Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters Reviews

March 16, 2018
A great twist on a classic fairy tale where instead of pushing the witch into an oven they blow her head off with a shotgun, fun mindless violence and action. A perfect movie for action junkies.
March 12, 2018
I don't have any idea why some ppl hate this movie but i think it's awesome, Really. It's so funny, you can tell they really had fun with this retelling and the acting is great. I wish ppl could enjoy this more because it doesn't deserve the score it got.
½ January 29, 2018
I enjoyed Hansel and Gretel witch hunters I would so watch a second movie when and if it's made as long as it has the main character's. Well worth 5 stars in my opinion I even bought the movie and watch it alot very much love it.
½ January 22, 2018
Definitely a fun and enjoyable watch. "Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters" has a really good cast with Jeremy Renner being the best decision in my opinion. The action was really fun and stylish, and the locations was beautiful.

This film is definitely over the top with ok CGI and about a mile away from its source material but by itself as a movie, there is many things in here to find enjoyable.
½ January 5, 2018
Strengths: I appreciated the different take they went with on such a timeless story. Seeing the different interpretations on stories like this are always fun. Jeremy Renner (Hansel) and Gemme Arterton (Gretel) played well off each other and looked like they were having a blast. The action scenes are quite good and the effects are great. Several things looked way better than I expected. There's a lot of gore, which helps it stand out from other adaptations of this story. I also dug the twist on the origin story, where Hansel and Gretel's mother was a witch.

Weaknesses: The writing is rough. The plot is severely lacking and the dialogue is cringe worthy at times. They should've realized how cheesy some of the lines were, and chose to deliver them in a more comedic fashion. Take the cheesy and run with it. Famke Janssen (Muriel) gives an unremarkable performance as the villain. While the action sequences are strong, there aren't enough to stand out. Instead, a lot of time is spent trying to develop a story that just falls flat. It would've been better served to not take itself too seriously and go all in on the wacky premise.

Overall: It's not a bad way to spend an hour and a half. The visuals are good, there are wacky moments and some good old fashioned gore. If you're coming here for a story or strong character development, don't. Instead, enjoy some mindless, harmless fun, which this film does a solid job of delivering.
November 17, 2017
Fable tale of "Hansel and Gretel" turned into a feature film co-written and directed by Tommy Wirkola starring Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton as the title characters as they become adults paid to hunt witches who pose as ordinary human beings when they stumble onto a small village that have a problem of missing children.
½ October 14, 2017
I was waiting in anticipation for this movie for about 3 years and a half year s and watching it worth all the hype in the world, it disappointed me very much. I really disliked this movie, I was bored, I thought it would have more action and more of a story. Jermey Renner and the other girl were trying their best and they were ok, not exceptional of course, but just ok, I wanted more from this movie.
½ October 9, 2017
The performances are fine even though the film suffers from a silly plot and doesn't offer much. C+
September 26, 2017
This movie is stupid....Stupidly good! This is a good bad movie to watch and laugh at.
September 5, 2017
So much better than given credit for. Fun, funny, unique, stylish.... I made the mistake at the time of holding movie critics opinions in any regard and missed the chance of seeing this in the theater. It was only later on Blu Ray I realized what a gem this film was. Unpretentious and irreverent it's entertaining in a way most films seem to miss these days.
September 3, 2017
It went from boring to bad in a sad way when the giant started smashing heads.
½ August 25, 2017
needed the brother grimmer and van helsing. perfect triple bill $8
½ August 21, 2017
A feeble attempt to make witch hunter superheroes who curse like 2013 street.
½ July 19, 2017
This movie is awesome, especially in 3D.
June 30, 2017
Uma fabula maçante! Que mal teve ter acontecido na vida de Tommy Wirkola, para ele profanar a criação dos irmãos Grimm, ha um mal gosto muito grande no ar, misturado com um pouco de burrice e falta de bom senso, colocar esse tipo de armamento bélico e um conto, foi extremamente grosseiro, sem falar na insulina e o dialogo pós-moderno. O roteiro de Wirkola é ridículo e grotesco, gira em torno de bobeira maçante de mentes obtusas, 3D não melhora roteiro nem direção.
June 11, 2017
I think this movie is fantastic! It doesn't take itself too seriously. The actors had fun, and it shows in how crazy the humor and action become as the story goes. I love watching the way the characters interact with each other, and the ending always has me smiling.
½ May 4, 2017
It's wildly uneven, but it is so visually rich and full of pitch-black gags that it does manage to pack a punch.
½ March 29, 2017
This was better than I expected, but....really felt like it was lacking something but I don't know what. I liked the extra gore that the 15 certificate allowed but the swearing and the random nude scene felt really out of place. I enjoyed the effects (the witches looked amazing) but all in all it felt a bit meh, Not bad for some mindless entertainment though.
February 23, 2017
A few years ago Hollywood had been so keen to make these fairy tales into unconventional action movies. Entertaining only to some extent but pretty much that is it...
½ January 7, 2017
As much as the actors are having fun with the material they are given, the extreme lack of substance, story and character that causes this film to become a forgettable, that uses gore as its main source of humor.