Into The Abyss - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Into The Abyss Reviews

April 10, 2016
I'm glad that this was a documentary that stuck with facts, there was no side, no politics, just a gathering of information and interviews. it's rare to find an unbiased documentary these days, this was as close to unbiased as one cam get
March 13, 2016
This will stay with me for a while. Pretty unnerving......
½ March 3, 2016
Standard Werner with the weird questions but still pretty interesting for the interviews with all of the people involved in a horrific crime.
½ November 5, 2015
Well that was bleak. Thanks Werner!
August 22, 2015
8/21/15 Netflix
A profound and thought provoking look at capital punishment and all that

the individual violent crime touches, inmates, friends, relatives, corrections personnel and others. While Herzog seems to have a personal view of capital punishment he does not allow that to color his film. He presents all the sides in a full exploration and lets the viewer decide.
½ April 22, 2015
Wasn't as engaging as I was expecting it to be...too many droning violins.
½ April 11, 2015
Wow. Altamente recomendable.
March 31, 2015
A powerful meditation on the death penalty in America by Werner Herzog. Slow-paced but never boring.
½ March 19, 2015
Herzog states very early in this movie that he is adamantly against the death penalty. He spends the rest of the movie showing why he holds this opinion, not by his own explanations, but through interviewing people related to the crime the movie centers around.

Herzog doesn't villainize the criminals or the people who hold opinions contrary to his. He asks questions that allow them to be shown as the complex human beings they are.
March 3, 2015
It lost my interest halfway through, maybe even before. It tells you that execution is wrong but in the same time it shows you why it exists and should exist.
February 16, 2015
I felt like I was watching an identity crisis. Was this a documentary or anti-death penalty propaganda? Was this about putting a human face on the death penalty or a film about the crimes and evidence. Was s this film supposed to take an objective stance between the both sides or was the interviewer purposely leading the interviewees into a particular emotional set with their questions?

I feel I know nothing new about the death penalty and I certainly know nothing important about the victims or the inmates. Everything feels half explain!
½ January 17, 2015
A sobering look at the reality of a man facing his execution. Herzog brings nearly no prejudice into this insightful and unreserved documentary. You will leave this film with plenty to think about.
November 24, 2014
Relevant, stunning, even-toned and yet shocking upon reflection. This doc film by Herzog is revealing, intrusive and irreverent, and yet touchingly intriguing.
So honest, that the family members and other peripheral input glow - with candid, heartbreaking authenticity.
A marvel to behold with all sides given an unflinching voice surrounding the deaths of the three victims, and the execution of one of the accused. Outside of the Herzog's clear opinion against capital punishment, he gives each voice room for clear resonance - astonishing for this kind of reality filmmaking.
½ November 22, 2014
Thise time Herzog somehow didn't get me into the abyss...
½ October 22, 2014
With this film, Herzog takes an interesting approach to the controversy surrounding the death penalty: He lets the viewer decide. It's refreshing to see a documentary that doesn't take sides, that just leaves it's own preconceptions out of it. With this film, the lack of an agenda leaves bigger impression than if it would've been completely one sided, ala Michael Moore.

Very slow paced for a doc, this turned out to be highly enlightening. I wouldn't go so far as to call this film enjoyable, for obvious reasons, but it was impossible to look away.
September 28, 2014
I think part of the way this film works so successfully is by mirroring our own prurience. I am not claiming any exemption. The film is mesmeric. We can rationalise our interest as intellectual, as an appreciation of great film making, cinematography, etc, and it does stimulate on all of those levels, but in the end we are culture vultures looking at the celluloid remnants of real corpses. Herzog is largely forthright, compassionate and unsentimental- the sadness of lives lost get to echo and sound for themselves.
September 20, 2014
Hits you like a quiet storm -- riveting, intense, stirring.
September 17, 2014
Shook me to my core.
September 14, 2014
The entire time I was watching this, I was trying to figure out why exactly I didn't like it. Toward the end, it finally occurred to me that documentaries should be a statement of fact rather than an editorial, and this plays way more like an editorial. It's pretty much a commercial for the anti-death penalty movement, and while the filmmakers are certainly entitled to their opinion, it doesn't really have a lot of place in a documentary that's supposed to be about facts. Also, I have a really hard time taking pity on cold-blooded killers, so maybe it's just that the editorial was so much the opposite of my own beliefs. Either way, I was not a fan.