Il Divo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Il Divo Reviews

February 6, 2016
Il potere logora chi non ce l'ha.
January 15, 2016
Disappointing. Was hoping for a tense Borgen-esque political drama. Instead it's style over substance. Plenty of swooping camera shots but no real narrative. Even by the standards of Italian politics this was extremely difficult to follow.
January 12, 2016
I am developing quite a crush on Toni Servillo; what an extraordinary talent! He was all but unrecognizable here in "Il Divo" compared to the suave, urbane, amusingly self-deprecating protagonist of "The Great Beauty"....but fascinating in the part of longtime Italian Prime Minister Giulio Andreotti who went on trial (and was acquitted) for his supposed Mafia ties. This is our fourth Sorrentino film and, after the dud yesterday, it's solidly in the win column. The machinations of power, the dance of it, the consequences all against the background of Italy's deep history made for a hypnotic film experience.
July 19, 2015
Paolo Sorrentino já me deixando no clima para o Eco.
½ December 11, 2014
"Il Divo" feels like a film that I would have enjoyed more if I had been better versed in the political landscape of Italy at the time of it's release. With my meagre knowledge (and I'm arrogantly assuming that my knowledge is comparable to the majority of the English speaking world), I spent most of this film either being confused or frantically consulting Wikipedia.

The film follows the final term of corrupt Italian prime minister Giulia Andreotti, a man who was elected 7 times and left a trail of murders in his path. This film follows a series of bribes and campaigns to serve as President of Italy, while some of his dodgier deals became exposed to the general public.

It's an intriguing political thriller, no doubt about it, shot nicely, acted superbly and directed very competently by Paolo Serrentino. But there does seem to be an underlying assumption that the audience already knows the backstory, which in Italy may not be an unreasonable assumption at all. But for foreigners, this film does have a tendency to get rather confusing at parts.

Still, a very well done film. 7/10.
½ October 19, 2014
.Bella, Bella, Bellissima. saatnya kita menghargai negeri sendiri, look, di negara manapun di dunia ini pasti selalu ada namanya skandal di dunia birokrasi. jadi, jangan menyerah dengan kita gampang mengucapkan "ah enaknya bisa hidup negara lain bla-bla-bla" nanti bisa nyesel kalau ternyata lebih buruk dari yang asal
½ September 17, 2014
Beautiful writing, eloquent cinematography, sharp directing, committed acting.
½ July 6, 2014
Sorrentino navigates Italy's tumultuous political landscape, in this sublimely directed, fascinating docudrama, featuring a performance of restrained power from Toni Servillo.
½ April 18, 2014
Fascinating movie. Unique story
½ April 8, 2014
Loud, emotional, and undeniably Italian, Il Divo is refreshingly original in terms of its presentation. However, the onslaught of names and references are indeed incredibly difficult for the non-native to follow, and some of the cuts between scenes are jarring, although whether this is intentional or not is up to debate. Otherwise, its a crisp, clean, appropriately shocking film.
½ February 22, 2014
Very interesting film but I doubt that Andreotti was connected to all those Mafia murders. The soundtrack is good.
February 18, 2014
I don't know if non-Italians can really follow the whole story. But this is the best Italian film I've seen in a loooong while.
Top score for me!
½ January 12, 2014
This piece of art is a brilliant painting. Great subject, great artistic achievement, well done job, but I found boring to watch it for 2 hours.
January 2, 2014
Really engaging visually and very well acted, but I wasn't able to follow the plot.
½ December 21, 2013
"il divo" is pure cinematic experience by Pauolo Sorrentino ("this must be the place") that made here fantastic scenes with unique and perfect cinematography.
Tony servillo is mesmerizing and played the mysterious Anderotti and "shooting" his words from the script into the audience's head.
½ November 3, 2013
You do not need to be Italian to absolutely fall in love with this movie. You don't need to know the intricacies of Italian political history to revel in the movie's stellar cast, tempo, and directorial marvel. It is an exquisite, rich, in depth look at Italy's most influential prime minister. Enjoy.
March 18, 2013
The remarkably broad spectrum in which iconic governmental figures have been portrayed in film over the decades has ranged from the personal and intimate, right up to their overall political impact; their ultimate power. However, be they controversial, revered, or downright despised, the ways in which a national leader's life as a whole can be dramatised often seem to be frustrated at the final hurdle; creating a genuinely engaging piece of film. Somehow, against the odds, Il Divo manages to span all fronts of Giulio Andreotti's complex character with style and dexterity to spare.

At once terrifying, brutal and cold, Sorrentino's epic tale of sanctioned corruption and death on the Italian peninsula also projects an odd charm, a twisted brand of 'silliness' that magnificently contrasts the chillingly serious accusations of a man seemingly torn by his own power - his darker side never admitting fault to his own conscience. How refreshing it is too to see a cinematic representation of a modern leader that blends up its overly-administrative subject matter with a little pinch of salt, and a little bit of surreal humour. Memorable moments involving senators sliding around on marble floors, dancing to samba bands and spending their waking lives desperately trying to stop a migraine pill from leaving the pharmaceutical codex are slotted between confessions from Giulio such as 'We must love God greatly to understand how necessary evil is for good', and 'I've always had a weakness for ice cream'.

Of course, a film with the ever-enigmatic Andreotti as the protagonist inevitably leads to the story floating through occasional phases of ludicrously dense, high-speed dialogue, magniloquently focused on 'who met who?', 'who accused who?', and 'who murdered who?', but Sorrentino blasts through these patches by making sure every single edit introduces a shot more breathtaking than the last. Clearly a man with a truly gifted eye for aesthetics, the film comes together to perfectly demonstrate the surely gargantuan effort put into every scene. Il Divo is a truly beautiful movie.

Throughout, there are many titles, subtitles, and the odd line of dialogue that are not translated due to the express-train speed of the film, and as a result the film feels impenetrably, almost exclusively Italian at times, but even this is insufficient to stop the unstoppable force, the almighty power of Il Divo, certifiably one of the great political films of the modern era.
½ March 9, 2013
A perfect take of the most important and influent politician after the world war.
December 26, 2012
As an American who knew very little about politics in Italy, I was very interested to see this movie while I was living in Milan. With excellent direction and cinematography, this is great for anyone interested in getting to know the political underbelly of Italy.
December 22, 2012
brilliance!!! filmmaking at its best... and whatta performance from tony servillo!!! just go see...