The Hunt for Red October - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunt for Red October Reviews

½ August 2, 2016
not the best sub movie but a good one.
August 2, 2016
Sean Connery plays a Russian, and Alec Baldwin plays an intelligence agent in a movie that actually implies some government officials are capable of thought. The movie is the only one of the Jack Ryan movies that I feel really captures the intellect over the action aspect of the character.
July 23, 2016
John McTiernan's best film.
July 18, 2016
Even if I couldn't relate to it at all, it's still probably the best Tom Clancy adaptation out there.
½ June 15, 2016
Credit goes to Tom Clancy for the decent story. The filmmakers did a good job making what I expect would have been a difficult film to make what with all the submarines an that. Not quite as good as the hype led me to believe but still quite a memorable film
½ May 27, 2016
Anchored by its sturdy cast, "The Hunt For Red October" delivers as a taut, smart and finely crafted Navy thriller.
½ May 26, 2016
Slowly paced but builds quite a bit of tension and intrigue.
May 8, 2016
Great submarine thriller powered by an excellent cast.
½ May 3, 2016
The Hunt for Red October (1990) ??? 1/2
Intriguing, near-classic. Soviet Union submarine captain heads for America but not for war purposes. Only liabilities: occasional confusing moments, murkily photographed underwater sequences; otherwise a must-see. The first and best of the "Jack Ryan" series by Tom Clancy. Sound Effects Editing won an Oscar. Followed by PATRIOT GAMES, CLEAR AND PRESIDENT'S DANGER, and THE SUM OF ALL FEARS.
March 7, 2016
One of my Favourites films.
February 24, 2016
Amazing film, currently my fave from McTiernan's directed films.

Great performances from Connery, Baldwin, and Neill. JEJ does a pretty good job too.
½ January 13, 2016
I am probably in the minority here but I was underwhelmed by this film. I'd heard a lot of good things but it didn't hit the mark for me. For one, who in their right mind thought no-one would notice Connery's 'Russian' accent, or lack there of?

I've not read the book so I cannot pass any comment or comparison on that. However I wish there was a bit more action and I would liked a bit more depth (no pun intended!). It would have been good to have some more character development from Ryan (Alec Baldwin) and Ramius (Sean Connery). The film definitely has it's moments and has plenty of suspense but all in all it felt like a bit of an anti-climax to me.
January 7, 2016
One of my all time favorites. Alec Baldwin was the first actor I saw to bring Jack Ryan to life and he brings an intensity that was lost upon the other actors that have succeeded him. Him and Connery take point of a solid ensemble cast with efficient directing by McTiernan. Who knew he could still pump out a film like this right after giving us Predator and Die Hard.
January 5, 2016
My kind of movie. War. Action. Amazing acting. A twisting plot. Yes.
December 12, 2015
Smart and elegant, The Hunt for Red October delivers an exciting thriller that has plenty of exhilarating action, great acting and lots of wit.
November 19, 2015
First time I've seen this film I was like 5 maybe? I did not have a clue what was going on and I was not interested in it because it wasn't colourful cartoons. Yet 25 years after that I'm happy I finally watched it and it was great... Sean Conery what a charisma ...
November 8, 2015
Considering the cast I was expecting a little more
September 22, 2015
While Sean Connery couldn't break the Scottish accent to save his life, he still remains the person I think of when I hear Commander Marko Ramius. Alec Baldwin as Jack Ryan was somewhat overshadowed, but he was still a strong element of the film. The plot was tense, it had you think, and while it strayed a bit from the source material, it was a good time. And also, while I give the late James Horner respect for his scores in Patriot Games & Clear and Present Danger, Basil Poledouris had the music done beautifully. I do recommend reading the book first, otherwise you'll be stuck hearing Connery's voice for the Ramius quotes. Learned from experience.
September 21, 2015
This film captures the drama of the Cold War superbly. Basil Poledouris captures your imagination immediately with the Russian Cold War choir music. Sean Connery's performance as Ramius is among film's most iconic, and makes a good movie great. The film suffers from characteristic 1990s swearing saturation, and could have dispensed with half the harsh language and lost none of its edge.
August 25, 2015
John McTiernan's masterful, intelligent cold war techno-thriller which is based upon his best-selling novel of the same name. It takes place in the year 1984 and concerns Captain Marko Ramius, a legendary Russian sub commander, played to perfection by screen legend Sir Sean Connery, in one of his finest performances. Ramius is planning to defect to the Untied States during the maiden voyage of the Red October, a new supersecret technologically superior Soviet nuclear submarine, which has a unique revolutionary propulsion system, a mageto-hydrodynamic drive or caterpillar, that enable the Red October to run virtually silent, making it undetectable to sonar which allows the sub to approach by stealth and shower its targets with multiple independent warheads with little or no warning before impact. The Russian's have sent their entire naval and air commands to find the Red October and destroy her before it can reach America, they even have told the American government that Captain Ramius has gone insane and is planning to attack the United States with his nuclear missiles, but a lone CIA analyst named Jack Ryan, played by a young Alec Baldwin, in a terrific performance of understated elegance. Ryan believes that Ramius is really trying to defect, it now has become a race against time for Ryan for he has been aloud only three days by his superiors to prove his theory, he must go out to the Atlantic and make contact was Ramius and find out what his true intensions really are, before the United States is force to join the hunt for Red October with the Russians and sunk her. An extraordinary supporting cast all deliver superb performances they include Scott Glenn, James Earl Jones, Sam Neill, Joss Ackland, Richard Jordan, Peter Firth, Courney B. Vance, Stellan Skarsgard, Tim Curry, and Fred Dalton Thompson. But it's Connery's commanding performance that totally dominates this fine thriller. The dialogue from a brilliant screenplay by Larry Ferguson & Donald Stewart makes the events of the story seem plausible, the cinematography by Jan de Bont is truly stunning, there is a striking musical score by Basil Poledoruris, and the production design by Terence Marsh is phenomenal, "The Hunt for Red October" is an engrossing 90s classic that is simply one of the best submarine thrillers ever filmed. Highly Recommended.