Henry Fool - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Henry Fool Reviews

March 30, 2016
Watched this for the first time in about fifteen years a few nights ago and I wondered if it would resonate with me now as much as it did then, when my life was a little more... Unsettled.
It's naive, stagy, could use an edit but it's a small unique beautiful film that remains one of my favourites with an eponymous central protagonist that I still feel very connected to.
January 31, 2016
An all time classic. Deals with the timeless struggle of artists vs reality of the working world. But it has a ton of intense sub themes(modern religion, fame, age-inappropriate sexual promiscuity, depression, artistic hedonism, the business of art). The performances are amazing, particularly by the genius actress Parker Posey and the totally unknown lead actor Urbaniak).
½ December 28, 2015
Odd indie picture from the late 90s about a garbage man named Simon who befriends a pretentious writer named Henry Fool that believes he is writing a masterwork that will change the world. He is encouraged by Henry to write and his work quickly gets some local attention, and eventually leads to world fame. It is a weird movie that just constantly stayed within the realm of odd and a little unexpected. I enjoyed it for that reason alone.
November 10, 2015
my fave Hal Hartly pic, so far anyway.
½ October 19, 2015
Hal Hartley's film, an odd and mentally stimulating black comedy that may or may not have a point. In any case, the ride is delectably weird and entertaining.
April 13, 2015
Unique and absorbing.
April 7, 2015
Deals with just about every possible human issue in an original way.
July 6, 2014
Sick, twisted and wrong -- this is a classic bit of Cult Art Film that I will always love. Hal Hartley creates an unforgettable film.
½ November 18, 2013
An unusual independent film with flawlessly differentiated bizarre characters dangerously approaching an existentialist state of mind, Hal Hartley appears in the cinematic media with a feature that refuses to be peculiar. On the contrary, it intentionally filters its target audience once the film has begun with no prior warning.

What's the target audience, you ask? It is incredibly hard to say. I invite you, therefore, to draw a personality forecast.

Simon is a garbageman that has a pretty much depressing and uneventful life, living with his sister and his mother, and vomiting (literally) on top of sluts' asses that seduce him while mocking him because he is nauseated at the sole concept of sex and suffering. These three people put together form a rather emotionally unstable and grim family to live with. One day, a supposedly talentless writer with a dubious and dark past appears, searching for a place to stay. Thanks to bizarre reasons, Simon agrees to shelter him with his family. It won't take so much time for Henry to spoil the family and turn things upside down... even for himself. While being a terrible influence for Simon's mother and Fay Grim, Simon Grim's sister, Henry awakes the "hidden literary and poetic potential" that was sleeping inside Harry for so long. After reading one of Simon's diary thoughts with a horribly constructed grammar, Henry's new goal is now to make something out of Simon's life. Why? Well, you'll be asking yourself what the hell is going on before you even think to ask yourself the motives of these alienated characters. Simon publishes his writings and becomes, indeed, a success; by a particular turn of events, now the tables for Henry and Simon are upside down, each one of them ending in the opposite places they were in the beginning.

What's in the middle of the film? Fragments. Yes. Fragments of democracy criticism, literary conservatism, journalism, family chaos, unstable relationships, confessions and the money-driven mentality of publishers not looking beyond the money rather than new ideas (we have heard the same story about geniuses over and over again, until decades pass and they are finally recognized).

I sincerely say that this was something I had never seen before. The aspects mentioned beforehand, along with the morally thought-prokoving ending (not an open ending really if you analyzed the characters closely) raised the rating close to a full 4-star score. Recommended.

½ September 28, 2013
My introduction to the independent filmmaker Hal Hartley is "Henry Fool." My first observation was that it doesn't look like a feature-length film but one made for television. What stood out next was the actors' abnormal acting, especially of Thomas Jay Ryan as Henry Fool, who is not handsome and his face fits his rather strange movements of his body and neck. Ryan is a joy and a mild frustration to watch. He produces the vision in me of a leper in some film set in medieval England. Hartley does possess his own vision, it is difficult to figure out what he's trying to say, if anything. I don't think the story is heavily layered, he just doesn't reveal too much with his characters. James Urbaniak as Simon Grim is the other major character, his demeanor is very detached, he always has the same expression on his face. It's quite funny at times, but Hartley and his actors never show the desire to get a laugh from the viewer. The very last shot of the film is my favorite; it's probably the one thing that I truly loved not that I didn't like rest of the movie.

Without telling too much, "Henry Fool" is about how a janitor helps a garbage man become a writer.
½ August 23, 2013
I enjoy this film as much as Fay Grim, I will check out more of Hartley's films.
½ April 26, 2013
I loved this movie. Haven't seen it in a while.
November 20, 2012
It just doesn't add up, but it is engaging along the way.
August 19, 2012
The first half of the movie is, admittedly, slow... all of the dramatic action really happens in the second hour. I think the main problem is that the film was a bit too long... but I have to tell you, after watching it a second time (and after watching its sequel, Fay Grim multiple times), this one has grown on me. Henry Fool is a flawed man, and would gladly admit it if you confronted him. I love all of these characters and am praying for a third film... Good work by Hal Hartley creating this world that is allatonce tiny and immense.
April 22, 2012
One of those movies that you start to watch and you probably are not sure why you are still watching more than an hour later. The tale itself is very simple, as are the characters and yet they charm and intrigue. Henry Fool is like some force of nature that inserts itself into the Grim family and shakes up their mundane lives. He is by turns benevolent then malevolent and his motives, though unclear, seem to be hedonistic one minute and generous the next.

If you are new to Hal Hartley you can do no better than this and its sequel Fay Grim followed by his charming monster tale No Such Thing.
April 10, 2012
the sad and engrossing story of young Simon who is abused by family and society and his dedication to writing an epic poem that his friend henry fool insists is a masterpiece.
January 29, 2012
One of the best sleeper movies out!
November 7, 2011
Super good, check it out!
August 13, 2011