High Society Reviews

• Jul 18, 2019

A lovely, classic, musicalized version of The Philadelphia Story. Well Did You Evah, this is a swell movie.

• Feb 21, 2019

Despite all of the star power on board here I found this musical to be rather dull and uninspiring. The direction lacks the type of style needed to make something like this soar and Grace Kelly's character isn't exactly the easiest to root for. She's honestly kind of a mess.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best musical movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: True Love!

• Jan 26, 2019

A lovely movie with a fun, bouncy score. The best way to describe it is that it is satisfying to watch with such witty humor and a storyline that wraps itself up in a net bow.

• Jan 29, 2018

Musical remake of Philadelphia story starting Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly with memorable songs "who wants to be a millionaire...." stand out. Also great scenes with Louis Armstrong and his band playing 'The Satchmo' Tracy (kelly) is to be married but gets swept off her feet by her ex (Crosby) and her wedding photographer (Sinatra) Charming, fun and a classic Hollywood musical score.

• Dec 18, 2017

Wonderful cast and great Cole Porter songs. I love this movie. I also love Philadelphia Story, which this movie is based on. Sinatra and Crosby duet is a classic.

• Nov 18, 2017

In the mid-1950's, the major studios started cannibalizing their old screenplays for possible musical comedy material, and MGM was no exception. Since the studio already owned the rights to THE PHILADELPHIA STORY, they hired Cole Porter to write the score and enlisted a heady cast of musical stalwarts to put the show across; the ploy worked, and HIGH SOCIETY became one of the highest-grossing films of the year. The musical highlights included Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly (in her final film before becoming a real-life princess) dueting "True Love" (which became a hit single and was nominated for an Oscar); Crosby with Louis Armstrong and His Orchestra in "Now You Has Jazz," Crosby & Frank Sinatra crooning "Well, Did You Evah?" and Sinatra and Celeste Holm in the comic duet "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?" Colorful, glossy fun from start to finish.

• Sep 20, 2017

This is light, funny, entertaining with excellent cast and even better music. All you would hope for in a 50s jazz musical and more. The Crosby - Louis Armstrong and Crosby - Sinatra duets by themselves are enough reason to watch the film.

• Jul 10, 2017

Pretty harmless and fun musical that pairs well-known singers (Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby) and actors not known for their singing voices (like Grace Kelly). It ramps up when all the leads get drunk at the pre-wedding party. The music isn't all that memorable, although I did like the jazz song Bing sings with Louis Armstrong. It's been a long time since I saw The Philadelphia Story so I didn't know how it was going to turn out. I could make a case that Tracy shouldn't end up with any of the guys. But I didn't have any big problems with how it ended.

• May 21, 2017

A technicolor update of The Philadelphia Story, it doesn't feel as sharp and snappy as the 1940 film but the three main players- Sinatra, Crosby, and the lovely Grace Kelly (in her final film role) have such a good time that it is certainly worth viewing. Louis Armstrong and his band provide the musical numbers including the memorable 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?'.