The Holy Mountain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Holy Mountain Reviews

½ December 4, 2016
One of my top ten favorites. If you're a fan of creative cinema this is a must see. Absolutely captivating and raw.
October 6, 2016
Bless Alejandro Jodorowsky for being so in touch with the idiosyncrasies of his boundless imagination. For being so candid with his views on political radicalism, militarism, consumerism, sexual exploitation, and religious fanaticism; for so supplely blurring the lines between the beautiful and the grotesque, the dramatic and the ironically comedic. For making "The Holy Mountain," an artistically revolutionary masterpiece pioneering in its surrealism, its ideas, and its cinematic breakthroughs.
Come 1973 and Jodorowsky had become one of the most exciting new filmmakers to pique the interests of the more adventurous of cinephiles. His 1970 classic, "El Topo," warped the insides of the western and metamorphosed it into something philosophical and psychedelic - a game-changer both intellectually and visually, it became a target of ecstatic word-of-mouth on the underground film circuit, made fans out of John Lennon and George Harrison, and turned Jodorowsky into a cult sensation.
But upon "The Holy Mountain's" highly anticipated premiere at the Cannes Film Festival, the hype surrounding Jodorowsky all but dissipated. Cutting twenty minutes from its run time to eliminate as much dialogue as possible, reviews of the movie were mixed and therefore kept Jodorowsky trapped in the same cultish bubble he found himself in after "El Topo's" initial release. Post-Cannes, the film still did decently well - it was an immensely popular midnight movie, playing for sixteen months straight following its 1973 showcasing at the Waverly - but today is "The Holy Mountain" better looked at as a forgotten masterwork, an overlooked provocateur of the celluloid never to be untangled but always mystified and maybe even repulsed by.
The thought of a storyline is laughable - the movie's a rant, an illogical ramble doomed by its nonsensicality. For the sake of brevity and avoiding swimming in paragraphs of indecipherable "plot" description, I'll say that "The Holy Mountain," more or less, is a satire of religious practice, esotericism, and cultural exoticism, finding its many layers through various vignettes that involve several individuals' attempts to find fulfillment or reach some sort of vague sort of enlightenment in their already fitful lives.
But "The Holy Mountain" is not as cerebrally minded as the works of societal criticizer Luis Buñuel, whose movies seem conventional when compared to Jodorowsky's. Whereas Buñuel attacks his figures of interest through cutting dialogue matched by clever imagery, Jodorowsky relies heavily on his photographic techniques, his set design, and his staging - though Godardian narration sometimes guides us in the direction of assorted conclusions, all moments of monologue and dialogue do little to enhance the effect the imagery already has on us.
And there's power in that. As a purist with a small capacity for films that prefer style over substance, phenomenal is the way Jodorowsky's able to so persuasively provoke with his images. What they all mean would require deep analyzation I'm to apathetic to undertake as of now, but his frequent marrying of beauty and violence are confidently mounted and extraordinary to experience. Like Federico Fellini, perhaps the only filmmaker that seems to bear any sort of similarity to him, Jodorowsky is adept at making his flurries of hallucinatory set pieces carry strong scents of meaning, inviting us to dig deeper into their essences instead of letting them get lifted away into the throes of the purgatory that is masturbatory directing.
But "The Holy Mountain" never feels masturbatory because Jodorowsky is so giving in the sharing of his vision. There's wacky humor to be found within his labyrinth of color and crypticness, and getting lost in the film's symbols and allegories aplenty is an enticing notion, not a materialistic thought. Sure the movie eventually loses its momentum - no picture of its byzantine aptitude should have the long running time that it does - but before we begin to feel fatigue are we incapable of forgetting that sense of bracing erraticism that fell beforehand. You'll never see anything like "The Holy Mountain," and I'm sure you'll never want to.
½ August 23, 2016
«I've only seen the 15 first minuts... can't wait to check out the rest!» I said back then.

Years after, I consider this period as the end of tender youth. This thing has changed the game. A monument.
August 8, 2016
This work is one of those rare films that is true art, a true masterpiece by the sheer force of its vision alone. The imagery is simultaneously daring and original where it creates stunning beauty through its offense and raising of the middle finger to conventional cinema. This is a film that will affect your core if you allow it.
August 2, 2016
Seen it a dozen times and it just keeps getting better. New things to be had with every experience
½ May 19, 2016
Misses way more than it hits. I don't like movies that are just a bunch of random shit thrown at the wall and what sticks stick, and what doesn't stick is left there too. There's some cool parts but in general it's just not good. If he had been born later he might have been a pretty cool music video director in the 90s.
½ April 10, 2016
A film of the period, drenched in psychedelic montages and LSD inspired imagery. It's overflowing with ideas and images as painting or sculpture. Jodorowsky is a film artist and paints each frame with intention. Even in less engaging moments, the film is still a beauty. It's bizarre, funny, wicked and often Jaw-Dropping in its originality. A film unlike any other and quite possibly as close as you'll ever get to an acid trip without ever dropping the acid.
April 6, 2016
Like El Topo, Holy Mountain is slow but often poignant. The beginning and ending are both equally stunning, arguably moreso than its predecessor.

However, A little editing in between would've gone a long way this time around. There are so many gems, verbal and visual alike, but I couldn't watch it in one setting. So many great one-liners and scenes are all-but-lost in a smattering of pointless dialogue and scenes, namely between the middle and ending. The explanation of the universal journeyman was especially harrowing.

Half the time it was funny and interesting and half the time it was simply poorly written and truly unnecessary, and strangely, formulaic. How odd for Jodorowsky! The music was further boring and formulaic, and it takes a lot for me to enjoy a movie with a poor soundtrack.

How sad that his Dune production never came to be, that David Lynch and not he, who cared so much more deeply about the project, eventually made the movie. Jodorowsky influenced so many great artistic talents in the process. It's truly horrible that he never got to see his own great masterpiece come to life.
½ February 6, 2016
Weird object of the '70 by legendary mexican director Alejandro Jodorowsky. It has aged a little but no wonder he now works in comics: the sets are stunning!
January 4, 2016
The Holy Mountain is a strange visual invention, brimming with spectacular images, spiritual distortions, and a progression of scenes so bizarre and surreal that could only be conjured by the most unbalanced of minds.
December 31, 2015
Albeit considerably crammed full of mythology sufficient for a sequel or two, Jodorowsky's pseudo-sexual delusion comes to full bloom in this ballad of the irreverent.
December 1, 2015
Uma das películas mais impressionantes de todo o cinema, muito mais que um filme, muito mais que uma história e muito mais que um roteiro. Alejandro Jodorowsky nos proporciona uma verdadeira experiência de vida.
December 1, 2015
This psychedelic, LSD-induced masterpiece is not only visually ambitious, with an impeccable cinematography and editing, but also incredibly imaginative as it makes use of archetypes and symbolism in a brilliant social commentary, and it is wonderful how the fantastic score helps create the perfect atmosphere in every scene.
November 23, 2015
Is Holy Mountain a good movie?

It's tough to say. It is definitely a movie worth watching, however, I don't think somebody walks away from the viewing without any feeling other than "Huh" and "Man, people do some weird shit for religious purposes."

Alejandro Jodorowsky's movie, bankrolled by members and management of The Beatles that was later distributed in 2007 on DVD, is a provocative mix of Art House & Fantasy. I don't pretend to be a master of either nomination and I'm even more reluctant to offer a recommendation for all types of filmgoer to indulge in this film. This film is intense, weird and meant to discomfort the lay pastoral public.

Technically, each frame is mesmorizing. The colors are brillant and all of the actors' blocking flawless. Barring the obvious religious symbolism amongst the characters, the imagery is more like an exercise in the world of Salvidor Dali than a linear parable for one to decipher and understand.

I think the exploratory filmgoer would enjoy a one time viewing of this film away from overintellectualization and interpretation. This film is meant to be experienced and not understood

To me this film comes from a similar state of mind that I imagine Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" was composed and I strongly feel that much like the throngs of those who attended the first couple of Stravinsky's recitals, you will either stay until the end in shock or protest the film on the streets.
October 25, 2015
The Alchemist: "We began in a fairytale and we came to life, but is this life reality? No. It is a film. We are images, dreams, photographs. We must not stay here. Prisoners! We shall break the illusion. This is magic! Goodbye to the Holy Mountain. Real life awaits us".

The story is about a Christlike figure wanders through bizarre, grotesque scenarios filled with religious and sacrilegious imagery. He meets a mystical guide who introduces him to seven wealthy and powerful individuals, each representing a planet in the solar system. These seven, along with the protagonist, the guide and the guide's assistant, divest themselves of their worldly goods and form a group of nine who will seek out the Holy Mountain, in order to displace the gods who live there and become immortal.

The Holy Mountain is one of those movies that not everyone is going to like, as through out the years the movie has been a mix bag for a lot of people. Many called the movie "A pretentious arty film, with no plot and nothing to gaps on to". If you don't like this movie then that's fine, I mean everyone has different taste in movies and not everyone can like the same thing as other people because that will be quite dull. But in my personal opinion, I love The Holy Mountain and I would actually rank it up as one of the best movie I've seen in years.

Alejandro Jodorowsky (The director of the movie) is what a call a "spiritual director", and what I mean is that Alejandro is a very spiritual person and I'm not such a spiritual person myself but I do admire his work. Alejandro Jodorowsky work of art is so open and so transparent that it makes his movies truly unique to watch, and that's why I think The Holy Mountain is a great way to start watching Alejandro films so you can get use to he's style of film making. Everything Alejandro Jodorowsky puts into his art as a personal sense of purpose in them and the ideas he's got isn't difficult to make out in each scene of the movie. The Holy Mountain is a work of art and Alejandro Jodorowsky directing is freaking superb.

What I love about The Holy Mountain is how every single scene in this film is so true on reality and how detailed the movie is, and all of that is shown by Alejandro artistic look on life. The movie is absolutely absurd and what I mean is without spoiling anything; these a scene where a women is sitting on this super tall toilet and I'm not going to break it down like most people have by saying, "The toilet is suppose to represent her as an upper class citizen to everyone", no, what the movie is trying to get across (In my opinion) is how absurd it is and to make you think twice about the things we take for granted, I mean just look at everything that's still current in present day life, back in the sixties, seventies and eighties are still present today and all the things we do are suppose to me you think "Wow, that's retarded", and the point of the movie is to look at all the things that have become normality makes you realize it's absurd.

These a lot that you can interpret in terms of statements that's in the movie like politics, religion and social life, and the movie says so much about every issue and it's so true and timeless. Every single second of the movie is making a statement and the movie has some much to say that it doesn't waste it's time doing so.

The soundtrack in this movie is one of the best soundtracks I've ever listened to. Alejandro Jordorowsky, Don Cherry, Ron Frangipane and Andrew Arnold were the composers and I thought they did a magnificent job. The music in the movie really dose help on what type of emotion your suppose to be getting from the scene. Once you watch it a few times and you understand everything that's going to happen in the scene and you get the music in your head at the same time really adds to the experience, well it did for me.

Now for the problems: I have none.

Overall The Holy Mountain is a fantastic movie that really connected with me as a viewer. The movie never sloppily pretends to be doing anything different; all of it is completely self-ware of itself. The movie isn't for everyone so if you didn't like this movie then that's totally fine, but I freaking love this movie.
½ October 6, 2015
Marilyn Mansonin kommentti, "The best film-maker ever". En tiedä onko paras mutta ainakin omaperäisin/omituisin elokuvaohjaaja.
September 27, 2015
Seriously tripped-out weird shit.
August 31, 2015
Visually striking with strong message of enlightenment/ fulfillment beyond money.
August 11, 2015
Psychedelic, profane, gorgeous and grotesque. Its a journey.
July 27, 2015
This is nonplusultra. The best film I ever seen, sorry Mr. Hitchcock. It has critics, screwed up ideas and, the best of all: the best twist ending, which is none!