Hellboy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hellboy Reviews

½ November 18, 2016
What I really enjoyed about Hellboy was the visual style and the effects. There are a lot of creatures in this film, and I thought they did well creating most of them so that they looked legitimately threatening and real. The action sequences were choreographed well, and kept most of the film exciting. The story was where I found this film lacking. I'm all for superhero movies that limit the origins, so the pre-credit sequence was a great way to explain Hellboy and the other monsters without taking up an entire film just for origins. But there was a lot of weird stuff going on and I thought the movie struggled to know how much it needed to spell out for the audience. In some parts they share details that I can't imagine anyone caring about, but in other places they just left us to draw some conclusions that were too much of a stretch. Perhaps the single biggest flaw in this film is that Abe Sapien is written out of the entire second half. Having the variety of characters and powers made the first half exciting and I was looking forward to the addition of Liz so we'd have a team of 3, but Hellboy flies solo through large chunks of the third act. However, the fact that I cared about and enjoyed the characters that much means they did something right. This wasn't the best movie to intro new superheroes, but it was good enough that I'm interested in watching the sequel.
November 12, 2016
Saw this movie today after so long and I have to say that this comic book movie was made ahead of it's time. It more feels like a modern day comic book movie than a early 2000's movie. The tone and atmosphere is like a DCU movie, but better. The comedic one liners and witty humor is like an MCU movie. It even has a portal to space/another dimension and steam punk. The cg is really good for an early 2000's film. The practical effects are amazing. The writing is good, the acting is good. The story keeps you invested in the film despite it's tonal changes. Honestly the only nitpicks I have with this movie is that it has a few plot holes. If they ever make an Amalgam movie, they should let Guillermo Del Toro write and direct it.
½ November 2, 2016
Pretty cool action and adventure for a comic book adaptation!
½ October 22, 2016
A personal favourite of mine. Combining action and humour, the result is a film for the ages.
August 26, 2016
love this movie soooooo much
August 21, 2016
A must see exciting and entertaining action movie from the great Guillermo del Toro!
½ August 19, 2016
A different type of superhero film than the ones we've been getting in the 2010s. Coupled with distinct and creative visuals, Hellboy is a film everyone should be familiar with, even if only to use as a reference.
½ August 16, 2016
When I think of "Marvel Formula" outside of Marvel Studios this film comes to mind.
½ August 6, 2016
A very good adaptation of the graphic novel. Typical end of the world story but the actors do a good job of selling it although the viewer doesn't really feel like it's the end of the world. The acting is pretty good given the content. There is a lot of action and given that it came out in 2004, it was ahead of the curve for comic books. Overall a very good movie.
July 22, 2016
For whatever reason, this sci-fi fantasy from Guillermo del Toro just didn't do it for me. I never found myself invested in the story, the characters are mostly dull, and the script had too many plot conveniences for my liking. Ron Perlman's awesome though, and the film is captured very nicely by Del Toro, with good action scenes.
½ July 14, 2016
Hellboy is directed and written by Guillermo del Toro, and it stars Ron Perlman, Selma Blair, and Rupert Evans in a graphic novel adaptation of Hellboy: Seed of Destruction by Mike Mignola. The movie is about the origins of a demonic creature named Hellboy who takes care of the monsters to save the world. This is one of the earliest films that I've seen, and so with Hellboy II: The Golden Army in my DirecTV list, I figured I'll watch this movie, which is a solid effort, but not as high praise as I thought I was going to give. Ron Perlman absolutely killed it as Hellboy, and I love the make-up effects in this. The special effects looks impressive, but there were some effects that look cartoony. The characters are decent, and while there were some backstories for Hellboy, I wish there were a bit more of it. The villain was kind of there, but I appreciate that it doesn't act like your typical villain. Rupert Evans, while a good actor, his character is kind of bland, and I feel like there's something a bit off about Selma Blair's acting in this. The action is fine, but the humor is pretty good in this. The writing is pretty good, and the direction is also good. Hellboy is a really good movie that didn't necessarily go up there with Marvel films, but it's an enjoyable superhero film in its own right.
July 13, 2016
Hellboy is visually arresting with a great gothic style to it, but the characters aren't memorable, the mythology isn't particularly interesting and the action is underwhelming. It has its moments, the main character is good and the film is well made, but it is never that entertaining or exciting and it is one of del Toro's weakest efforts.
July 11, 2016
It's just a customized version does not have much to do with the comic, to me it seemed more an old monster movie from Universal a superhero, has positive points: the chameleon Ron Perlman looks like Hellboy and remains a glove characterization of good and stubborn demon, his sidekick Abe Sapien is great despite not having more prominence in history and stay aside and Kroenen is a automutilada creature that is charged to people with knives, comics was just a submissive with a gas mask Nazi, but in this film are also negative points: the screenplay is loose and somewhat flawed, the plot is hollow and decadent and the character of the fool agent rookie quantico is unnecessary, it is better to make a Hellboy reboot that is true to the work of Mike Mignola without both personal touch.
½ June 25, 2016
Lots of fun and many great moments, and creature designs. Let down by some really suspect acting. I'm looking at you Selma Blair.
June 21, 2016
Fun superhero movie thanks to its committed actors and Guillermo del Toro's creative vision.
June 18, 2016
2016. Pretty entertaining. Comic book kind of feel.
June 16, 2016
Everybody who disliked this movie is simply wrong.
½ June 11, 2016
This isn't a great film, but Perlman makes for a good Hellboy in a bizarre film.
½ June 9, 2016
A thick, funny, and action-packed opus that surpasses just about any comic book inspired film Marvel or DC has ever made.
April 10, 2016
One of my favorite comic book movie adaptations.