Iron Man 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Iron Man 2 Reviews

½ June 17, 2017
Iron Man 2 mixes fun with the action, but seems to be a little overkill with all of the characters mixed in storylines and motives.
June 17, 2017
Critics and The Audience agree, Iron Man 2 is a great example of a sequel that is not as good as the original. C+
½ June 13, 2017
Worst Iron Man Movie
June 11, 2017
I loved Iron man1 so I thought this movie would be great. I watched it and enjoyed a few sequences. I mostly thought it was about a guy who drinks alcohol judging it by the second problem in the movie. In general it was a fine movie.
June 11, 2017
Once again Robert Downey Jr. is great in the role, but this movie isn't great because it feels like a set up for the avengers and it has a forgettable villain.
June 5, 2017
Not bad, but there are some chinks in the armor, as it were, and it's certainly not as strong as its predecessor, "Iron Man." How much you like this installment greatly depends on how much you enjoy Robert Downey Jr.'s flippant and wisecracking Tony Stark. Mickey Rourke brings an expected dark edge to the villain Whiplash. Scarlett Johansson makes her dynamic debut as Black Widow and there are Easter eggs galore for Marvel Comics fans that tease what's coming in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, including a 'thunderous' post-credits sequence. Excelsior!
June 4, 2017
the only reason, and I do mean ONLY, reason why I ever liked this movie is because (BLACK WIDOW). everything else is terrible, one of the worst villains, it was rushed, and it was such a bummer from the first film.
June 2, 2017
This product is only watchable because some of the strengths from the first movie is carried over to this one. The chemistry is still solid, even with the introduction of a recasted "War Machine". The humour still works, and the acting is top-notch.

There are problems. Lots of them. First of all this movie doesn't have a plot/it can't decide what it wants to be. To start out with it's a remake of the first movie, then it's a setup for The Avengers, then the villain(s) doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Like the first movie it has problems in the third act, and that's surprising considering it almost doesn't have one.

For some reason director Jon Favreau scraps the great Iron Man theme from the first movie, and the rest of the score is bland.

The movie is better than The Incredible Hulk, but not by much.
June 1, 2017
When you don't have any ideas for your sequel, just throw in a bunch of Iron Man suits.
½ June 1, 2017
DC films just look way more interesting to me because its actually lit in a way that's cinematic, its not just high key television lighting, and very simple visual story telling that you find on a lot of TV programmes like Law & Order svu, CSI, Jag, that stuff.
½ May 31, 2017
Building off of the success of the first Iron Man, 2 doesn't ever skyrocket above, but does carry on the story in a satisfactory way.
May 27, 2017
Not as fun as I remember the original being, but decent action, performances, and wit.
½ May 27, 2017
A watchable follow-up, this film doesn't capture some of the fun aspects of the first film, but still has some cool moments. The first thing to notice is the blatant actor change for Rhodey, which comes off a little jarring. Although Don Cheadle is a fine actor, it doesn't seem like he has the physique to be the physically intimidating War Machine. Terrance Howard was a better choice out of the two options, and it's a little unsatisfying to see he doesn't get his moment to wear the silver suit after his "next time, baby" line from the first movie. Several concepts miss the mark: the introduction of Black Widow and the scenes with Nick Fury seem more shoehorned in than necessary, basically just to say "hey, don't forget that an Avengers movie is coming", and the scene of Iron Man in the giant donut seems silly. There were good parts of the film; Robert Downey Jr. is still great in his role, and the depression he faces when dealing with his illness is humanizing. Mickey Rourke does a great job as Whiplash, he has a cool character design and his introductory fight scene at the racetrack is a highlight of the movie. Overall, this film is a relatively decent sequel.
May 26, 2017
A lot of themes are forgettable, and the Avengers set up smell is strong with this film, but it still manages to entertain, even if the villain is completely forgettable and the plot predictable. Still a good time, albeit nowhere near as fun as the first Iron Man.
May 24, 2017
Iron Man 2 is a movie that is not as good as the original. Is it a bad movie? No. The acting is good, and the cinematography is good. The plot is solid, but not fantastic. Overall, I'd watch it as a comic-book fan, but as an action movie fan? I don't know.
½ May 20, 2017
Not the sequel I was hoping for, but still cool. Not the best MCU movie though.
May 5, 2017
While this isn't as good as its predecessor, it still offers a fun story, a great performance from Robert Downey Jr., spectacular visual effects, and lots of action.
½ May 5, 2017
The first sequel to the Iron Man films and the first sequel in the MCU is okay. The movie isn't bad, I've just seen better Marvel Universe movies. (Then again there really aren't any "bad" MCU movies) One of good things about this movie is the cast, Don Cheadle, Scarlet Johansson, Mickey Rourke, and Samuel L. Jackson are all great, but the story is flat and basic, and the loss of Jeff Bridges stinks. RDJ continues to shine as Tony Stark however.
May 4, 2017
The transition. So after the events of the first Iron Man, the world now knows Tony Stark's alternate identity, so he is busy living the lifestyle of a rock star with all of the showboating that comes with it, as you would probably imagine. The machine in his heart that is keeping him alive is also slowly poisoning him, so he is self-destructively drinking more than usual. The question arises: who is going to kill him first, the kin of Tony's father's former partner that feels slighted, or will it be Tony himself? This movie really was a turning point for Marvel on the whole, and it did get them lots of feedback. To be sure, this is a movie that has its fair share of problems, but it is a necessary step to this expanding this ongoing interconnected series. Iron Man 2 got the most flack for all of the advertising for the Avengers that is featured prominently throughout. After all the movies they have created so far, it's not as bad as I remember. Going back and watching this seven years after the fact makes it interesting watch, because all the sidebars with Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. feel more organic than it previously did, but it seems incredibly silly and crowbarred in for Tony to be using a prototype of Captain America's shield as a paper weight, so there are both successes and failures. But hey, there are some good ideas that they brought to the screen, and there are worthwhile moments featured throughout. For example, the hallway fight scene with Black Widow is really well choreographed, and it showcases the extent of the abilities of the character and serves as a very satisfying introduction. Also, the suitcase suit is an incredibly cool effect, and I do remember squealing a little bit the first time I saw it in a theater. The racing scene in Morocco of cars being chopped in half looks great as well, although I think the villain that is Whiplash (Mickey Rourke) who is the one slicing the cars ends up coming across as being a bit too cartoony on the whole. If I could summarize this movie up in one word, it would be disjointed. It's another necessary stepping stone in the Marvel universe, but I feel like they were trying to do too much with the mapping of future projects to allow this to successfully stand on its own legs. The story suffers for it, and because there is so much advertising, it pads the movie out for about 20 minutes longer than necessary, impacting a needed sense of pathos. Tony Stark is an arrogant character, but he should still come off as somebody that you want to be. With this story, even with all his money, women and gadgets, you would still probably pass. This is not one of Marvel's stronger movies, but it's not so problematic that you will watch and feel that you've just wasted your time.
½ May 2, 2017
A solid entry to the marvel universe fueled by a sensational Robert Downey Jr. performance.
Iron man returns with the whole world knowing about Tony Stark and Iron Man.
This is what makes the film interesting; the politics involving iron man, what good he can do etc.
I think the star of the film is Mickey Rourke who plays the main villain. He is fantastic and dialed in throughout the whole film. Black is introduced here played with a sexiness by Scarlett Johansson. She's truly a badass and adds sleekness to the film in her supporting role.
Stark also is dealing with the fact he is dying too. Being iron man is basically poisoning his body and he must come to grips with this despite being a bad boy he does show slight vulnerabilities which is interesting to see.

Not as good as the first but still a solid entry in the Marvel universe.