The Hunt for Red October Reviews

• 13h ago

This is _the_ Tom Clancy movie you will want to watch if you are in any way or shape or form interested in seeing any of the movies that are based on the man's myriad of books set in the Jack Ryan series. I don't care what the others say, Harrison Ford never managed to fill the boots of Ryan the way Alec Baldwin did, and thus the "sequels" never grabbed me the way this one did. Though, to be honest, it was not just because the actor playing the main character that made this movie so good. No, it also had an outstanding script; cinematography; musical score; and superb supporting cast. It is just one of those movies where everything just fell into place ju~st right. The choices made with the actors could not have been better; from the main roles to the supporting cast, everyone they picked were perfect for the job they were all given without a single exception. I mean, hot damn, they got James Earl Jones, Sean Connery, Alec Baldwin, Tim Curry, Sam Neill, Stellan Skarsgård and Fred Thompson all in the same movie! Also, the director – John McTiernan – did a superb job with directing this film from start to finish, and if you are a fan of his films, you can really see his touch in many scenes. And Larry Ferguson and Donald Stewart did an amazing job in adapting the original novel into a movie script that I consider to be at par with the book. But what really set the mood in this film so well that I never get tired re-watching it every year? The music; done by none other than the legendary Basil Poledouris himself. This movie has an absolutely amazing soundtrack to it. If you have not seen this movie, and are looking for a good thriller, then look no further. Find this film and watch it – you will not be disappointed.

• Jun 21, 2021

I have this movie so many times and I still can't get enough. I really love it . Nice plot and ending.

• Jun 17, 2021

Good, solid thriller. Great cast.

Good, solid thriller. Great cast.

• May 03, 2021

Decent submarine thriller!

Decent submarine thriller!

• Apr 24, 2021

this is by far the best naval/submarine movie I have seen. It has a good balance of plot and action that the compliment each other.

• Mar 31, 2021

Hunt for Red October is a beautiful political drama with an action packed ending. McTiermans best work since Die Hard (1988). This movie has one of the best soundtrack ever heard in cinema history and it isn't the best part of this movie. It takes the viewer through an exiting and tense chase in the Atlantic Ocean switching between submarines and carriers, following Alec Baldwin as Jack Ryan. Only the CGI at the end is bad, but considering the year of the movie and the quality of everything else its passable. Simply wonderful.

• Mar 20, 2021

A very good film and probably the second best Tom Clancy film adaptation. It's 30 years since it was released but it still plays well even though the geopolitical landscape has changed so much. It's taut and suspenseful helped by a strong supporting cast and a magnetic performance from Sean Connery. A must watch for fans of military and naval warfare films.

• Mar 15, 2021

Fun and thrilling Cold War story

Fun and thrilling Cold War story

• Feb 28, 2021

This was an EXTREMELY good film. I love the story line and the plot twists that keep happening. It is really well made and is just an amazing movie. I love how this was created and how simple the plot is, but yet the movie seems to make a great movie out of such a story.

• Jan 23, 2021

Having been a submariner for 10yrs, I have to say this movíe is so far from reality that it's ridiculous. Everything is wrong and as for "seamn Jones" no way would a mere seaman have that experience or the ear of the captain. Far fetched trash.