I Love You Phillip Morris - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Love You Phillip Morris Reviews

½ November 1, 2016
Such a sweet and poignant little oddball of a movie, but one that I greatly enjoyed nonetheless. Carrey and McGregor are outstanding here.
½ October 7, 2016
I watched this a few years ago and thought it was real funny. This time, it didn't seem that funny - just sad. Rated 3.5 stars.
September 27, 2016
Jim Carrey is enjoyable and does what he does best, but the true story premise is too much one note. Even Ewan McGregor's chemistry with Carrey can't overcome the lightness of the premise. I get it rinse wash repeat. This would have made a great short film, but as a feature it's just blah.
½ September 10, 2016
If it weren't for Bernie, this would certainly be the best true crime tragicomedy about a gay man living in Texas, that simultaneously most certainly did the crime he was prosecuted for and was also the victim of the story, where the main actor is mainly known for his wacky comedy roles but takes an impressive dramatic turn, that I've seen in the past few years.

After roughly the first 15 minutes or so the over the top humor is mostly toned down for a surprisingly touching, and topical story about identity, the American dream, and even the failures of the prison system.

For a movie that I assumed would be an hour and a half of Jim Carrey falling down stairs and having exaggerated gay sex, I was impressed.
½ September 2, 2016
I enjoyed this. The ending was expected nail it wasn't. I think both Carrey and Ewan sucked me in to it. I had to go and check if it was based on a true story at the end.
August 29, 2016
Brilliantly funny and engaging
August 15, 2016
great mood to watch on ur birthday. and it even relieves the fear of Tia Sida!!!
and its real!!!! =)
August 14, 2016
IT'S A PITY THAT EWAN MCGREGOR HAD TO WORKED AND LOST ALL HIS GOOD WILL TRYING TO WORK WITH JIM CARREY WHO IT'S ONE OF THE WORST ROLLES HE HAS EVER PLAYED. IF ANOTHER ACTOR HAD PLAYED CARREY'S PART, IT MIGHT BE A MUCH BETTER RESULT.
August 12, 2016
A farcical romantic comedy that's surprisingly true, and finds humor and emotion in the unlikeliest of places.
August 12, 2016
SPOILER ALERT
Depends a lot on the charisma of its two (straight) stars. Appreciate how difficult it is to film a true story and stick (more or less) to the facts. I knew nothing about this man so everything to me was unexpected which helped me appreciate it more. Obviously the comic elements, which of course didn't exist in the real story, helped to tell the story but I did feel at times that they exaggerated the camp aspect. But they sure made the film entertaining. Kudos especially to Jim Carrey. And I'll always appreciate Chances Are more after seeing that late night prison dance scene!
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
Abit fruity but a smart and well acted comedy, More of a love story than a comedy but had a few good laughs, Jim and Ewan played a perfect on screen couple, Worth a watch.
July 28, 2016
I found Jim Carrey's character highly unpleasant overall, even though I really, really didn't want to. The love stories were all very uncomfortable. I don't know, man. I hated it. But now that I know it's a true story, I guess that's pretty cool.
July 13, 2016
The film has its flaws, but the winning chemistry between Carrey and McGregor carries the show. I Love You Phillip Morris, a tragicomedy by the guys who directed the excellent "Crazy Stupid Love", is cute, funny, and surprisingly romantic.
July 5, 2016
Guardada por más de un año debido a su contenido (y a la homofobia de las distribuidoras), "I Love You Phillip Morris", la historia basada en hechos reales acerca de Steven Jay Russell, un estafador quien en prisión encuentra el amor, es una deliciosa comedia romántica. Los directores John Requa y Glenn Ficarra logran confeccionar una cinta muy divertida que nos muestra una vez más cómo la realidad supera a la ficción. Jim Carrey, quien interpreta a Russell, logra una de las mejores interpretaciones de su carrera (junto a "Man On The Moon", "Truman Show" y "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind") y obtiene una gran química con Ewan McGregor (quien interpreta a Phillip Morris, el amor de Russell). "I Love You Phillip Morris" es una película ligera pero extraordinaria, que vale la pena ver.
April 28, 2016
I Love You Phillip Morris is an enjoyable film without a lasting stamp.
½ April 2, 2016
Gave this movie several tries. I do absolutely not get what this story wants to tell us, it's a confused mix of so many flavours it ends up tasting like nothing. Not a gay movie, not a movie about love, never funny, not about society, and if it's about the so called " real life story " of a guy, even there it misses completely. I regret that I will never get the time back.
½ March 14, 2016
Funny. Surprising. Clever. Cute. Absurd. And then some more funny.
February 29, 2016
One of Jim carreys best performances
February 26, 2016
It has moments of genuine genius, but the overall comedy does not fit in all the pieces.
½ February 22, 2016
Strange, but commited performances make this work.