I'm Not There - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I'm Not There Reviews

December 13, 2017
An incredible and truly unique cinematic achievement, 'I'm Not There' is not an ambitious, entertaining and thought provoking biopic but a work of sheer brilliance and inventiveness in the way it attempts to morph the many public personas of Bob Dylan and the numerous homages and references to the real man. A must see for any Dylan fan and a highly recommended for those interested in watching a biopic that is unique and filled with great cinematic creativity.
October 7, 2017
I don't know much about bob dylan but it has 2 aussie actors (cate and heath) and they are incredible actors at that. great cast from the looks of it; bale never misses a step in any of his roles, gere is always in depth and that young boy Franklin can sing like the whole world is his :)
September 21, 2017
Taking literally from it's subject matter, that which refuses to be classified and boxed, this is sort of a biography of Bob Dylan, whoever that is, which is the point of the work. And so the lead is played by six, count 'em, six actors, all working to convey some indefinable aspect about the man who certainly could be said to be one of the foremost to have formed 60's counterculture music, and more. It's the most interesting biography I've ever seen, so much so that I, a devoted Dylan denier, decided to rethink my denials. Okay, so maybe he is a phony, but he's a real phony, or maybe not. Whoever the guy is, his music, his art, speaks for itself. Give it a watch.
September 9, 2017
Not so much a movie on Bob Dylan's life, this is a homage to Bob Dylan's music. Extremely well acted, photographed, scripted, it also incorporates Dylan's music naturally into it.
½ July 23, 2017
Ambition does not equal the audience caring or staying invested through this dull experiment.
July 11, 2017
I'm Not There is Todd Haynes's lyrical homage to Bob Dylan. It's beautifully and cleverly edited, visually fascinating and innovative, and filled with great music. It brilliantly casts Cate Blanchett and Marcus Carl Franklin to play some of the many parts of Dylan's personality. It's also occasionally random (what, a giraffe!), disagreeable, a bridge too far, and overly long.
July 7, 2017
Todd Haynes' bold attempt to define the pivotal stages of Bob Dylan's capricious musical evolution with intertwining episodes of several personas and played by different actors defies the genre of biography and brings about a most surrealistic viewing experience.
July 3, 2017
OF course I want to see this movie...Bob Dylan. I am very excited!!
October 24, 2016
am vazut primele 30 de minute . interesanta poetica lui .
October 4, 2016
This is a very interesting piece of work and I admire every aspect of it. I've read a couple of reviews that say the film's lack of coherent narrative makes it difficult to follow, and sometimes it is, but for the most part I wasn't bothered by it. Todd Haynes is an experimental filmmaker and what he does in this film and with this story is quite bold and intelligent and unconventional, and I love that about it. There were times in the film where I felt confused and lost, but I think that is because I knew very little about Bob Dylan prior to seeing this film, and what got me intrigued all the way through is the six brilliant lead performances and the structure. "I'm Not There" is not a film that I would revisit every once in a while, but I'm glad that I saw it.
September 16, 2016
If I hadn't read the written explanations on the DVD, I would have had no clue, instead of little clue, as to how much of the film had anything to do with Bob Dylan. For students of Dylan.
½ July 21, 2016
i was dubious as to whether a liking for Dylan's music would be adequate for enjoying a film with such a strange concept. But, i believe there is plenty in this film for everyone, and a liking of Dylan's music is not necessarily a vital component. Yes, it is strange and unique, but it is incredibly visionary, assessing the many faces of the elusive genius who is Dylan. Bar the patchy effort of Richard Gere, the acting is sublime, especially in Cate Blanchett, whose represenation of the electric Dylan will not be forgotten. An instantly enjoyable film, that offers much in terms of greatness, and a deserved biopic to who is possibly the greatest musical talent of all time.
April 23, 2016
So I've now watched 5 of Todd Haynes' films since listening to his interview on Marc Maron's WTF podcast and I've liked all of his films, but this one was the worst in my opinion. I respect his version for the film, but the film was hard to follow for anyone who doesn't have a Phd in Bob Dylan. I like Bob Dylan and his music, but do not know much about it and therefore I was lost more than a few times in what the film was trying to show. I'm sure there are some people that love this film, but I just didn't "get it" and am sure most people feel the same way. The cast is phenomenal and they do a great job, especially Christian Bale. The film also has tremendous classic Dylan songs and some great new music, including James Jones of My Morning Jacket in the film. Overall a very original and unique film, but it just wasn't for me.
April 22, 2016
"I'm Not There" pastes together a collage of music icon Bob Dylan's career. What makes it so interesting is its peculiar approach and combination of styles.
½ April 20, 2016
A little hard to grab and hold on to, but I suppose Dylan has spent a lifetime making himself such. Cate Blanchett is extraordinary in this film.
April 9, 2016
Bob Dylan is a name that I've come to respect and love for his music but figuring out this man outside of that is something I for some reason never attempted. Based on the six characters in here who represented Dylan, the singer was a complicated man. He had many aspects to his personality and they all came at different points in his life. I'm not there is a uniquely written and structured picture with some all star talent.
Woody Guthrie, Jude Quinn, Arthur Rimbaud, billy McCarthy, Robbie clark and Jack Rollins are six characters who embody the spirit of bob Dylan. the movie plays each of there stories and trying to give deeper insight into the legendary singer we've all come to love.
This is definitely one of the more unusual concepts I've seen for a multi character story. Having six incarnations of bob Dylan and having these people play aspects of him is quite the idea. It was done so unconventional like that Todd Haynes should have received waaaay more credit for this wonderful piece of work.. The music was really solid which I enjoyed. Shoutout to the costume department they did a fantastic job with all the actors especially with cate blanchett
Of all the actors who played the incarnations cate blanchett was the most remarkable as Dylan. She portrays the cool swagger of the man as well as his artistic and spiritual mind. She portrays him at as someone who despite being hated wasn't going to let anyone change the fact that Dylan does what he wants. Christian bale captured bob's performance and mysterioso nature. out of everyone he got dylan's voice down pact in my opinion. The little black boy represented bob's southern roots. found it funny his name was woody Guthrie. Ben whishaw impressively pulls of not just an American accent but dylan's. Its kinda eerie watching heath ledger's last film role before the dark knight but nonetheless he was great! Overall the entire cast was sensational.
the cinematography was superb and awesomely shot. The editing was spectacular and well put together. You need true skill to piece together so many back and forth scenes and black and white scenes in a artistic, flavorful and concise manner.
I'm not there is certainly one of 2007's most underated films.
March 20, 2016
I know this is usually where I do a brief paragraph of why this movie works and make a bold attempt to be "analytical", but this movie, in most sophisticated language I can muster, is f&%king amazing. Everything about it is f&%king amazing.This f&%king amazing movie may be my new favorite Biopic. Everyone should see this f&%king amazing movie.
½ March 13, 2016
I'm Not There is an example of one of the most perfect film experiences you can have in the most unconventional way possible. Six actors play multiple incarnations of the astounding Bob Dylan, with Cate Blanchett and Marcus Carl Franklin being the stand-outs. Todd Haynes unique direction and the using of Dylan's music to set up the story was miraculous in every way. The cinematography also proves that there is no better pairing in film than Lachman and Haynes. I'm Not There is certainly a film that should go down in history, and be studied in every film class around the globe.
December 30, 2015