I'm Not There Reviews

• Aug 17, 2020

Unwatchable Garbage. Truly the worst movie I've ever watched.

Unwatchable Garbage. Truly the worst movie I've ever watched.

• Jun 24, 2020

unique does not equal good. I Love Dylan but this was unintentionally ridiculous. Cate Blanchett is especially terrible in this mess of a film.

• Mar 08, 2020

I didn't want to waste the $3.39 that I paid to rent it on Amazon, so I watched the whole thing. A total waste of time. If this guy was trying to do an impressionistic version of Dylan- they missed the boat by a zillion miles. The fact that it was nominated for awards is more proof it was a piece of crap. Twenty Million to make this? No wonder I don't watch movies

• Oct 29, 2019

Just when I thought I've seen every truly distasteful and boring film out there, "I'm Not There" appears out of nowhere and takes the number one spot. An abysmal, incoherent, confusing pile of shit that should never be watched again. The only redeemable quality was Cate Blanchett's acting, she does a phenomenal Bob Dylan to the point where I thought it was the man himself on more than one occasion. Other than that, this film is not worth a millisecond of your time, you will only be left confused and wanting a whole lot more. This is clear proof that the director and writers created this utter monstrosity with reckless abandon...

• Jul 30, 2019

Could not finish this. The film appears to be some weird homage to a troubled (at least at one time) man. That this man happened to pen some songs that were popular and influential seems tangential to the story - the filmmaker and actors involved seem to have a weird (that word again) fascination with posing for posing sake. This is one of the films that fans the stereotype of artists as hopelessly self-involved! The jumbled flashbacks, actors in extremely out-of-context roles and the other 'artsy' touches were just awful also. What a pile of crap!

• Mar 28, 2019

A brilliantly poetic imagery of Bob Dylan's many faces and phases.

A brilliantly poetic imagery of Bob Dylan's many faces and phases.

• Nov 06, 2018

Surreal. Not necessarily a good film, though it is interesting.

Surreal. Not necessarily a good film, though it is interesting.

• Apr 22, 2018

god rest his soul and his rudeness.. I'm Not There It is difficult to pull off a tale with multiple characters with various; someway interconnected, tale that is set in a poignant tone and still hold the audience for more than 2 hours even though it fails to connect with them easily. Todd Haynes; the writer-director, and Oren Moverman; the screenwriter's, script comes with a lot of instructions and requirement that is almost fulfilled while depicting it on screen but some of it feels missing too, in the end. On performance level, the feature scores majestically with the help of Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, Heath Ledger and Richard Gere. I'm Not There is a musical but not your typical one, it may comes off as cathartic in the end after surviving this empirical world of Todd Haynes in an overlong script that raises question whether it is worth it or not.

• Mar 15, 2018

As peculiar as the man himself.

As peculiar as the man himself.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Sep 21, 2017

Taking literally from it's subject matter, that which refuses to be classified and boxed, this is sort of a biography of Bob Dylan, whoever that is, which is the point of the work. And so the lead is played by six, count 'em, six actors, all working to convey some indefinable aspect about the man who certainly could be said to be one of the foremost to have formed 60's counterculture music, and more. It's the most interesting biography I've ever seen, so much so that I, a devoted Dylan denier, decided to rethink my denials. Okay, so maybe he is a phony, but he's a real phony, or maybe not. Whoever the guy is, his music, his art, speaks for itself. Give it a watch.