Hellboy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hellboy Reviews

April 13, 2017
love my cult flicks like hellboy
March 20, 2017
A great comic book based film, with a great performance from Perlman. The ending was a little lack-lustre and very 'end-the-movie-quickly-as-we're-coming-up-to-the-2hr-mark'. But other than that it's entertaining and looks good. Out of all the action films and comic based films released over the last few years, the character Hellboy came across more effectively than any of the other hero protagonists as a well rounded individual and personality.
March 13, 2017
Mediocre action flick that uses Ron Perlman's kick-ass performance in the title role as a crutch to disguise it's crippling lameness.
½ March 7, 2017
The makeup and practical visual effects are wonderful, the story is exhilarating, Guillermo del Toro's direction is excellent, and Ron Perlman is perfect.
February 25, 2017
the closest thing we'll ever get to good Lovecraftian movie, eh?
½ February 17, 2017
"What makes a man a man? A friend of mine once wondered. Is it his origins? The way he comes to life? I don't think so. It's the choices he makes. Not how he starts things, but how he decides to end them."
February 15, 2017
Good movie. Very watchable.
February 8, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 23, 2017
A thick, funny, and action-packed opus that surpasses just about any Marvel or DC comic book film.
January 8, 2017
That's what a comic book adaption should be like: not taking itself too seriously, excellent choices of actors (Ron Perlman is the perfect Hellboy), awesome set and production design, great special effects and just a whole lot of fun. The pace is not quite as perfect as in part two, but the package works.
½ December 29, 2016
Es muy entretenida, los personajes son muy interesantes, las criaturas muy buen hechas y raras como siempre el estilo de Guillermo del Toro, Hellboy es un personaje intimidante pero sensible y agradable, eso lo hace tener más relación con nosotros.
December 10, 2016
Hellboy has incredible visuals to combine with Guillermo del Toro's typically assured hand and is a "superhero" movie worth watching if you can get past the admittedly familiar arc.
½ November 18, 2016
What I really enjoyed about Hellboy was the visual style and the effects. There are a lot of creatures in this film, and I thought they did well creating most of them so that they looked legitimately threatening and real. The action sequences were choreographed well, and kept most of the film exciting. The story was where I found this film lacking. I'm all for superhero movies that limit the origins, so the pre-credit sequence was a great way to explain Hellboy and the other monsters without taking up an entire film just for origins. But there was a lot of weird stuff going on and I thought the movie struggled to know how much it needed to spell out for the audience. In some parts they share details that I can't imagine anyone caring about, but in other places they just left us to draw some conclusions that were too much of a stretch. Perhaps the single biggest flaw in this film is that Abe Sapien is written out of the entire second half. Having the variety of characters and powers made the first half exciting and I was looking forward to the addition of Liz so we'd have a team of 3, but Hellboy flies solo through large chunks of the third act. However, the fact that I cared about and enjoyed the characters that much means they did something right. This wasn't the best movie to intro new superheroes, but it was good enough that I'm interested in watching the sequel.
November 12, 2016
Saw this movie today after so long and I have to say that this comic book movie was made ahead of it's time. It more feels like a modern day comic book movie than a early 2000's movie. The tone and atmosphere is like a DCU movie, but better. The comedic one liners and witty humor is like an MCU movie. It even has a portal to space/another dimension and steam punk. The cg is really good for an early 2000's film. The practical effects are amazing. The writing is good, the acting is good. The story keeps you invested in the film despite it's tonal changes. Honestly the only nitpicks I have with this movie is that it has a few plot holes. If they ever make an Amalgam movie, they should let Guillermo Del Toro write and direct it.
½ November 2, 2016
Pretty cool action and adventure for a comic book adaptation!
½ October 22, 2016
A personal favourite of mine. Combining action and humour, the result is a film for the ages.
August 26, 2016
love this movie soooooo much
August 21, 2016
A must see exciting and entertaining action movie from the great Guillermo del Toro!
½ August 19, 2016
A different type of superhero film than the ones we've been getting in the 2010s. Coupled with distinct and creative visuals, Hellboy is a film everyone should be familiar with, even if only to use as a reference.
½ August 16, 2016
When I think of "Marvel Formula" outside of Marvel Studios this film comes to mind.