Hiroshima Mon Amour - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hiroshima Mon Amour Reviews

February 8, 2017
The first 20 minutes is one of the most arresting sequences in cinema. It sets a tempo that the film rarely strays from in examining personal and social tragedy.
December 5, 2016
A difficult film to watch as you see two tragedies unfold. The effects of the A-bomb being dropped on Hiroshima and the relationship between the actress and the architect. The film itself seems open to many interpretations from trendy to relationships. What i have interpreted is there equal footing between personal tragedy and worldwide? In the midst of a worldwide tragedy, does our own suffering hold weight? In a world that is constantly grieving, when can we have our time to grieve personal loss?
October 3, 2016
Poetic movies are always threatened to be laughable and silly. This one is an exception. A rare gem. Truly magnificent work of art and poetry.
½ September 22, 2016
Hiroshima mon amour is another French New Wave movie that is solid, but immensely overrated. It has its merits including the acting and especially the cinematography which is fantastic, but the film is so boring, so pretentious in its direction and approach and featuring characters for whom I did not care about and the conversations that were mostly quite dull.
July 20, 2016
Beautiful Landscapes and poignant poetic dialogues fill the themes of this movie for all romanticists who are eager to watch a good old classic French New Wave film.
May 15, 2016
A genial montagem no filme de estreia de Alain Resnais o ponto alto desse filme sobre traumas e uma mulher assolada por eles.
March 12, 2016
An emotional tale about lost love, shot in a staggering and haunted way. I liked it so much I watched it twice.
January 8, 2016
Fascinating story of love, guilt, remembrance, and the human condition. Emotional pain is confounded against the background of atomic war and the German occupation of France. A truly memorable movie.
December 13, 2015
Hiroshima Mon Amour is a ridiculously handsome film. The actors are good-looking, the sets are intricate and the intimate scenes between the two leads are amazing, some of the best I've ever seen. The snow and dust falling on their skin, but not showing their faces. It was very inventive. As for the story, it's intricate and a little confusing. There are montages of the destruction of Hiroshima at the beginning and flashbacks to the lead actress going mad after her German lover is beaten and the plot isn't all that compelling. The cinematography and the chemistry between the two actors is remarkable, though.
December 6, 2015
Seen it. Don't know what to say about it yet.
October 17, 2015
A classic film of French new wave, this highly stylistic and poetic film will not 'reach' everyone but it is definitely something to watch if you like films that take a different approach to narratives and storytelling. More poem than film, this beautifully shot and edited film has been the source of inspiration for many filmmakers around the world.
½ October 9, 2015
I also had the pleasure of watching Hiroshima mon amour a few nights ago. This film is a lasting impression that my analytic rating system sucks feeling out of films. Hiroshima is a great film but I gave it 3.5 (out of 5)* stars which belies my emotional connection to the film. Nothing was perfect about the picture but people seem to give it between 4 and 5 stars and I get it. Push that aside though because there is a raw, seething, emotion throughout that sucks you in, quickly, and doesn't let go until love walks out on you. The film works just as well as an historical document as it does a love story. Watching it in 2015 acts as a reminder of the lives of Europeans and Japanese people during World War Two forcing you to see beyond the villain that we have been trained to see.
September 4, 2015
Nothing brings people together quite like the tragedy of Hiroshima.

My God, it might just be the greatest love story ever told. What an intense, orgasmic cinematic experience. Forgotten memories are the most haunting aspect of our psyche. Love and pain intertwine so much. No other movie merges the two quite better than this one. Forget about all the political implications. It's marvelous from beginning to end.
September 1, 2015
The burden of social and and personal trauma affects the very breathing of this musical, poetic landmark.
August 17, 2015
This was my first time watching this masterpiece that was an early part of the French new Wave. Gorgeously shot in B&W with an innovative flashback structure. Alain Resnais started the project as a documentary and then decided to make it his first feature. Just a gorgeous film with an interesting story-line. I also liked the score. Highly recommended!
August 6, 2015
Still works like a charm. Love Marguerite Duras' script.
June 5, 2015
Astounding. Poetically a film that smothers the screen with depressingly true imagery, a simple fact of doom and danger surrounded by the ambition of human love and pleasure.
½ April 1, 2015
Atmospheric and poetic film about lost love. Despite the film's sumptuous photography and strong performances with strong character development the major flaw for me is I didn't feel anything for the main character.
February 17, 2015
I watched this movie at the Museum of fine arts in Houston TX on February 13th.Valentine day eve. I just wanted to watch some Japanese-related film.

- Hiroshima
I guess one of the theme of this movie is " Atomic Bomb and Hiroshima".At the begging of the movie, Man and women were talking about Hiroshima's devastation after A-bomb, having sex. Why they had to speak about Atomic Bomb during sex?Anyway, we will learn devastation of Hiroshima.

- French woman
This women was from France. She wanted to make some film about A-bomb and Hiroshima. She loved with a Japanese. It was a strange love.She never smiled.She was sad,mad and depressed. Her boy friend was a Nazi and killed. It seemed that she was tortured after the war.she needed to overcome her tragedy.I hope Hiroshima's recovery gave her some hope.

- Japanese man
This person lost his family by A-bomb.I still don't understand why he was able to speak French.This actor was Mr.Eiji Okada. He was one of the legend in Japanese movie industry 1950's. He took her to a Japanese restaurant. They couldn't enjoy cheerful and nice conversation.When they were dating, they were talking about her past relationships with the Nazi offices. But he is still chasing her.Okada's performance was expressive although I can't judge his French skills.

- 1950's Hiroshima. I personally enjoyed Hiroshima in the 1950's. After A-bomb, many people believed that this city was dead.But Hiroshima recovered from A-bomb.People were ver cheerful.They enjoy dating, socializing and eating&drinking. I liked one scene. When the French women was sitting alone. One Japanese man spoke English to her and asking her to go out! Whenever japanese saw caucasians or white people, they instantly believe that the whites are Americans. What a bold guy he was!

- Personally, I put three stars.This was not my favorite.Too much melancholic and sad stories. But many critics believe that this was one of the great movie in New Wave movement of French movie industry. if you have plenty of time, please find it on the internet.