Il Futuro - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Il Futuro Reviews

January 28, 2016
Rutger Hauer was amazing as always but the movie kept building and building and then just went nowhere.
½ March 28, 2015
A predictable movie which depicts a depressing Rome. The storyline is weak, and really leads nowhere. Rutger Hauer performance though, albeit short, is remarkable.
January 24, 2015
Basada en "Una Novelita Lumpen" de Bolaño, este melodrama italiano-chileno parte de una premisa prometedora y naufraga cuando su directora atrapada en sus propios guiños estilísticos es incapaz de decidirse entre cerrar la trama o escapar vía una nebulosa alegoría filosófica.
May 3, 2014
A slow Italian drama worth watching for the sexy Martelli, and a ghostly Hauer.
April 16, 2014
Alicia Scherson's adaptation of cult author Roberto Bolaño's novel "Una novelita lumpen" is a hazy, dreamlike, compelling and mysterious journey into the subconscious. The movie reminds of some of the best psychoanalytical movies from the 70's. Its tone is subtly surreal; even as reality never gets dramatically broken, there are cracks.

The flick tells the story of two siblings Bianca and Tomas who lose their parents in a random car accident. The setting is Rome, presented in a light of magical realism. The siblings fight to remain together, having to prove that Bianca who has barely reached adulthood can take care of her brother. Ultimately she gets tangled in crime through her brother's new bodybuilder friends. They want Bianca to scam money from a blind former action movie star Maciste, played very well by Rutger Hauer.

Reluctant but finally game, Bianca begins an odd relationship as Maciste's prostitute. The ultimate goal of stealing the man's money gets difficult as that relationship deepens.

"Il futuro" is vague in a good way, carried by Scherson's competent vision and Manuela Martelli's cool, detached but substantial performance as Bianca. The protagonist is as intangible as the movie itself, but also equally fascinating and never weak.
January 19, 2014
Scherson's style is at once both gripping and unpretentious, leaving us with broken portraits of broken people. The lack of a classical climax only further bolsters the overall theme: waking reality always pales in comparison to the idyllic dream we all hold onto - that somehow we can go back and change the past, that somehow what we experience everyday cannot possibly be real.
December 3, 2013
I have always liked Rutger Hauer, but some of his movies are highly intellectual and others are almost sadistic. I think this looks to be more about the relationships and getting inside the paranoia of this man's life and breaking down his walls. I don't rate it more than a three because I'm not into erotica and believe it is overused. The jury is still out for me, but I'l at least watch more trailers to see if I may increase or decrease my 'want to see' rating.
December 2, 2013
I would be interested in seeing this.
November 10, 2013
I really, really enjoyed watching Il Futuro. It would, without a doubt, have a higher rating from me if there was some sort of pay off, which there virtually isn't one. The filming is fantastic, but what really stands out is the dialogue between the characters. It's sometimes funny, sometimes profound - I loved it. I just really wish the movie would've had some sort of climax.
Harlequin68
½ October 3, 2013
In "Il Futuro," teenagers Tomas(Luigi Ciardo) and Bianca(Manuela Martelli) are orphaned when their parents die in a car accident in Rome, far away from their native Chile. Not helping matters is that they will have wait to see if they can get all of their parents' pensions. In the meantime, Bianca takes a job in a hair salon while Tomas auditions at a gym. It is there that he meets two personal trainers(Nicolas Vaporidis & Alessandro Giallocosta) who he in turn takes home with them. In return, they cook and clean. They also have a plan to take care of everybody's economic issues by using Bianca to insinuate herself with Maciste(Rutger Hauer), a former bodybuilder and B-movie star.

Even though it has a plot as old as dirt and therefore more than its share of predictability, "Il Futuro" still has a lot going for it such as a neat turn from Rutger Hauer, erotic energy to spare, a twangy guitar score and a lovely dream logic, including a cameo from Cinecitta. In its own gentle way, the movie critiques the impatience of youth while also pointing out that there are no short cuts in life. Meanwhile, all of the characters are shown their possible futures, even if they are not aware of it at the time. Currently, Bianca is satisfied just being in a place where she is not stared at all the time while not yet realizing that smoking might stunt her growth.
May 13, 2013
The writer is not "Roberto Vidal Bolano" but "Roberto Bolaño (Ávalos)" !!!
January 30, 2013
New at Sundance this year: beautiful young naked girls all over. This one had the best fotographed skin. Bronze. Plus a simple captivating story.