The Iron Giant - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Iron Giant Reviews

November 28, 2016
This has a superb, fun, heartwarming story, a great cast, and wonderful animation.
November 4, 2016
A great film, an instant Classic.
October 31, 2016
This is brilliant, I remember loving the source book as a child and I remember enjoying watching this film on first release but watching again with my 3 year old this truly is a joy. A great story and truly beautiful animation, this totally captivates from the word go. Perhaps a little more for older kids but then I was worried my son might get a little scared when the guns came out but instead I just got 'WOOAH!' 'WOOOWWW! DADDY LOOK AT THAT!!' He loved it as much as me.
October 30, 2016
A perfect masterpiece just waiting to be rui- I mean rebooted
October 23, 2016
- Just watched this film for the 2nd time. Great movie from Brad Bird who also did "The Incredibles" which I loved. The story is great, as is the animation and voice acting. Everything comes together perfectly for a classic film!

- What a fantastic movie! I hadn't seen it before. Brad Bird is a cut-above the rest in my opinion. This movie is stylistic and has a great story. Check it out if you've never seen it.
October 14, 2016
one of my favorite films of all time!!!
½ September 19, 2016
How about I just cut to the chase? The Iron Giant is a nearly perfect animated film. Let's start with the setting. It's so wonderful to have the small-town 1950's vibe for the warm beginning that's all about making a new friend. But it also transitions well into the fear and paranoia that many felt at the time because of the Bomb and the Red Scare. Hogarth is a simple inquisitive kid, which is a good protagonist for our story, and it makes him easy to identify with. I have to say, the establishment of the friendship between Hogarth and the Giant is a little rushed, but I think it's justified because they set him up in the beginning as a boy who quickly grows attached to creatures. Speaking of setting things up, on a rewatch I was amazed how blatantly they foreshadow the climax of the film. I didn't see it coming the first time, but they start laying the groundwork for how the story will end 30 minutes or less into the movie. Some people might not like how obvious the foreshadowing is, but I think most of it is solidly built into the plot with appropriate setup and pay-off. And that pay-off is the kind that makes grown men weep. I don't just tear up or get a little misty-eyed with The Iron Giant, I have tears rolling down my face every time. Clearly the film connects with me in a deep way to elicit that kind of reaction. All this, and it has a good moral message as well, which both adults and children can learn from. I love this movie, and would highly recommend it to anyone.
September 15, 2016
A monumental achievement in animation. One of the greatest ever made.
½ September 11, 2016
An animated masterpiece that all animation fans will enjoy!
½ August 30, 2016
An underrated & beautifully made animated film helmed by Brad Bird a big name in the Simpsons Television Show.

A simple story of a dreamy young boy finding a massive robot in the nearby forest that he befriends despite his gigantic size.

The story takes a surprise & deeper turn in the third act & really touches your heart. A film that sadly came & went but was a real standout Animated Feature.
½ August 26, 2016
It may not have made an impact at the box office, but in my heart, this is a very special animated feature.
August 24, 2016
I can't believe it's taken me until now to see this beloved animated classic. The animation seems dated (even for 1999), and the story is overly simple. But the relationship between Hogarth and the giant definitely resonates. Brad Bird is at his best in this genre. Why didn't they ever make a sequel to this? I could even see a live-action adaptation coming out now.
August 4, 2016
160804: The Iron Giant comes to the realization that only he controls his actions. He then applies his tools in the defense of those who need it. What more honorable of an act could there be? Though the animation comes from a simpler time, the story is perfect. I have always loved The Iron Giant.
July 28, 2016
Funny, heartwarming and beautifully animated. The Iron Giant tackles thought-provoking themes and is a great directorial debut from Brad Bird while also offering a funny exciting and at times heartbreaking adventure and the power of friendship and human relationships
July 25, 2016
This is film is wonderful. It's well-written, it has a great story, the voice acting is great, the animation is beautiful, and the characters are lovable. What I'm upset about is the fact that I saw this film for the first time recently. I'm so mad I didn't grow up with it. Hogarth's relationship with the Giant is very entertaining and touching, and the ones between him, Annie, and Dean are pretty good too. What really makes this film great is it's anti-gun message, it's theme about life and death, and the fact that it got away with words like "dammit" and "hell". The drama is done well along with the quiet moments. The comedic scenes work out for the most part. It's just a great film. The narrative could've been a bit more flowing, but it's not really a big issue. The Iron Giant is clearly Brad Bird's best. I absolutely love it. It's smart, touching, suspenseful, and will sure pull you by your heartstrings. See it if you haven't already. You won't be disappointed.
½ July 8, 2016
Superman estaria orgulloso si viera esta pelicula.
July 4, 2016
I've caught bits and pieces of this movie as a kid but it never interested me, and then recently I had watched it and it actually is an excellent film, very charming and the voice overs were well done and the casting is great. Obviously this is more of a movie for kids, but, as a 23 year old it wasn't all that bad and I think I would have enjoyed it much more as a kid if I sat down and watched the whole thing 15 years ago.
July 1, 2016
An astonishingly underrated film. One of Brad Bird's greatest movies.
½ June 28, 2016
Thoughtful, heartfelt and not to mention its wonderful animation. The Iron Giant is a rare animated picture that blends mystery, drama and overall family-fun. The unexpected joy and praise makes this film a timeless achievement for both its director and its voice counterparts. 4.5/5
June 26, 2016
One of my favorite movies. I'll happily watch this anytime.