J. Edgar Reviews

• Jun 26, 2019

Somehow this movie balances J. Edgar's personal life and politics perfectly, although emotional moments are miles away from the larger political space of the film, which I feel fails to shape Edgar's harsher facettes effectively.

• Jun 07, 2019

Flat and vaguely fascist, Eastwood’s sprawling biopic of the legendary law enforcer is further proof that Clint is an able cinematic craftsman but not much of an artist. Still, the period production design gives the audience a lot to look at and there are a few moments of historical insight. The cast is good if you can ignore the unintentional hilarity of Leo and Hammer stumbling around in elaborate but unconvincing old age prosthetics. All in all this plays more like a dark comedy than a serious historical drama.

• Apr 25, 2019

Leo, who does an admirable job, didn't have a chance when everything else lets his performance down, to the point where it's not even worth watching past the first fifteen minutes. Not worth your time.

• Dec 27, 2018

Edgar was a controversial man, the first director of the FBI with a colorful personal life and even fascinating professional one. This movie is based on his life and takes the audience back and forth in time between his early years in the justice department and the years during his tenure as the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI), until his death on May 2nd 1972. The film has a great storyline. It develops focusing on Hoover's career and his lifetime dedication to the FBI. For the most part, the movie is told from Hoover's perspective as he dictates his life story to a few different typists (Young FBI agents) because he felt that it was time for people to know the other side of the story. Hoover is presented as the hero of the story; at times, exaggerating his accomplishments. The tale portrays Hoover as a young dedicated patriot, perfectionist, dedicated to create order, with an obsession against communism, working his way up, overcoming challenges, accumulating power throughout the years, and later becoming one of the most powerful men in history of the United States.

• Nov 23, 2018

Not what you expect from Eastwood, this is a weird, dull bloated mess of a film. The makeup effects are so poor that it's almost impossible to take many scenes seriously and the whole film is lit terribly (presumably in a failed attempt to hide some of the make-up work). It's all such a poor standard, the actor playing Bobby Kennedy is so bad (what is that accent he sounds Chinese?!) that they pan to the name plate on his desk every scene he's in just to remind you who he's supposed to be. The story is all over the shop, jumping around to different times and places, implying lots of things but never being brave enough to stick to them. It's a failure, it really is.

• Nov 12, 2018

This film was almost good.

This film was almost good.

• Aug 25, 2018

2018-8-23 Too slow. I felt asleep twice XDDD J. Edgar Hoover was so paradox. And was twisted and painful all the time, awarely or not.

• Aug 17, 2018

This movie was straight up garbage no one can tell me otherwise.

This movie was straight up garbage no one can tell me otherwise.

• Jun 18, 2018

Someone let Clint Eastwood near a camera again. I know he buys a lot of the rights to these stories he wants to tell, but I don't know how someone takes a story and life full of potential and create this mess of a film. Leonardo DiCaprio is one of the finest young actors we have, and while his performances can tend to run together, he had an opportunity to shine even more in a role like this similarly to how he did as Howard Hughes in "The Aviator." The difference between "The Aviator" and "J. Edgar" is sitting behind the camera in this one. Clint Eastwood, who has the biggest track record of empty, overrated directorial presentations, just blows it all to Hell in this one. The directing is weak, bringing out the blandest performances with its horrid storytelling. The movie shortchanges the viewer during what appear to be pivotal scenes, yet drags out the ones we knew were coming. Pretty standard stuff from "Bronco Billy." The actors and viewers deserved better. I hope the awful reviews send him a message. I'm glad I only spent $1.25, although I deserve some change.

• May 27, 2018

Lame boring weird movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio.

Lame boring weird movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio.