I Give It a Year - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Give It a Year Reviews

June 3, 2016
Very funny, not politically correct but really down to earth and full of idiotic and raw humor.
May 16, 2016
The Brits has done it again...
Hilarious, and awkwardly funny at times...this fearless rom-com roamed where Hollywood don't want to...
April 10, 2016
Couldn't even finish it; it was so bad
½ January 6, 2016
Writer and director Dan Mazer brings a surprisingly pragmatic love story. There are some funny moments here and there. Overall, I was entertained.

I Give it a Year starts with a negative attitude about its newlyweds Nat and Josh. I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to root for or against them. The director himself seemed ambivalent about them. Their families seemed unenthusiastic about their future. Kind of a downer for them, but they had some good months together, and then the little issues between them came up, and more significantly, other options came up.

For ambitious career woman Nat, her new option is new client and successful business owner Guy. Josh's new option is his ex-girlfriend Chloe, a free spirit he never truly stopped having feelings for.

It soon becomes clear that each is with the wrong partner, and yet...When Josh and Nat finally have their talk about wanting to uncouple, there's no big drama, tears, accusations, name calling, thrown objects, or yelling. It's a pragmatic little talk that makes them both happy, and you see them genuinely caring about each other's happiness, and you're thinking "Isn't caring about each other's happiness halfway to marital success?", but no, the script says it's over, so it's over. These 2 are excited to be free of each other. They agree to divorce in the friendliest warmest possible spirit, then head off together to pursue their new partners.

But, it's more complicated than that, because both of their new love interests have hooked up with each other and are about to fly off on a romantic getaway. Oh no! Josh and Nat show up just in time, convince Guy and Chloe in a confused minute or two to choose them instead of each other, and it's....a happy ending? Well, everybody seemed happy, so yes, I suppose it is.

Well, I've never seen a romance quite like it. It's slightly baffling, but there are many ways to look at love, and this seems to be one of them. The love in this story is pragmatic, equitable, and forgiving. There is passion and attraction, but it's almost more of a musical chairs variety than something deeper. When the music stops, whichever partner you're across from now is your new partner. Perhaps I'm being unfair.
½ October 27, 2015
Mostly a generic rom-com, some of the humour is not too bad as it's able to be a little looser with the sex humour being a European production. Stephen Merchant's character is a little too extreme simply because he dominates the start of the film with some cringeworthy dialogue, then disappears for the rest of it, and therefore the first impressions of the movie are skewed.
September 11, 2015
That's probably the perfect definition of a romantic comedy.
½ September 6, 2015
The reverse twist to the normal rom-com narrative differientiates 'I Give it a Year' but its best moments of comedy rely on Stephen Merchant who just isn't in it enough.
½ August 24, 2015
No boundary unbroken, utterly insensitive, zero comportment, completely without subtlety, irritating.
August 24, 2015
Funniest movie I've seen in awhile.
½ August 15, 2015
Character development is poor. Hard to like the characters. "Emotional" scenes lack proper build up. Offers a very shallow view of love and marriage.
½ August 7, 2015
I give it a year. Yep, that's how long I'll be traumatised & take to get over this dirty dish water of a movie. There's absolutely nothing new this brings to the genre & like the two protagonists I stuck around far too long & should had admitted defeat long before the credits rolled.
July 28, 2015
This is one of the most dull movies I've watched in a long time. I only laughed twice throughout it. Stephen Merchant is an unbearable twat (a bit like in life to be fair), Anna Faris is adorable (but what has she done to her face?), and the main dude is trying very hard to be as irritating as Hugh Grant in rom coms. The problem is it goes from sweet to ultra crude in seconds and that makes it more cringeworthy than funny. A great concept pulled off badly.
½ July 1, 2015
Funny in patches though formulaic
April 13, 2015
Rafe Spall is not a typical leading man, and his brand of incredibly awkward humour suits the film very well. While this sort-of-rom com is unbelievable, it is still an entertaining about turn of the genre wrapped in the usual cliches.
½ April 24, 2014
An interesting perspective of what you think would be similar to any other romantic comedy. It's a twist on an old story that works in a completely new way.
May 17, 2015
Although predictable, it did have some funny moments.
April 30, 2015
I thought this was OK. However I do find it quite unlikely that a man with rose Byrne would dump her for Anna Faris who they really made her look frumpy. But for an English movie I thought it was pretty funny.
April 15, 2015
its mint I have it funny as hell
March 3, 2013
I'm not really a Rom-Com person but this film was packed with laugh out loud jokes.. Although some were a bit too crude as I saw it with my mother I would still recommend it
½ January 26, 2013
Not overly funny and seriously crass at times with a predictable ending and some poor performances.