House (Hausu) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

House (Hausu) Reviews

January 14, 2018
Trippiest movie I've seen in a long time.
November 10, 2017
It's like a conventional haunted house film but gradually diving into the more surreal. While Obayashi was writing and directing with a central theme in mind, there's no doubt that the more stunning moments are its visually bizarre sequences. Much of the film achieves through simple effects, yet the scares feel like a real nightmare. If there's one movie worth a double take, hell even worth buying on DVD or Blu-Ray, it's this demented piece of art. Just prepare to not sleep for a couple of days.
November 9, 2017
This is a film that has to be seen to be believed!! One of the most bizarre, fascinating & flatout wacky films I have ever seen!!

The story of a group of Japanese Teens that stay at one of their aunties home that is not what it seems.

Quickly they identify their Aunty is what she seems & the house haunted. The imagery & imagination of this film is hard to put in words. Released in Japan in 1977 but not in the USA/Europe till DVD in 2009 & now become a cult hit!!
October 29, 2017
At times it's funny, yes, but it's just way too psychedelic a flick to really enjoy. There's just way too much going on. It may work for some, but I just grew slightly annoyed by a lot of it.
October 8, 2017
This movie was fantastic Japanese horror/comedy/fantasy film between Amityville Horror and Scooby Doo style. But I don't know why Toho didn't release in Theatre, VHS, and DVD here in USA, because their think wont let us see it, and thanks for The Criterion Collection putting English Subtitles. but I just saw it at TCM (Turner Classic Movies) for Halloween Marathon 2016, I like this movie
½ August 8, 2017
A bad LSD trip made into a visually entertaining movie. Not a very valuable film, but really fun to watch.
½ April 10, 2017
Secara keseluruhan, this is awesome! Saya sangat mengapresiasi fantasi orang Jepang yang sebetulnya dengan sederhana bisa dibilang aneh dan tidak realistis. Jepang ternyata masih memiliki ekplorasi unrealistic weird fantasy yang hadir di film ini tanpa membuat saya ketakutan ataupun kaget karena kisah horrornya yang sebetulnya bisa membuat penonton cukup nyesek dengan ceritanya
Antonius Block
April 1, 2017
Oh my goodness, what at trippy, crazy, cheesy little movie this is. I don't think it has a single scene in it which doesn't have some type of campy, surreal special effect. Early on it seems like part Wes Anderson, part after-school special, part J-pop, part ... I don't know, just 'out there', and certainly unique. It gets weirder and weirder as it goes. If you love the bizarre and the downright silly, movies which don't take themselves too seriously and are out to throw wild images at you, you'll probably love this film. Director Nobuhiko Obayashi has a real flair, and he's not out to make things look super-realistic, he's out to entertain. If you're looking for a ghost story, real drama, or horror, well, this isn't it. You never feel real tension, even as the cute little girls are attacked by mattresses, devoured by a piano, etc etc. For me I suppose I fell more in the latter camp, wishing the film had some balance in creating a film about the supernatural, but you can easily see why it has a bit of a cult attraction to it, and your mileage may vary.
March 14, 2017
The eccentricity and innovation of early German cinema combined with Japan's unique take on the horror genre and storytelling, adding up to a very strange and mesmerizing acid trip of a movie.
February 17, 2017
Unbelievably odd Japanese horror film must be seen to be believed.
February 11, 2017
if you are searching for an odd horror movies with satisfyingly aesthetic graphic in a cute way, you should see this!
January 12, 2017
An eclectic, witty and self-aware fantasy horror with catchy Godiego soundtracks and the naive spirit of a soap opera. Alas, also a forgotten cinematic lesson.
November 25, 2016
Weirdest Japanese Shit.
November 22, 2016
A bizarre, experimental kitschy feast for the eyes. The problem is that there's very little going on beneath the surface.
October 31, 2016
The best I can do: Yellow Submarine as a horror film.
½ October 31, 2016
WTF?

No, seriously, WTF.

How do I even talk about this one? I've heard people say it was bizarre, but I didn't expect this. I was left kinda speechless from this. I mean, calling this movie weird or strange seems like weak criticism. Like yeah, it's strange, no sh*t.

But I can say this about "House", it's quite out there and manages to surpass your exceptions. But I wish I watched this sooner, because I kinda love this movie. It's both mad and quite beautiful at times. I would say it's more than one movie, it's actually all different tones.

Now picture this: What if Halloween, drama, comedy, Kung fu and supernatural activity were all squash together in one movie, but all the genes try to out-act one another for an hour and half. That's this movie.

And I thought this will be a good Halloween movie and it really is. There's dancing skeletons, blood pouring out of the walls, paranormal entity, and a piano that eats a girl. Yes, that happens. But what's interesting is that director Nobuhiko Obayashi asked his daughter of what she finds scary. So basically, this film was co-written by a 10 year old Japanese girl and it dose sure show, but I mean that in a good way, as this is a look into a child's mind.

I also love the music in this and I like how the movie literally plays the main theme repeatedly, but with different instruments. My favorite one has to be "Sweet Dreams of Days Gone by".

Now for issues I have for the movie are pretty slim, but if I had to pick something that I think could have been better is actually the title of the movie. "House" just doesn't catch your eye or sound interesting as a title. It's the reason why it took me long to watch this one, because before I use to see the poster for this movie when I'm looking through the Criterion list, but just didn't have any interest. For a movie this wacky, it sure lacks creativity in the title.

Overall rating: "House" was pretty fantastic and never had a dull moment. Sadly, it's not for everyone, as I've seen different opinions on this that are both good and bad. But a movie like this I would imagine so.
½ October 26, 2016
This movie is pretty insane, both in terms of content and craftsmanship. You're left thinking "What did I just watch?"
October 16, 2016
This is equal parts an art house film and horror film. The effects are super cheesy and gives the movie a surreal quality to it, its incredibly odd to say the least. I recommend it if you want something a little psychedelic, semi-frightening, and completely silly.
October 10, 2016
This film is part Japanese teen drama, part Evil Dead and part 4 AM Adult Swim and, despite what a bizarre combination that seems, it's genuinely terrifying. It will fuck with your mind.