Into the Wild - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Into the Wild Reviews

½ May 23, 2017
One man's search for family and himself . if you like Jack Kerouac and Robert M Pirsig you'll like this. Great stuff.
May 21, 2017
I think the movie is an interesting experience overall. There are some magnificent shots and the story kept me engaged for the most part. I just couldn't really get into the movie, because I really did not like the main character. I know he is based on a real person and I don't blame the filmmakers for portraying him as they did. I found him to be pretentious and never really understood why he was doing what he was doing. He constantly complains about society and his family with his actions. I felt more for the other characters in this movie. I think it is a fascinating movie but I didn't ever really feel for the protagonist since everything that happens to him is due to his own doing.
½ May 18, 2017
Sean Penn is an actor who can be kindly described as 'hot-headed', and as a filmmaker he can be equally kindly described as 'mindlessly self-indulgent'. Into The Wild tells one of the most fascinating stories of the past few decades, charting the journey of a young, gifted individual who shirks all the complications and oppressions of modern life and sets out on a spiritual odyssey to discover himself and his true place in the world. Or something like this. In the hands of a less egotistical director this could have been great, an insight into the inner soul of the modern world's disillusioned young adults, but with Penn at the helm it comes across as a rich, spoiled brat running away from home because he thinks that what the cool people do. It's so full of flashy editing and unnecessarily fancy camera tricks that I started thinking I was watching 25th Hour. It would all have been so much better if we could get a closer look at our hero's true personality and learn much more about him, but with scenes constantly cutting away before they feel like they're finished, it's very difficult to empathise with him. The motivation for his trip is poorly explained and the obtrusive and grating narration is so excessive that it put Terrence Malick to shame. It is well acted and beautifully photographed, but there's only so many times you can look at a single mountain range before it becomes tiresome. I haven't read the book, but I suspect it's far better than this pretentious, long-winded and grotesquely long snooze fest.
May 13, 2017
Me encantó. Me dio una cierta envidia de la fuerza que hay que tener para desprenderse de lo mundano e innecesario e irse a vivir con los recursos que la naturaleza nos ofrece y con los mínimos acomodamientos. Por otro lado, fotografía, exteriores, música, personajes. Me encantó.
½ May 11, 2017
The positives - lustrous photography, excellent performances - particularly Emile Hirsch as the questing and questioning central character, and a late appearance by the great Hal Holbrook - unfortunately can't distract from the negatives - self-indulgent direction, crammed with irritating directorial tics, and a queasy pretentiousness in the screenplay. It's a shame, because the true story is fascinating. Just think what a Werner Herzog would have made with the same source material.
May 10, 2017
When we see how much father's are for sons, we need not go into the wild. When we see we come from a loving home, wealth, and knowledge to leave it all behind for nothing that nature can't solve from within.
May 1, 2017
Well, i'm definitely not going to write a review for a more-than-2
hours of piece of shit like this movie was for me. More than
irresponsible, this "wise man" (WHY PEOPLE ACTUALLY FIND HIM WISE?????)
just thought that he could live on wild without a minimal knowledge or
experience.

Why is he called a hero by a lot of people???? This is just non-sense!
Ignorance! Just waste of money! Just who in the earth was he? His life
is just nothing, the treatment he gave to his parents, just
HIPOCRITICAL!!!

I really don't understand why the movie gives the impression that i
must be born from a "civil-rightful-pattern-boxed" marriage. Bastards?
Excuse me b**ch! Why is that supposed to be something traumatic? Wasn't
he the on who took "A" on his social grades, most with African works?

So what's the point on wait 4 SHI**Y YEARS to graduate and....... Run
away? Sorry, but don't think there is some philosophy, please.
½ April 29, 2017
Phony society, we reject your false values! Or so said The Fleshtones. Here, Christopher Johnson McCandless (a real person whose story was told first in a book by Jon Krakauer and then in this movie by Sean Penn) follows suit (with no reference to the '80s band, of course). Perhaps the clearer link is to Bob Rafelson's Five Easy Pieces (1970) which saw Jack Nicholson escaping his upper crust existence to work on oil rigs and date waitress Karen Black. Except in Into the Wild, the rejection of the materialistic parents (Marcia Gay Harden and William Hurt) is only part of the story and instead it is the rejection of the materialistic culture as a whole that is the focus. McCandless, dubbing himself Alexander Supertramp (and played by Emile Hirsch), really did burn all his money and set off for Alaska to try self-sufficient living "off the grid" (a term not invented in 1990-92 when the events took place). The film bounces back and forth between scenes of Chris/Alex at his "Magic Bus" abode alone in the North, living off plants and animals that he kills and the two-year journey across the US (and Mexico) that led him to that point. He meets a number of other "fellow travellers", mostly hippies living commune-style with others (Catherine Keener and Kristen Stewart included) but also blue collar rebel Vince Vaughn and elderly loner Hal Holbrook. They all have their stories to tell that add a critical perspective to Chris's choices. Director Penn experiments with different cinematic techniques and styles (slo-mo, jump cuts, split-screen, superimposed text, etc.) in the different parts of the film which works well to hold interest (the whole thing runs 2 1/2 hours) and Eddie Vedder's raw folksongs infuse everything with a certain mood. Sometimes things feel truly ecstatic. However, in the end, the film succeeds so well because it raises so many complex issues. First, it encourages us to question the goals of our society and our own behaviors that contribute to its materialism (which is destroying the environment, hastening climate change, creating economic inequality, destroying souls by undermining human relationships, etc.). Second, in contrast to the first, it asks whether complete rejection of society is the right choice or whether there could be other choices. Third, it contemplates whether a crusading quest for a sense of meaning is a hallmark of youth and whether people become complacent as they age. Fourth, it lets us think about the relationship between humans and "the wild" (and the on-location cinematography is often breath-taking) - are we exploiters, could we survive on our own without our "tribe", are we social animals? McCandless's provocative decisions (which are undoubtedly echoed by those joining the growing vegan movement and "occupying" various cities) are a very thought-provoking inspiration for a film that will certainly have you questioning your own existence.
½ April 16, 2017
Alexander Supertramp was as unusual as his chosen name. I found the story of his life interesting, and I thought Emile Hirsch did a great job of portraying his independent spirit. I could see why he was so disillusioned by the world we live in, and I liked the scenes from the early parts of his life because they gave some strong insight into why he became this man. I also appreciated the non-linear structure of the film because it breaks up some of the slower parts of the story.

The unfortunate reality is that there are a lot of slow parts in Into the Wild. I got the idea of the journey and how he lived his life early but we continue to see it all unfold gradually. There is maybe one piece of information that is revealed that I found interesting, but otherwise there is not much that surprised or deepened the story for me. It was mostly a long road trip movie where he'd meet one group of people after another and then leave them.

The entire film seemed to center around the ways Alexander affected the lives of others because he changed very little himself. Towards the end it seemed that might change and Alexander was going to experience some growth, maybe even have an arc. Sadly, nothing resolves. There is no satisfying finale, there is no uplifting moment to inspire hope, it just ends. I know this is a symptom of basing a film on a true story, but it left me feeling hollow.

Delving into spoilers for a moment, I must admit Into the Wild also bothered me slightly because it did something I deeply dislike. In movies based on a true story, I hate when they try to reenact what happened as if it was factual when all the concerned parties did not survive. Like the entirety of the movie A Perfect Storm, all these scenes (at least from the Magic Bus on) are just supposition based on a few short notes scrawled in a journal. It's probably a silly pet peeve, but that has always annoyed me. I can't say I actively disliked Into the Wild as a film, because I was invested in the main character's journey, I just didn't love the overall story as it was presented.
½ April 16, 2017
This is an undeniably well-made film. It looks great and has some really good performances. There's no excuse for it's 2 1/2 hour running time as it has a tendency to hopelessly meander when it would be better to get to the point, but that's not a giant flaw. The film does have one giant flaw though ... it's a hopelessly muddle-headed irresponsible film that glorifies a delusional, self-destructive idiot. That's a pretty big flaw. What's puzzling about the film is that Penn seems to understand on some level that McCandless is delusional. McCandless rails against his parents, but as depicted in the film, they seem a bit unhappy and stodgy, but basically good people. The film repeatedly shows you people happily living lives outside the mainstream, but refuses to acknowledge that this strongly implies that McCandless's self-destructive odyssey is hopelessly wrong-headed. This is essentially "Grizzly Man" made by somebody who refuses to acknowledge that it's protagonist is crazy.
½ April 4, 2017
This is a well-written tale which is a poignant and moving character study. It may not appeal to all fans of the survival genre but it is still an amazing movie which is an emotional ride.

Graduated student Christopher McCandless donates all of his money to charity and begins to set out to live in the Alaskan wild. Along the way, he meets a series of people who change his life.

Its story is very deep. It's a story of following a path that you choose for yourself. I always like it when movie's have deep plots which make you think. Christopher says that he feels career's are a 20th-century invention and he wants no part of that and I sort of agree with him. Its story is really important because it revolves around and talks about the opinion that many people have.

The acting is near perfect from Emile Hirsch. Many of the other actors give superb roles as well. There weren't any actors who gave performances that were less than great.

Of course though, this movie isn't for anyone because most of the movie featured flashbacks leading up to it. It's not necessarily a bad thing but it does mean that it is more slower-paced than most movies in the genre. Also, there were a few parts which I felt were a bit too slow and boring. Luckily though, the movie didn't feature these too much and it was still able to keep my interest. It's just not the most exciting move in the genre.

Also on a side note, I recommend that you don't read the critic reviews because many of them contain spoilers. I usually trust the critics but in this case I'd say ignore them just for this movie.

So in conclusion, this is a fantastic character study which contains great lessons and it may affect you greatly depending on what you believe. It may be slower-paced at times but it's still a must-watch.
March 12, 2017
Finally managed to watch this, old news but Good film. beautiful in a lot of ways.

however not that sure about the biographical story, rather controversial .
what do people think of it ( the film ?)

Tremendously sad film though I thought in many ways. not about the guy as much but the whole society.. Kind of asks the question : Are we trapped into the society ? ( film has a line where he says he is literally 'trapped into the wild ' .. do humans always feel trapped no matter where they are perhaps until they can forgive and love ?..
#thoughtprovoking
March 6, 2017
A journey of Calvin and his adventures in the wild, Sean Penn delivers a well-adapted film of a man wanting to be free in his life of materialism, responsibility, and crappy parents
½ January 31, 2017
At times it reads a little like a poor reenactment and at times fails to portray the complexity that was McCandless. However, Holbrook's performance is a hidden gem and tonally, as a whole, the film comes hits similar notes to Krauker's essay. Once you get past the awkward extended close ups on Stewart and Hirsch.

Hal Holbrook
½ January 4, 2017
running away from what i personally call the so empty life, a young man runs away leaving everything behind....The most beautiful thing about this movie is the music, Marcia Gay Harden (as usual delivering another classic & classy performance) and how life can be so simple...
½ December 3, 2016
Stellar performance.
November 19, 2016
don't think i loved it but had some redeeming qualities.
½ November 18, 2016
"Happiness is only real, when SHARED"
November 6, 2016
Película que siempre vuelve a la mente (siempre vuelve a transformarte). La búsqueda de lo auténtico y de la belleza. La búsqueda de lo que significa y es vivir. Una de mis películas favoritas. Sincera.

Huir de lo banal. ¿La felicidad en la soledad? Naturaleza, belleza, ¿amor? Inspirado por Tolstoi, Jack London y Thoreau. El "estado de naturaleza" enfrentado ante la auténtica felicidad, la superior: el amor.

"Happiness is only real when shared".
November 5, 2016
Absorbing recounting about the extraordinary and tragic adventure of Christopher McCandless