Hesher Reviews

• 21h ago

When I was a kid this EXACT copy Hesher guy lived across the street. He taught me all kinds of demented behavior. This movie is an all-timer.

• Sep 04, 2019

one of my all time favorite movies. the child actor devin brochu probably now all grown up...doesnt an outstanding job here playing his character. I just love this film ...I fell in love with TJ and if you have ever survived the loss of family member...or if you are stuck in an environment of zombies....this movie is for you...not for the faint heart...makes you laugh, makes you cringe, makes you cry...so well done. no one disappoints here..

• Jan 29, 2019

This movie, although predictable to me at almost every point, was surprisingly good. Comedy, Drama and Romantic in its own way. Hesher has its own way of turning uncomfortable situations into inspiration/perception.

• Jan 15, 2019

Crass and touching. I highly recommend it.

Crass and touching. I highly recommend it.

• Aug 03, 2018

Strengths: I've made it clear that Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Hesher) is my favorite actor. Again, he delivers a performance that steals the show. Though he's the title character, he's not the protagonist, but you can't look away from him when he's on screen. He works very well with the role despite not having a great look. The acting all-around is typically what works about this movie. Natalie Portman (Nicole) is endearing, Rainn Wilson (Paul Forney) makes you feel for him, and Devin Brochu (TJ Forney) is also strong and given the most to work with. The soundtrack is also quite fitting. Weaknesses: Outside of the acting, not a lot works. Hesher's look is terrible. The hair, scrawny body, and tattoos are looked off. Not in the "strange squatter" way, but in the cheap makeup kind of way. The story doesn't grab you in any intriguing way. The idea that this odd person can help the lives of this family dealing with the loss of the mother is a good one, but most of what happens it flat out uninteresting. When you gaze at the film with the idea that Hesher might be a figment of TJ's imagination, it gets more appealing, but that doesn't line up with much of what happens throughout. Overall: I wanted to like this more. Considering the strong performances of the cast and the concept behind it all, it should've delivered better. Instead, the plot unfolds in a manner that might put you to sleep.

• Jun 01, 2018

I really liked the first half of this movie. It had good pacing. The cinematography was setting an authentic mood. But I feel like the movie kind of fell flat on it's face near the end. Maybe the writers were confused or the execution was not on point. I think all the actors did a great job though. With the exception of JGL. I really enjoyed seeing Natalie Portman again. She's been missing in the latest movie releases. And Rainn Willson was great too. I can understand why some people may have rated this movie low. And I think that is because the characters are all very subdued until an emotional outbreak occurs. But I think that's kinda of the whole idea. All of the main characters are kind of floating along through different stages of grief and depression. The film is very nuanced. If you're not into an emotional drama that makes you think, then go watch avengers. Don't crap on a decent movie that isn't perfect. Maybe I'm biased. I really connected to all of the character's plights. I think it was good though. Just not great. 4 stars. Go watch it.

• Dec 19, 2017

A very unique storyline that's engaging from beginning to end.

A very unique storyline that's engaging from beginning to end.

• Nov 26, 2017

Strange and disturbing. Didn’t like part of the premise.

Strange and disturbing. Didn’t like part of the premise.

• Jun 28, 2017

Great, wacky film! Funny, entertaining and real.

Great, wacky film! Funny, entertaining and real.

• Mar 23, 2017