It's a Gift - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

It's a Gift Reviews

November 30, 2015
there isn't much to add here that hasn't already been commented on. this is an absolute spot-on perfect comedy. from the acting to the writing, This is Fields's best film, a remake and expansion of his silent film "It's the Old Army Game," produced in 1930 and released in 1931. It is fairly typical Depression-era wish-fulfillment, but that does not detract from its status as a comic masterpiece undimmed by time."It's A Gift" tends to be hard to find, either on TV or video, so if you find it, grab it or record it. Its inspired comedy has withstood the changing cinematic culture of the past 70 years and will likely be watched and enjoyed for a good many years to come.
September 4, 2015
another lost review WC would have had a field day with flixter
April 16, 2015
W.C. Field's comedy just doesn't hold up to a modern audience, at least to me. Non of these sketches gave me any more that a small portion of amusement, and that's at its best. To give it some credit, I can see how Looney Tunes and other cartoons were inspired by Fields; they just would actually put in some (great) comedy.
½ March 14, 2015
Good WC comedy that follows familiar beats and is enjoyable enough to watch. Not nearly as funny or well made as The Bank Dick. But it's an essential watch for fans of Fields.
February 19, 2015
Superlative daft 3-reeler, filled with classic Fields routines, expertly performed. As so often, the 'plot' is just an excuse for Fields to mutter under his breath and fail to avoid injury and insult. Along with The Bank Dick and The Fatal Glass of Beer my favourite Fields.
½ September 6, 2014
Best comedy seen in my lifetime. quotes are worth repeating over and over
November 4, 2013
Was very positively surprised at how well the movie holds up 80 years after it was release. Definitely a fun experience.
November 4, 2013
W. C. Fields is the master of deadpan comedy, muttering witticisms under his breath often in reaction to over-the-top situations (which may have been created by his own ineptitude). In It's A Gift, he plays Bissonette (Bissonay!) who runs a grocery store (cue chaos and molasses) but would rather own an orange plantation in California. When his uncle dies, he inherits the money to move his family out there. Such is the plot but this is just an excuse for stringing comic bits together. Some are slow burners where the stupidity is apparent a long time before the actual ridiculous happens but others are throwaway one-liners. Fields is delightfully put-upon and to my eyes a bit less misanthropic and more kindly than he is in other films such as The Bank Dick. It's worth getting into this film's groove.
hunterjt13
August 4, 2013
A shop owner comes into an inheritance and moves his family to California.
Filled with physical bits and an occasional wise-crack, It's a Gift showcases W.C. Fields's vaudevillian humor. But the bits are in slow motion, like watching underwater comedy, and the wise-cracks aren't all that wise. Some of the - "kumquats!" - moments that thrive on - "kumquats!" - repetition are - "kumquats!" - more annoying than - "kumquats!" - funny. In terms of character development, the stock annoying wife character is never seriously or humorously dealt with, and there's nothing about Harold's character that makes us celebrate his eventual success.
Overall, I had hoped to like Fields, who was billed as a equal of Groucho Marx, but I was disappointed.
May 1, 2013
It's one of the best movies I've seen mocking domestic entrapment. But it's pure slapstick, which isn't really my style of comedy. There are annoying situations upon annoying situations. And rather than laughing, I get angry. Despite that, there's enough humor. The porch sleeping scene is a classic.

I despise the wife. Terribly miscast, with her British accent & overacting. The kids are annoying too. But I want to physically harm the wife. I know she was written to be annoying, but the most annoying thing about her is how painfully clear it is that she does not belong in this movie.
April 22, 2013
A man dreams of leaving New Jersey and growing oranges in California in spite of his oppressive wife. It's a Gift is regarded as one of the best films starring W.C. Fields. It's very enjoyable and its weak plot turns into a strong point as it allows its star to unleash his unique comedy style in an enchanting performance that is just waiting to be re-discovered.
April 15, 2013
Insurance Salesman: Do you know a man by the name of LaFong? Carl LaFong? Capital L, small a, Capital F, small o, small n, small g. LaFong. Carl LaFong.
Harold: No, I don't know Carl LaFong - capital L, small a, capital F, small o, small n, small g. And if I did know Carl LaFong, I wouldn't admit it!
September 15, 2012
Silly physical comedy and one dimensional characters
½ July 11, 2012
This was my second exposure to the comedian WC Fields & yet again I was less than impressed.

This film was so dull & jokes where far too labored & it took that long for a joke when it happened it just wasn't that funny.

This is a prime example of a film that hasn't stood the test of time, it would have been sensational in the 30's but comedy has changed. Other than a few early Hollywood locations this film didn't have much for me to appreciate....it was tedious & dull.
½ June 16, 2012
There wasn't even a single moment when I stop laughing .
March 30, 2012
Sorry, but I found everyone but W.C. Fields annoying and over-the-top stupid. I get that is what they were going for, but why would anyone want to watch people who are so ridiculously obnoxious and clueless? I get enough of that any time Mitt Romney opens his mouth.
March 23, 2012
Magical narrative simplicity plus subtle comedic genius adds up to 68 minutes of pure enjoyment in "It's a Gift." The legendary Fields here plays more understated than the uninitiated may imagine (even playing the victim to his overbearing wife) all the while trying to better his family by buying a California orange farm - one that, predictably, soon goes sour. Trademark interaction between Fields and animals/children actually plays second fiddle to the nuances of this true comedian at work, where even small, everyday events like trying to take a nap can illicit smiles in viewers some 77 years later. Worth repeated viewings. They don't make'em like this no more, gang, and that's truly a shame. Thank God for classic Hollywood.
January 1, 2012
One of the funniest fucking movies ever. If you don't like this, I don't want to know you. If you've never heard of W.C. Fields, this is the perfect film to start with.
August 31, 2011
Quite simply the master at his best! Some many hilariouis moments...the blind man in the store...Fields trying to sleep with constant interruptions...the picnic on the private property. If you watch one W C film, make it this one!
July 28, 2011
I must confess to finding the whole a little folksy and lackadaisical for my own tastes... Still, the better gags - the world's messiest picnic, the store closed owing to molasses - are worthy of anybody's laughter, and it earns extra points for bucking a then-emerging trend, by making every animal and child that crosses the frame eminently kickable.