His Girl Friday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

His Girl Friday Reviews

½ September 12, 2017
8.3/10, 9-4-2017.

Original rating: 8-24-2012 (8/10)
August 31, 2017
Everyone is talking over each other, doing four things at once, but it is always leveled; so much is going on and it is still able to funny, romantic and surprisingly easy to follow.
½ August 31, 2017
Fast talking, extremely funny His Girl Friday is decades ahead of its time and yet a perfect example of a time piece. Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell light up the screen with witty ad-libbed dialogue and a distinct presence.
August 15, 2017
Crazy and out there comedy with surprisingly dark undertones.I mean this is about a man who is so desperate to save his dead marriage that he will put other people's lives on the line and manipulate everyone around him, but boy does Cary Grant ever do a great job making this despicable character likable.
½ June 16, 2017
One of the fastest talking screwball comedies that there is, with Howard Hawks directing Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell to tread all over each other's lines and to mutter a few zingers almost under their breath. She plays a star reporter on the paper where he is the editor. They used to be married. Now she has returned from some time away, declaring that she is leaving the paper to marry Ralph Bellamy (who plays the gentle slow-talking patsy, just as he did in The Awful Truth, 1937). Grant wants none of this and tries to entice Russell to work on his latest scoop, an interview with a death row inmate who may or may not be insane but is expected to be hung the next morning. As is typical with Hawks, the press room at the courthouse is a boys' club where chummy camaraderie is highlighted, despite Russell fitting right in and trading wisecracks with the best of them (a delightful gender twist introduced into the original play, The Front Page, by Hawks and his writers). Grant does everything he can to throw cold water on the Bellamy/Russell engagement and Bellamy suffers indignity after indignity, until this winds up being another example of the "comedy of remarriage" genre. You know that Grant and Russell are made for each other and Hawks makes you feel the underlying sentiment beneath the sarcastic barbs flying furiously between the two. Of course, the "plot" (focused on the poor sap in prison) is just an opportunity to create chaos and confusion and to roll out a host of comic character actors who flit in and out while Grant and Russell fall back in love (if they were ever out of it).
April 15, 2017
Walter Burns (Cary Grant) is the editor of The Morning Post. Hildy Johnson (Rosalind Russell) is his star reporter...and his ex-wife. Now she informs that tomorrow she is getting married and that she is quitting the newspaper industry. Burns still carries a torch for her, and would also like her to stay at his newspaper, so he pulls out all the stops in order to prevent her wedding from occurring and to get her back. To complicate matters, Burns is fighting to get the sentence overturned of a man condemned to death, with the sentence due to be carried out tomorrow. It's a race against time on many fronts.

A farce, and not a good one. Largely involves people, and Cary Grant especially, talking/shouting quickly at each other. Gets even worse later in the movie when several people do it simultaneously. Very irritating.

There are one or two good jokes along the way but for the most part the movie is cheap slapstick stuff, and relies on us thinking that talking fast=funny.

Not anywhere near as good as it is made out to be.
½ April 12, 2017
Fast-talking and frantic...all in a good way. Rosalind Russell shines and Cary Grant is in good form as he keeps up with the pace. There are some out loud laghs as the films flyies by faster than you ight hope. A comic treasure.
½ March 17, 2017
Very witty and very entertaining to watch! Very good acting
January 26, 2017
One of my favorite movies of all times, you can watch this movie over and over and still have jokes and bits you didn't notice the last time you viewed it. If you haven't seen it yet, watch it now!
December 30, 2016
"Lo riconoscerai, somiglia a quel tizio che fa del cinema, come si chiama? Ah, si...Ralph Bellamy"
December 3, 2016
The classic gender-twisted version of The Front Page play which was previously filmed in 1931 and remade in 1974 & 1988. Part of The Criterion Collection with the pre-release version of the 1931 film adaption of the play and on Blu-ray. A must watch film... All involved are in great form.
December 2, 2016
I guess the term "screwball" couldn't be more well illustrated than by this laugh-out-loud comedy whose characters shoot their overlapping lines in an insanely frenetic rhythm, with Grant and Russell simply hilarious and displaying an enormous chemistry together.
½ November 5, 2016
Hectic-paced comedy classic. Russell and Grant are fantastic. Dialogue travels at 100 miles a minute! And it manages to take pot-shots at tabloid journalism, corrupt cops and politicians with the romance taking a back seat to the goings-on.
Twice ironical reference is made to real names - Grant describes Russell's fiancÚ Bruce as looking like Ralph Bellamy and later he refers to Archie Leech, of course Grant's real name. All good fun and the miracle is the pace just keeps the original murder of a (black) cop, an attempted suicide and the impending hanging all at bay.
Is this movie almost without any music? I only noticed it at the end. It was as if it would have only been a distraction otherwise. The dialogue took up every second of the soundtrack!
August 4, 2016
This screwball comedy has some very funny scenes, and the dialogue between Grant and Russell is so fast at times, that a second viewing would be necessary to pick up all the mumblings. Although the editing isn't the best and it does get a little hectic towards the end, this movie is classic comedy, with superb chemistry and timing between these two Hollywood stars. 1001
½ July 27, 2016
Fast talking, witty, cold and detached journalists in love with their careers in 1940. Films like this are so important to our future generations because they show that humans have been very much alike for a lot longer than we think. It's easy to lose sight of that in classic literature or theatre compared to modern fast chats online and via text messaging, but when we see a movie, we see this kind of attitude and behavior locked in time, and the film stock no longer matters - there are people who act and think like we do, dealing with the same shit and corruption and paranoia. But Cary Grant is cooler than all of us, he's still someone we'd envy. And women who think they're so unique in 2016 with their career-oriented ambitious attitudes need look no further than Rosalind Russel's Hildy Johnson to realize this is not new. She's the real star, the power of the story, and though she falls into Grant's manipulation, he is still at her mercy, because who wouldn't love a powerhouse of a woman like that?

I'm guilty of criticizing ridiculously speedy dialogue on shows like Gilmore Girls, but I kind of like it here. The layers are astounding, several conversations happening at once; a multidimensional experience, too bad this wasn't shot 3D. How the actors handle it must've involved a great deal of practice. How it looked on paper is confounding - after searching for the screenplay, I was disappointed not to find at least two column, if not three column dialogue -- I'm suspicious of it's legitimacy. It's by far one of the fastest-paced, jampacked wit, chaotic circumstantial movies I've ever seen, and yet Howard Hawks manages to smooth it over and deliver it clean.
July 18, 2016
Prolific Howard Hawks turns The Front Page into a fast-paced Romantic Screwball Comedy. This version especially inserts brand new dialogue into the exposition where we find out that Burns (Grant) and Hildy (Russell) are exes and that Hildy is remarrying a stiff in the insurance business named Bruce (Bellamy). Rather than waiting for the end, the final clincher to prevent Hildy's marriage, Burns manipulates the situation repeatedly to get Bruce delayed by the police. There are major chunks of dialogue from the original play cut and rearranged. Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell are in top form as the bickering former husband and wife and co-workers. The leading pair's charisma and timing makes for lots of laughs and it is quite original, only minimally based on the story structure of The Front Page, but when all is said and done I had to reduce my rating by a half star after a recent re-watch on Hulu.
July 12, 2016
Combining some of the best one-liners in history with a few stellar performances, His Girl Friday is the film to watch for witty dialogue. There's just no other film that compares.
½ July 3, 2016
1 star each for Cary Grant & Rosalind Russell & half for the fast-paced dialogue, but I guess I wasn't too crazy about this movie. The leads are great, the dialogue is pretty good, but I wasn't captured.
½ May 19, 2016
This film is about a woman (played by Rosalind Russell) who goes to tell her ex-husband/ex-boss that she is getting remarried. As the film progresses, her ex (played by Cary Grant) uses every trick in the book to try and get her to stay. Because Grant plays a newspaper editor, and Russell was one of his ace reporters, the whole scheme he plans revolves around getting her to cover one more story. Part of what makes the film work is the fact that the story they are covering is completely compelling on its own. You could make an entire movie centering around just the stuff that they are talking about reporting, so I was invested not just in the 2 leads, but also the subjects of their news. The comedy in this movie is all dialogue based, because the movie doesn't have a lot of action beats, instead they talk about what's going on. The lines are all delivered in the rapid-fire style of a classic screwball comedy, so if you're not paying attention you might miss some of the laughs. There were times in the film when the rate of the dialogue was so fast that it felt downright oppressive. I think that's the draw for some people when it comes to these kind of comedies, and it makes re-watching the film fun because you can catch things you missed the first time around. Most of the time I was enjoying this movie, but it gets slightly illogical in certain places, and I felt like I was getting lost sometimes among all the words that were flying at me. I'd still recommend it, though, and might consider watching it again to hear what I missed.
½ May 13, 2016
"His Girl Friday" is a very funny screwball comedy from 1940 with bullet-speed dialogue, proof that journalism never changes, and a rather unsatisfying conclusion.