Hollywoodland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hollywoodland Reviews

October 24, 2017
Slow paced but definitely intriguing and thought-provoking. Hollywoodland perfectly explores the death of one of Hollywood's beloved Television stars with a stand out performance from Ben Affleck
½ June 20, 2017
Between a 6/19 and 7/10, it's a whodunit, a whydunit, and an excuse for Adrien Brody to mug it up like nobody's business.
June 10, 2017
The best ben affleck performance ever!!!
½ March 23, 2017
I had wanted to watch this since it came out over a decade ago, and I am glad I finally got the chance. Ben Affleck plays real life actor George Reeves who became famous for playing Superman on TV on the 1950's. His untimely death was shrouded in mystery, either he shot himself, or he was murdered. The film looks into the period of his life from getting the Superman role until his death. Adrien Brody and Dian Lane also star with Bob Hoskins taking a supporting role. The film presents different possibilities for what happened, and allows the viewer to decide what they think actually happened. The film is decently directed and Affleck is pretty good in the lead. Worth a watch!
March 20, 2017
It's a watchable film with Affleck's best ever performance in a career of countless duds. However, like a Michael Moore documentary, this film only serves to inform us of what we already know and raises a load of serious questions without reaching any conclusions. Ultimately then this film doesn't stand out amongst other mystery thrillers and will most likely sink from memory.
September 2, 2016
What a sad life and death. It's slow but well acted and written. It's an ok movie.
½ August 13, 2016
Hollywoodland features two strong performances from Ben Affleck and Diane Lane, but that's about all we have here. Adrien Brody was the wrong choice to play the sneaky detective, trying to underplay an accent and bringing a dull sense to the screen. The film was ultimately unsatisfying, overly confusing, and lost me after the first half (which was very well done).
July 31, 2016
Hollywoodland is a fascinating story lost in a bland cinematic retelling. The ambiguity around the mysterious death of the first actor to ever play Superman, George Reeves, makes for an interesting detective mystery; paired with two simultaneously running storylines, one featuring the investigation and media circus and one focusing on Reeves' life leading up to his death, it has all the makings of a stunning piece of filmmaking.

It's a shame that this story is being told through such a bland script. It's a slow-burn that takes its time in revealing details and building upon itself, but maybe it takes too long in doing so. By the time the credits roll, there's no lasting sense of impact that should accompany this story. It's sad to see the talent of Adrien Brody being wasted in such an unfulfilling script: Brody is clearly giving it his all, and acting-wise, he's certainly not bad, but a stronger writer could've elevated his performance, and the film overall, into something much stronger.

The other side of the story, the George Reeves half of the film, is more solid. Ben Affleck's portrayal of Reeves is quite powerful: not only does he bring a sense of warmth to the few scenes in which he actually plays Superman, he shows the more tragic, troubled side of the struggling actor. Diane Lane, who has many powerful scenes of her own, and Bob Hoskins also feature prominently in this half, and are both excellent.

The contrast in quality between the two halves is detrimental to the overall experience, which is a shame because there's a lot of good hidden within Hollywoodland. For a directorial debut from Allen Coulter, it's quite a competently filmed and produced movie, and with a stronger writer behind it, it could've become something truly special. As it stands, it's a mostly unimpressive look at the Golden Age of Hollywood and what comes with becoming a star that'll likely hold your attention for two hours, if nothing else.
½ July 25, 2016
True Hollywood Noir. This one seems to slip between the cracks and wasn't on manys radar, solid film.
June 16, 2016
Interesting mystery/drama about the death of TV's Superman George Reeves.. Great cast.
½ April 7, 2016
Hollywoodland is drab and dismal. If it weren't for the impressive cast, this movie would feel like a student film that was trying a little too hard to be film noir. Ben Affleck's part of the story is interesting, but every time Adrian Brody came on the screen, I wanted to fall asleep. I really hope that George Reeves' life wasn't this miserable.
January 16, 2016
It's a slow, contemplative film that takes a lot of time and energy to watch. The script does not follow the standard format and takes time to get to the reveals. But it has plenty of surprises and twists. Great movie for a lazy Sunday afternoon and a martini. Deep characters. Multiple threads.
½ October 26, 2015
It's amazing how they managed to take a very fascinating mystery and turn it into this movie. The acting felt awful and rigid by most of the actors, the tone of the film was boring and pompous , so many side plots that distracted and detracted from the storyline, and all the characters are entirely unlikeable. This isn't the story about a murder or a suicide - it's a story about a narcissistic private investigator who thinks he can make shit up to get his name in the paper to help distract him from his crappy life.
September 17, 2015
If you know the backstory this is a interesting thriller otherwise you may think it drags in parts.
August 15, 2015
No, it ultimately doesn't hold together but Affleck gives a terrific performance as George Reeves. Unfortunately the whole Bennifer thing and Gigli doomed this film before it was even in the can. It would be a few years before Affleck directed his first film, Gone Baby Gone and it rescued his career.
½ June 1, 2015
A man is constantly told his theory about something is wrong, only to realise that his theory about something is wrong.
½ May 27, 2015
A compelling crime drama/ biopic that shows us three possible theories on how George Reeves (Ben Affleck) might have died that fateful night. Each scenario offers very unique and believable conflict between real-life figures.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A pretty good drama/thriller movie. The story takes place in the 50s about a murder of an actor played by Ben Affleck. A detective (Adrien Brody) gets a job to find out if it really was a murder or suicide. Nice story and well made movie. I enjoyed watching it.
½ November 16, 2014
I don't know why it took me so long to watch this film. To be honest I hadn't even heard of this one. I don't know why because these are the type of movie that I enjoy. And I enjoyed this one, the acting is nothing special not bad but not great either. What I liked is how the director really let the story speak for it self. Yes, it is slow but it does a great job of showing how hollywood was is the 30s, 40s, 50s and 6ps when the studio system was king. Basically the head of the studio was a mob boss, and some abused this power.