Into the Wild - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Into the Wild Reviews

½ April 16, 2017
Alexander Supertramp was as unusual as his chosen name. I found the story of his life interesting, and I thought Emile Hirsch did a great job of portraying his independent spirit. I could see why he was so disillusioned by the world we live in, and I liked the scenes from the early parts of his life because they gave some strong insight into why he became this man. I also appreciated the non-linear structure of the film because it breaks up some of the slower parts of the story.

The unfortunate reality is that there are a lot of slow parts in Into the Wild. I got the idea of the journey and how he lived his life early but we continue to see it all unfold gradually. There is maybe one piece of information that is revealed that I found interesting, but otherwise there is not much that surprised or deepened the story for me. It was mostly a long road trip movie where he'd meet one group of people after another and then leave them.

The entire film seemed to center around the ways Alexander affected the lives of others because he changed very little himself. Towards the end it seemed that might change and Alexander was going to experience some growth, maybe even have an arc. Sadly, nothing resolves. There is no satisfying finale, there is no uplifting moment to inspire hope, it just ends. I know this is a symptom of basing a film on a true story, but it left me feeling hollow.

Delving into spoilers for a moment, I must admit Into the Wild also bothered me slightly because it did something I deeply dislike. In movies based on a true story, I hate when they try to reenact what happened as if it was factual when all the concerned parties did not survive. Like the entirety of the movie A Perfect Storm, all these scenes (at least from the Magic Bus on) are just supposition based on a few short notes scrawled in a journal. It's probably a silly pet peeve, but that has always annoyed me. I can't say I actively disliked Into the Wild as a film, because I was invested in the main character's journey, I just didn't love the overall story as it was presented.
½ April 16, 2017
This is an undeniably well-made film. It looks great and has some really good performances. There's no excuse for it's 2 1/2 hour running time as it has a tendency to hopelessly meander when it would be better to get to the point, but that's not a giant flaw. The film does have one giant flaw though ... it's a hopelessly muddle-headed irresponsible film that glorifies a delusional, self-destructive idiot. That's a pretty big flaw. What's puzzling about the film is that Penn seems to understand on some level that McCandless is delusional. McCandless rails against his parents, but as depicted in the film, they seem a bit unhappy and stodgy, but basically good people. The film repeatedly shows you people happily living lives outside the mainstream, but refuses to acknowledge that this strongly implies that McCandless's self-destructive odyssey is hopelessly wrong-headed. This is essentially "Grizzly Man" made by somebody who refuses to acknowledge that it's protagonist is crazy.
½ April 4, 2017
This is a well-written tale which is a poignant and moving character study. It may not appeal to all fans of the survival genre but it is still an amazing movie which is an emotional ride.

Graduated student Christopher McCandless donates all of his money to charity and begins to set out to live in the Alaskan wild. Along the way, he meets a series of people who change his life.

Its story is very deep. It's a story of following a path that you choose for yourself. I always like it when movie's have deep plots which make you think. Christopher says that he feels career's are a 20th-century invention and he wants no part of that and I sort of agree with him. Its story is really important because it revolves around and talks about the opinion that many people have.

The acting is near perfect from Emile Hirsch. Many of the other actors give superb roles as well. There weren't any actors who gave performances that were less than great.

Of course though, this movie isn't for anyone because most of the movie featured flashbacks leading up to it. It's not necessarily a bad thing but it does mean that it is more slower-paced than most movies in the genre. Also, there were a few parts which I felt were a bit too slow and boring. Luckily though, the movie didn't feature these too much and it was still able to keep my interest. It's just not the most exciting move in the genre.

Also on a side note, I recommend that you don't read the critic reviews because many of them contain spoilers. I usually trust the critics but in this case I'd say ignore them just for this movie.

So in conclusion, this is a fantastic character study which contains great lessons and it may affect you greatly depending on what you believe. It may be slower-paced at times but it's still a must-watch.
March 12, 2017
Finally managed to watch this, old news but Good film. beautiful in a lot of ways.

however not that sure about the biographical story, rather controversial .
what do people think of it ( the film ?)

Tremendously sad film though I thought in many ways. not about the guy as much but the whole society.. Kind of asks the question : Are we trapped into the society ? ( film has a line where he says he is literally 'trapped into the wild ' .. do humans always feel trapped no matter where they are perhaps until they can forgive and love ?..
#thoughtprovoking
March 6, 2017
A journey of Calvin and his adventures in the wild, Sean Penn delivers a well-adapted film of a man wanting to be free in his life of materialism, responsibility, and crappy parents
½ January 31, 2017
At times it reads a little like a poor reenactment and at times fails to portray the complexity that was McCandless. However, Holbrook's performance is a hidden gem and tonally, as a whole, the film comes hits similar notes to Krauker's essay. Once you get past the awkward extended close ups on Stewart and Hirsch.

Hal Holbrook
½ January 4, 2017
running away from what i personally call the so empty life, a young man runs away leaving everything behind....The most beautiful thing about this movie is the music, Marcia Gay Harden (as usual delivering another classic & classy performance) and how life can be so simple...
½ December 3, 2016
Stellar performance.
November 19, 2016
don't think i loved it but had some redeeming qualities.
½ November 18, 2016
"Happiness is only real, when SHARED"
November 6, 2016
Película que siempre vuelve a la mente (siempre vuelve a transformarte). La búsqueda de lo auténtico y de la belleza. La búsqueda de lo que significa y es vivir. Una de mis películas favoritas. Sincera.

Huir de lo banal. ¿La felicidad en la soledad? Naturaleza, belleza, ¿amor? Inspirado por Tolstoi, Jack London y Thoreau. El "estado de naturaleza" enfrentado ante la auténtica felicidad, la superior: el amor.

"Happiness is only real when shared".
November 5, 2016
Absorbing recounting about the extraordinary and tragic adventure of Christopher McCandless
November 2, 2016
This is the greatest movie of all time.
November 1, 2016
Sean Penn writes and directs the ambitious 'Into the Wild' but despite beautiful, it bites off more than it can chew. I know that for this to make money and have a wider release it needed some cameos from stars, but a few just seemed out of place and forced. Our lead, Emile Hirsch just didn't do it for me. He tries, but I wasn't buying him. My favorite part of the movie was the scenes with Hal Holbrook. There was something special about those few minutes. Overall there were not enough of those moments. Catch it on cable, but DVR it.
October 28, 2016
A spellbinding masterpiece featuring a transcendent central performance by Emile Hirsch. "Into the Wild" is a great film,
October 17, 2016
Made me want to make the commitment to hike the AT.
October 15, 2016
Interesting biopic with no shortage of amazing scenery and unique philosophical meanderings.
October 6, 2016
Great book rendered into a really good film.
October 1, 2016
A life changing movie
September 5, 2016
One of my favorite movies. FTW