Jude - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jude Reviews

March 27, 2016
Wonderful sad movie, a must see...
½ September 10, 2015
Dark but Romantic Drama well worth watching
January 30, 2014
Great drama...ready to read the book!
December 8, 2013
Boring.

It continuously reminded me of Sons and Lovers which also bored me to tears. Maybe it was me not understanding the context or something, being in the wrong mood, or perhaps because I watched it when I was sick, but it just struck me as a bitter liberal polemic against some institution or idea it felt did them wrong. It felt like an exercise in instilling pity for someone being an outcast and making very poor decisions rather than a character study or even historic drama. The characters are outcast because they made such poor decisions and intentionally cut themselves off from people. Forgive this spoiler and forgive my poor taste, but I was laughing hysterically at the end because I knew that since everything was going OK again something drastic was going to happen. The whole things was so very predictable.

Maybe I have this reaction because it's hard for me to fathom the society that the story took place in but it was all I could do to stay awake.

To be fair the film had nice camera work, good acting, and a decent script, it just never rose above a well acted soup opera to me.
October 8, 2013
Great movie based on Thomas Hardy's novel. Utterly dramatic but sometimes full of hope, this story is definitely sad. Actors are perfect. Kate Winslet is stunning in her role and Eccleston is moving. A movie not to be seen when we are in low spirits.
September 3, 2013
based on hardy's tale of rural british life in the late 1800's, jude the obscure. also a commentary on socail class structure, religion and mores. beautifully shot and nicely presented .....
½ June 5, 2013
Una interesante película acerca de como el prejuicio de la gente puede destruir una familia hasta llegar a la muerte.....
½ June 4, 2013
WOW! Si me dicen una película que esté en un top 10 de dramas sin dudas Jude está presente. Una Kate que como siempre deslumbra, más joven y fresca pero con su porte y calidad de actriz como la de hoy en día. MUY recomendable.
½ March 15, 2013
good movie but beware the end is a little much to take in
½ January 27, 2013
You like sad and tragic movie. Then watch this..
½ January 1, 2013
harrowing ending but Thomas Hardy classic.
December 7, 2012
Looks interesting will try to find and watch!
September 19, 2012
kate in a thomas hardy novel, tragic, but she gives a very fine performance for this one.
July 21, 2012
Esta cinta no podía acabar bien. Se me hace bien lograda y creo que va desdibujando muy bien absolutamente todo y TODO no pudo llegar a otro final que el que presentaron. Esta cinta demuestra tambià (C)n que el pensamiento colectivo tiene que evolucionar en algún momento y para ello es necesario que alguien comienza, aunque eso signifique que se convierta en rechazado social. Maravillosa la forma en que Kate Winslet te transporta a ese punto sin retorno y cómo se complementa con Christopher Eccleston. Una de las mejores actuaciones de ambos.
June 20, 2012
9th and 10th doctors first movie together lol
June 2, 2012
I feared I might get a bit bored of this, having completed Thomas Hardy's novel only a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't once thanks to star turns from Christopher Eccleston and Kate Winslet, who really made it very engaging to watch. I think Hardy would have given this the thumbs-up if he were alive today.
½ May 30, 2012
Yet more evidence that Winterbottom is one of the most diverse directors around. Fascinating film, and it certainly inspired me to read some Hardy, but the film was never really convincing for me. Most characters and relationships were simply not fleshed out enough, and their motivation was lacking. Probably a result of over-ambitious compression of the novel into a short-ish film, but perhaps it needed an extra hour or so.
½ April 10, 2012
A poor man from a small town in 19th century Britain who tries to break away from poverty and get an education meets problems at every turn. Kind of boring at times but comes to a horribly tragic end. Kate Winslet was superb.
½ April 1, 2012
Harsh movie but very good