Hiroshima Mon Amour - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hiroshima Mon Amour Reviews

October 28, 2017
Magnificent and haunting French movie. Stunning soul-examination which at times reaches even subconscious level, tremendous character study - and all this is done in under 90 mins. It has obvious resemblance with his next work "Marienbad" where he goes yet deeper into the mystique of human memory. In this movie a French woman finds herself in a city of disaster, Hiroshima, recounting her own disaster occurred during WW2 which left deep scars in her soul. Her Japanese lover goes with her into the past and tries to help her to reconcile her with her past self. The film is shot in a unique manner as though you witness her memory at work as different memories are triggered by different visions in real life.
October 24, 2017
A trully magnificent work of art, Hiroshima Mon Amour's nostalgic air is carried throughout the film making the viewer ponder about love and the unrealistic sharade we sometimes unwillingly fall into when we pretend to have found love in a stranger.
February 8, 2017
The first 20 minutes is one of the most arresting sequences in cinema. It sets a tempo that the film rarely strays from in examining personal and social tragedy.
December 5, 2016
A difficult film to watch as you see two tragedies unfold. The effects of the A-bomb being dropped on Hiroshima and the relationship between the actress and the architect. The film itself seems open to many interpretations from trendy to relationships. What i have interpreted is there equal footing between personal tragedy and worldwide? In the midst of a worldwide tragedy, does our own suffering hold weight? In a world that is constantly grieving, when can we have our time to grieve personal loss?
October 3, 2016
Poetic movies are always threatened to be laughable and silly. This one is an exception. A rare gem. Truly magnificent work of art and poetry.
½ September 22, 2016
Hiroshima mon amour is another French New Wave movie that is solid, but immensely overrated. It has its merits including the acting and especially the cinematography which is fantastic, but the film is so boring, so pretentious in its direction and approach and featuring characters for whom I did not care about and the conversations that were mostly quite dull.
July 20, 2016
Beautiful Landscapes and poignant poetic dialogues fill the themes of this movie for all romanticists who are eager to watch a good old classic French New Wave film.
May 15, 2016
A genial montagem no filme de estreia de Alain Resnais o ponto alto desse filme sobre traumas e uma mulher assolada por eles.
March 12, 2016
An emotional tale about lost love, shot in a staggering and haunted way. I liked it so much I watched it twice.
January 8, 2016
Fascinating story of love, guilt, remembrance, and the human condition. Emotional pain is confounded against the background of atomic war and the German occupation of France. A truly memorable movie.
December 13, 2015
Hiroshima Mon Amour is a ridiculously handsome film. The actors are good-looking, the sets are intricate and the intimate scenes between the two leads are amazing, some of the best I've ever seen. The snow and dust falling on their skin, but not showing their faces. It was very inventive. As for the story, it's intricate and a little confusing. There are montages of the destruction of Hiroshima at the beginning and flashbacks to the lead actress going mad after her German lover is beaten and the plot isn't all that compelling. The cinematography and the chemistry between the two actors is remarkable, though.
December 6, 2015
Seen it. Don't know what to say about it yet.
October 17, 2015
A classic film of French new wave, this highly stylistic and poetic film will not 'reach' everyone but it is definitely something to watch if you like films that take a different approach to narratives and storytelling. More poem than film, this beautifully shot and edited film has been the source of inspiration for many filmmakers around the world.
½ October 9, 2015
I also had the pleasure of watching Hiroshima mon amour a few nights ago. This film is a lasting impression that my analytic rating system sucks feeling out of films. Hiroshima is a great film but I gave it 3.5 (out of 5)* stars which belies my emotional connection to the film. Nothing was perfect about the picture but people seem to give it between 4 and 5 stars and I get it. Push that aside though because there is a raw, seething, emotion throughout that sucks you in, quickly, and doesn't let go until love walks out on you. The film works just as well as an historical document as it does a love story. Watching it in 2015 acts as a reminder of the lives of Europeans and Japanese people during World War Two forcing you to see beyond the villain that we have been trained to see.
September 4, 2015
Nothing brings people together quite like the tragedy of Hiroshima.

My God, it might just be the greatest love story ever told. What an intense, orgasmic cinematic experience. Forgotten memories are the most haunting aspect of our psyche. Love and pain intertwine so much. No other movie merges the two quite better than this one. Forget about all the political implications. It's marvelous from beginning to end.
September 1, 2015
The burden of social and and personal trauma affects the very breathing of this musical, poetic landmark.
August 17, 2015
This was my first time watching this masterpiece that was an early part of the French new Wave. Gorgeously shot in B&W with an innovative flashback structure. Alain Resnais started the project as a documentary and then decided to make it his first feature. Just a gorgeous film with an interesting story-line. I also liked the score. Highly recommended!
August 6, 2015
Still works like a charm. Love Marguerite Duras' script.
June 5, 2015
Astounding. Poetically a film that smothers the screen with depressingly true imagery, a simple fact of doom and danger surrounded by the ambition of human love and pleasure.