Space Battleship Yamato - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Space Battleship Yamato Reviews

August 19, 2016
It's the year 2199 and all the humans are Orientals and live underground because space aliens have obliterated earth. Earthlings receive a message that other aliens have a way to restore our planet. A crew heads off into deep space order to find the good aliens. Too much boring drama, but a lot of the space battles looked pretty cool.
January 5, 2016
I remember watching the Anime on Showtime as a kid. The movie is a great adaption.
November 16, 2015
The DVD is on Order..Watched it on Youtube, but the sound goes out after an hour..I watched The Star Blazers when I was younger...
April 2, 2015
So very enjoyable! Would love a sequel.
½ March 10, 2015
It feels like a remake of something older and more archetypal, because the story is very simple, the characters very clear-cut and distinct, very well put-together... brilliant action sequences, classic heroism from everyone, poignant moments and a crackling pace. It's... extraordinary.
January 12, 2015
Compelling story, beautiful cg.
October 19, 2014
Growing up obsessed with Star Blazers I was beyond thrilled to hear of this movie being made. I finally got a chance to watch it and really enjoyed it, although I'd gone into the viewing thinking it would follow a bit more to the animated version. The only part I really graded down on was the ending which, considering the circumstances, dragged a bit.
½ October 17, 2014
Can't believe i already saw this movie a long time ago and forgot to do the review.
It was a very interesting movie, the story was a bit sad though, but still a very good movie, really enjoyed the characters, the movie scenes were overwhelming, the explosions and the fighthing everything was really really goood
½ October 8, 2014
Pretty awful stuff... Tacky costumes, naff acting and an almost incomprehensible plot combine to produce this organic waste product of a movie!
½ September 24, 2014
An intelligent live action version of an intelligently written animated TV sci-fi show. Will definitely be added to library upon release!
September 15, 2014
"Space Battleship Yamato" es una adaptación de la popular película de anime traída en formato live-action que carece de una trama original pero conmueve por la actuación de su buen elenco y cuyos efectos especiales convencen de vez en cuando pero entretienen bien.
½ August 2, 2014
Grandioso adattamento del vecchio anime. Stupendo.
June 12, 2014
If this is dubbed into English, I have to see it
½ June 8, 2014
I was a fan of the English language version of the anime series that this film was based on.

A fun film with some good effects. The acting was good, too. Female characters exhibit acting talent, and are not just there to provide eye candy for male audiences.
½ June 1, 2014
It's a pretty good action movie, when it's actually being an action movie. It's got some dramatic parts, too the point where you actually wonder why they are being so sappy.
May 21, 2014
Giving this an extra half star simply for bringing a little bit of my youth to the big screen in live action format... but ultimately, this film truly fails.
Attempting to fit what amounts to an entire "season" of the show into one feature length film isn't easy and often leads to problems as is the case here.
First off characters are introduced while their backstory seems to have already happened. We don't get to see where these characters come from or why they have all this bagage or know each other already. Instead this is played out with dialogue which amounts to BORING.
Next is the fact that things are simply introduced without much reason or explanation clearly counting on the viewers prior knowledge of the tv show.
But much of this can be forgiven as we get to see Space Battleship Yamato "sail" again and battle it out with the superior forces of The Gamilas.
May 15, 2014
Okay it isn't a big budget hollywood film (although is that a bad thing these days), but I kinda liked this movie. I don't know the original anime it is based off of, so I can't compare the two, but I thought this was above average for a film I've never heard of and if you like anime or sci-fi then it might be up your alley. Not the best out there, but certainly no where near the worst.
½ March 11, 2014
Discovered the subtitled upload on YouTube, definitely would be better on a smaller screen because the resolution sucked so now I definitely have to pick this up on Blu-Ray because the trailers make the whole thing look stunning. zIp would variously label this a $7.50 movie and hedge tolerates $8.
½ December 26, 2013
La película empieza bien, al estilo Galactica o Robotech, pero pierde fuelle pronto y se vuelve aburrida excepto cuando hay batallas.
November 12, 2013
Star Blazers brought to live action! Space Battleship Yamato is beautiful. The Gamilas are destroying the Earth. Humanity's last hope lives in the Yamato, the last defense for Earth. They receive word from Iskandar that a technology that can save humanity, and Yamato begins the long journey.

There are wonderful space battles, but the best scene is the Yamato rising from the earth. It is fun to watch. But the real treasure here are the characters. Kodai and the Black Tigers are all fun, and interesting. The Captain is crusty but has wise eyes, and is actually very likeable.

So much to say about Space Battleship Yamato. Definitely should be seen.