Joe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Joe Reviews

July 25, 2017
(5.0 out of 6)
When life out here keeps us down to only try to escape it until we can't go further and settle down, let down those that rely on us and be down in the dirt and dumps when there is no up. When what little we live off of we take down when we got a livlihood of a whole community relying on us that we can't let down. When we may seem like we are up when years of living in troublesome places keeps down. When we see others could use a pick me up while others need to get down from high places when there is not much to do but work for a living or live in the dumps. When life can take us down unexpected turns and down some dark roads we cross paths with those whom only believe in being up to not allow anyone to take us down. When the thought and sight of being down pushes us further into a downward spiral into defending our right to live out here when all things down here are like wild animals. when it's not easy for everyone to go up and leave to remain, dream of one day leaving and go down swinging to only get right back up and do it all over again. When living in some parts anything can go down as wrong as it maybe it's how life is when nobody cares about nobody to only let somethings go down and die and other things go up and live when we give others a chance. When we see its easy to pave a future when we throw down a path in what we take down and grow new paths for others to follow and continue. When we can't get up from our past we make sure others get up and put their past behind them when we are all fighting from being down.
June 5, 2017
A commendable film which is all the more surprising when you look at the Director's absolute car crash of a back catalogue. This took a long time to draw me in, but the pay off is worth it as the characters feel well realised and you root for them all the more. This feels like it has been adapted from a strong source so I'll be tempted to search out the book. Great performances from Cage (no honestly) and Sheridan who pulled off a similar role in a similar film of 'Mud'.
March 25, 2017
Is Nicolas Cage 'back'? Good performance, with a good story
½ March 16, 2017
Nicholas Cage plays a lumberjack and he's not ok... 37 mins and nothing of any real note gas happened, binned
½ March 10, 2017
A very absorbing drama with Cage acting at his best and at times can be quite a powerful movie
½ January 31, 2017
Gripping movie, that tends more to depict an atmosphere than to simply tell a story. It's all about the description of the life in a small village in the deepest core of US, the inhabitants, the psycology of the troubled characters, the often difficult interaction among their lifes and the meaning of it all. Simple but meaningful at the same time.
½ January 14, 2017
A very satisfying movie, that has zero rewatchability.
½ January 8, 2017
Kinda confusing but good picture
December 9, 2016
Nicholas Cage's most thoughtful piece of work in quite a while, it's a slightly downbeat story of trying to make good in a backwater town that's constantly bringing you down.
½ October 30, 2016
Nicholas Cage is Joe, who is an ex-con who is now running a small tree killing business in a dirt poor rural area of the deep South. Squalor, drink and hard labour are the features of life in this film. He has a crew of 12 or so and they all respect him and work hard. The other key character is a teenage boy of 15 (Tye Sheridan), his first scene is with his drunkard father by a railway line where he says he looks forward to his dad getting a beating for yet another mess he has gotten himself into. It's an abusive violent relationship, with the father regularly beating him up and taking any money he has. Tye meets up with Joe, who takes him on to his work gang and it seems to be the first positive thing to have happened in his life. They develop a surrogate father-son relationship, but the pitiless real father is only a fist away. As the story unfolds his father is revealed to be not only an useless drunk but casually murders a wino for his bottle of wine. Then later tries to pimp out his mute teenage daughter to a pair of thugs. Alongside this story line, Joe tries to do good by people - he visits the local brothel and they like him to be around, he visits his rough family where they are skinning a deer in the living room and he helps out. A young woman friend is running from her mother's boyfriend and he takes her in - but also sleeps with her so he is by no means a saint. Nicholas Cage brings gravitas to the character who just wants to be left alone but that is not to be. He knows he is a violent man and tries his best to suppress it, but it bursts out when provoked. The film gets a bit slow at times and the story meanders so you are not sure where it is leading towards. It is an excellent, well-acted film and is the most impressive performance that Nicholas Cage has made after ten years of mediocre films.
½ October 21, 2016
Joe stars Nick Cage as the title character, and Tye Sheridan. Cages performance as Joe was excellent, as well as the supporting cast. The setting was similar to the movie Mud, a grimy, dirty, dead end of a town that was dying, but had plenty of colorful characters in it. I really didn't have many issues with Joe, but it did drag along in some areas where I felt like it didn't need to. However, this is definitely one worth seeing
October 3, 2016
Slow with a thick southern flair. The best part are performances by Nicholas Cage and Tye Sheridan.
September 6, 2016
If you wait long enough Nicholas Cage will release a decent film again! For every 20 naff films he throws out, he will release something that reminds you he can be an awesome actor. This isn't over the top, complete maniac Cage, this is quite a restrained performance and it fits well with the role. Having read the book I can also say he is a good fit for the character. It's a slow burning film with a sense of foreboding throughout. Joe is someone who knows the prison system well because of his temper getting him into trouble in the past but now he is trying to earn a decent living and do something good with his life. Then a young boy comes into his life bringing his own trouble to Joe's doorstep and it's from here Joe struggles to retain his former self as he struggles to protect his new friend from his violent father. Tye Sheridan has great onscreen chemistry with Cage and is great in the role of tough yet vulnerable Gary who is just looking for a decent father.
August 18, 2016
Pretty good country film action
August 2, 2016
Nicolas Cage's acting was okay but what was missing was a sense of menace. I deduced what the character was about from his behavior but the man he played was plagued by a rage that could become uncontrollable. Such a person would be frightening to be around when aroused. Cage was not able to project that dark, menacing rage so that the movie suffered for that.
July 22, 2016
'Joe' benefits from Nicolas Cage and Tye Sheridan's good performances, but stumbles with its pacing and characters, resulting in a movie full of potential, but not one that lives up to it.
July 11, 2016
A watchable unconventional mentor movie.
June 12, 2016
Loved it. Totally worth seeing nick cage in a role like this
June 11, 2016
Joe is a rare movie today. A movie with great performances even from Nicholas Cage. Cage gives one of this best performances in years. Good story and script. The movie does have a few too many side plots that tend to slow things down. Still a very good drama from David Gordon Green.
May 26, 2016
Intense and crooked. How low can a man get for money?