The Iron Giant - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Iron Giant Reviews

½ January 21, 2018
Warner Bros. took a chance with Brad Bird's animated feature which is a surprising combination of past and future. It is a great example of evolving into modern animation, while also providing some complex narratives that belong in a period piece. Brad Bird's directorial debut shares his love for adapting the new and old in ways that are more pure than most animated movies at the time would portray.
½ December 31, 2017
A timely classic that'll resonate with kids and find a way into the hearts of adults.

"Iron Giant" is based upon the 1968 story,'Iron Man,' by the British poet laureate Ted Hughes. The film is about a giant metal machine that drops from the sky and frightens a small town in Maine in 1958, only to find a friend named, Hogarth, that ultimately finds its humanity and saving the towns people of their fears and prejudices.

I remember watching this as a kid and being in love with it. Its beautiful animation, its joyous laughs, the fun characters, and a big lovable giant. I feel like this was the "Big Hero 6" of the 1990's. What's not to like about this film? Not only is it a classic animation, but it's genuinely just an all around great film.

Brad Bird has delivered plenty of great films throughout his lifetime. However, what we have here MIGHT be one of my favorite films that he's ever created. I don't know if it is, but it's damn near close. One of my favorite things about this story is honestly the simplicity of it. A young boy befriends an Iron Giant from outer space, wondering how he'll fit into society and how other people will view him. It's a simple, fun, adventurous premise that knows what it is and executes. It's a fun story that I think everyone can enjoy, but it has some really nice themes inside that I think are really beneficial for younger generations.

I forgot just how funny this film was because I had some genuinely good laughs throughout. I was smiling for most the film and laughing throughout the rest. It's just fun and that's the best word I can use to describe it. One of my favorite feelings is to be able to watch a film from my childhood and still smile at just how much I love it. There was a lot of nostalgia in watching it and the fact that it also holds up really well is a pleasant aspect.

Purchasing the newly released blu-ray for the re-release of this film, I've got to say that it looks pretty damn good. The animation looks like how it was back then (an older cartoon), but the animation is really fluid, the environments are well developed, and the characters look great. The film looks great and I feel like with all of these different aspects combined, it'll help this film last throughout the years.

Talk about voice actors. I legitimately thought Eli Marienthal was phenomenal. He brought so much to his role and made his character so fun. His emotions and excitement made it seem like he was a real kid living out this scenario. Him, along with the rest of the talent all did great. They all bring so much fun and personality just with their voices and it makes the experience so much more fun.

In the end, "The Iron Giant" is a favorite and certainly a classic animation.
December 27, 2017
A thought provoking animated movie that's great for kids and adults.
December 24, 2017
"The Iron Giant" is an animated feature with brains and heart. The movie delivers a classic message in an inventive and unique way. The movie still resonates today even with old-school animation techniques, which are nonetheless impressive for the time. I felt the ending of the movie could have been something truly impactful and heartbreaking but there is something additionally thrown in that kind of takes away from it. I still like that the movie is pretty open-ended in its conclusion. It is a movie that is a classic for a good reason and will continue to stand the test of time because of how original, intelligent, and emotionally conscious it is.
½ December 24, 2017
This movie was a long time coming for me as a huge fan of not only films but also animation, giant mechs, and Superman who has a surprisingly large role in the movie even if he is not present in the film. The Iron Giant is a great exploration into the dark and terrifying times of the Cold War era that really explores a fear that humans persist to have to this day, the fear of the unknown and the tendency of humans to assume certain things or make rash and hasty decisions that result in negative consequences. The film is also sort of anti-war in a way in the way that the film ends. I thought the film was visually stunning, I enjoyed all of the characters, and I thought the concept of the movie was genius. My only gripe with it was the final shot of the film which really takes the tragic ending and gives it a happy go lucky feel that doesn't do that anti-war, pro-acceptance message any justice. Great animated film overall and a must watch for anyone who enjoys animation, robots, cold war era movies, or just enjoys a surprisingly deep film.
½ November 17, 2017
1957, the Russians have just launched Sputnik and Cold War fear and paranoia is the order of the day. Hogarth Hughes lives with his mom, Annie, in the small town of Rockwell, Maine. One day a very large robot lands on earth from outer space. After some adventures, Hogarth befriends the robot. However, the US government has sent a special agent to investigate the strange occurrences in the area (unbeknownst to them, caused by the robot) and his intentions towards what's causing the phenomena are less benevolent.

Predictable and dull. Quite conventional, linear story with an overused, unoriginal story line. Replace the robot with any other harmless creature that a kid might befriend but the authorities will be suspicious of and you have the plot for heaps of children's movies. Doesn't add anything new or profound and is only mildly entertaining.

Kids should like it though. Is essentially a made-for-kids movie and they won't be disappointed.
October 11, 2017
I watched this movie in 7th grade and loved it. Watching it again 5 years later made me love it even more. What an amazing and powerful movie that will always stay in my heart forever
October 5, 2017
10 out of 10:

An absolutely unforgettable experience, The Iron Giant is sweet, poignant, and filled with gorgeous animation.
September 25, 2017
Overall a great movie about a boy and his robot! It has humor, action, emotion to spare,but still tells its story fantastically!
September 16, 2017
"The Iron Giant", released in 1999 follows a boy who befriends an iron giant that has fallen out of the sky overnight. For me, the movie made me feel indifferent overall. It was an enjoyable film, however, I didn't feel as intrigued with the story as much as I would have liked to be. However, the film was insightful as to the fear and the threats that people experienced during the Cold War. The threat of nuclear bombing, and kids having to be taught how to protect themselves should a bombing occur was the reality then, and a scary one at that.

The film "The Iron Giant" fits into the animation genre in a different capacity. Nowadays, we are so used to the Disney/Pixar style of animation that is more vibrant and lively, where the style of animation that "The Iron Giant" employs is more of a classic animation. It reminds me of how movies like "Lady and the Tramp" and "The Rescuers" were animated. To me, I feel that the animation style used fits the tone of the movie, in that the movie isn't happy go lucky, so much as it is on the darker side with the subject matter that it explores.

I feel that "The Iron Giant" could have done better with some sound editing changes. It might have just been my TV, but it felt like the dialogue of the movie and the sound effects of the movie were on two completely different levels and I had to constantly adjust my volume. I also felt that Kent the detective staying at Hogarth's house kind of came out of nowhere. It felt bizarre to me that a single mom would all of a sudden let this random man spend so much time in her house with her only child.

I did appreciate the character evolution of the giant. It was great to see how he handled different situations. When Hogarth and the giant were playing in the metal yard, Hogarth points a toy gun at the giant and the giant reacts how he was programmed to, which is to destroy any threats. By the end of the movie, as the giant is flying in the sky trying to protect Hogarth from the army that is chasing them, one of the planes fires at the two of them and the giant's eyes start to narrow, as if to shoot his laser at the planes. Instead, the giant holds back, realizing that that isn't the way to handle the situation. I watched the film many times as a kid, and that was a piece that I had never noticed until now!
September 10, 2017
One my top 10 for sure. Animation prestine , characters likable and storyline interesting and heart warming. Worth a watch always .
September 10, 2017
My all time favorite cartoon movie!!
½ August 24, 2017
Thrillingly animated and heartfelt, this kid adventure film also has good messages and humor to spare.
½ August 18, 2017
Beautifully animated with that old-school feel, 'The Iron Giant' is a moving and wildly entertaining story with a number of deep messages to impart, as well as a bunch of memorable characters. For younger viewers, it's a great adventure with a strong friendship at its centre; for adults, it reminds you of all that and the simpler times it represented, hitting you right in that nostalgic sweet spot. This really is one that can be watched and thoroughly enjoyed at all ages.
August 14, 2017
Remarkable movie... one of the best memories of my childhood..
July 13, 2017
A movie with a giant sized heart. A must see!
July 6, 2017
Uma explosão de emoções
July 5, 2017
The Iron Giant:

Pros:
- Brilliant Voice Acting

- Terrific Script

- Mature Plot

- Great Animation

- Ambitious Themes

- Complex Relationships between the main characters

- Fantastic Directing

Cons:
- None

Overall Grade: A+ (10/10)
July 4, 2017
Good emotional animated tale starring vin diesel as the iron Giant. As a child, I never saw this movie and now all grown up and now that I have finally seen it, I liked it. The kid in this movie is cringe at times but all kids in movies are cringe at times. The animation is a little weird but it's warner brothers, what do you expect. I would watch this movie again, I had a good time.
½ June 25, 2017
The Iron Giant is the story of why we shouldn't judge a book by its cover. The voice cast is great with Harry Connick Jr. and Jennifer Anniston really stealing the show, voicing my two favorite characters weirdly enough. The handrawn animations look great as well.