The Holy Mountain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Holy Mountain Reviews

September 6, 2017
Absolutely one of the most over-the-top bizarro movies that pulls no punches yet maintains a sort of coherent story. One of my all-time favorites!
½ August 20, 2017
This is definitely the Most demented, depraved, and disgusting movie I have seen!
I really question the mental stability of the writer and director.
August 11, 2017
The follow-up after El Topo is just as weird and just as heavy on symbolism. Alejandro Jodorowsky is the shaman he portrays in the movie. His practice in affecting the psychology of humans in their quest for the enlightenment or purification of one's soul is evident throughout the movie. In addition to altering these characters' senses, the movie's shocking yet meaningful imagery and social commentary is done to awaken the audience's spiritual imagery. Whether they feel it the moment they move out of their seat or a few weeks later, the quest for that holy mountain is a conquest that is taken at a point in the continuing life.
August 7, 2017
Psychedelic, profane, gorgeous and grotesque. Its a journey.
April 30, 2017
This is my kind of film.
½ January 18, 2017
Surreal, visually outstanding and full of symbolism and satire, The Holy Mountain trascends time and positions itself as probable Jodorowsky's most visceral and ambitious work. Brilliant.
½ December 4, 2016
One of my top ten favorites. If you're a fan of creative cinema this is a must see. Absolutely captivating and raw.
October 6, 2016
Bless Alejandro Jodorowsky for being so in touch with the idiosyncrasies of his boundless imagination. For being so candid with his views on political radicalism, militarism, consumerism, sexual exploitation, and religious fanaticism; for so supplely blurring the lines between the beautiful and the grotesque, the dramatic and the ironically comedic. For making "The Holy Mountain," an artistically revolutionary masterpiece pioneering in its surrealism, its ideas, and its cinematic breakthroughs.
Come 1973 and Jodorowsky had become one of the most exciting new filmmakers to pique the interests of the more adventurous of cinephiles. His 1970 classic, "El Topo," warped the insides of the western and metamorphosed it into something philosophical and psychedelic - a game-changer both intellectually and visually, it became a target of ecstatic word-of-mouth on the underground film circuit, made fans out of John Lennon and George Harrison, and turned Jodorowsky into a cult sensation.
But upon "The Holy Mountain's" highly anticipated premiere at the Cannes Film Festival, the hype surrounding Jodorowsky all but dissipated. Cutting twenty minutes from its run time to eliminate as much dialogue as possible, reviews of the movie were mixed and therefore kept Jodorowsky trapped in the same cultish bubble he found himself in after "El Topo's" initial release. Post-Cannes, the film still did decently well - it was an immensely popular midnight movie, playing for sixteen months straight following its 1973 showcasing at the Waverly - but today is "The Holy Mountain" better looked at as a forgotten masterwork, an overlooked provocateur of the celluloid never to be untangled but always mystified and maybe even repulsed by.
The thought of a storyline is laughable - the movie's a rant, an illogical ramble doomed by its nonsensicality. For the sake of brevity and avoiding swimming in paragraphs of indecipherable "plot" description, I'll say that "The Holy Mountain," more or less, is a satire of religious practice, esotericism, and cultural exoticism, finding its many layers through various vignettes that involve several individuals' attempts to find fulfillment or reach some sort of vague sort of enlightenment in their already fitful lives.
But "The Holy Mountain" is not as cerebrally minded as the works of societal criticizer Luis Buñuel, whose movies seem conventional when compared to Jodorowsky's. Whereas Buñuel attacks his figures of interest through cutting dialogue matched by clever imagery, Jodorowsky relies heavily on his photographic techniques, his set design, and his staging - though Godardian narration sometimes guides us in the direction of assorted conclusions, all moments of monologue and dialogue do little to enhance the effect the imagery already has on us.
And there's power in that. As a purist with a small capacity for films that prefer style over substance, phenomenal is the way Jodorowsky's able to so persuasively provoke with his images. What they all mean would require deep analyzation I'm to apathetic to undertake as of now, but his frequent marrying of beauty and violence are confidently mounted and extraordinary to experience. Like Federico Fellini, perhaps the only filmmaker that seems to bear any sort of similarity to him, Jodorowsky is adept at making his flurries of hallucinatory set pieces carry strong scents of meaning, inviting us to dig deeper into their essences instead of letting them get lifted away into the throes of the purgatory that is masturbatory directing.
But "The Holy Mountain" never feels masturbatory because Jodorowsky is so giving in the sharing of his vision. There's wacky humor to be found within his labyrinth of color and crypticness, and getting lost in the film's symbols and allegories aplenty is an enticing notion, not a materialistic thought. Sure the movie eventually loses its momentum - no picture of its byzantine aptitude should have the long running time that it does - but before we begin to feel fatigue are we incapable of forgetting that sense of bracing erraticism that fell beforehand. You'll never see anything like "The Holy Mountain," and I'm sure you'll never want to.
½ August 23, 2016
«I've only seen the 15 first minuts... can't wait to check out the rest!» I said back then.

Years after, I consider this period as the end of tender youth. This thing has changed the game. A monument.
August 8, 2016
This work is one of those rare films that is true art, a true masterpiece by the sheer force of its vision alone. The imagery is simultaneously daring and original where it creates stunning beauty through its offense and raising of the middle finger to conventional cinema. This is a film that will affect your core if you allow it.
August 2, 2016
Seen it a dozen times and it just keeps getting better. New things to be had with every experience
½ May 19, 2016
Misses way more than it hits. I don't like movies that are just a bunch of random shit thrown at the wall and what sticks stick, and what doesn't stick is left there too. There's some cool parts but in general it's just not good. If he had been born later he might have been a pretty cool music video director in the 90s.
½ April 10, 2016
A film of the period, drenched in psychedelic montages and LSD inspired imagery. It's overflowing with ideas and images as painting or sculpture. Jodorowsky is a film artist and paints each frame with intention. Even in less engaging moments, the film is still a beauty. It's bizarre, funny, wicked and often Jaw-Dropping in its originality. A film unlike any other and quite possibly as close as you'll ever get to an acid trip without ever dropping the acid.
April 6, 2016
Like El Topo, Holy Mountain is slow but often poignant. The beginning and ending are both equally stunning, arguably moreso than its predecessor.

However, A little editing in between would've gone a long way this time around. There are so many gems, verbal and visual alike, but I couldn't watch it in one setting. So many great one-liners and scenes are all-but-lost in a smattering of pointless dialogue and scenes, namely between the middle and ending. The explanation of the universal journeyman was especially harrowing.

Half the time it was funny and interesting and half the time it was simply poorly written and truly unnecessary, and strangely, formulaic. How odd for Jodorowsky! The music was further boring and formulaic, and it takes a lot for me to enjoy a movie with a poor soundtrack.

How sad that his Dune production never came to be, that David Lynch and not he, who cared so much more deeply about the project, eventually made the movie. Jodorowsky influenced so many great artistic talents in the process. It's truly horrible that he never got to see his own great masterpiece come to life.
½ February 6, 2016
Weird object of the '70 by legendary mexican director Alejandro Jodorowsky. It has aged a little but no wonder he now works in comics: the sets are stunning!
January 4, 2016
The Holy Mountain is a strange visual invention, brimming with spectacular images, spiritual distortions, and a progression of scenes so bizarre and surreal that could only be conjured by the most unbalanced of minds.
December 31, 2015
Albeit considerably crammed full of mythology sufficient for a sequel or two, Jodorowsky's pseudo-sexual delusion comes to full bloom in this ballad of the irreverent.
December 1, 2015
Uma das películas mais impressionantes de todo o cinema, muito mais que um filme, muito mais que uma história e muito mais que um roteiro. Alejandro Jodorowsky nos proporciona uma verdadeira experiência de vida.
December 1, 2015
This psychedelic, LSD-induced masterpiece is not only visually ambitious, with an impeccable cinematography and editing, but also incredibly imaginative as it makes use of archetypes and symbolism in a brilliant social commentary, and it is wonderful how the fantastic score helps create the perfect atmosphere in every scene.
November 23, 2015
Is Holy Mountain a good movie?

It's tough to say. It is definitely a movie worth watching, however, I don't think somebody walks away from the viewing without any feeling other than "Huh" and "Man, people do some weird shit for religious purposes."

Alejandro Jodorowsky's movie, bankrolled by members and management of The Beatles that was later distributed in 2007 on DVD, is a provocative mix of Art House & Fantasy. I don't pretend to be a master of either nomination and I'm even more reluctant to offer a recommendation for all types of filmgoer to indulge in this film. This film is intense, weird and meant to discomfort the lay pastoral public.

Technically, each frame is mesmorizing. The colors are brillant and all of the actors' blocking flawless. Barring the obvious religious symbolism amongst the characters, the imagery is more like an exercise in the world of Salvidor Dali than a linear parable for one to decipher and understand.

I think the exploratory filmgoer would enjoy a one time viewing of this film away from overintellectualization and interpretation. This film is meant to be experienced and not understood

To me this film comes from a similar state of mind that I imagine Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" was composed and I strongly feel that much like the throngs of those who attended the first couple of Stravinsky's recitals, you will either stay until the end in shock or protest the film on the streets.