House (Hausu) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

April 20, 2018
6.5/10

What the hell.
April 5, 2018
Truly indescribable, i actually dont know how to proceed with a review of this movie. If you like Japanese pop culture or horror movies, or if you want to be truly taken somewhere truly by a movie and have a completely off the wall, out there experience that cant be properly compared to anything the this is for you, adventurous movie watcher who wants to have their mind rearranged. Sam Raimi must have watched this movie at least once, thats all i can say. Wow.
March 26, 2018
What.a.trip. It has to been seen at least once. The entire thing was insanity and I loved every second. Also, the sets, costumes, all of the artistic choices in this movie were very pleasing.
½ March 21, 2018
One of the most unhinged, bizarrely edited films I've ever seen. It's a masterclass in how to take tons of cliches and use a meta style to flip your expectations. It never lets up and never stops being bold in its deconstruction of the tired tropes it mocks. A remarkable piece of psychedelia.
½ February 27, 2018
While watching this movie, I asked myself at least three times, "What am I watching?" This movie is akin to what you might see in a fever dream, so at the very least, it's interesting as hell (literally).
January 14, 2018
Trippiest movie I've seen in a long time.
November 10, 2017
It's like a conventional haunted house film but gradually diving into the more surreal. While Obayashi was writing and directing with a central theme in mind, there's no doubt that the more stunning moments are its visually bizarre sequences. Much of the film achieves through simple effects, yet the scares feel like a real nightmare. If there's one movie worth a double take, hell even worth buying on DVD or Blu-Ray, it's this demented piece of art. Just prepare to not sleep for a couple of days.
November 9, 2017
This is a film that has to be seen to be believed!! One of the most bizarre, fascinating & flatout wacky films I have ever seen!!

The story of a group of Japanese Teens that stay at one of their aunties home that is not what it seems.

Quickly they identify their Aunty is what she seems & the house haunted. The imagery & imagination of this film is hard to put in words. Released in Japan in 1977 but not in the USA/Europe till DVD in 2009 & now become a cult hit!!
October 29, 2017
At times it's funny, yes, but it's just way too psychedelic a flick to really enjoy. There's just way too much going on. It may work for some, but I just grew slightly annoyed by a lot of it.
October 8, 2017
This movie was fantastic Japanese horror/comedy/fantasy film between Amityville Horror and Scooby Doo style. But I don't know why Toho didn't release in Theatre, VHS, and DVD here in USA, because their think wont let us see it, and thanks for The Criterion Collection putting English Subtitles. but I just saw it at TCM (Turner Classic Movies) for Halloween Marathon 2016, I like this movie
½ August 8, 2017
A bad LSD trip made into a visually entertaining movie. Not a very valuable film, but really fun to watch.
½ April 10, 2017
Secara keseluruhan, this is awesome! Saya sangat mengapresiasi fantasi orang Jepang yang sebetulnya dengan sederhana bisa dibilang aneh dan tidak realistis. Jepang ternyata masih memiliki ekplorasi unrealistic weird fantasy yang hadir di film ini tanpa membuat saya ketakutan ataupun kaget karena kisah horrornya yang sebetulnya bisa membuat penonton cukup nyesek dengan ceritanya
Antonius Block
April 1, 2017
Oh my goodness, what at trippy, crazy, cheesy little movie this is. I don't think it has a single scene in it which doesn't have some type of campy, surreal special effect. Early on it seems like part Wes Anderson, part after-school special, part J-pop, part ... I don't know, just 'out there', and certainly unique. It gets weirder and weirder as it goes. If you love the bizarre and the downright silly, movies which don't take themselves too seriously and are out to throw wild images at you, you'll probably love this film. Director Nobuhiko Obayashi has a real flair, and he's not out to make things look super-realistic, he's out to entertain. If you're looking for a ghost story, real drama, or horror, well, this isn't it. You never feel real tension, even as the cute little girls are attacked by mattresses, devoured by a piano, etc etc. For me I suppose I fell more in the latter camp, wishing the film had some balance in creating a film about the supernatural, but you can easily see why it has a bit of a cult attraction to it, and your mileage may vary.
March 14, 2017
The eccentricity and innovation of early German cinema combined with Japan's unique take on the horror genre and storytelling, adding up to a very strange and mesmerizing acid trip of a movie.
February 17, 2017
Unbelievably odd Japanese horror film must be seen to be believed.
February 11, 2017
if you are searching for an odd horror movies with satisfyingly aesthetic graphic in a cute way, you should see this!
January 12, 2017
An eclectic, witty and self-aware fantasy horror with catchy Godiego soundtracks and the naive spirit of a soap opera. Alas, also a forgotten cinematic lesson.
November 25, 2016
Weirdest Japanese Shit.
November 22, 2016
A bizarre, experimental kitschy feast for the eyes. The problem is that there's very little going on beneath the surface.