Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle Reviews

½ November 17, 2018
not too good, not too bad.
November 15, 2018
When's the last time you've been surprised, in general? Like say you were expecting to hate a particular experience that you ended up pleasantly surprised by how much you actually came to enjoy it. I think that that would be the perfect way to describe this movie and people's reactions toward it. I saw a few people comment on how awful the movie actually looked in its trailers. Though, if I'm being fair, in regards to these people, they may have still thought that the movie was terrible even after watching it, if they did bother to watch it. First impressions are really important and, really, in a lot of cases, that can make or break your movie for some people. I've always tried to be open-minded when it comes to that, but that doesn't mean that I'm not bound to judge a movie based on my reaction to its trailer. Like I've mentioned a few times before, I thought the trailer to Serenity was awful and that movie, realistically speaking, ended up being one of my favorite sci-fi movies of all time. I don't know if I'd say I was surprised at the fact that this movie was, you know, actually good. I'd say that I'm more surprised at the fact at how massively successful this movie ended up being. To put it into perspective, this was the FIFTH highest grossing movie of 2017. Ahead of such movies like SpiderMan: Homecoming, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Wonder Woman. All three of these movies are based on established, long-running franchises. Whereas this was a sequel/soft-reboot to a movie that was released, at this point, over 23 years ago. I suppose that nostalgia had SOMETHING to do with that, given that it's, again, the sequel to a somewhat beloved movie starring Robin Williams. But, realistically speaking, for this to be the fifth-highest grossing movie of last year, there has to be something more at play here than nostalgia. I was, quite literally, in the dark at the time of this film's release last year, so I do not have any knowledge as to how it was actually promoted. I think a mix of nostalgia, the strong casting and really positive word-of-mouth was the driving force for this film's success. Honestly, I can't really tell you what I was expecting out of this movie. I know I liked Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart in Central Intelligence. I know I like Jack Black and Karen Gillan, but I did not know how these four would come together and mesh in this type of setting. Though, to be fair, I think that, at the highest level, the casting is rarely ever a problem. So I think you could have, quite easily, predicted that this movie, at the very least, would have a great cast. Which it, obviously, does. I don't know if I would say that I was pleasantly surprised by this movie as it's not like I thought that this was the second coming of action adventure movies. But I definitely would say that I enjoyed my time with this movie quite a bit. Having said that, I do believe that the movie has some flaws. Chief among them being that I don't think there was enough material in this movie to justify a near two-hour runtime. I don't wanna say that the movie dragged horribly, but it did drag after the first 2/3rds or so of it. And this is, typically, when movies normally slow down, but I would have thought that this would have been kept to a short and sweet 95 minutes, in order for it to be more of a sprint to the finish, but that's not what happened. And the thing is, while I appreciate the film trying to give its characters some some sort of growth, it all, essentially, boils down to 'we're not so different after all', learning to work together as a team (in spite of those 'differences') and forming generic bonds of friendship. The plot borrows slightly from the original, as Alex Vreeke has been stuck in the game for 20 years, like Robin's character in the original, except he thinks he's only been in the game for a few months. I think one of the big problems the film suffers from, and perhaps I'm clearly overanalyzing what's, ultimately, a really silly movie, but there's a certain disconnect between the real-life characters and their in-game avatars. That's obviously supposed to be the gimmick. The shy, geeky teen is the big, strong and handsome man. The jock is the short, unathletic, basically, glorified backpack. The self-absorbed teen is the overweight, middle-aged man. And lastly, the shy, but cynical girl is the Lara Croft-ripoff. That's the thing, the teens are exactly the opposite of who they actually are in the game. But there's still a certain disconnect. And I really do not know how to explain it, but I feel that a lot of you might feel the same if you watch the movie as well. I mean, those are certainly some big issues, but I don't think it still dampened the fun I had with the movie. I did like how the in-game Jumanji stuff does kind of feel like an old-school video game like Crash Bandicoot or even the aforementioned Tomb Raider. But, quite clearly, the movie borrows a lot from series like Indiana Jones with the traps and whatnot and more modern gaming franchises like Uncharted with the bigger set piece moments. But, really, the driving force of the movie is the chemistry between the four leads and, honestly, they do deliver the goods and they really are the lifeblood of the movie. That's not to suggest that any of these four are irreplaceable, but they definitely carry a lot of the load and they do a great job. That the humor isn't out of this world isn't much of a bother, the movie is entertaining enough, so its comedy doesn't need to be outstanding. One thing that I do wonder about is how come the characters instantly assume that, they're given three lives, once they lose all three lives, they die in the game and in the real world. What would lead them to make that assumption? I realize I'm looking at this as someone who, you know, actually plays video games and also as someone who thinks logically, but wouldn't dying, technically, spit me out into the real world again? Or, at worst, just take me back to the beginning. Granted, Jumanji is a bit of an asshole of a game, so it probably is going to find a way to kill them in real life as well, but it's just something to think about. With that said, as I mentioned, there are clearly a lot of flaws with this movie, but this offers a fun and completely undemanding popcorn experience. Pacing issues and bland character development aside, the fun interplay between the cast, the setting and the tone definitely help make up for a lot of its deficiencies. It's not perfect, but it entertained me. Ultimately that's all that matters. I'd definitely recommend this if you're looking for something that's easy to watch, nothing more, nothing less.
November 13, 2018
Surprisingly funny and a really enjoyable popcorn flick. The actors have great chemistry and even though some scenes are cheesy, the movie doesn't take itself too seriously.
November 7, 2018
This sequel is surprisingly MUCH BETTER than the original that came out in 1995. The original Jumanji movie was decent, but this sequel is just SO MUCH BETTER and FUNNIER! The original is actually crap compared to its sequel. Welcome to the Jungle is such a rare movie sequel. The Rock, Kevin Hart, Jack Black, Karen Gillan, and Nick Jonas are all great and funny in this movie, especially Kevin Hart! Kevin Hart is so hilarious in this movie! He and the Rock have great chemistry, in fact, the entire main cast have amazing chemistry together. One of the funniest films I have ever seen. There were some really hilarious sexual innuendos in this. I had a total blast watching this movie. One of the best films of 2017. One of the best sequels in Hollywood ever. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is an excellent sequel that surprisingly surpasses the original by a long shot.

Rating: 7.7/10
October 31, 2018
Good movie, loads of laughs, a bit of schoolboy humor, but overall a fun flick to watch. I really liked it!
October 31, 2018
this movie is so funny its honestly just amazing. this one and central intelligence are the 2 movies lived laughed the most watching. go watch it
½ October 28, 2018
A decent updated version of the beloved Robin Williams film
October 27, 2018
Whether it's a sequel or a reboot, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is an epic adventure that inventively expands its source material to match the interest of a new generation. The movie is incredibly fun thanks to the irresistible comedic and action charm of its brilliant cast. Kudos to Johnson, Black, Hart, and Anderson for their fantastic performances as teenagers because that's the main reason for the movie's success. Nearly 22 years later the world of Jumanji is still exciting, suspenseful, and immensely entertaining .
½ October 23, 2018
Generic movie, but it's pretty fun at times, 5/10
October 21, 2018
Solid funny movie. Worth the time.
½ October 17, 2018
A stupid mindless but fun action/adventure COMEDY. Also Completely nonchalant insult to a far SUPERIOR film's namesake for instant brand recognition.
½ October 10, 2018
Hart and Black provide many memorable one-liners bolstered by solid performances by The Rock and Jonas in what culminates in a reputable remake of a childhood classic.
October 8, 2018
I expected to "like" this, but I didn't expect to love it! It was really clever and funny, paid homage to the original in a respectful manner and had a great cast. Very fun - not Shakespeare by any means, but certainly good fun and a worthy way to spend a couple hours.
October 8, 2018
This is a great movie.
½ October 7, 2018
Kevin Hart and Dwayne Johnson are funny as hell....well worth the time!
October 6, 2018
I was one of the truly skeptical people that thought seeing this movie would be awful. However, I took my parents on their word that they enjoyed it and bit the bullet. I watched it and pleasantly surprised is the perfect way to describe my reaction. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has proven multiple times that he has perfect comedic timing and this movie is no different. He and Kevin Hart play off each other so well. Jack Black was a great teenage girl. Karen Gillan was amazing, especially making fun of the costume she originally hated. The perfect cast.

I loved watching Karen Gillan (and stunt double) take down a bad guy with a Hurricanrana just like red haired, high flying, former WWE diva Lita. Overall, an enjoyable, doesn't make you think too much, funny film. It doesn't seek to replace or be better than the first but stands on its own as a funny reboot/sequel.
September 29, 2018
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is directed by Jake Kasdan, written by Chris McKenna and staring Dwayne Johnson, Karen Gillan, Jack Black and Kevin Hart.

Story by Chris McKenna, and it's about four high-school kids discover an old video game console with a game they've never heard of--Jumanji--they are immediately drawn into the game's jungle setting, literally becoming the avatars they chose: gamer Spencer becomes a brawny adventurer (Dwayne Johnson); football jock Fridge loses (in his words) "the top two feet of his body" and becomes an Einstein (Kevin Hart); popular girl Bethany becomes a middle-aged male professor (Jack Black); and wallflower Martha becomes a badass warrior (Karen Gillan). What they discover is that you don't just play Jumanji--you must survive it. To beat the game and return to the real world, they'll have to go on the most dangerous adventure of their lives, discover what Alan Parrish left 20 years ago, and change the way they think about themselves--or they'll be stuck in the game forever...

I liked this movie so much, it's unique and better than the first Jumanji, but Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle isn't a sequel, it stands on it's own.

Anyways, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is full of action sequences which were very good, very talented performances in the world of Jumanji, but in the real life, the performances were bad, and it takes to another thing I hated about this movie, I didn't see so much of Jumanji or lots of animals as I expected to see. The CGI of the animals wasn't that good anyway.

The story is really good, I loved every sequence of this movie, it's like video game but a movie, I loved it!

The sense of humor of this movie is really funny, I liked that , but Kevin Hart with Dwayne Johnson scene was so Central Intelligence, I didn't that, but I laughed though.

I liked Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle very much and I'm gonna give it a B+.

Thank you, guys as always for reading my review, I hope you liked it, and I welcome all of your comments.
September 27, 2018
Super fun. Very different than the original - and that's ok!
½ September 25, 2018
Good, better than I expected
September 25, 2018
Very true to the original - and to the concept of MMORG gaming - lot's of fun