked in an approach that is more self-aware. This movie went for all out exaggerated thrills; it just did not go far enough. It lands in an awkward middle ground that is hard to enjoy.
October 25, 2016
Total Badassery and love the humor and visual effects and Pretty Much Everything.??????
½ October 3, 2016
Surprisingly good action / horror film with very likable characters and folklore witch accuracy. Impressive and unexpected goodness.
September 15, 2016
I couldn't take this movie seriously after Jeremy Renner saying, perfectly seriously (spoiler alert) "When I was a kid, a witch made me eat so much candy I got sick." HANSEL HAS DIABETES GUYS. A pointless addition handled so poorly I laughed out loud. There were in fact a multitude of lines during this movie that made me laugh out loud when I clearly was supposed to feel tension or...well, honestly by the end I wasn't sure. Anything set in this era that follows a horror/fairytale story is usually an automatic yes for me. Hell, I sat through Van Helsing and enjoyed it - but the moment the two dimensional main characters stepped on screen, sporting incongruous outfits and uttering lines that sound as if they were written for a poor fanfiction, I clocked out faster than they could shoot up a witch's den - which I might add is an achievement. I mean, every five minutes, the screen was exploding with a shower of terrible CGI or corn-syrup sludge. I love Gemma Arterton, and Jeremy Renner - but they were wasted here. Their cheeseball characters didn't fit in the world set up to surround them. The script was "ye olde" one second and then completely ruined the developing atmosphere with an "OMG Hansel, I hate these witch assholes" line the next. I get the steam-punk vibes must have been what they were going for in costuming, but Hansel and Gretel must have stopped by the local budget store for their guns, because man, were they tacky. In short, don't do this to yourselves. It's not worth the frustration.
August 24, 2016
Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters is a disappointing film. It is about Hansel & Gretel who are bounty hunters that track and kill witches all over the world. Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton give horrible performances. The script is badly written. Tommy Wirkola did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
August 21, 2016
One of the best films I've seen. I literally LOVE this film!
½ August 16, 2016
Strange, but I liked the movie better the second viewing; I gave it a full extra point.
It's a shame about Mina. Giving the witches blues eyes was a brilliant idea. Edward really does grow on you. Cgi was excellent.
½ August 16, 2016
Bad acting, bad writing, bad storytelling make this a really bad movie. The characters range from completely flat to overblown charactures and the story fails on all sorts of levels. Just another bad adaption of a fairytale!
August 14, 2016
This was pretty hilarious. It's cheesy and ridiculous but entertaining too.
August 11, 2016
i liked it it was quirky and a little bit messed up and i thought it a highly under rated movie.
July 31, 2016
Very gruesome but still a good movie!
½ July 25, 2016
What? This movie was Badass. Jeremy Renner as Hansel with a Rifle and Gemma Aerton as Gretel with a Bow N Arrow! I don't get why the Ratings are bad. 15%, Is That All? I rate it higher if i was the tomato meter. I disagree with reviews on this movie because it's nice seeing Renner again and Aerton. I say this is a good movie, A lot of fighting, perfect set-up, people say this ruined the fairy tale, it did! But I think this wasn't bad. not bad bad, It isn't a great movie but could have done a little better.

Score: 8/10
½ July 24, 2016
My word, and here was me thinking this was some form of nursery rhyme or child's story - How things have moved on over the years. I'm just a few minutes in and there's blood being splattered everywhere - I lost count of how many characters died by having their head either shot off, crushed, or decapitated by a shovel. I've never been too familiar with the story of these two but I'm pretty sure this isn't the norm! It starts off all very well with how it should be remembered, two kids are captured in a gingerbread house by a wicked witch, and they eventually escape by pushing her into the oven. That is just the making of this though, as Hansel and Gretel then take it upon themselves to rid their little community of all witches, with the blackest witch of all being their leader, Muriel. This is played by Famke Janssen who plays a similar role as Phoenix in the X-Men films - she just has one of those faces that lends itself to being a psychotic demon. It's a real fantasy thriller that albeit quite short, is a solid entertainer. It has good witches, bad witches, witches, trolls, wild dogs, heroes, and an array of special effects - what more could one want from a Saturday afternoon? I could actually see this being more of a series than a film, kind of like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but given the big Hollywood names as its leads, I suspect nothing like that would ever materialise now. Definitely worth a watch as a one off though, as you'll be gruesomely surprised.
July 20, 2016
I really liked the cheesy, tongue in cheek fun. Wish the sequel would come though.
July 19, 2016
OMG have to make a RTM account just to tell people to ignore the reviews and actually watch the movie, people here were expecting some Oscar performance, intense emotional drama. If you like gore and violence with what I thought was a pretty good story all things considering, give it a watch.
July 16, 2016
A nice alternative idea with some good moments, however the cgi feels lacking and amateurish in some scenes. It could have been a lot better, also after the plot finishes there's a brief action scene before the credits with much better effects and a glamourise style than anything in the main part of the film.
½ July 14, 2016
Really, Really Bad!!
½ July 11, 2016
No. it's not serious about itself.
And that's okay!
This movie was made to be fun and a little ridiculous. It achieves that with campy dialog, gore-overload, and over-the top acting and effects in places. The leading characters use modern quips as the basis of their speech, where everyone else speaks in Ye Olde Times talk. The special effects and the acting are what they need to be to entertain the audience.
It's made by the same studio that made "Eurotrip" so... expect that level of film making. Fun, but if you're hoping for a movie that will meet the standards of Kubrick or Spielberg, you best look elsewhere.
July 8, 2016
An awesome gore fest
½ June 29, 2016
not a bad movie if you don't think logically. that's what I did and it kinda ruined the movie. some people may not know what I mean or talking about. a witch is not a witch by blood but by practice, Gretel would have had no power since she wasn't a practioner of magic. and by that thought the movie was a flop by my point of view.