I'm Not There Reviews

• Mar 28, 2019

A brilliantly poetic imagery of Bob Dylan's many faces and phases.

A brilliantly poetic imagery of Bob Dylan's many faces and phases.

• Nov 06, 2018

Surreal. Not necessarily a good film, though it is interesting.

Surreal. Not necessarily a good film, though it is interesting.

• Apr 22, 2018

god rest his soul and his rudeness.. I'm Not There It is difficult to pull off a tale with multiple characters with various; someway interconnected, tale that is set in a poignant tone and still hold the audience for more than 2 hours even though it fails to connect with them easily. Todd Haynes; the writer-director, and Oren Moverman; the screenwriter's, script comes with a lot of instructions and requirement that is almost fulfilled while depicting it on screen but some of it feels missing too, in the end. On performance level, the feature scores majestically with the help of Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, Heath Ledger and Richard Gere. I'm Not There is a musical but not your typical one, it may comes off as cathartic in the end after surviving this empirical world of Todd Haynes in an overlong script that raises question whether it is worth it or not.

• Mar 15, 2018

As peculiar as the man himself.

As peculiar as the man himself.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Sep 21, 2017

Taking literally from it's subject matter, that which refuses to be classified and boxed, this is sort of a biography of Bob Dylan, whoever that is, which is the point of the work. And so the lead is played by six, count 'em, six actors, all working to convey some indefinable aspect about the man who certainly could be said to be one of the foremost to have formed 60's counterculture music, and more. It's the most interesting biography I've ever seen, so much so that I, a devoted Dylan denier, decided to rethink my denials. Okay, so maybe he is a phony, but he's a real phony, or maybe not. Whoever the guy is, his music, his art, speaks for itself. Give it a watch.

• Sep 07, 2017

Not so much a movie on Bob Dylan's life, this is a homage to Bob Dylan's music. Extremely well acted, photographed, scripted, it also incorporates Dylan's music naturally into it.

• Jul 11, 2017

I'm Not There is Todd Haynes's lyrical homage to Bob Dylan. It's beautifully and cleverly edited, visually fascinating and innovative, and filled with great music. It brilliantly casts Cate Blanchett and Marcus Carl Franklin to play some of the many parts of Dylan's personality. It's also occasionally random (what, a giraffe!), disagreeable, a bridge too far, and overly long.

• Jul 02, 2017

Todd Haynes' bold attempt to define the pivotal stages of Bob Dylan's capricious musical evolution with intertwining episodes of several personas and played by different actors defies the genre of biography and brings about a most surrealistic viewing experience.

• Mar 06, 2017

Ambition does not equal the audience caring or staying invested through this dull experiment.

• Oct 23, 2016

am vazut primele 30 de minute . interesanta poetica lui .

am vazut primele 30 de minute . interesanta poetica lui .