In Harm's Way Reviews

• Jun 08, 2020

It's really incredible that such an excellent cast was assembled for an independently made film! First off, this shouldn't be regarded as a "John Wayne Movie" because most of these extravagant war films of the 60's had no lead star and actors/actresses like Patricia Neal, Kirk Douglas, Burgess Meredith, and Paula Prentiss have an equal amount of screen time. I was disappointed with how undeveloped the plot seemed to be; just when I grasped the short-lived importance of a scene, the setting would change to different characters in the movie. It's like the producer of the movie couldn't make up his mind wether to make a wartime romance movie or strictly a war film. A mixture of the two styles simply doesn't work; especially not for a nearly 3 hour long movie. Unfortunately this continued throughout the entire running time of the film. However, I thought it was interesting that the credits are shown at the END of the movie instead of the traditional beginning; something pretty revolutionary for the time.

• Feb 03, 2020

Written by and produced for members of the "Greatest Generation", this is the last hurrah of epic black and white World War II combat movies. The list of then current and future stars in the movie would make a pretty good studio all by itself, and the multiple story lines gives them plenty of scenery to chew. Though thinly disguised, many of the characters, locations and plot angles would have been familiar to it's audience when produced. Purists will note the difficulty in staging such an epic tale at a time when much of WWII's ships and equipment was phasing out and unavailable for filming, especially the use of models during the climatic battle scene. Those same hard core action fans may also decry the soap operatic aspects of the plot which are interspersed between the shoot 'em up segments. For those who lived through the war, the strained marriages, affairs and heightened hormones will have a lot of truth to them, as every deployment meant a good chance it would be your last. The film improves with multiple viewings, in my opinion, and is a treat for amateur historians who enjoy seeing a glimpse of the tumultuous years of the early war in the Pacific. The good soundtrack and solid performances combine to make it a must see for fans of the stars, epic navy battles and wartime intrigue.

• Jan 12, 2020

WW2 subplot feeds soap opera. Duke deals with family and friends.

WW2 subplot feeds soap opera. Duke deals with family and friends.

• Dec 27, 2019

Really bad. Especially Kirk Douglas rape scene

Really bad. Especially Kirk Douglas rape scene

• Nov 20, 2019

One long bore, and I generally enjoy a good WW2 movie, considering the wealth of good stars. My pet hate was the use of Vietnam war era Ford Mutt's and the occasional ‘60's CJ Jeep - in place of the stalwart Willy's and Ford Jeeps that were commonplace in all other WW2 movies. This fact alone spoilt the realism, what there was of it. A film made for women to watch on a wet Sunday afternoon.

• Sep 27, 2019

This is my favorite WW2 movie made after the war. I read the comments of the critics and will agree that this is not like the ordinary "Sands of Iwo Jima" war flick. It's about the people more than the events. And the cast of this film really shines. Every character is fleshed out as we watch them change (for better or worse) in the face of a massive and terrible conflict tearing their lives apart. And special credit to Patricia Neal, who played a character so strong that it outshone John Wayne. Also props to Paula Prentiss who was the everywoman of this film, showing both strength and vulnerability. It's easy to see war without the people - some vast landscape of blood and sand. In Harm's Way put this under a magnifying glass and having a great cast made it work magnificently.

• Jun 30, 2019

Wrong movie on Xfinity!!!

Wrong movie on Xfinity!!!

• May 27, 2019

Outstanding naval war movie. Will acted and reflective of the generation in which it was filmed.

• Jul 31, 2018

Great cast. Entertaining flick!

Great cast. Entertaining flick!

• Jul 08, 2018