Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Reviews

½ November 6, 2017
An action packed adventure with interesting historical and religious elements. My favourite Indiana movie.
November 2, 2017
Much better than Temple
October 23, 2017
Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade: Taking the series back to the brisk of Raiders The Last Crusade is not as refined as the last two but its a worthy end.
½ October 18, 2017
It feels very much a retread of Raiders. But, that was a great movie, so it's not exactly as if that's a bad plan.
October 10, 2017
Almost as good as Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Last Crusade is yet another masterpiece from Spielberg.
½ October 9, 2017
Adjust your fedoras and crack your whip with excitement at this third film in the Indiana Jones series. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is an important film for the industry. With this movie, we are reminded that an already well-rounded franchise can still surprise audiences and get "bigger and better." While not being a trilogy in a traditional sense (one continuous story told in three films), each film in the series is interwoven with one another in multiple ways, despite being, for the most part, independent of each other (you do not need to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark to understand everything about the other two original movies). Continuing themes in the films are what help to hold them together; score and characters appearing in more than one film help with the all-around coherence of all three films. While still keeping the films mostly independent from each other, the occasional reference backwards in the series reminds viewers that this is the same world. Through the colorful cast, vibrant music, and comically wholesome story, we are taken once again into the pre-World War II life of Indiana Jones.

One of the incredible things that is always taken out of films is the score. John Williams returns to compose the film's musical stylings. With this job comes one of the most recognizable themes in film history. The march that accompanies Indiana Jones all around the world is iconic for all film enthusiasts, and even most people who have never seen any of the films. In this third iteration, Williams creates more masterfully written pieces that add a level of depth that only this composer can accomplish. Adventurous at one moment, and mysteriously grandiose the next. His music also conveys character emotion in ways that some other musicians only dream of, and this relationship is shown explicitly with the cast of the movie.

At the forefront of the movie, as well as the whole series, Harrison Ford portrays the charismatic and charming titular Indiana Jones. While the appearance of his "typical" female companion (played by Alison Doody) is welcome and expected in this feature, this is not the character dynamic that defines this movie. Sean Connery's portrayal of Henry Jones, Senior (Indy's father) makes this film stand out, as their dynamic carries the plot in a new way that the series had not attempted in the past. Other stars include returning Denholm Elliott and John Rhys-Davies as Marcus Brody and Sallah, respectively from Raiders. These characters help to bring familiarity to the film as well as providing suitable "bookends" to the series as they both appeared in the first and third films.
From a character standpoint, the villainous characters leave some things to be desired. The main villain played by Julian Glover could have played a larger role in the movie, but since his presence is not the main point of the film, his not perfect character is just bad enough to be believable, but is a footnote compared to the villains of the previous two films.

Some of the film aspects that critics say is that it is too similar to the original film. While some very general things can be considered the same, it is the expansions that are made to the series that allows for a much more interesting experience. The action is on par or better than the other two films, or at the very least has higher stakes for the characters involved. The plot moves forward by this action, as well as the characters' interactions with each other. Indy and his father both change for the better in the movie; they learn to respect each other and repair their relationship after years of separation; It is through this bond that ensures these first three movies have a satisfying conclusion.
October 1, 2017
Thanks to an emotional, spiritual, and well-developed plot, "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" it's an unforgettable adventure that surpasses the first two installments with great used of humor, action, and thrills. This is my favorite Indiana Jones flick because it focuses on the Bible (the Holy Grail) and the subject of belief. Two strong ideas that a lot of people can relate to. Filmmakers should always connect with audiences, and director Spielberg did just that. Bravo!
September 29, 2017
Indiana Jones there isn't much more to say that brill
September 25, 2017
Amazing movie, Ford and Connery have my vote for the best chemistry in movie history.
September 20, 2017
Second best Indy film after Raiders of the Lost Ark... 10/10
September 16, 2017
As the third film of this popular franchise has been brought to the big screen and is the last one to be made in this generation. This was a great action film and I loved how it didn't lose id's good quality of a kick butt character.
½ September 16, 2017
Number one is adventure, number two is frights, and number three is fun (they're all the three, but in different proportions). Sean Connery is the perfect acolyte to accompany Harrison Ford in this rich 'Last Crusade' which is pleasant from beginning to end and ranks among the most entertaining films I have seen. It's rich because it's a trip, like several movies in one, with definitely enough action, places and situations for several. Spielberg's 'Last Crusade' is, like its predecessors, a mainstream success which shows a third, comic aspect of the Indiana Jones franchise.
September 15, 2017
In my opinion, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is the best Indiana Jones movie. Yes, better than Raiders of the Lost Ark and DEFINITELY an improvement over that terrifying yet still somehow entertaining Temple of Doom movie. Good news, they got rid of Spielberg's wife and Indy's Chinese kid sidekick in this one. I definitely find this to be the funniest out of the three with Sean Connery's hilarious performance along with a father-like feel to Harrison Ford, who once again does another great job as Indy. The action sequences are as fun as always and there are humorous moments every now and then to lighten the tension. I doubt I'll ever see anything funnier in this franchise than Indy posing as a ticket checker and throwing a Nazi officer looking for the Joneses and after saying "no ticket" scares everyone into presenting their tickets. Hilarious. The Last Crusade: one of the best movie sequels ever made and one of my favourite Spielberg movies of all time.
September 11, 2017
It's hard to find a film who's stars had better chemistry than Ford and Connery had in this film.
September 3, 2017
Best of the four current films.
September 2, 2017
Now in the search for the Holy Grail, Indiana Jones shows us how great his father is and I wish we'd only have more of both of them. Sean Connery can inspire either courage and sweetness and the plot is really good. The visual effects are awesome in this movie.
½ August 19, 2017
My favourite of the three. It has plenty of action and a good mix of humour between Ford and Connery.
August 17, 2017
With thrilling action sequences, a well-thought out and interesting story with witty, funny dialogue, and a fantastic sidekick in Sean Connery as Indy's father, 'The Last Crusade' takes the best aspects of each of the two previous films and combines them to create the ultimate Indiana Jones tale and one of the most entertaining adventure films ever made. You can't come out of this not having had an absolute blast!
August 9, 2017
This is my favorite Indiana Jones movie out of them all! It is also pretty much in my Top 20 list of all time as well! This movie is everything and more that I could have hoped for. Even though it does get a bit silly from time to time, it never stopped entertaining me. This is worth watching many times!
August 4, 2017