Jane Eyre - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jane Eyre Reviews

½ June 9, 2017
Jane Eyre is directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga, and it stars Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender in a British romantic drama about a working girl that has run away to a house, where a group of family members has care for her, and it gets to the story of Jane Eyre (Mia Wasikowska). This is the first film that I've seen from the director as I've heard about him very much, whether he's a talented director and writer from his film, and he has a hard time getting projects to the big screen because studio wise like It. So for this one being expired on Netflix, I wanted to review this before it's gone, and I can say that this is a really great film. Mia Wasikowska is fantastic in this, and so is Michael Fassbender as they work each other with tons of interesting moments. The writing by Moira Buffini has interesting dialogue that kept me invested throughout it, it made the characters feel more real in what they're saying, and it may be because of the style that the adaptation brought in. The characters are well fleshed out, and the costume designs really fit with the time period that it's in. The way it sets of the flashbacks are done in the way that I understand what's going on, and it doesn't feel forced. The only issue that I do have, is that the pacing can be bit improved at some points, but that's all I can think of in terms of the negative aspects as Jane Eyre is a different romance story that I usually have heard of, and it makes it stand out.
½ June 8, 2017
It is interesting how actors that famous/recognized can perform so mediocrely. especially Fassbender. I blame the director, for the scenes could have been 1000% more dramatic and interesting. I couldn't feel the profundity of the story, things happened so fast that I was unable to infer deeper meanings.
May 29, 2017
In the spirit of the Charlotte Brontė novel it's based on, this version of "Jane Eyre" is an absorbing period drama.
May 28, 2017
This is a deeply atmospheric drama, with nearly everything working beautifully. Fassbender is excellent, but Wasikowska is the revelation in a moving, nuanced, heartfelt portrayal - a tour de force. Fukunaga did a great job, but the narrative could have been a bit sharper, as viewers who have not read the Bronte novel could have used a bit more guidance.
½ May 26, 2017
The first half hour of this movie could have been completely cut out. It served no purpose.
March 24, 2017
Good acting and atmosphere, but no chemistry.
½ March 19, 2017
To be honest I expected more from the film Jane Eyre. It has a typical story line about forbidden love. Jane Eyre a poor girl who falls in love with her rich master. It is very predictable how the story ends and that is something that bothers me. I am not a real fan of platitudes, I prefer a unexpected ending. That would be more suprising. Although the film was released in 2011, the film seems to be produced in the 19th century. The producers did a good job because the decor was old-fashioned just as the clothings of the characters.
To my mind the film was a disappointment compared to the book. It was a pleasure for me to read it. It was more detailed than the film. In the book, Jane Eyre tried more to fight against her feelings for him which makes it more exciting to read. The end was breathtaking (I'm not going to spoil). It is everything a dramatic love story should be.
In case you didn't read it, I seriously recommand you hunt down the book.
February 26, 2017
Exceeded all expectations.
January 20, 2017
"And if God had possessed me with beauty and wealth, I could make it as hard for you to leave me as I to leave you."
December 30, 2016
Fine, but not great.
½ December 5, 2016
The production design and costumes are indeed exquisite, as well as the absorbing Gothic atmosphere. However, the film lacks passion and mystery, while the dialogue sounds incredibly cheesy and Wasikowska is too apathetic for the role.
½ November 28, 2016
Fassbender made a great Rochester and Mia did well as Jane, but the development of their relationship felt rushed. Would still recommend it, though.
September 21, 2016
Beautifully shot and wonderfully acted, this is a close adaptation that might be slightly romanticized, but no less true to the heart and soul of the novel.
September 19, 2016
Although Fukunaga panders to the audience, an ugly polish that taints his films, he does right by the classic source material with elegant framework and a perfect cast. If only surface-deep, I found it to be an undeniably irresistible period piece.
½ September 3, 2016
I wanted to watch the chemistry between Mr Rochester and Jane over and over again. This movie was better than the one in my imaginations and the acting very powerful.
August 29, 2016
I loved the cast in this one. Fassbender was perfect for Mr. Rochester. My one regret is that the mad wife didn't get much screen time in this adaptation.
½ August 8, 2016
Well that was awkward. A few hours of my life i had better spend watching the other versions. What a joke.
June 17, 2016
Fukunaga's film is dipped in naturalistic daylight and cool desaturation. At first, this aesthetic brings something to the well-known story of Jane Eyre.
The camera is a cold, observing eye. We watch these characters from an emotionally remote position in their specific environment. This treatment matches the yet subdued character of the protagonist; It does justice to the cold and loveless biography of the young, intelligent governess trying to move through a harsh life with integrity and self-respect.
But this condition is supposed to turn with her meeting Mr Rochester; somebody who makes her feel recognized and eventually loved. Yet the camera keeps on being a cold observant eye.
Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender are magnificent. However, only in isolaton; they don't work as a couple.
References to Mr Rochester's ugliness and Jane's plainness are deemed ridiculous by the actor's and actress' blatant beauty. These are beautiful people. And it does do something to the story. Due to the lack of indication that there is something happening to the souls of these characters the love story appears like this: Rochester loathes being in Thornfield for a well-known reason. Meeting Jane Eyre is a welcome and unexpected diversion, she talks back to him and she's obviously ravishing. Jane has never been with a man and is easily overwhelmed by masculine and handsome Mr Rochester's approaches. Now, these two fancy each other but cannot consummate because of convention. Jane is too morally rigid, so they will marry.
That these two could be soulmates is only asserted via words - but we never see or feel them connect on that level.
It's a shame that this should be so. The film is beautifully photographed. But the impact of the scenes is not well-balanced, not well done. There's a scene of Jane strolling around in the frosty garden, pained after she has heard that Rochester and Blanche Ingram might be romantically involved. This would have been a great potential of identification had we been given the contrast of Jane being pushed around harshly (which we see executed splendidly in the film) and - Rochester taking to her, touching her soul, lifting her out of isolation for almost the first time in her life (which we don't get to see). How painful to get a taste of what you need most and have it taken away instantly! Instead she ends up exactly as Mrs Fairfax feared: as an inexperienced, naļve girl who fell for a man of the world.
Rochester does not liberate her. She says she lived a full life at Thornfield, yet Jane and he rarely laugh together, their conversation doesn't take flight, the happiness they are supposed to mean to each other appears merely an illusion of two desperate persons.
The filmmakers don't go with the sucker punches of the story. The observant eye remains cold and distant. Even the fulminating proposal is subdued and accompanied by Fassbender's motionless gaze.
In one scene there's even sentimentalism, something a story like this, one should think, would need least.
The drama that ensues after the wedding is rushed just as the shallow reunion. And we're done. Hmph.
A cowardly decision of casting gorgeous people as plain/ugly characters, beautiful photography, the impeccable Judi Dench, capable leads with little chemistry and an underwritten (!) love story.

Here's my wish: Jane Campion as director and Paul Giamatti as Mr Rochester. Too good to become true?
June 8, 2016
Mia Wasikowska was shallow and flat as Jane Eyre. No depth to her character which did this rendition such a disservice.
½ May 23, 2016
Really nice version of Jane Eyre. Well executed and the romantic vibes were strong.