Persuasion Reviews

• Oct 23, 2019

Una hermosa película, bastante fiel al libro y con unos paisajes hermosos que transportan a quien la ve a la maravillosa época en que vivía Jane Austen y todos los personajes de sus libros.

• Dec 27, 2017

Love this version of my favorite Jane Austin book.

Love this version of my favorite Jane Austin book.

• Apr 10, 2017

Why would you make a film when the story has already been done with better skill? The editing is campy--zooming in dramatically when it doesn't need to, lingering too long on scenes that have finished, cutting too quickly, and extreme closeups that stay uncomfortably long. The chemistry between actors is horrible, the dialogue is awkward and awkwardly delivered, and everyone looks like they're recovering from the flu. It's an ugly, awkward, and malformed home-video version of this story. Stick to the 1995 version. The difference in effort is like night and day.

• Mar 04, 2017

Another great jane austen movie

Another great jane austen movie

• Feb 09, 2016

I can't believe I've never seen any adaptation of "Persuasion" before (nor have I read the novel). I find the resolution too rushed. Anne and Frederick never have more than a few words with each other which is understandable at first, but leaves a feeling of incompleteness. What is their attraction based upon? What brought them together the first time? What reunites them? Yes, he has a new found appreciation of her character, but that is not the same as an attraction of character.

• Nov 05, 2015

I don't know the book, so I can't judge how well they depicted this couple and their feelings compared to Jane Austens' writing. However, I know other adaptations of Jane Austen books like the 2005 Pride & Prejudice and I enjoyed those much more. The strength of the feelings just felt not nearly as sincere and strong as in other adaptations. However, it is a solid movie and quite enjoyable.

• Sep 03, 2015

I just read the book, re-saw the 1995 Amanda Root version, and saw this one. My thoughts came together. Anne is a highly competent young woman, pleasant, fun, clever, social, but she is quiet. In her sphere she is confident, but low-key enough to be taken for granted. Most in her sphere do not recognize her or her strengths. Many don't get her. The Musgroves sort of do, but are too busy to focus on and really acknowledge her. We know these things about her. Captain Wentworth knows these things. Lady Russell, alone of those in her sphere who is Anne's apparent stalwart, has proven she doesn't entirely know these things; has, moreover, somewhat betrayed Anne by rejecting the captain. All this is to say, Anne is alone. In the midst of her bustling circle, no one connects with her and recognizes her worth. So, - the Captain wheeling into view - For her it's not just whether there'll be romance and the money and marriage and marriage prestige and kids and 1815 cultural stuff; that her whole world would suddenly see her, she who's never been seen before. What's on the line is her being. She is well on her way to spinster outer darkness, already propelled when 8 years before she broke it off with him and the resulting misery. For her there is both everything to lose and everything to gain. It's life versus death. Serious stakes. (It's contact she needs to live, not necessarily a man. Jane had sister Cassandra.) Amanda Root is given this understanding to play out. Sally Hawkins is not. I like what the 1995 version does with it. Alas, Sally Hawkins, that that script makes her into an almost silly nervous wreck nearly as far gone as Jane Austen's foolish characters. It doesn't bring us to value her as a person, a good stalwart fun clever person quietly shaken by finding herself in a bad bind. Sally Hawkins' Anne stands to lose a beloved old boyfriend but not her life.

• May 24, 2015

I greatly enjoyed this movie - it was beautiful, sweet and touching...:)

I greatly enjoyed this movie - it was beautiful, sweet and touching...:)

• Apr 19, 2015

The way the movie is shot is a little iffy, but the performances and the story is what brings this Jane Austen novel to life. Grade: B+

• Mar 07, 2015

A very good film adaptation of the novel.

A very good film adaptation of the novel.