Joe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Joe Reviews

½ October 21, 2016
Joe stars Nick Cage as the title character, and Tye Sheridan. Cages performance as Joe was excellent, as well as the supporting cast. The setting was similar to the movie Mud, a grimy, dirty, dead end of a town that was dying, but had plenty of colorful characters in it. I really didn't have many issues with Joe, but it did drag along in some areas where I felt like it didn't need to. However, this is definitely one worth seeing
October 3, 2016
Slow with a thick southern flair. The best part are performances by Nicholas Cage and Tye Sheridan.
September 6, 2016
If you wait long enough Nicholas Cage will release a decent film again! For every 20 naff films he throws out, he will release something that reminds you he can be an awesome actor. This isn't over the top, complete maniac Cage, this is quite a restrained performance and it fits well with the role. Having read the book I can also say he is a good fit for the character. It's a slow burning film with a sense of foreboding throughout. Joe is someone who knows the prison system well because of his temper getting him into trouble in the past but now he is trying to earn a decent living and do something good with his life. Then a young boy comes into his life bringing his own trouble to Joe's doorstep and it's from here Joe struggles to retain his former self as he struggles to protect his new friend from his violent father. Tye Sheridan has great onscreen chemistry with Cage and is great in the role of tough yet vulnerable Gary who is just looking for a decent father.
August 18, 2016
Pretty good country film action
August 2, 2016
Nicolas Cage's acting was okay but what was missing was a sense of menace. I deduced what the character was about from his behavior but the man he played was plagued by a rage that could become uncontrollable. Such a person would be frightening to be around when aroused. Cage was not able to project that dark, menacing rage so that the movie suffered for that.
July 22, 2016
'Joe' benefits from Nicolas Cage and Tye Sheridan's good performances, but stumbles with its pacing and characters, resulting in a movie full of potential, but not one that lives up to it.
July 11, 2016
A watchable unconventional mentor movie.
June 12, 2016
Loved it. Totally worth seeing nick cage in a role like this
June 11, 2016
Joe is a rare movie today. A movie with great performances even from Nicholas Cage. Cage gives one of this best performances in years. Good story and script. The movie does have a few too many side plots that tend to slow things down. Still a very good drama from David Gordon Green.
May 26, 2016
Intense and crooked. How low can a man get for money?
½ April 21, 2016
Superbly directed. Great performances, cinematography and dialogue with a very likeable Nicholas Cage
March 30, 2016
YES, MY SWEET BABY NIC CAGE IS BACK ON FORM! (For a little bit, anyway. Okay, just this movie? Really? Awwwwwww...)

A pretty cliche and uninspired action drama here but it has a few little touches that give it enough to be worthwhile. Firstly, the cast are brilliant and Nic Cage delivers a strong, understated (yes, UNDERstated!) performance and the young Tye Sheridan shows that he can deliver a few punches of his own in the acting world.

The Southern setting is so vital to the story and its atmosphere that it really helps that it feels genuine. Unfortunately, it's sometimes so genuine that I couldn't understand all of the accents!

It's a must-watch for Cage fans and certainly worth checking it out if you come across it. It won't blow you away but it certainly won't leave a sour taste in your mouth either (I'm mixing up my metaphors again, aren't I?)
March 10, 2016
A gritty and powerful work of cinema. Also a new milestone for Nicholas Cage and director David Gordon Green.
½ February 17, 2016
Very very very dark. But very very very good. Nicholas cage did better then I have ever seen from him. Defiantly one of his best movies.
½ January 31, 2016
from begining to end I thoroughly enjoyed this film. And it's nice to see Nicholas Cage in an intriguing and emotionally engrossing overall film experience. Last time I seen him in a movie so impactful was Werner Herzog's 2009 shocker Bad Lieutenant Port of Call, yet this one gives you real empathy and emotional depth to the characters. solid 4.5 stars, not quite masterpiece material but close. Great Cage outting. Hopefully we see more films like this from him in the future
January 26, 2016
American Social Realism, New Southern Gothic. Dark and well-made. Well directed and well-acted. It could use improvement in editing as the pacing lags, but in my book that just brings it down to a score of 9 on a scale from 1 to 10. Cage and Sheridan are excellent. The fact that only 68% liked this says little about the film and much more about the lack of depth of too many viewers. This film is unsung, misunderstood and under-appreciated. A good Southern Gothic film is a rare thing and people who have dissed "Joe" don't seem to understand the genre.
January 13, 2016
I really liked Joe; Cage's performance was awesome, and Sheridan plays the same guy as in the slightly superior Mud, but he also does well.
January 10, 2016
Utterly meaningless and pointless story. Good acting though.
December 22, 2015
Every tme we write off Cage he comes back with a great performance like this.
December 19, 2015
Great and powerful film, powerful performance from Nicolas Cage in the title role! Tye Sheridan is a great supporting star and gives an emotionally charged performance in his own right. Bravo