The Hunt for Red October - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunt for Red October Reviews

April 23, 2018
Although the Cold War is over, this movie still holds up if you can redirect your thinking to any adversary. But it perfectly embodies what our fears entailed during this period and grips you with its action and story telling. This movie is one of the greatest political thrillers of all time, and the acting by Connery, Neill and Baldwin is tremendous.
½ April 11, 2018
handsomely directed with a brilliant, perceptive dual narrative that plays each other magnificently. even when not on screen together, connery and baldwin illustrate acute understanding of each other's motives.
½ February 25, 2018
It's attractively suspenseful throughout and timely for its cold war setting, but Sean Connery and Alec Baldwin surprisingly don't give their best performances here.
February 11, 2018
Enjoyable submarine/war movie. Crimson Tide is better, but this is very enjoyable, once you accept the Russian with the Scottish brogue !
½ January 26, 2018
A nigh-perfect film, and by far the greatest submarine movie that I have ever seen. Oh, and it is also the absolute best entry in the Jack Ryan film series.
½ January 6, 2018
The film is quite unique and suspenseful at times. It also does have a good cast and Sean Connery gives a strong performance. Overall a good man hunt movie.
December 26, 2017
By far one of my favorite movies. The facial expression of Sean Connery's face is enough to watch this one. I know it's different from the book, but with the expected slight modifications to fit a movie audience, this is great suspense and action. I watch this one again often.
½ December 24, 2017
Satisfyingly tense with little to show in flair and style, replaced by sincerity and sophistication. This, Crimson Tide, and Das Boot make for a de facto trilogy of grandiose, underwater suspense.
December 17, 2017
Great movie, better book.
October 15, 2017
its hard to believe that sean connery is russian, but its a good movie
½ October 13, 2017
Ultimate submarine thriller
September 29, 2017
Almost straight up boring but there's a few redeeming qualities, and they're small.
September 25, 2017
A bit of an uneven film I thought. The submarine action sequences are great but the whole Alec Baldwin as Jack Ryan as the somewhat comedic CIA guy just didn't work.
September 11, 2017
Hands down, the best Jack Ryan film that has been made. Great performances all around with an exhilarating plot. Possibly the best film made set during the cold war.
½ September 10, 2017
Showing its age. The story is good and interesting but the characters now seem rather stereotyped.
August 25, 2017
A brilliant Cold War thriller. Some great acting, music and directing.
August 13, 2017
A fast-paced and overall enjoyable movie, though at times a bit difficult to follow. One little bit of dialogue changes the entire direction of the plot. And the dark submarine lighting, coupled with the theatrical trick of making the Russians speak in English (for the audience's benefit), makes it difficult to determine the ship where the current action is taking place (to the audience's detriment). You may have to pause the movie and talk through what's happening with other people. It's good enough that a second viewing to better navigate each plot twist would still be enjoyable.
½ August 3, 2017
An interesting and convoluted film that requires precise attention in order to fully follow. It has some good thrills and keeps you on the edge of your seat
July 23, 2017
It may lack the special effects at its time but this perhaps maybe one of Tom Clancy's best. Though it could use some more action scenes. Sean Connery was awesome and I can't help but compare Baldwin to Ford. Ford is far better but Baldwin is not that bad. After watching this, it hit me that Crimson Tide was partially base on this thriller.
July 10, 2017
4/5. Way more exciting than I would have expected a submarine thriller to be.