Into the Wild - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Into the Wild Reviews

October 17, 2016
Made me want to make the commitment to hike the AT.
October 15, 2016
Interesting biopic with no shortage of amazing scenery and unique philosophical meanderings.
October 6, 2016
Great book rendered into a really good film.
October 1, 2016
A life changing movie
September 5, 2016
One of my favorite movies. FTW
August 27, 2016
A beautiful tale of adventure and the importance of human connection.
½ August 12, 2016
I fucking love this movie! This movie is motivation and really puts another perspective on life! Based on a true story this film was awesome. Eye catcher as soon as you lay your eyes on your screen!
August 2, 2016
"Into the Wild" has it's flaws, but it's a profound fact-based film about self-discovery and the human condition and I hope everyone gets the chance to see it.
July 31, 2016
A journey not everybody needs to take, but some questions we all come through sooner or later.
July 28, 2016
Poignant, moving and litrered with superb performances throughout. Recommended.
July 19, 2016
This is a well-written tale which is a poignant and moving character study. It may not appeal to all fans of the survival genre but it is still an amazing movie which is an emotional ride.

Graduated student Christopher McCandless donates all of his money to charity and begins to set out to live in the Alaskan wild. Along the way, he meets a series of people who change his life.

Its story is very deep. It's a story of following a path that you choose for yourself. I always like it when movie's have deep plots which make you think. Christopher says that he feels career's are a 20th-century invention and he wants no part of that and I sort of agree with him. Its story is really important because it revolves around and talks about the opinion that many people have.

The acting is near perfect from Emile Hirsch. Many of the other actors give superb roles as well. There weren't any actors who gave performances that were less than great.

Of course though, this movie isn't for anyone because most of the movie featured flashbacks leading up to it. It's not necessarily a bad thing but it does mean that it is more slower-paced than most movies in the genre. Also, there were a few parts which I felt were a bit too slow and boring. Luckily though, the movie didn't feature these too much and it was still able to keep my interest. It's just not the most exciting move in the genre.

Also on a side note, I recommend that you don't read the critic reviews because many of them contain spoilers. I usually trust the critics but in this case I'd say ignore them just for this movie.

So in conclusion, this is a fantastic character study which contains great lessons and it may affect you greatly depending on what you believe. It may be slower-paced at times but it's still a must-watch.
½ July 16, 2016
Lukewarm, ever-growingly boring and with a lot of at first annoying but in the end downright ridiculous pseudo-intellectual tendencies. The makers of this film seem to think they know the meaning of life, but all I know is that I lost 148 minutes from my own life. Even Joaquin Phoenix lookalike Emile Hirsch couldn't keep me going. If only he possessed not only good looks but also notable skills...
½ July 14, 2016
Into the Wild is an odd, hipster film that beats to its own drum, much like its main character, but that doesn't stop it from being just as engaging and thought-provoking as the book that inspired it. It's different, but I liked it. It's an outdoors, woodsy, weird, haven't showered in five days sort of movie. It's an elusive, edgy character study that follows Alex Supertramp as he abandons society and finds his new self in the wilderness, among strangers. It has some beautiful cinematography in the American countryside and Alaskan winter wilderness, but it also has some odd plotting and editing. The story bounces all over in both place and time, so it never really allows the audience to orient themselves. Alex is very interesting as a character, he abandons normality searching for happiness and freedom and independence and partially finds them. He rejects things like titles, honors, money. He likes getting to know people, but leaves when he gets too close and enjoys being alone.

I think the film, as odd and as hard to pin down as it is, is meant to inspire and caution the audience. It's exhilarating to watch Alex as he adventures and conquers new horizons, but it's also sad to watch him slowly detach himself from the world and become very alone. I guess what I took from it was that you have to live life and go after what makes you happy, but you have to do it reasonably with the people you love. One thing I didn't appreciate was the melodramatic narration of his sister in the background, i felt that was irritating and could've been done some other way. The film also lacked focus and was sort of a collage of adventures rather than a story. They all revealed different aspects of his character and had meaning, but they weren't exactly cohesive.
July 11, 2016
Life is incredibly short. So Live
Mark H.
½ June 26, 2016
Fantastic realization of the novel of the same name about Christopher McCandless, who at age 22 and disillusioned by his parent's deception about his father's polygamy, abandons his comfortable upper-class life immediately upon graduating from college to explore the country largely on foot. He spends the first 2 years moving around the western states, taking various jobs and living off the land for weeks at a time. He travels down the Colorado River by kayak, and, after wandering for nearly 2 years, decides to travel to Alaska to attempt to live off the land for several months. The film is very well made, the performances, especially young Emile Hirsch, are very authentic and affecting. Backed by an incredible soundtrack of original songs by Eddie Vedder, this is a great movie about a somewhat lost soul, but someone most people can relate to at some point in their lives, who is merely searching for what he calls "truth." This film makes me question my own choices and lifestyle, which must say something about the power of this film. The end is tragic, but almost necessarily so. Would we have ever known of McCandless, aka "Alexander Supertramp," had he not perished alone in an abandoned bus in the Alaskan wild? This is a compelling story that is, understandably, quite polarizing. Opinions vary greatly about Alex and his journey. One thing is undeniable - he had the courage and principles which few have at age 22 to walk into the world alone and try to discovery who he was. Sean Penn pays the proper respect to the life of one young man who, right or wrong, chose to live a certain life instead of being told what kind of life to live, particularly by those he no longer trusted or respected.
June 20, 2016
There has been very few films that are as spellbinding as this. All the differvent film aspects along with penn's impeccable directing and the performance of a lifetime by Emile Hirshe combine in a way that is rarely ever seen making this one of the most thought provoking films I've ever seen. There wasn't a single moment I wasn't going through emotions. Whether you admire Mcandless or not isn't the point. This is the kind film that has rarely been seen before and will rarely be seen again.
June 5, 2016
Indescribably brilliant.
½ June 5, 2016
I was going to say 3.0 but changed my mind. Lost soul, mental health issue, who knows, but a tragic death of a smart young man. He didn't believe touching peoples' lives was a reason for life but he touched so many (might be the whole point behind the movie). After graduating college and intelligent young lad goes in search of...something, meaning, but instead finds death in Alaska. Sad but true.
½ June 3, 2016
Into the Wild is an amazing film. It is about Christopher McCandless who abandons his possessions and hitchhikes to Alaska to live in the wilderness. Emile Hirsch and Vince Vaughn give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Sean Penn did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the adventure. Into the Wild is a must see.