Space Battleship Yamato Reviews

• Aug 01, 2017

Space Battleship Yamato is like a slow-paced, over-long Japanese version of a Battlestar Galactica episode, but more hokey, with feeble, shmalzy dialogue and soundtrack, and incredible one-guy-does-it-all plot. Protagonists regularly high-five, get all teary, apologize for necessary actions, and offer themselves up in self-sacrifice. When things are most at risk, protagonists have time for lingering good-byes. Occasional mildly stimulating special effects are insufficient to maintain interest. You do have to love the protagonist's 70s hair, but that's not enough reason to endure the entire film.

• Jan 17, 2017

I've seen the anime, and it was very enjoyable. However, the movie removed many of the interesting elements, making the story bland. The first 20 minutes or so are pretty good, but then it becomes pretty disappointing. The characters are not developed to the point where you care about them enough during risky situations. The last 20-30 minutes or so are just cringe-worthy, to the point where I'd rather just skip to the end. Bottom line: avoid.

• Jan 05, 2016

I remember watching the Anime on Showtime as a kid. The movie is a great adaption.

• Apr 02, 2015

So very enjoyable! Would love a sequel.

So very enjoyable! Would love a sequel.

• Mar 10, 2015

It feels like a remake of something older and more archetypal, because the story is very simple, the characters very clear-cut and distinct, very well put-together... brilliant action sequences, classic heroism from everyone, poignant moments and a crackling pace. It's... extraordinary.

• Oct 19, 2014

Growing up obsessed with Star Blazers I was beyond thrilled to hear of this movie being made. I finally got a chance to watch it and really enjoyed it, although I'd gone into the viewing thinking it would follow a bit more to the animated version. The only part I really graded down on was the ending which, considering the circumstances, dragged a bit.

• Oct 17, 2014

Can't believe i already saw this movie a long time ago and forgot to do the review. It was a very interesting movie, the story was a bit sad though, but still a very good movie, really enjoyed the characters, the movie scenes were overwhelming, the explosions and the fighthing everything was really really goood

• Oct 08, 2014

Pretty awful stuff... Tacky costumes, naff acting and an almost incomprehensible plot combine to produce this organic waste product of a movie!

• Sep 15, 2014

"Space Battleship Yamato" es una adaptación de la popular película de anime traída en formato live-action que carece de una trama original pero conmueve por la actuación de su buen elenco y cuyos efectos especiales convencen de vez en cuando pero entretienen bien.

• Aug 02, 2014

Grandioso adattamento del vecchio anime. Stupendo.

Grandioso adattamento del vecchio anime. Stupendo.