I Give It a Year - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Give It a Year Reviews

August 28, 2017
I've started out with this sentiment in a review, on Flixster, for Mindhorn. The normal quote, usually, goes: 'Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good it's really good and when it's bad, it's still pretty good.' The reason I mention this again is simply because of the fact that, to me, a lot of British comedies (or rom-coms as is the case here) end up being pretty good even if they're amazing. I just find the Brits to have an innate ability to make enjoyable comedies. Or maybe I just enjoy that sense of humor more and that might cloud my judgment. It's entirely possible that it's the latter. But that's neither here nor there. The last two times (this included) I've brought this up has been for a movie that, while not without its moments, is inherently flawed. I will say this right now, the concept for this movie certainly has the potential to bring about a lot of cool moments that subvert normal rom-com tropes. It's a rom-com that, literally, plays out in reverse. I don't mean it plays out like Memento, where the end is the beginning and vice versa. I just mean that it's a movie about our two leads, who got married after only seven months together, realizing that they are not in love with each other. I don't wanna say it's like The Break-Up, but it's the closest comparison point. Moving on, however. As I mentioned, this movie had so much goddamn potential to be great. The question now is, did the film live up to that potential? If you couldn't tell by the rating prior to reading this then I don't know what is actually wrong with you. Anyway, the answer to that question is an unequivocal no. And you don't know how much it disappoints me. I always applaud originality in whatever film that may have some, but I've felt that, for the most part, rom-coms are usually behind the pack when it comes to subverting their many tropes. This film had the potential to do that, as if I hadn't made that clear already and, yet, THIS is the movie we got. I don't know where to really begin. I like the idea behind this, it's a deconstruction of the romantic comedy and yet it falls apart almost immediately after it starts. It looks at this overzealous couple that got married before they really got to know each other. Again, all fine. The problem is the fact that, really, for the most part, the leads are really unlikable. You can make this type of movie where it looks at the difficulties of marriage without making the leads look like such assholes for picking arguments about small shit. In a film like this, I think it's key for you to, at the very least, relate to the characters. You're supposed to be with them as they realize that they got married to the wrong person all the while the right person is available to them. That's problem one. Second problem is the fact this movie is never as funny as it probably should be given how the comedic scenes play. The comedy in this movie, I'm certain, read better on paper than they played out on screen. Maybe they were never that funny to begin with, who knows? But I just found the movie to be completely inconsistent when it came to laughs. That's not to say that it is without its moments. This will certainly have spoilers, but the climactic scene of Josh going to his first anniversary dinner with Nat to ask her for a divorce her plays out like a marriage proposal would play out in these films. It's actually one of the very few legitimately funny scenes in the entire movie. The casting isn't the problem here. I think Rafe Spall and Rose Byrne are perfectly mismatched. They've got an antagonistic chemistry with each other and that's precisely what the film required. Perhaps they didn't hate each other as much as Minnie Driver and Jason Flemyng's characters did (they're another one of the highlights), but their dislike for one another felt genuine. The supporting cast is strong, Simon Baker is charming and Anna Faris is always great. So, again, the problems I have with this film are completely unrelated to the casting. It's all about the writing. Unlikable characters, general lack of truly memorable comedic scenes and a lot of dead air in between those "comedic" scenes. All of that holds this movie back tremendously. It's not what I would call a truly terrible movie, it's certainly watchable thanks to the actors and a few memorable scenes. It's disappointing more than anything else. I was able to get through this without much problem and, I'm guessing, so would most of you. Still, I can't avoid thinking what could have been if this film was actually more consistent and considerably better written. This is ok, at best and maybe I'm being generous when I say that.
August 25, 2017
Ok film. Awful ending. Totally misses the point.
August 11, 2017
I really don't understand the negative reviews. This movie is an absolute delight.
August 1, 2017
Definitely not as fresh a take on the rom com as it presented itself to be, but I found it surprisingly funny and very charming. It did manage to somewhat subvert my expectations
June 10, 2017
Nothing new here. As usual, I just ask Why someone made this film. The rest of the cast and lazy writing made Minnie Driver look like a comedic genius when she delivered her dark, sarcastic comedic lines. Minnie Driver! She was the highlight, and when she wasn't on film, bleh. Try to talk your significant other out of this "rom-com", if possible.
½ June 3, 2017
The entire movie was so awkward and uncomfortable. It was an hour and a half of me cringing for all involved.
May 21, 2017
Clumsy and cute - that's my concise review of regular Sacha Baron Cohen collaborator Dan Mazer's directorial debut I Give It a Year.
½ April 27, 2017
The ending ruined it. Otherwise sweet.
½ February 1, 2017
A mediocre attempt at a British rom-com. Josh (Spall) & Nat (Byrne) get married after a 7-month romance, and then it all slowly falls apart - turns out both of them have serious flaws (der!). Merchant definitely needed more screen time if this was to be funnier - he has some great awkward moments. Faris is good as the foregone conclusion and Baker's OK. It's all a bit obvious and nowhere near as funny as it could've been.
November 22, 2016
Mildly funny as there's plenty of room for improvement on the script and the cast. I Give It A Year is a bland and predictable comedy that unfortunately proved to be a complete waste of time.
September 4, 2016
This is rather boring. Not bad really, just forgettable. I chose to watch it because it has so many actors I like, but the story just isn't very good. There is only one scene, involving a digital frame, that really made me laugh.
June 3, 2016
Very funny, not politically correct but really down to earth and full of idiotic and raw humor.
May 16, 2016
The Brits has done it again...
Hilarious, and awkwardly funny at times...this fearless rom-com roamed where Hollywood don't want to...
April 10, 2016
Couldn't even finish it; it was so bad
½ January 6, 2016
Writer and director Dan Mazer brings a surprisingly pragmatic love story. There are some funny moments here and there. Overall, I was entertained.

I Give it a Year starts with a negative attitude about its newlyweds Nat and Josh. I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to root for or against them. The director himself seemed ambivalent about them. Their families seemed unenthusiastic about their future. Kind of a downer for them, but they had some good months together, and then the little issues between them came up, and more significantly, other options came up.

For ambitious career woman Nat, her new option is new client and successful business owner Guy. Josh's new option is his ex-girlfriend Chloe, a free spirit he never truly stopped having feelings for.

It soon becomes clear that each is with the wrong partner, and yet...When Josh and Nat finally have their talk about wanting to uncouple, there's no big drama, tears, accusations, name calling, thrown objects, or yelling. It's a pragmatic little talk that makes them both happy, and you see them genuinely caring about each other's happiness, and you're thinking "Isn't caring about each other's happiness halfway to marital success?", but no, the script says it's over, so it's over. These 2 are excited to be free of each other. They agree to divorce in the friendliest warmest possible spirit, then head off together to pursue their new partners.

But, it's more complicated than that, because both of their new love interests have hooked up with each other and are about to fly off on a romantic getaway. Oh no! Josh and Nat show up just in time, convince Guy and Chloe in a confused minute or two to choose them instead of each other, and it's....a happy ending? Well, everybody seemed happy, so yes, I suppose it is.

Well, I've never seen a romance quite like it. It's slightly baffling, but there are many ways to look at love, and this seems to be one of them. The love in this story is pragmatic, equitable, and forgiving. There is passion and attraction, but it's almost more of a musical chairs variety than something deeper. When the music stops, whichever partner you're across from now is your new partner. Perhaps I'm being unfair.
½ October 27, 2015
Mostly a generic rom-com, some of the humour is not too bad as it's able to be a little looser with the sex humour being a European production. Stephen Merchant's character is a little too extreme simply because he dominates the start of the film with some cringeworthy dialogue, then disappears for the rest of it, and therefore the first impressions of the movie are skewed.
September 11, 2015
That's probably the perfect definition of a romantic comedy.
½ September 6, 2015
The reverse twist to the normal rom-com narrative differientiates 'I Give it a Year' but its best moments of comedy rely on Stephen Merchant who just isn't in it enough.
½ August 24, 2015
No boundary unbroken, utterly insensitive, zero comportment, completely without subtlety, irritating.
August 24, 2015
Funniest movie I've seen in awhile.