Inception - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Inception Reviews

July 21, 2016
I liked the concept of this film and the great actors.
July 19, 2016
Inception is an entertaining, mind blowing summer blockbuster which works very well.

This is about a thief who has the ability to access someone's dreams and steal info from them. After, he goes on one final mission, it becomes complicated as an outside force attempts to stop him and his team.

This is a mostly astonishing film. It requires the audience to remain on the edge of their seats in its entirety. Many modern summer blockbusters are thoughtless and hollow. It's great to see something of its complexity come out this time of the year. It's real refreshing.

The action is magnificent. It's done in a great way and the movie utilizes the dreams to make truly visually spectacular scenes. They aren't as revolutionary as The Matrix's visuals but they still are pretty great. Some of the best scenes include the zero gravity fight in the hallway and the van falling into the river in slow motion.

Although it's easy to get lost in Inception's plot, Christopher Nolan doesn't expect you to understand every element of this film. You just have to understand that this is a movie you have to watch again. But it's plot is handled with meticulous care.

But this movie isn't the best with character development. At first I was going to ignore this but now that I think of it - what exactly do we know about Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character? Most of the other characters were pushed aside and we didn't get any time to connect with them emotionally.

In conclusion, this is a pretty entertaining blockbuster. Sure, it's light on character development but it's still a highly entertaining blockbuster with an elaborate plot that works well.
½ July 17, 2016
Brilliant directing, action, and acting. All the characters are interesting and have great chemistry (albeit slightly cheesy at times). A great concept and I love comparing and contrasting this to Paprika.
July 16, 2016
Technically proficient as well as intelligently written and directed, Inception succeeds as an action-packed thriller and an engaging drama that resonates on an emotional level.
July 16, 2016
An Amazing Mind-Bender! I Loved It!

Originally Written July 16, 2010--

Dom Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a thief with the rare ability to enter people's dreams and steal their secrets from their subconscious. His skill has made him a hot commodity in the world of corporate espionage but has also cost him everything he loves. Cobb gets a chance at redemption when he is offered a seemingly impossible task: Plant an idea in someone's mind. If he succeeds, it will be the perfect crime, but a dangerous enemy anticipates Cobb's every move.

This film is an amazing mind-bender! I loved every second of it! Christopher Nolan is a visionary filmmaker and what he has done here is nothing short of incredible. Two thumbs way way up!
July 11, 2016
Thought it was alright. Probably won't see it again. I don't really understand how so many people got SO intrigued by the movie, it wasn't really for me, but whatever.
July 8, 2016
Very confusing but an amazing story.
July 6, 2016
Painful, gratuitous violence, overcomplicated, repetitive, too long, wank, hard to believe the good reviews. Some interesting ideas explored.
July 5, 2016
[*Spoiler* but c'mon it's old]
Did DiCaprio intentionally choose to create a successful outcome in his suspended subconscious, or was his team actually successful?
I.e. does the top ever stop spinning?
Did he actually get pardoned & make it stateside to his kids OR choose ignorant bliss & remain in his subconscious construction indefinitely?
@ChristopherNolan holla at me.
½ July 1, 2016
These people were really well rested.
June 26, 2016
Confusing, Complicated, A Little Boring but a Winner!
Best Scenery, Great actors, Really Great Directing, Complicated Plot and Further load more, Leonardo Di Capirco (Played as Cobb) Can almost be one of his best films and Honourably be a serious character.

This was a masterpiece!

Grade: A+
Cal
June 24, 2016
Very well thought out and VERY well put together! Just when I thought the movie couldn't introduce any more elements without losing control--they went a level deeper.

And the music alone is almost enough to warrant this score from me. I hear "inception" and I immediately hear that giant "BONNG do-do-do(etc.)" in my head. They are permanently inseparable.
June 24, 2016
the first chistopher movie nolan I watch and already impressed me with one of the 3 best movies I've ever watched and the best action movie, for me the strongest points of the film are the soundtrack and script, 5 stars.
June 23, 2016
Masterpiece. So amazing and so interesting. Couldn't look away!
June 22, 2016
Top 3 favourite movies
June 22, 2016
Christoper Nolan's masterpiece. Inception is a terrifically acted, thrilling and emotional roller coaster set in a truly unique setting; the mind.
June 21, 2016
It remains Christopher Nolan's best film. Inception is whip-smart, creative and complex.
June 17, 2016
One of the best movies of all time!!
June 15, 2016
Christopher Nolan's mind bending crime thriller achieves something special, it is both a big budget action thriller and a thought provoking piece centred on dreams and the perception of reality. Few films are able to appeal equally to both the popcorn movie goer wanting to see great explosions and the serious film lover who wants a complex and artistic piece that will be expertly constructed. Nolan first honed this unique ability with Batman Begins and perfected it with The Dark Knight, and with Inception he has created another masterpiece.

The riveting story follows Dom Cobb (the ever brilliant Leonardo DiCaprio), an expert at stealing hidden information from inside people's subconscious by entering their dreams, as he accepts the near impossible job of planting an idea inside someone's mind. It sounds complicated and a bit mind-boggling but Nolan skilfully meets the needs of casual viewers and those wanting more. There is a tad too much exposition at times but the complexities of dream heists are presented well. For those who embrace the story and its world, there is so much to take in and ponder, but the perfect pacing and expertly crafted action allows those who might get slightly lost at times to still have a fun experience. Although DiCaprio is the star, it is the perfectly chosen ensemble cast that make the film so convincing. Cillian Murphy and Marion Cotillard in particular are outstanding. It is not only the actors that are shared with The Dark Knight trilogy but also composer Hans Zimmer, who once again creates an atmospheric score that rounds out every scene beautifully.

I mentioned expertly crafted action because the film features such unique and well-made set pieces. The world of dreams is full of great potential and Nolan harnesses this. The highlight is the fight scene that takes place as gravity shifts around the characters, which was made with practical effects. This practicality makes it completely unforgettable. Even with a focus on practical effects where possible, the film uses ground-breaking GCI to convey the reality defying dream worlds.

On the flip side to collapsing buildings and fist fights is the insight into the human mind that the film explores so intriguingly. Dreams are still relatively mysterious and the film attempts to unlock some of these mysteries. The themes it explores go far deeper than regular blockbusters and the ending shot is a mind blowing moment that has rightfully caused so much debate over its meaning.

Despite its complexities, it is Inception's accessibility that lies at the heart of its brilliance. It asks you to think but equally wants you to sit back and enjoy what you are watching. Personally I thought it wasn't too action heavy or difficult to understand to put off either audience. It has something for everyone. It is expert filmmaking that can be enjoyed and discussed by all.
June 12, 2016
This movie didn't have the caliber of confusing I was expecting (everyone around me was saying they had no idea what was happening in the movie but I feel that was for the better because I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. It's smart, action-packed, and well-acted. It's also not terribly hard to follow. I guess I was preparing myself for Synechdoche, New York levels of confusing.