It's Love I'm After Reviews

• May 03, 2019

The Warner contract players are becoming famous because the same actors are used in almost every WB movie. That's one way to elicit name recognition. Leslie Howard, at this stage, is still the star, steals the show and exudes professionalism throughout. Davis is getting better in dramatic roles, and De Havilland seems capable doing both comedy or drama. The script is above average and makes this film worth watching.

• Jan 12, 2019

The film comes to life with the performance of Leslie Howard in a rare comedic role. The fast-paced dialogue and witty remarks make the film entertaining throughout. Particularly good scenes include Eric Blore's whistling like a bird, and the furious argument between Bette Davis and Leslie Howard.

• Aug 01, 2016

Few surprises in this screwball Rom-com. Though at least the screws never stop spinning! It is interesting to note that this is the first film Mr. Howard did following the successful Romeo & Juliet - I suspect he already knew those lines. There are many excellent one-liners (& two or three liners as well!), but this one from the brilliant butler, Eric Blore, stands out; "Oh but you don't need clothes to get married, Sir." Priceless.

• Aug 18, 2015

????? "??????, ??????? ? ?????" ???? ? ??????? 1937 ????. ? ??????? ????? ????? ??????, ???? ?????, ?????? ?? ?????????. ????? ?????????? ???? ? ?????? "????????? ??????" ??????? (???? ?????) ? ?? ????????? (?????? ?????????) ??? ???????, ? ?????? ????? ?????? ??????????????? ?????? ??????, ?????? - ??? ?????? ??????????? ??????????. ????? ????? ???? ? ???? ?????, ?????????? ? ????????? ?????? ???????? ?? ?????. ????? ???????????? ? ?????? ??? ???? ????, ? ???? ?????????? ????? ??????, ???? ????????? ????? ???? ?????????? ???????? ?????? ???????. ??? ???????, ? ???? ??,1937 ???? ?????? ?????? ? ???? ?????, ? ????? ??????????? ???? ????? ???????? ???????????, ????????? ???? ????? ? ?????? "????? ???????? ????????????" ??? ??????, ? ????? ????? ????? ? ?? ????????? ??????? ? ????? "????, ????, ????? ????????", ??? ??????? ?????? ??????????? ??????? ????????, (? ?????????? ?????), ? ???. ?????? ????? ?? ?????? ??????? ????? ? 1943?. ?????????????? ??????? ? ???????? ????????.

• Nov 05, 2014

While Bette Davis and Leslie Howard are amusing as two battling lovers who also happen to be ham actors, the surprise of this little comedy is Olivia de Havilland as the moonstruck girl... Limitless Energy--Among the greatest of golden era screwball comedies... You Should Be After 'It's Love I'm After'!!

• Jul 11, 2012

"it's love i'm after" has all the charm, wit, and humor that one comes to expect from the best of the 1930's, led by fun performances by leslie howard and bette davis. i just dare you to watch this film without having a smile on your face the whole time. if you are able to do this, you may be satan.

• Jul 11, 2012

A terribly old romantic-comedy story played out beautifully in this 1937 film. I have always found Miss Davis a bit hard on the eyes in later years. (character makeup, aging etc.) but she in nothing less that absolutely stunning in this film. Olivia De Havilland is equally stunning in the first of 4 movie parings of these film icons. Olivia De Havilland's character "Marcia" falls head over heels in love with actor Basil Underwood, overplayed by Leslie Howard. Basil is engaged to fellow actress Joyce Arden play by Davis. It's a romantic farce that is quite fun to watch. Eric Biore steals many scenes as Digges, Basil's butler. Fun movie to watch.

• Jul 10, 2012

pairing #3 4 davis/howard in this delightful rom-com

pairing #3 4 davis/howard in this delightful rom-com

• Apr 05, 2011

Third pairing of Davis & Howard, with De Havilland to round out the main cast, making this a rare comedy for all 3 of them, and an even rarer screwball comedy (I may be mistaken, since this was a prolific trio, but I can't think of a single other screwball for any of them that I've seen or heard of). Not greatly liked by critics at the time, it's been redeemed by later generations. I enjoyed seeing all of them making use of their much underused comedic talents, and they rather look like they are enjoying themselves as well. Much later on in the careers of both the ladies, some of their forays into comedy were panned harshly, and with good cause, but of course, by then they had literally decades of intense dramatic acting behind them, and they just seemed uncomfortable with the lighter stuff. This film shows us a glimmer of what might have been, had they been studio'ed into a different mold. I'm sure it would have been interesting, but I wouldn't trade the careers they had for it. While the film is never dull, and does have some hilarious moments, it does drag on at times, and doesn't maintain the effervescence of a truly classic comedy. Nonetheless I'd recommend it especially to fans of the 3 leads.

• Oct 13, 2010

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 (1937) It's Love I'm After COMEDY Surprisingly and still relevant comedy which is ahead of it's time with plenty of gags throughout! A very amusing and entertaining Leslie Howard as Basil as a conceited stage actor testing his acting talents by doing his best to detract a very young Olivia De Havilland as Marcia West who is love strucked by him and his performance while seeing him on stage, to whom she is shifting all her attention to instead of her fiance! The second film Leslie Howard and Bette Davis starred together (with the first "Of Human Bondage")as the other actress Basil is commited to marry as Joyce Arden! All three actors shine especially Eric Blore as the butler Diggs! My rating would've been higher except this film is way too over the top with several amusing gags which my rating may change by repeated viewings depending on the mood! 3.5 out of 4