The Hunt for Red October - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunt for Red October Reviews

January 8, 2017
As nearly perfect as a thriller can get. Sean Connery is a fine cast for the Soviet submarine commander. Without too many spoilers, I can say that the film does not end in World War III.
½ December 25, 2016
Very good action-suspenser film version of the Tom Clancy novel with a fine cast. On Blu-Ray.
½ November 28, 2016
Follows the book very well. Maybe even better than the book itself.
November 28, 2016
Not bad action thriller based on Tom Clancy novel. Sean Connery is a famous Russian Admiral in command of the latest stealth submarine Red October. He kill a political adviser on board, burn the orders and on course to American waters hoping to defect. He send a letter to the Admiral of Soviet and they are sending their submarines to hunt Red October down. In USA, intel photo caught image of the submarine and they have no idea what a door is. Alec Baldwin is ask by James Earl Jones to investigate. Soon he found out it is a new technology to travel high speed but silence the current and engine therefore stealth. In the meeting with chief of staffs and secretary of defense Richard Jordan, Alec brief that Sean might want to defect. He is send to find out if Sean want to start a war or defect. The Soviet ambassador Joss Ackland tell Richard they are sending their fleet to find Red October for rescue mission because on board there are many descendants of VIP. They don't need America help for now. In an America sub captain by Scott Glenn, sonar man Courtney B. Vance catch a bit of sound by Red October until it goes stealth. He keep listening and filter and finally think the sound produce seem like magma movement but is actually a submarine. Alec manage to get on board the submarine just when they caught up Red October. Sean decision is not going well with some of the crew but deputy Sam Neill stood by his decision command. Joss now update Richard that the Soviet submarines are gonna hunt down Red October because Sean want to attack USA and want their help to shoot it down too. Alec tell Scott the sub is defecting and now they receive orders to hunt it down before he strikes. The nuclear reactor in Sean sub fail and they are force to go up surface. Scott do the same and establish contact which Sean didn't give specific reply. They dive down again to reach a location as ask by Scott. The nuclear leak in the sub and Sean command the evacuation of the crew while he and few others continue the journey. Scott and Alec go on board the submarine. James in command of another ship pretend to launch a torpedo attack on Red October and detonate before it hit. To let the Soviet crew think it got hit. Then a Russian submarine attack Red October. And the crew member that sabotage a few things in the sub shot dead Sam. Sean and Alec go after him and the former is injured. Alec shot him dead. The clever admiral manage to escape the torpedo attack and make it impact the attacking sub. So Alec was right that Sean want to defect to USA. And they evaded a war. Joss tell Richard they have another submarine missing (the one that attack Red October). Sean and Alec talk about fishing while on top submarine.
½ October 27, 2016
Much better than Red Dawn.
October 14, 2016
62%
Saw this on 14/10/16
A predictable submarine film with a lethargic pacing and no thrills to boost itself. The VFX is ok, but it did not stand the test of time. If anything saves it, then its the cast.
½ August 2, 2016
not the best sub movie but a good one.
August 2, 2016
Sean Connery plays a Russian, and Alec Baldwin plays an intelligence agent in a movie that actually implies some government officials are capable of thought. The movie is the only one of the Jack Ryan movies that I feel really captures the intellect over the action aspect of the character.
July 23, 2016
John McTiernan's best film.
July 18, 2016
Even if I couldn't relate to it at all, it's still probably the best Tom Clancy adaptation out there.
½ June 15, 2016
Credit goes to Tom Clancy for the decent story. The filmmakers did a good job making what I expect would have been a difficult film to make what with all the submarines an that. Not quite as good as the hype led me to believe but still quite a memorable film
½ May 27, 2016
Anchored by its sturdy cast, "The Hunt For Red October" delivers as a taut, smart and finely crafted Navy thriller.
½ May 26, 2016
Slowly paced but builds quite a bit of tension and intrigue.
May 8, 2016
Great submarine thriller powered by an excellent cast.
½ May 3, 2016
The Hunt for Red October (1990) ??? 1/2
Intriguing, near-classic. Soviet Union submarine captain heads for America but not for war purposes. Only liabilities: occasional confusing moments, murkily photographed underwater sequences; otherwise a must-see. The first and best of the "Jack Ryan" series by Tom Clancy. Sound Effects Editing won an Oscar. Followed by PATRIOT GAMES, CLEAR AND PRESIDENT'S DANGER, and THE SUM OF ALL FEARS.
March 7, 2016
One of my Favourites films.
February 24, 2016
Amazing film, currently my fave from McTiernan's directed films.

Great performances from Connery, Baldwin, and Neill. JEJ does a pretty good job too.
½ January 13, 2016
I am probably in the minority here but I was underwhelmed by this film. I'd heard a lot of good things but it didn't hit the mark for me. For one, who in their right mind thought no-one would notice Connery's 'Russian' accent, or lack there of?

I've not read the book so I cannot pass any comment or comparison on that. However I wish there was a bit more action and I would liked a bit more depth (no pun intended!). It would have been good to have some more character development from Ryan (Alec Baldwin) and Ramius (Sean Connery). The film definitely has it's moments and has plenty of suspense but all in all it felt like a bit of an anti-climax to me.
January 7, 2016
One of my all time favorites. Alec Baldwin was the first actor I saw to bring Jack Ryan to life and he brings an intensity that was lost upon the other actors that have succeeded him. Him and Connery take point of a solid ensemble cast with efficient directing by McTiernan. Who knew he could still pump out a film like this right after giving us Predator and Die Hard.
January 5, 2016
My kind of movie. War. Action. Amazing acting. A twisting plot. Yes.