Into The Abyss - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Into The Abyss Reviews

January 22, 2017
A surprisingly compassionate, intimate look at capital punishment from the perspective of the perpetrators of some horrific crimes, as well as its victims.
½ January 5, 2017
Got redundant about halfway through.
December 5, 2016
A compelling look at capital punishment, even if Herzog clearly wants to convince us that it is wrong. Still, he also shows other people's opinions, allowing us to draw our own conclusions about the subject while raising an interesting discussion on the value of life.
November 5, 2016
The eerie, provocative "Into the Abyss" sees Werner Herzog explore the life, crimes, and conviction of a man on death row to ask the viewer to come to their own conclusion regarding the morality of capital punishment.
October 12, 2016
Understandably, Herzog often seems bewildered by the culture and the people he's examining, but he lets each person speak for themselves without really inserting himself into their narrative. In fact, there doesn't seem to be any agenda at work here other than to present this complicated and sad story to the audience. It's a gamble but it proves more empathetic than clinical.
½ October 6, 2016
Total honest portrait of a totally stupid serious of accidents with fatal end. Herzog is shedding light towards the capital punishment of death, interviewing both those behind and out of the bars.
April 10, 2016
I'm glad that this was a documentary that stuck with facts, there was no side, no politics, just a gathering of information and interviews. it's rare to find an unbiased documentary these days, this was as close to unbiased as one cam get
March 13, 2016
This will stay with me for a while. Pretty unnerving......
½ March 3, 2016
Standard Werner with the weird questions but still pretty interesting for the interviews with all of the people involved in a horrific crime.
½ November 5, 2015
Well that was bleak. Thanks Werner!
August 22, 2015
8/21/15 Netflix
A profound and thought provoking look at capital punishment and all that

the individual violent crime touches, inmates, friends, relatives, corrections personnel and others. While Herzog seems to have a personal view of capital punishment he does not allow that to color his film. He presents all the sides in a full exploration and lets the viewer decide.
½ April 22, 2015
Wasn't as engaging as I was expecting it to be...too many droning violins.
½ April 11, 2015
Wow. Altamente recomendable.
March 31, 2015
A powerful meditation on the death penalty in America by Werner Herzog. Slow-paced but never boring.
½ March 19, 2015
Herzog states very early in this movie that he is adamantly against the death penalty. He spends the rest of the movie showing why he holds this opinion, not by his own explanations, but through interviewing people related to the crime the movie centers around.

Herzog doesn't villainize the criminals or the people who hold opinions contrary to his. He asks questions that allow them to be shown as the complex human beings they are.
March 3, 2015
It lost my interest halfway through, maybe even before. It tells you that execution is wrong but in the same time it shows you why it exists and should exist.
February 16, 2015
I felt like I was watching an identity crisis. Was this a documentary or anti-death penalty propaganda? Was this about putting a human face on the death penalty or a film about the crimes and evidence. Was s this film supposed to take an objective stance between the both sides or was the interviewer purposely leading the interviewees into a particular emotional set with their questions?

I feel I know nothing new about the death penalty and I certainly know nothing important about the victims or the inmates. Everything feels half explain!
½ January 17, 2015
A sobering look at the reality of a man facing his execution. Herzog brings nearly no prejudice into this insightful and unreserved documentary. You will leave this film with plenty to think about.
November 24, 2014
Relevant, stunning, even-toned and yet shocking upon reflection. This doc film by Herzog is revealing, intrusive and irreverent, and yet touchingly intriguing.
So honest, that the family members and other peripheral input glow - with candid, heartbreaking authenticity.
A marvel to behold with all sides given an unflinching voice surrounding the deaths of the three victims, and the execution of one of the accused. Outside of the Herzog's clear opinion against capital punishment, he gives each voice room for clear resonance - astonishing for this kind of reality filmmaking.