Honeysuckle Rose - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Honeysuckle Rose Reviews

October 11, 2016
this pic served as my intro to willie nelson & this is his first starring role
February 11, 2014
Like a good country song, "Honeysuckle Rose" rolls out all the familiar cliches making for a predictable yet comfortable film that nevertheless doesn't offer up a single surprise along the way. It deals with drinking, music and infidelity and features the acting debut of country superstar Willie Nelson.

He gives a laid-back, likable and natural performance, mostly because he's playing a thinly veiled variation on himself, so it's kind of a stretch to call what he does here "acting". The film features some of the best music he's recorded as a singer, and the songs are easily the best thing about this easy-going picture. In fact, there are times during this movie's second half where the paper-thin plot almost gets in the way of the enjoyable concert footage.

The story is just a vehicle to drive the picture to the next musical number, and all of the conflicts along the way are wrapped up in a tidy, convenient manner in the end. Nelson's co-star Dyan Cannon has some good moments here as his long-suffering wife, but young Amy Irving is terribly miscast as his love interest. She was seemingly cast solely on the basis of her looks. She has a nice singing voice but her performance consists mostly of staring at Willie adoringly in a manner that he mostly ignores until the end when she's completely forgotten about in favor of a happy ending.

The music is the best (and some would argue, the only) reason to see "Honeysuckle Rose", a routine but slightly entertaining country song come to life. It's Willie's show all the way.
½ April 4, 2011
This sounds like a terrible idea, but it ended up being real good. It comes off as a surprisingly honest look at life on the road, despite some over the top comedy bits. Slim Pickens is great as always.
July 29, 2010
Plot: For 20 years Buck Bonham's been singing to the country. But he never figured he'd be living his own love songs.

This is a good movie with great music. Willie Nelson is the man!!! My favorite part is when Buck and Garland walk into a saloon drunk. Two deputies are eating lunch and one says "I hope neither one of you is driving". Buck and Garland both point at each other and say, "He is!".
September 12, 2008
I am a HUGE Willie Nelson fan
August 1, 2008
Whoa, I've never seen Willie like this before..
June 13, 2008
A sensitive, wholly unique ride.
June 7, 2008
Willie is a legend in his own time. He has thoses bedroom eyes. But one thing I love about him the most he looks alot like my dad. He is soft with his words and gentle with his heart.
September 27, 2007
A great film and acting from Shotgun Willie. Great songs too
August 28, 2007
Ya Got To Love Willie lol
August 12, 2007
Wille and Dyan. Very entertaining.
July 5, 2007
really not interested
June 2, 2007
EXCELLENT.........5 STAR...
May 21, 2007
sounds pretty intense...
May 13, 2007
I like Willie Nelson, who doesn't?
May 12, 2007
Willie Nelson, Dyan Cannon, Amy Irving & Slim Pickens star in the story of road life with country music star, Buck Bonham. Fun movie with a great soundtrack.
May 10, 2007
May 7, 2007
Good Movie( Loved it)
May 1, 2007
Willie Nelson is the star, when did he ever let ya down? One of my top ten favorite movies of all time.