The Hunt for Red October Reviews

• Jul 25, 2020

Most the effects and action still hold up well-enough compared to many modern effects, mostly because they feel a bit more tangible. A couple things were "acceptably" fake. Regardless, I forgot how small this plot actually is; pretty straight-forward, but with many moving parts. Kind of a classic. Can't believe I hadn't actually seen it again since it's release on VHS.

• Jul 15, 2020

I spent a minute trying to figure out a logline for this movie and I couldn't quite get a grasp on how to put it into words. Something about a submarine led by a defective Soviet commander headed for American soil and special agent Jack Ryan (Alec Baldwin) having to hunt him down. That's the best I can do. Acting: 10 Performances were strong across the board and is not where the movie fell flat in the slightest. Alec Baldwin delivers as Ryan with a sharp charisma that makes the movie just slightly more bearable. I was also impressed with Sean Connery's role as villain Marko Ramius. Definitely the type of guy you love to hate and Connery did a solid job of bringing him to life. Beginning: 8 Wasn't 100% bought in after the first ten minutes, but enough happened to make me want to watch more. While I have seen way better movies in my day, I have definitely seen way worse beginnings too. It gives you a bit of story while creating excitement and intrigue for the story. Characters: 5 The acting was fine. The characters, on the other hand, bored the absolute hell out of me. None of their storylines or backgrounds compelled me to ultimately care about the story as a whole. How many times have I said bad characters breed bad movies? Couldn't be truer here. Cinematography/Visuals: 5 This movie relies a lot on smoke and mirrors. First you see a submarine, then it disappears. You see a missile, then it's gone. After awhile the parlor trick gets old and so does the story. It felt like their action sequences suffered from a lower budget. Conflict: 5 The action was mediocre at best. For this to be a movie about dueling submarines, there certainly aren't a lot of dueling submarines. I can't think of a better way to say this: This movie is really boring. There is way too much close-quarters talk and not enough actually happening. Entertainment Value: 6 For every solid moment The Hunt For Red October brings, it gives you more scenes of people just sitting around discussing strategy. The high points were few and far between. It's not a total dumpster fire, but I was certainly hoping for more. Memorability: 4 Pace: 2 Plot: 10 Resolution: 2 Overall: 57 Contrary to what you might think, I hate shitting on movies. Sometimes, as is the case for The Hunt For Red October, it's unavoidable. With such a stellar cast, I was hoping for more.

• Jul 13, 2020

Honestly, this is the only Jack Ryan film I liked and is definitely the best submarine film ever. Sean Connery and Alec Baldwin did a great job and was also a fantastic thriller.

• Jul 10, 2020

It works ok besides Connery's laughable Russian.

It works ok besides Connery's laughable Russian.

• Jul 09, 2020

A good narrative and well executed for most of the movie. The movie has some groan-worthy moments sprinkled throughout it, but more than makes up for it with everything surrounding it. The inexcusable parts make up the ending; where instead of a nice and fun way to wrap up the movie, it instead turns into action schlock.

• Jul 08, 2020

The audience will be involved by this movie more than by many others

The audience will be involved by this movie more than by many others

• Jul 06, 2020

A little overrated but still good this thriller won a Oscar for best sound editing and was nominated for best sound and Editing so I would say check it out.

• Jun 27, 2020

Great cast, great plot/story, great director, great novel based movie! 10 million stars if I could.

• Jun 21, 2020

Without a doubt my favorite spy thriller of all time. The cast in amazing. Sean Connery, Alec Baldwin, Scott Glenn, Tim Curry, Sam Neil, and James Earl Jones are amazing in this. The suspense is great. The atmosphere is great. The score is great. The writing is great. The cinematography is great. This is all just amazing.

• Jun 04, 2020

One of my favorite movies. Sean Connery,Alex Baldwin,Sam Neil and Darth Vadar!

One of my favorite movies. Sean Connery,Alex Baldwin,Sam Neil and Darth Vadar!